Start by marking “The Schoolmistress and other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Schoolmistress and other Stories

The Schoolmistress and other Stories

This collection includes: THE SCHOOLMISTRESS, A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN, MISERY, CHAMPAGNE, AFTER THE THEATRE, A LADY'S STORY, IN EXILE, THE CATTLE-DEALERS, SORROW, ON OFFICIAL DUTY, THE FIRST-CLASS PASSENGER, A TRAGIC ACTOR, A TRANSGRESSION, SMALL FRY, THE REQUIEM, IN THE COACH-HOUSE, PANIC FEARS, THE BET, THE HEAD-GARDENER'S STORY, THE BEAUTIES, and THE SHOEMAKER AND THE DEVIL ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published by B&R Samizdat Express (first published December 31st 1921)

To ask other readers questions about The Schoolmistress and other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Schoolmistress and other Stories

Σς
Dec 28, 2016 Σς rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first encountered Chekhov's short stories in college, I was unimpressed. I felt like I was missing something, like "nothing happens." Then I read his plays after college and I felt these things even more so. But as I've struggled and failed to write my own short stories since then for a variety of reasons (my thick-headedness toward him being one of them) I've decided to try again to understand him as he is the undisputed master of the form, synonymous with the genre as Homer is to the ep ...more
twrctdrv
May 28, 2015 twrctdrv marked it as given-up-on  ·  review of another edition
My advice to you friends: never start a collection at volume 11, even if you like the author. There is a reason these stories were pushed to volume 11
Eirin
Aug 25, 2016 Eirin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
The start of the collection was a bit boring and slow. It was okay, but not really terribly exciting. Around the midpoint the stories started getting more interesting however, and I was enjoying my reading. I liked "In the Coach-House" and "The Head Gardener's Story". My favourite was "The Bet", about a man who as a bet agrees to be locked up in solitary confinement for fifteen years. Then came the penultimate story, and I was simply annoyed.

"The Beauties": Such an in-depth exercise in the male
Jon Mountjoy
Dec 30, 2012 Jon Mountjoy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twenty-one lovely short stories that (incidentally) paint a vivid picture of life in Russia. While I enjoyed the book and the stories, they lacked that something that would tip me over into wildly enthusiastic must-read territory.

They really are vivid - I feel I have a much better picture of, say, the Russian winter now; the coldness, the bitterness, the isolation - but also of some of the characters, like the eponymous schoolmistress.

However, I found many of the stories didn't deliver anything
Aaron
Aug 29, 2009 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had over 20 short stories. Checkov is your typical late 19th century author. His stories present a pessimistic portrayal of humanity, his characters are all self-centered and incapable of feeling any sympathy for the plights of others. The wealthy are especially selfish in his tales. The stories may have some wit or sarcasm, but I found most of them to be a little depressing.

I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy the stories. I think I did, or at least, I was amused by most of them. I thi
Marie
it is hard to describe Checkhov as drivel but these stories are memorable only in their dreariness. Dismal tales of dismal lives all similarly lacking a beginning, middle or end. They tell no moral (except maybe the last) and do not draw the reader in. Out of the book 2 were Ok "Misery" which was miserable but at least understandably so and the first class passenger which must have been there to inject a lighter note.

People keep telling me that short stories are excellent but hell i wish i could
Diana
I kept hearing good things about Chekhov's short stories, so I resolved that I would read some this year. I read three, and now I'm moving on. I blame the Russian reading group I joined my first summer in Portland. For years I'd read a big Russian novel every winter, and I liked them. Then I joined that reading group and there was a whole summer of relentless Russian literature. Now it seems like I'm done with it. Sorry, Chekhov! It's not you, it's me. Perhaps I will go to my grave without readi ...more
Ian Pindar
Unless you are being made to read Chekhov short stories as an act of revenge by a lecturer who was made to read it by their lecturer, avoid Chekhov's short stories - they are miserable, full of miserable self-centred characters that inhabit a miserable world.

Ian McEwan says you have to read the enjoyable books you love and the Masters - their are better books that show the lineage of literature than these short stories. Some Chekhov novels are obviously great. Point made!
Paul
Dec 03, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was largely unfamiliar with Chekov's work, but decided to read this on a whim, after seeing The Silence, an episode of the Twilight Zone inspired by Chekov's The Bet.

The stories within are deeply Russian, cold and even depressing. They're also quite engaging, and I often wished they went on for longer. I'd certainly recommend this as good chilly winter reading.
Richard
Aug 24, 2008 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: so-glad-i-read
Now, THIS is a translation worth its salt--Constance Garnett reveals the kind of ragingly deep simplicity that I always admired Chekhov for--I may have to track down the entirety of this Ecco Press series.
Georgina
Feb 25, 2016 Georgina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully evocative stories that take you to another world. Chekhov - what can one say? He is Chekhov. The Great.
Maria Ettlin
Interesting view into lifes of russian people from the old days.
Leah
Nov 14, 2015 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Some stories I liked and some I didn't. It was my first time going through Chekhov and I enjoyed more than I thought I would.
Kim
Aug 27, 2012 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good to very good mix of classic Russian short stories.
Karen Sweeney
I felt like something was lost in the translation or in cultural differences for many of the stories. However, some were very moving, especially the title story.
Paul Greer
Paul Greer rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2017
Alumno
Alumno rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Rosie
Rosie rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2012
Jimmie Rundberg
Jimmie Rundberg rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Mohamed
Mohamed rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
Cebelihle
Cebelihle rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
Kara
Kara rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Hudson Keen
Hudson Keen rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2015
Luna Swift
Luna Swift rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2014
Olga Wojtas
Olga Wojtas rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2014
Ghassan N.
Ghassan N. rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
Darren Ryding
Darren Ryding rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2015
Craig Meikle
Craig Meikle rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Clarke Owens
Clarke Owens rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2017
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Anthology of Japanese Literature: From the Earliest Era to the Mid-Nineteenth Century
  • The Mentor Book of Major British Poets
  • The Man of Destiny
  • Selected Poems
  • Collected Stories and Later Writings
  • The Real Story of Ah-Q and Other Tales of China: The Complete Fiction of Lu Xun
  • Hero Tales from American History
  • The Stories (So Far)
  • Tales of Troy and Greece
  • Malgudi Adventures
  • King of the Khyber Rifles
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov was born in the small seaport of Taganrog, southern Russia, the son of a grocer. Chekhov's grandfather was a serf, who had bought his own freedom and that of his three sons in 1841. He also taught himself to read and write. Yevgenia Morozova, Chekhov's mother, was the daughter of a cloth merchant.

"When I think back on my childhood," Chekhov recalled, "it all seems quite glo
More about Anton Chekhov...