Start by marking “Becoming a Contagious Christian” as Want to Read:
Becoming a Contagious Christian

Becoming a Contagious Christian

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  845 ratings  ·  39 reviews
This proven action plan will show you how to impact the spiritual lives of friends, family members, co-workers, and others.
Published September 9th 2008 by Zondervan (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming a Contagious Christian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming a Contagious Christian

Adam Gilchrest
I've attended the Global Leadership Summit for the past few years and always walked away from Bill Hybels talks ready to do something crazy with my life. General George Patton once said, "My theory is that a commander does what is necessary to accomplish his mission and that nearly 80 percent of his mission is to arouse morale in his men." I think by General Pattons standards and in my own small mind Bill Hybels is an excellent commander.

That being said, this book is jam packed with theoretical
Jeff Bobin
Lot of food for thought and many challenges that will encourage you that you can be yourself and still reach out to others in the name of Jesus.

Matthew Johnson
Hybels provides some helpful tips and methods for starting spiritual conversations and living in a way that can have maximum impact on unbelievers. His formula for this is helpful.
I certainly did not agree with all of Hybels methods or some of his use of Scripture, but Contagious Christian can be helpful in a lot of ways. Hybels is most helpful by saying there is no one way to do evangelism. He avoids the pitfall of a lot of evangelism books which usually try to force everyone into one mold, on
Brian Whited
Hybels has written a book to encourage Christians to become effective witnesses for Christ. He begins his book by stating the reason for evangelism, namely that people matter to God and there are great rewards for becoming a “contagious Christian.” In the rest of his book he goes on to explain how a person can become a better evangelizer by using this formula: High Potency + Close Proximity + Clear Communication = Maximum Impact.

This book is aimed for new Christians or older Christians that hav
Garrett
Hybels likes to speak in business terms, so he breaks down sharing your faith with others to an equasion: HP+CP+CC=MI or High Potency + Close Proximiity + Clear Communication = Maximum Impact.

It's fairly simple and I tend to agree with his main ideas. If you want to share your faith with others, it makes sense that you would need to be in tune with God yourself (high potentcy). It also makes sense that you would need to be intentional about building genuine relationships with non-Christians (cl
Allen Lim
Hmmm... My feelings are mixed about this book. In terms of readability, its certainly not a difficult read, and Hybels does a good job of summarizing the key issues pertaining to the whole area of Evangelism. In particular, I liked his emphasis on being an Authentic Christian, and also his reminders scattered throughout the book to be seeker-sensitive.

I guess my main dislikes about the book is how it came across to me as seemingly too pat... I'm sure that Hybels and the many people he mentioned
Tam
Apr 23, 2007 Tam rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hard to say
Shelves: christianbooks
Mittleberg, Strobel and Hybels are really good guys. They are kind and they are well-intentioned. But that said, I find some of the aspects of the evangelism taught here a little creepy. I'm pretty sure if we knew our Hindu friend had a piece of paper with our name on it and all the possible conversation topics he could use with us, specifically, to preach his Hinduism and the different books he could recommend to us, etc., etc. ... we might be a little freaked out (and we get mad when Scientolo ...more
Eric
I almost gave this a five. It has some excellent chapters but not every chapter is a must read. I was skeptical at first, but Hybels has some very practical, this is how you do evangelism, tips and motivations. His emphasis on being authentic (how can you commend what you don't cherish?) and being in close proximity to people is good stuff. His final chapter on putting it in action and summing everything up is excellent as well.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about
Jim Powell
A fine book that emphasizes evangelism as a calling for all disciples of Christ, without pretending there is only one style or approach appropriate to all situations. Hybels and Mittelberg see establishing and nurturing relationships as central to advancing the kingdom of God. Along these lines, they offer practical advice on how to infuse our relationships with the gospel message. In its simple and direct presentation, the book is theologically sloppy in places ... at times minimizing the work ...more
Debbie
Very encouraging and shows how to be an effective witness for Christ!
I'll be honest that I didn't finish the book. I read about half way through and was too bored to finish. Hybels speaks in business terms to relate evangelism to people in an easy equation. The book certainly motivates and uses many Bible passages to back up why spreading the good news of Christ in every day activities is easy. However, the book was a dry read and I personally just couldn't relate to the business comparisons in each chapter. I would recommend the book to someone who needs motivat ...more
Ernestasia Siahaan
Sedikit membosankan di awal, mungkin karena alur penjabaran poin-poin yang hendak disampaikan cukup lambat. Mungkin juga karena (menurut saya) ada beberapa bagian yang bahasa terjemahannya terasa aneh, sehingga dibutuhkan waktu untuk mencerna maksudnya.

Beberapa hal yang secara pribadi menarik buat saya :
- pencarian iman adalah proses
- setiap orang mempunyai karakter yang berbeda, sehingga kita tidak bisa mengharapkan setiap orang menggunakan cara yang sama untuk memberi pengaruh
Michael
Employing this level of calculation and deliberateness when engaging others seems a little creepy. That said, I've known people with a gift for approaching people with these kinds of methods and for some reason they do not come off as insincere. I took some good things from this book, and I hope those who come to know me benefit from that.

"Such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine
Victoria
Very good book. I am pretty sure one of my pastors did a message series on this, so I got more insight on it from the sermons, but this was really wonderfully written. Not only does it give you a bit by bit understanding biblically of how you can be a contagious Christian, but you get some examples of stories and advice on what you can say or do to improve yourself as a witness for others.
Marilyn
Enjoyable book chosen for our weekly bible study. The takeaway: "You can't be a contagious Christian without getting close enough to other people to let them catch the disease."
Edward
Very helpful to anyone frustrated by a sense of not being able to follow someone's evangelism program. So many evangelism plans are a one-size fits all. Hybels acknowledges we're not all alike in terms of personality, gifting, etc. He offers suggestions as to things that are evangelism that we don't even think of being just that.
Amy
Its been several years since I read this but it is a wonderful book, I love how it emphasizes building relationships with non-Christians, sharing your life with them, and not just looking at them as a project, unlike so many things you hear about how important it is to just share the Gospel with people as quickly as possible.
Adrian
A must-read for all Christians, in my opinion. It offers clear, easy-to-read, practical, heavenly-minded yet down-to-earth advice on how to be believers in Jesus who make Him look good by being attractively authentic, compassionate, and willing to invest their lives in others - the way we are meant to be.
Clint Heitz
Mar 09, 2012 Clint Heitz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ted Heitz
Shelves: religious-texts
Wow! Such a powerful and exciting book! I would highly recommend this to every Christian and I know and even the ones I don't. Hybels and Mittelberg do a fantastic job of showing individuals how to become contagious Christians.
Kim John
We're studying this book for our Connect Group at our church. It's interesting and so far it's helped me to recognize my own style of evangelism and practical ways of witnessing to people according to that style.
Nick
I liked it. It challenged me and is motivating me to go out on a limb and talk more. This was good for me to use as a reference in training and coaching others in our LifeGroup ministry to be more contagious.
Paul Johnson
A fantastic book for any serious christian. Mathew 28:19-20 "Go and make disciples of all nations..." It is life changing and gives great strategies for reaching out and making spiritual conversations.
Brian
An excellent jumping off point for Christians who have never led another to faith in Christ (approx. 98% of all believers).

I taught a class on this for our church. Study guide is also very helpful.
Lee Hopper
Very challenging book. It really gives you a new perspective on life, an eternal perspective. I feel like every day I should wake up with a new purpose, to spread the good news of Jesus Christ.
Kiera
Mar 03, 2008 Kiera is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
We are reading this with our small group bible study group. It's a simple read that causes you to think about your sphere of influence and how you can influence others.
Kelly
I thought this book was amazing! If you want your Christianity to be contagious and help find Gods lost kids, this book will do just that. I want to read it again!
Alex Seals
This book is a great tool for learning how to witness to others. Tons of tips, and a realistic approach. I recommend this for every Christian to read!
Matthew
Not too bad. Hybels will inspire you to get off your duff and do some evangelism, which is a very good thing. I'd give it 2.5 stars, but there's no such thing.
Chris
Awesome book! Filled with great, practical advice on living your faith in such a way to help lead others to Christ. One of the best books I've read this year!
Marjorie
Maybe a 2 1/2. I have visited Willow Creek and altho they have great out reach and do marvelous things, this is not my style.
  • Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul
  • Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship
  • Inside the Mind of Unchurched Harry and Mary: How to Reach Friends and Family Who Avoid God and the Church
  • Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them
  • Essential Truths of the Christian Faith
  • Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples
  • Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
  • Spiritual Leadership
  • The Unexpected Adventure: Taking Everyday Risks to Talk with People about Jesus
  • The Master Plan of Evangelism
  • Roaring Lambs: A Gentle Plan to Radically Change Your World
  • Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics: An Exegetical Syntax of the New Testament
Bill Hybels is the founding and senior pastor of Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Ill., and chairman of the board for the Willow Creek Association. The bestselling author of more than twenty books, including Axiom, Holy Discontent, Just Walk Across the Room, The Volunteer Revolution, Courageous Leadership, and classics such as Too Busy Not to Pray and Becoming a Contagious Christ ...more
More about Bill Hybels...
Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God Courageous Leadership Just Walk Across the Room: Simple Steps Pointing People to Faith Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs The Power of a Whisper: Hearing God, Having the Guts to Respond

“Religion is spelled 'D-O', because it consists of the things people do try to somehow gain God's forgiveness and favor. But the problem is that you never know when you've done enough. But thankfully, Christianity is spelled differently. It's spelled 'D-O-N-E', which means that what we could never for ourselves, Christ has already done for us. To become a real Christian is to humbly receive God's gift of forgiveness and to commit to following His leadership.” 3 likes