The Schoolmistress and other Stories

The Schoolmistress and other Stories

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  4 reviews
This collection includes: THE SCHOOLMISTRESS, A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN, MISERY, CHAMPAGNE, AFTER THE THEATRE, A LADY'S STORY, IN EXILE, THE CATTLE-DEALERS, SORROW, ON OFFICIAL DUTY, THE FIRST-CLASS PASSENGER, A TRAGIC ACTOR, A TRANSGRESSION, SMALL FRY, THE REQUIEM, IN THE COACH-HOUSE, PANIC FEARS, THE BET, THE HEAD-GARDENER'S STORY, THE BEAUTIES, and THE SHOEMAKER AND THE DEVIL...more
Published by B&R Samizdat Express (first published December 31st 1921)

To ask other readers questions about The Schoolmistress and other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Schoolmistress and other Stories

Jon Mountjoy
Twenty-one lovely short stories that (incidentally) paint a vivid picture of life in Russia. While I enjoyed the book and the stories, they lacked that something that would tip me over into wildly enthusiastic must-read territory.

They really are vivid - I feel I have a much better picture of, say, the Russian winter now; the coldness, the bitterness, the isolation - but also of some of the characters, like the eponymous schoolmistress.

However, I found many of the stories didn't deliver anything...more
Paul
I was largely unfamiliar with Chekov's work, but decided to read this on a whim, after seeing The Silence, an episode of the Twilight Zone inspired by Chekov's The Bet.

The stories within are deeply Russian, cold and even depressing. They're also quite engaging, and I often wished they went on for longer. I'd certainly recommend this as good chilly winter reading.
Richard
Now, THIS is a translation worth its salt--Constance Garnett reveals the kind of ragingly deep simplicity that I always admired Chekhov for--I may have to track down the entirety of this Ecco Press series.
Kim
A good to very good mix of classic Russian short stories.
Pei-Hsin
Pei-Hsin marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Nicole Tzortzinis
Nicole Tzortzinis marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Erin Malone
Erin Malone marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Charlotte E
Charlotte E marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Thomas Adams
Thomas Adams marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Vince Mulhollon
Vince Mulhollon marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Scott Squires
Scott Squires marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
David  Sam
David Sam marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
D.T. Griffith
D.T. Griffith marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Charles Harris
Charles Harris marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Randall West
Randall West marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Megan
Megan is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2014
Frank
Frank added it
Aug 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov (Russian: Антон Павлович Чехов) was born in the small seaport of Taganrog, southern Russia, the son of a grocer. Chekhov's grandfather was a serf, who had bought his own freedom and that of his three sons in 1841. He also taught himself to read and write. Yevgenia Morozova, Chekhov's mother, was the daughter of a cloth merchant.

"When I think back on my childhood," Chekhov r...more
More about Anton Chekhov...
Selected Stories The Cherry Orchard The Seagull The Complete Short Novels Uncle Vanya