Start by marking “René Leys” as Want to Read:
René Leys

René Leys

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In this entrancing story of spiritual adventure, a Westerner in Peking seeks the mystery at the heart of the Forbidden City. He takes as a tutor in Chinese the young Belgian René Leys, who claims to be in the know about strange goings-on in the Imperial Palace: love affairs, family quarrels, conspiracies that threaten the very existence of the empire. But whether truth-tel ...more
Published July 31st 2003 by NYRB Classics (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about René Leys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about René Leys

Justin Evans
My edition of this book, an old 'Quartet Encounters' (they specialized in Euro lit that wasn't published in the U.S. or U.K., and many of their titles are now published by NYRB), features a blurb from Publishers Weekly on how the novel "probes the frustrations of man's inability to grasp the unknown." But I must disrespectfully disagree, because if the book was that, I would have been bored stupid, and also not able to concentrate, because quotes from every important philosopher since Kant would ...more
Peter Crofts
After reading the recent Wesleyan University edition of Steles, which, for me, is certainly one of the most fascinating texts of early French modern poetry, I immediately got ahold of Rene Leys. Leys is a fairly well known piece of French literature which has developed something of a cult following as one of the forgotten masterpieces of early 20th century writing. The atmosphere and the general sense of incompleteness that pervades the text has been likened to Kafka. I suppose I should have pai ...more
Victoria

Pierre Ryckmans, whom I admire more day by day as I read his essays collected as The Hall of Uselessness, took his pen name of Simon Leys from the title character of this book, and one wondered why, and who Victor Segalen is.

Rene Leys is a well-wrought, innovative, and consistently compelling novel about the way China can capture a westerner's imagination, a certain kind of westerner, open to the culture and history of the ancient kingdom, and with a touch of romance to the soul.

The novel imme
I can't even begin to describe how thoroughly enthralled I was by this novel. (And how happy I was to not have read the introduction before reading the book.) An entrancing account of China in 1911 from a European perspective, this is a book of being on the outside looking in, and of romanticizing the unknown. And was absolutely a pleasure to read. Recommended very highly, this is the best fiction I've read in quite a while!
Aqil Dhanani
An interesting read. A little bit slow to start and a little bit fast to finish. It's really just an insight to a mysterious character and hi exploits.
Elizabeth Bradley
the snobberies of french colonialists in Peking...a little dreamy and stilted so far, but I like it...

...strange, decadent, fun.
Arthur
Great novel on the impossibility of knowing. I think it will be added to my list of favorite NYRB Classics.
Huy
Đọc tới những trang cuối cùng mới thấy rằng nó rất là thú vị.
Jeanette
Jan 10, 2009 Jeanette marked it as to-read
Shelves: classics
recommended by alberto manguel
Scott
Written in the early 1900's, but has a very contemporary ironic voice. Story of a French ambassador to Beijing who meets a young Belgian who apparently has unprecedented access to the Forbidden Palace.
Ngan Le
Ngan Le marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Adam Spurlock
Adam Spurlock marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Tijs
Tijs marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Acw
Acw marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Riley
Riley marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Marja
Marja marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Justin Loke
Justin Loke marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
A.R.
A.R. marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Mcclintic Sphere
Mcclintic Sphere marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Shyam
Shyam marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Dwaine Schoner
Dwaine Schoner marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
  • The Radiance of the King
  • Memoirs of Montparnasse
  • Pages from the Goncourt Journals
  • Alien Hearts
Steles Essay on Exoticism: An Aesthetics of Diversity Équipée: Voyage Au Pays Du Réel Odes; suive de Thibet Paintings