Start by marking “Winds of Evil (A Scribner Crime Classics)” as Want to Read:
Winds of Evil (A Scribner Crime Classics)

Winds of Evil (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte #5)

Detective-Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte sets out to investigate two bizarre murders in the Australian outback, but all the clues to the year-old murder have been confused by a bumbling policeman. Soon, however, the murderer emerges to stop Bony from finding out the truth.
Published July 1st 1987 by Collier Books (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Winds of Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winds of Evil

Marianne
Oct 03, 2016 Marianne rated it it was amazing
Gleeful anticipation describes the approach of Detective Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte to an interesting case, and it also describes how any reader familiar with Arthur Upfield’s Bony series begins one of those novels. Winds of Evil is the fifth novel of the series. Bony arrives at the outback NSW town of Carie to investigate the strangling murders of an aboriginal girl and a white man, as well as the attempted strangling of a white woman.

Under the guise of a farm labourer, Bony discovers that a
Kathryn
As always, an intriguing and clever Napoleon Bonaparte mystery. This one was a little poignant. And it was nice to come across some characters from the previous book.
Andrew
Dec 13, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it
An Australian colleague introduced me to the murder mysteries of Arthur Upfield, and his protagonist Napoleon “Bony” Bonaparte. (In return, I got him Florida writers Marjorie Kinnon Rawlings and Tim Dorsey. But I digress.) I've since acquired almost the entire series, and am reading them at a comfortable pace.

Upfield presents an issue for the modern reader. Bony is a “half-caste”, with both white (English descendant) and Aboriginal parentage. On one hand, Upfield is a product of his time, implyi
Nancy Oakes
Jan 21, 2009 Nancy Oakes rated it really liked it
#5 in the series featuring Napoleon Bonaparte (Bony, as he prefers to be called), the (and I quote the book here) "half-caste" detective who does not like to think of himself as a policeman. These books are set in Australia; Bony had a white father and aboriginal mother, now has children of his own & loves his job: detecting & crime solving. In this installment, he has a rather perplexing mission: he must not only solve a crime that is a year old, but he must prevent another one from ...more
Debbie
Oct 25, 2013 Debbie rated it really liked it
First I had read of this classic-era mystery. Originally written in the 1930s, the mystery has the unique setting of the Australian outback and a detective who had an Aborigine mother. Bony, the detective, is in the church of the great detective, very self assured of his abilities and unique observational skills, but an entirely different pew, since his talents lie in his Aboriginal roots and his ability to track and read the signs of nature, besides intuit human behavior. The attitude of others ...more
Sally
Mar 27, 2013 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I am a fan of Arthur Upfield's "Bony" books. I thought I had read all of them back in the 1990s, but I didn't remember this one at all. In this mystery, the setting is in New South Wales where periodic sandstorms blow through, and in this case, a sandstorm has hidden evidence of who committed a couple of murders and a near-murder. The clever inspector once again uses his skills to see clues others have not seen and to observe people and figure out why they might do what they do. This is a good ...more
Judy Frye
Mar 08, 2016 Judy Frye rated it it was amazing
Upfield has created a delightfully eccentric character in Detective Boney Bonaparte. Half cast Boney has intimate knowledge of "the bush" and "the Outback" where nature reigns supreme. He uses nature and his cunning mind to solve crimes. I can't wait to read another Boney mystery even though I spend hours searching the web for images of the blue tongued lizard, Kookaburra, galah, boab trees and mythical bunyip. I appreciate that Upfield doesn't describe these Australian natives in great detail ...more
Mary Center
May 14, 2016 Mary Center rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent mystery!

Mister Upfield has to be one of the most descriptive authors I have ever read, and I've read a lot. His descriptions of Australia of long ago make you feel like you are there. You feel as though you are with the detective helping solve the crime. I highly recommend this book to any cozy mystery lover.
George
Mar 10, 2013 George rated it really liked it
Mystery set in the outback of Australia and one of a series featuring "half-caste" Detective-Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte who is sent to this isolated area to solve a series of murders. Interesting story line as "Bony" works on solving the case. A number of interesting characters and relationships.
Gerald McFarland
Apr 21, 2016 Gerald McFarland rated it liked it
Detective-Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, a mixed-race Australian, has gone undercover to identify a serial killer. His methods are not unlike the classic Sherlock Holmes approach, although his Native background infuses his inquiries with an intuitive side to go with his Holmes-like close scrutiny of detail. Upfield has a droll style. He gives the plot a clever twist in the final chapter.
Jill
Jan 15, 2016 Jill rated it really liked it
Lovely to read an old Bony book again but attitudes to women and coloured people really stand out. These books are true to the era and even Bony feels negative about half castes of which he is one! I found it difficult to read of these attitudes but I was warned at the beginning of the book that this might be the case. Enjoyed the book around these difficult issues .
Mary Newcomb
Bony pieces together disparate facts into an intriguing resolution of several surprising events. While some of the underlying assumptions are questionable, I find the look into the Australian bush to be informative.

Fred
Fred rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2011
Bill Adams
Bill Adams rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2013
John Bode
John Bode rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2014
MaryAnn Prenger
MaryAnn Prenger rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Mary Haggar
Mary Haggar rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Janine
Janine rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Will
Will rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2016
Candy Cheek
Candy Cheek rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2014
Lynn Jenkins
Lynn Jenkins rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2012
Griz
Griz rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Armelle
Armelle rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2011
Dallas Window
Dallas Window rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2012
Scottie
Scottie rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2015
Vena
Vena rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2009
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2012
Janelle
Janelle rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Bejay
Bejay rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Heavenly Christmas Tree
  • Far to Go
  • Let The Dead Lie (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #2)
  • Violent Exposure (Detective Ella Marconi #4)
  • Season of Shadow and Light
  • Secret Scribbled Notebooks
  • At Home in Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #8)
  • Dandelion Cottage (Dandelion Cottage, #1)
  • A Murder, a Mystery and a Marriage
  • The First Sir Percy: an Adventure of the Laughing Cavalier
  • Told After Supper
  • Kittyhawk Down (Inspector Challis, #2)
  • George Muller: Man of Faith and Miracles
  • All Shot Up (Harlem Cycle, #5)
  • Girl of Shadows (Convict Girls #2)
  • Blood Born (Dr. Anya Crichton, #4)
  • The Best Man
  • Mr Chen's Emporium
Aka Arthur Upfield

Arthur William Upfield (1 September 1890 – 13 February 1964) was an Australian writer, best known for his works of detective fiction featuring Detective Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte ('Bony') of the Queensland Police Force, a half-caste Aborigine.

Born in England, Upfield moved to Australia in 1910 and fought with the Australian military during the First World War. Following his wa
More about Arthur W. Upfield...

Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Barrakee Mystery
  • The Sands of Windee (Bony, #2)
  • Wings Above the Diamantina
  • Murder Down Under
  • The Bone is Pointed (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, #6)
  • The Mystery of Swordfish Reef