Start by marking “Die letzte Wahrheit : Thriller” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Die letzte Wahrheit : ...

Kevin Wignall

Die letzte Wahrheit : Thriller

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Who is Conrad Hirst? Knowing the answer could get you killed. Not knowing could get him killed.

Conrad Hirst is a hired killer working for a German crime boss. Disturbed by the death of his girlfriend ten years earlier and still bearing the scars of post-traumatic stress after serving as a mercenary, he's valued precisely because of how broken he is, by how coldly he kil

Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Die letzte Wahrheit , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die letzte Wahrheit

Maddy
RATING: 4.25

How does a hit man give up his career and go on to live the life of a normal man? That's the dilemma that faces Conrad Hirst, who is burned out and only too aware of how barren he has become emotionally. He's only 32 years old, but his most recent hit shatters him and destroys his willingness to continue his nihilistic life. He arrives at a simple answer—he must kill the only four people who know his identity. After that, he should be able to put away his assassination tools and sett
Joleen
I loved it! There were very few things about this book that were predictable. I thought I had it all figured out then there was the epilogue, which immediately makes sense of the entire book! Great read! I loved all the twists and turns particularly the last one!
Paul Pessolano
This is a very unusual book. It could easily be defined as a spy thriller, but it is so much more. If you are looking for something that might be totally different from anything you have read before, this book is looking right at you.

Conrad Hirst finds himself fighting as a mercenary in Yugoslavia. He falls in love with a young girl, but loses her in a bombing. He is so distressed that he becomes immune to his past life and really doesn't care for his future. He is introduced to, what he believe
ri
Ein Auftragskiller will aussteigen, doch so einfach geht das in dem Gewerbe nicht. Vor allem, wenn man nicht nur für den gearbeitet hat, der einen beauftragt hat, und man gar nicht weiß, für wen man wirklich gearbeitet hat. So ergeht es Conrad Hirst. Seine seit zehn Jahren aufgebaute eiskalte und berechnende Identität bricht in sich zusammen wie ein Kartenhaus, so dass er selbst gar nicht weiß, was er glauben soll und nicht. Ein Katz-und-Maus-Spiel beginnt.

Kevin Wignall ist ein intelligenter und
Armin Hennig
Absolut hirnloses und spannungsfreies Gemetzel, das in den Keller der Ein-Stern-Zone gehört.

Dabei ist die Grundidee gar nicht mal so schlecht: Auftragskiller meint seine Laufbahn mit vier strategischen Morden beenden zu können. Tatsächlich setzt Conrad Hirst mit seinem ersten Mord eine fatale Kettenreaktion in Gang, denn die Nummer zwei auf seiner Liste ist nicht identisch mit der Person, der er zu Beginn seiner Killerlaufbahn vorgestellt wurde.
Und da er eigentlich nichts als Totschießen kann,
Pygmy
Less an action thriller and more of a character study of a hitman who wants to leave the business, which is a great idea. But the execution leaves something a little lacking. Granted, the hitman admits several times that he's a total n00b in terms of pumping people for info and sneaking around; he's only good at killing people. But I find it terribly difficult to believe that the CIA will let a rogue agent go so easily after he's gone and killed several CIA agents, even if it was because of a la ...more
Christina
Jan 28, 2009 Christina marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
I originally picked up Who Is Conrad Hirst? for my younger brother after my mom asked me find him something to read at the library, but he read the back and handed it right back to me. The cover looked interesting enough, so I threw it onto my bookstack.

Who Is Conrad Hirst? is a character study of an assassin trying to quit the business, except this assassin works for the CIA. The writing is very tight and there are very little mistakes, but just I wasn’t engaged in the story at all. And as the
Jordan McPeek
An odd genre book - which genre it belongs to is arguable: spy or crime? Odd isn't bad. It makes for an unpredictable read that keeps the pages turning. A hitman who wants to leave the business is a familiar storyline. What sets him apart is his motivation for getting into and out of the business. It's not money or blackmail or training or loyalty; it's a psychological crisis. An interesting character study thrown in with enough plot, action, and twists to call it a thriller. An enjoyable unusua ...more
Jessica
Picked this one up off a favorable review in my favorite bastion of Britishness, The Economist, and I think it earns the praise. Most hitman books are breakneck thrillers, so the more meditative pacing in this one is refreshing. Also worth noting is the clever way Wignall plays on the "man without a past" stereotype that permeates the genre by taking Conrad's story in unexpected directions. Not a long one, so worth a shot even if you don't normally go for this sort of thing.
Caleb
In the good but not great category. It's a thriller that is very fast- 230 pages which I read in less than four hours. It does a lot in this span, but I just didn't love the main character enough (some of the killings were unconscionable and I don't think the protagonist got off too lightly on them). That said, it was a great airplane/beach read and the two twists at the end certainly caught me by surprise.
Colin
This is the first spy or crime (not really sure what designation it fall under) novel so I wasn't sure what to expect or even whether I would like it.
The writing is godd but not amazing. The story is, for me, memorable in that it broke away from the expected and the character was very well developed. Instead of a fun but mindless book I got a fun and interesting mystery and character portait.
Sam
This book is a standard book about a drop out assassin, until the last chapter.
That last chapter changes the book, forever really. So read the book through once, then realize you'll have to read it through again. I read it through twice in the same day, cause i was a little shocked by what I had read at the end.
Good book, but needs some different pieces working forward into the story.
Kevin
Wignall continues his hit man theme and again manages to pull it off with tight writing, an interesting lead character, and an undercurrent of difficult moral questions.

In the process of describing how a person might fall into the position of killing for a living Wignall mediates on the nature of identity, fate, and violence.
Shawn
you will be thrilled, frightened, scared, angered, relieved, and finally completely and totally gut-wrenchingly heart broken. even if you see the end coming you're hoping it won't and when it does...bamf. sucker-punch.

a great book.
Lucien
Great book. Lots of plot twists that I never saw coming.
Marissa
In my opinion the best of Wignall's novels.
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Bigboss Chiheb
Bigboss Chiheb marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Adele
Adele added it
Aug 29, 2014
Rafa-el Lopez
Rafa-el Lopez marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Dhwani
Dhwani added it
Jun 12, 2014
Zare
Zare marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Sonja Ingram
Sonja Ingram marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Army Child till age nine.

Settled back in a small town in the west of England.

Lancaster University - degree in Politics &
International Relations.

Writer.

Also writes as K.J. Wignall

Email: kevin@kevinwignall.com
More about Kevin Wignall...
People Die For the Dogs Among The Dead Blood : book one of the Mercian trilogy The Letter Promised