Start by marking “Laura's Victory: End of the Second World War” as Want to Read:
Laura's Victory: End of the Second World War

Laura's Victory: End of the Second World War (Sisters in Time #24)

Time Period: July 1944 - Thanksgiving 1945 As the Second World War grinds on, eleven-year-old Laura Edwards hopes and prays for an American victory. Inside her, though, another battle is raging: Originally suspicious and resentful of a Japanese-American classmate, Laura begins to admire the girl's quiet strength in the face of persecution. When Laura learns that the girl's ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about Laura's Victory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Laura's Victory

Sarah Crawford
Jan 24, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
Laura is 10 and part of a rather large family. Her father works at Boeing, and her mother seems to run a hotel. Anyhow, one of her brothers becomes seriously ill and is taken to the hospital. He has come down with polio.

It's 1944 in the novel, or early 1945. They are in Seattle, and there had been a Japanese American family living there, but they were shipped off to an internment camp.

Has a friend named Yvonne who hates the Japanese; her brother died at Pearl Harbor.

Eddie, the one with polio, c
Natalie
Aug 31, 2010 Natalie rated it it was amazing
This book was really good. I mostly picked it up cause I love the WWII era. And it's about a young girl, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. Laura became a strong girl in this book as she has to take on more responsibility when her brother becomes ill. Laura is also faced with having a Japenese friend and finding out more about her heritage also. It was very interesting to read as I learned more about WWII.

I recommend this book to any preteen girl who loves reading. Adults would enjoy reading it also
Rachel
Dec 06, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I appreciated this author's treatment of what I consider to be a silent part of America's history. The attitudes of these Pacific coast families toward those of Japanese descent is challenging for the black and white thinking Laura. Her method of helping her friends to see the truth was genius, and the resolution was very satisfying. This is a great read for middle-school girls.
Hannah
Previewed this for my little sister. It had some good history, and a few worthy mentions of God, but I didn't agree with its representation of some political things--including FDR's presidency.
Alsie
Sep 23, 2011 Alsie rated it really liked it
I spotted this series in our School Library and since I am quite interested in WW2 i picked this one.
It was quite interesting, a little boring at the end. (but still kinda exciting.)
Cassondra
Dec 02, 2013 Cassondra rated it really liked it
This series takes girls on an adventure of a lifetime as they learn about historical events and how it affected the lives of the girls, who lived through it. Great read for girls.
Miriam
Miriam rated it liked it
May 10, 2011
Captain Awesome
Captain Awesome rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Faith Potts
Faith Potts rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Angela Beeson
Angela Beeson rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2011
Panda Incognito
Panda Incognito rated it liked it
May 29, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Rachel Heffelfinger
Rachel Heffelfinger rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Anastasia
Anastasia rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Polina
Polina rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2012
Kiley
Kiley rated it it was ok
Dec 04, 2015
Tess O
Tess O rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Eldon
Eldon rated it liked it
May 08, 2012
Marissa
Marissa rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2008
Shantelle
Shantelle rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Amanda
Mar 23, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Good portrayal of the conflicting messages about Americans with foreign backgrounds during WWII.
Benay Daniel
Benay Daniel rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2012
Glenn
Glenn rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2013
Emma Northington
Emma Northington rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2015
Lily
Lily rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2012
Lydia Anne
Lydia Anne rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Sarah Bartsch
Sarah Bartsch rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Aɳɳα
Aɳɳα rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2012
Alexis Schubert
Alexis Schubert rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2015
Veda Boyd Jones enjoys the challenge of writing for diverse readers. She is the author of forty-two books: five children's historical novels, twenty-one children's biographies, three children's nonfiction books, three picture books, nine romance novels, and a coloring book. Other published works include over 400 articles and stories in children's and adult magazines (Cricket, Highlights, Humpty ...more
More about Veda Boyd Jones...

Sisters in Time (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Sarah's New World: The Mayflower Adventure