Start by marking “Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  1,304 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
With simple step-by-step instructions and 175 delicious recipes, this book will have even the timidest beginners filling pantries and freezers in no time! Put 'em Up! includes complete how-to information for every kind of preserving: refrigerating, freezing, air- and oven-drying, cold- and hot-pack canning, and pickling. Sherri Brooks Vinton includes recipes that range fro ...more
Published June 24th 2010 by Storey Publishing (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Put 'em Up!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Put 'em Up!

jess
Sep 05, 2011 jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, 2011
I read a lot of jam and preserving books these days. I feel like it's cheating to add cookbooks to goodreads. But you know what, I have made a lot of recipes from this book and I am crazy about it and someone needs to stand up and take notice of that. And I am behind on my 2011 book count in no small part because I spend most of my time reading books about jam & pickles and making jam & pickles.

From this book, I made dilly beans, the Szechuan Beans, Ginger Peach Jam, cherry preserves (b
Sean
May 13, 2011 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I have this fantasy that Susie and I are living lives as some sort of DIY, locovore, urban-farmer survivalist couple, which leads me to read a lot about things like urban gardening, chicken-raising, bee-keeping, and food preservation. This book falls into the last category, and its a good one! Plenty of techniques and recipes are covered here, from root cellar storage to drying, canning, fermentation and pickling. If I'm ever able to trick out my house with beehives, a bat-house, a chicken co ...more
Katie
Such a wonderful and fun guide to food preservation! This book gave me the confidence I needed to start canning, something I've wanted to do for a couple of years now. Sherri Brooks makes canning seem so doable, and her instructions are clear and easy to follow. The recipes make small batches, perfect for when you just have a little extra produce lying around, and easily multiplied if you want to make it an all-day affair. Plus, everything sounds SO GOOD! Since buying this book two weeks ago, I' ...more
AJ
Nov 15, 2014 AJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2010, own, cookbook
This book is beautiful, informative, and filled with a lot of interesting and exciting recipes. The book does not just center around canning (which I assumed given the cover) which I like because most books I've read only have recipes for one preservation method. I will be very sad when I have to return this to the library. I love the illustrations, colors, icons and design... and the recipes aren't so bad either!
Mabeo
Sep 21, 2011 Mabeo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I wanted a kind of guide to canning etc and this covered that requirement but the real reason I chose it is because of the layout of the book. Its laid out by type of produce and then all the things you can do with that item. So if you have a ton of peaches it goes through all the different things you can do with peaches with recipes and instructions. SO we'll see if I end up liking it when I read/use it but so far I'm loving it.

Ok, I do really like being able to look things up by produce an
Ann Keller
Jul 23, 2012 Ann Keller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This comprehensive guide to home preserving should be on every cook’s shelf! Full of inspiring recipes for making salsas, relishes and chutneys, this book also provides excellent instruction on preserving with the boiling water method and making fermented pickles.

Ms. Vinton also cautions the amateur cook how to ensure that the foods are packed well for storage. This is an all important element of home preserving, one most young cooks worry about considerably. How does a cook ensure that there is
Gretchen
Feb 09, 2011 Gretchen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is on my re-read and must buy list! A great canning book Wende recommended, it has great tips for a beginning canner like me and really interesting recipes listed by main fruit/veggie. I love that the batch sizes are small enough to just try using what I might get from my csa or pick up at the market in any given week to make a few pints (unlike other canning recipes that require real investment and commitment to the results).
Kelly
Jan 27, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Savior
[image error]

Humanity condemned to vulgarity.
Kellyann
Feb 29, 2012 Kellyann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
So easy to use for someone who's never canned before (or dried, frozen, or otherwise put up produce for the season. I've used several of the recipes and been really pleased with the results.
Lapotagère
Very good...
Rose
Dec 04, 2016 Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit fancier than I would prepare for our own larder but I did find some useful ideas. The recipes are very well written and has beautiful images. I borrowed this from my local library.
Lkowalczyk
Oct 14, 2016 Lkowalczyk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is a re-read as I've had the book now for several years. It refreshes my memory and it's like talking to an old friend about canning and harvesting. It's a must-have book if you're a beginner or coming back to canning after a long time away like I was. Her recipes are clear, concise and very easy to follow. Her companion book Put 'em Up! Fruit! is a good one, also.
Angeline
Jul 31, 2013 Angeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery
A great book for home preserving. It's organized alphabetically by fruit or vegetable including figs, onions, tomatoes and berries. This is very helpful if you have an abundance of a particular fruit are bursting at the seems with cucumbers . Speaking of cucumbers, some of the recipes for those are cucumber agua fresca, cucumber sake, bread and butter pickles, and dill pickles. The pickle recipe offers the refriderator or canning preservation methods.

The author includes simple to follow instruc
Dogdaysinaz
Oct 14, 2013 Dogdaysinaz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, allergic-foodie
Although I did not have a chance to make any of the recipes during the short time that I had this book from the library, I am planning to pick up my own copy.

The step-by-step instructions for processes ranging from traditional canning to freezing and even making infused alcohols or vinegars seem very well written and illustrated. Then each fruit or vegetable has its own section. For example, rhubarb has several pages (unexpectedly!) including pickle, chutney, and jam, as well as how to freeze rh
Rachel
Sep 05, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite thing about this book is the way that it is organized! Rather than grouping recipes according to method of preservation, this book groups according to type of fruit/veg. It also has a very handy j fez on every single page to point you back to the technique for the recipe. For example, every recipe has the ingredient list, the preparation, and the preservation methods to use for that particular recipe. I can then look at the index on the left side to bring me back to the page that exp ...more
Allison
I thought this was a really great book. The recipes sounded good and the author made preserving food seem pretty easy. She doesn't get into pressure canning at all so it's not a comprehensive canning book. I've made a couple of her recipes so far and the downside for me is that the recipes called for weights of foods. I don't have a kitchen scale and it would have been so much easier for me if she said "three cups sliced zucchini" instead of "two pounds zucchini, sliced". Or whatever the equival ...more
James Eckman
This is the second recent canning book I've read that skips over canning with a pressure cooker. It must be a lost process or no longer the fashion. The book does include a fair amount of Asian and Latin America recipes, a refreshing change from older works and a bit on drying fruits and other goodies. The basics are well covered with illustrated step by step instructions, a beginner should have little problems following the recipes. Also many of the recipes have a freezer pickle option, so you ...more
Katherine
I enjoyed the reassurance this book gave about how fun canning is and how you aren't "going to kill anyone." It breaks down the processes for making jams, jellies, cold- and hot-packed pickles... And lots of nice looking recipes!
- Pickled Beets with Cumin and Cloves
- Pickled Watermelon Rind
Liz
Jan 05, 2011 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
The first 100 pages provide great detail and instructions for the various types of preserving foods while the rest of the book focuses on specific recipes. I love that the book is broken down into sections based on each food and the processes available. The recipes look delicious, and I can't wait for next summer when I plan to spend several weeks putting up my grandma's garden with her. Fantastic book!
Jodi
Sep 19, 2011 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
This is a great book for anyone interested in preserving food. It is laid out nicely, very easy to navigate, and I really like how it is broken down by different foods. If you find yourself with more plums than you know what to do with, you can just flip to the plum section and see a variety of ideas from chutney, to sugar plums to jam. The author is spunky and obviously loves what she does -- her recipes have me very inspired!
Nancy
Jul 13, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Curried Cauliflower, Szechuan Green Beans, Pickled Asparagus, and that was just the first night! Need I say more? All these recipes are for small batches, usually 3 pints. The Curried Cauliflower required only a single head of cauliflower, a red bell pepper and an onion. No need to invest in bushels of produce, some of which will go bad before you get around to completing the canning. This book is perfect for Farmer's Market shoppers!
Robin
Sep 16, 2010 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I spend a lot of the summer "putting up" jams, pickles, fruits and veggies and this was a fun take on more modern recipes. Not the kind of stuff your grandma would preserve. (Homemade spiced pear infused vodka!) Lots of recipes for freezing, drying and infused alcohols if you aren't into canning. My only complaint is that a lot of the recipes measure by pounds of produce instead of measuring by cups, which makes it a little hard to follow if you don't have a kitchen scale.
Rebecca
Apr 16, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-and-drink
Love how this book is categorized by food, now when rhubarb is in season, all I need to do is turn to that section. Lots of lovely recipes that are easy to make with very good instructions.

Also some nicely illustrated canning tips and info. I consider this the updated recipes of preserving, its not the same old stuff your grandma made. Its not traditional canning over vats of hot water, this book includes many alternatives.
Judith
So far, I like the recipes! Hard to find* Pomona's pectin though. Lots of recipes in here are calling for the

I'd love a few more anecdotes like "I come from a long line of white lightening..."

I like how the information is prevented and definitely want to try these drying and freezing methods, but there's not enough emphasis on pressure canning, which you need to do if you are using vegetables.

*found at Whole Foods
Ami
Feb 21, 2011 Ami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gave me a literary first: I'm in love with a cookbook. I'm talking about head over heels infatuation people. And it's not just any cookbook, it's a gorgeously photographed, easy to understand book about canning, freezing, infusing, pickling, and preserving. Hence, it feeds my dreams/delusions of being a farmer along with providing awesome recipes and techniques. It's a win/win kind of book. And I have already bought my copy off Amazon. Ahh....true love...sigh.
Lea
Aug 28, 2011 Lea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This basic guide to home preserving includes an appropriate amount of detail for the novice canner and, most importantly, includes recipes for foods that I would actually want to make. Not the place to look for tips on obscure preparations for obscure produce. Just a handy reference for someone who wants to get started in the kitchen. I'm already looking forward to the cold winter day when I crack open the pickled carrots I put up last night.
Feb 28, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love It!! This book has all the basics for someone who has never preserved food. Everything is organized so well and step by step, EASY instructions gave me the confidence to put up my own food. In addition to the preservation instructions for dehydrating, freezing, refrigerating, and shelving are delicious looking/sounding recipes and ideas for use. All I need are my canning supplies now. :-)
Gretchen
Sep 22, 2012 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
The author seems to know what she is talking about when it comes to preserving produce. The book is arranges by the type of produce rather than the technique used to preserve it, which is good because when you are presented with an abundance of say string beans, it is all contained in a single section of the book. She gives recipes and methods of preserving from freezing, canning, pickling, drying, jams, etc.
Kim
May 07, 2013 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking, 2013
I think this would be most ideal for anyone that is looking into canning or saving food for the long haul. While the beginning was very basic (and I just skimmed over since I've been canning for a few years now), I did like the pictures and in depth details. There are lots of great looking recipes but not much that I'll be using this coming year.
Laura Elizabeth
This is a surprising read! It’s informative, easy to understand, and filled with interesting recipes! It’s helpful to those new to canning and preserving, and especially since I now live in the country and have many more veggies to keep fresh. What I liked too, is that she gives advice for the amateur cook (such as myself) on how to make sure foods are packed well for storage.
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry
  • Urban Pantry: Tips and Recipes for a Thrifty, Sustainable and Seasonal Kitchen
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • The Joy of Pickling: 300 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market
  • The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes to Use Year-Round
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods
  • Ball Blue Book of Preserving
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • Tart and Sweet: 101 Canning and Pickling Recipes for the Modern Kitchen
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Putting Food By
  • Preserving by the Pint: Quick Seasonal Canning for Small Spaces
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables