Start by marking “The Rooster and the Fox” as Want to Read:
The Rooster and the Fox

The Rooster and the Fox

Chantlcleer the rooster had a dream about a terrible beast. "Ears and nose and teeth...all sharply pointed!" And then, early one morning, something foxy creeps into the cabbage patch, and waits... This time around, Helen Ward has chosen an ancient tale--one featured in Chaucer's The Nun's Priest's Tale--but is most likely of 12th century French origin. The illustrations fe ...more
Hardcover
Published January 16th 2003 by Millbrook Press

To ask other readers questions about The Rooster and the Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rooster and the Fox

KarenMLISt
Very nice, kid-friendly version of Chaucer's original fable from his Canterbury Tales, Chanticleer and the Fox. Illustrations are large, colorful and full of action.
Sara Stalder
Jan 23, 2012 Sara Stalder rated it really liked it
At first, I wasn't sure about this book. Some of the language confused me a little bit. But I was soon on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen to the poor rooster. The pictures are very realistic looking, and the pages were so eye cathching. My little niece doesn't read much yet, but this was the only book she wanted me to read to her. She was so entranced by the pictures. On some of the pages, the writing was not just written left to right, it swirled accross the page. I also ...more
Candace
Jan 25, 2012 Candace rated it liked it
Shelves: rdg
The story started off slow, I wasn't sure where it was going to go. But I enjoyed the story line and the moral at the end of the story. The moral being that you should not show off just because your're the best at something, not everyone wants to see you show off. But it also shows that you're true friends will be there for you know matter what. The illustrations were very detialed and helped paint a better story of what the words were saying. I thought it was cool how on some of the pages the t ...more
Logan
Another gorgeously illustrated and humorous retelling of a fable by Helen Ward. I checked out everything I could by her from the library after reading "Unwittingg Wisdom." To my dismay, many of her books are illustrated by other (and in my opinion, lesser) illustrators. I was happy to find this one though, which has the same stunningly detailed pictures, full of movement and wit. Logan is loving fables and folk tales right now and we got a several laughs from this one.
Brittany Baker
Jan 30, 2012 Brittany Baker rated it liked it
I think this book was very cute with a good simple story that would be fun to read aloud to a class. The moral at the end about being aware of false flattery from others is a strong and good one to remember, not just for kids, but for adults as well. I also like the dialogue between all of the animals throughout the story. Overall, I think this was just a fairly simple, yet very cute little story.
Carole
Sep 06, 2016 Carole rated it it was amazing
Chanticleer the rooster has a very high opinion of himself, so high that he allows a fox to outsmart him and carry him away. But Chanticleer has time to come up with a plan to outsmart the fox and saves his own life.
Beverly
Sep 12, 2014 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks, dogs
Gorgeous illustrations; fascinating facts in appendix after story, including rare breed identifications.
Shala Howell
Sep 17, 2007 Shala Howell rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
gorgeous illustrations
Ericca Colby
Ericca Colby rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Lilly
Lilly added it
Jun 22, 2016
B. Morya
B. Morya rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Kiran Venkani
Kiran Venkani is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2016
Jill
Jill added it
Jan 25, 2016
Linda Stuckey
Linda Stuckey rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Patti
Patti rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Emily Hudak
Emily Hudak rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Mrs. Falcone
Mrs. Falcone rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2015
Aiyah
Aiyah marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Trish
Trish added it
Jul 23, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Michael Fitzgerald
Michael Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Tanley Mcmullan
Tanley Mcmullan rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Edelind
Edelind rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Laura Gyorfi
Laura Gyorfi marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Erin Farquhar
Erin Farquhar rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2014
E
E added it
Jul 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Helen Ward won the first Walker Prize for Children’s Illustration and twice won the British National Art Library Award. She has also been short-listed for the 2003 Kate Greenaway Medal. She lives in Gloucestershire, England.
More about Helen Ward...