Start by marking “Floating” as Want to Read:
Floating

Floating

Winner of the MTV Fiction Contest
Marking the debut of a vibrant new voice in American fiction, Floating is a poignant and sharply original novel about the fragile boundaries between desire, love, and betrayal. For most people, Whitticker, Arizona, population 641, is just a rest stop on a highway to somewhere else. But for twenty-five-year-old Ruby Pearson, there is nowhe
Published October 1st 1998 by MTV Books

To ask other readers questions about Floating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Floating

Speedtribes
This book is just about what you would expect from a girl who writes about some place in the midwest and has horses on the cover. I expected horses, but they weren't really a strong presence. The "I write about midwestern love, pickup trucks and water buckets." tone was, however.

I'd come across this book right on the tail end of reading Dogrun, which has a completely opposite tone and feel. I can't say the story really drew me in, and the writing style, while clean and pretty would really only s
Madilyn
dnf @ pg87
I was completely turned off by Ruby. The way she's described doesn't match how she acts at all. And still, it just wasn't clicking for me. These people are hollow and gross. Right, take advantage of the lady not remembering you, Sean, and bang your brother's wife while he's in jail. Awesome -.-
Tory
Sep 02, 2007 Tory rated it did not like it
Dull.

It had the potential to be less so, but it never got there. None of the characters were very likeable, except maybe Brian. The eight year old.

Mostly the author just told you things about the characters, but there was no written proof. Ruby was supposedly wonderful and loved and adored… but there was no content that would make the reader think so about her.
Emily
May 06, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
I read this because it was part of the MTV books that were popular about five years ago. I felt bad for the main female character being stuck in a situation like that but it happens to many women all the time so the plot wasn't very original or refreshing.
Cheryl
Oct 28, 2009 Cheryl rated it did not like it
All through this book I had this weird feeling that i"d already read it, but I read it again anyway which turned out to be a gigantic waste of my time. Boring, and definitely not worth a second read.
sisterimapoet
Jan 22, 2008 sisterimapoet rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-2011
It read more like a novella - but not a bad one at that. I liked the sparse nature of the people and the prose. I liked the way it ended back where it began.
Jazzy D
Aug 29, 2014 Jazzy D rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
stupid.
Hope
Hope rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2009
Tanya Cabacang
Tanya Cabacang rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2011
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2011
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2007
Amara
Amara rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2014
Lauren Lee
Lauren Lee rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2012
TaMara
TaMara rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Amanda Faraj
Amanda Faraj rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2012
Jo
Jo rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2015
Linzy Alivia
Linzy Alivia rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2011
Kenzie
Kenzie rated it it was ok
May 13, 2015
Lucia
Lucia rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2009
Meg
Meg rated it it was ok
May 28, 2009
Traci
Traci rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2011
Linsey
Linsey rated it did not like it
Apr 10, 2012
Jeni
Jeni rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2017
Shayla
Shayla rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2016
Kim Dare
Kim Dare rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2008
kt
kt rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2009
Mary Antonette
Mary Antonette rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2012
Alyssa Montague
Alyssa Montague rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2015
  • Pieces: A Collection of New Voices
  • 253
  • The Alphabetical Hookup List A-J
  • Among Other Things, I've Taken Up Smoking
  • The New Rules of Attraction: How to Get Him, Keep Him, and Make Him Beg for More
  • Girls in Peril: A Novella
  • Cool Japan: A Guide to Tokyo, Kyoto, Tohoku and Japanese Culture Past and Present
  • The Points Of My Compass