Start by marking “Sources of Strength: Meditations on Scripture for a Living Faith” as Want to Read:
Sources of Strength: Meditations on Scripture for a Living Faith

Sources of Strength: Meditations on Scripture for a Living Faith

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  15 reviews
For Jimmy Carter, Holy Scripture has been a constant companion, a source of inspiration and strength in both good times and bad. A lifetime of devoted Bible reading has taught him that the truths of Scripture have the power to enrich and transform our daily lives in unexpected ways. Sources of Strength is his invitation to share in the spiritual bounty of Scripture and the ...more
Published October 19th 1999 by WaterBrook Press (first published December 12th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Sources of Strength, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sources of Strength

Ally
I could not disagree with former President Carter's politics more, but thoroughly enjoyed & cherish this book. Beautifully written by a man that truly has a heart for God. An excellent read for anyone in need of God's comfort & grace.
Brad
Jimmy Carter uses this book to help relate scripture to everyday life, and how he and his wife have related scripture to events that have happened in their lives. Depicts the true compassion of a humble man.
Carolyn
Jimmy Carter has such a Love for God and that love shines in every page of this book!
Helene
This is a book of Carter's Sunday School lessons. Although this could be boring, it's not. He has taught for decades, even thru his military years and his depth of wisdom is evident. I'll go back and read this over and over. His section on God's Healing is especially sweet. Even though he has had a very successful life and career, he has evidently gone to the Lord thru all his trials. Enjoy!
Michael
This is the most boring book I have ever read. I made it through about 50 pages and kept falling asleep (of course, I was reading it before I went to bed each night). Perhaps there is someone out there who finds Jimmy Carter's ruminations on the Bible interesting. I am not he. Yet another reason to dislike Jimmy Carter, as if I needed more. Bad president, bad writer. Go back to growing peanuts, you Baptist hillbilly.
Stacey D.
Several scriptures, as chosen and interpreted by our former president, a man under-appreciated in his devotion to humanity. As a non-Christian, the book was both inspiring and educational. The best part was that I got to meet Mr. Carter several years ago when he autographed my book.
Michael
This book is full of simple, basic meditations on the Bible by our former President. He has a gentle reading voice, and you can't go wrong by going back to the basics and applying these lessons to your life.

Kirk Bower
I gave this book to my father (my hero/great guy) for Christmas. Alittle over two year later I was reading it after his funeral, which may have given me a bias view - but great book! (thanks dad)
Leslie
Not up to a review just now, but I did scribble a few comments as I read. A lovely book.
Veronica
The book is very interesting to read & very informative. I enjoyed reading it.
rosesamongthorns
May 02, 2012 rosesamongthorns marked it as to-read
So far its giving me the strength I needed to endure this hell of a week.
Rachel
I think he's a good man, but he would make a very boring Sunday school teacher.
Kathaileen
Short essays from his Sunday School teachings. Very good.
Ann
Like Sunday school classes, very inspirations.
Lisa
Jimmy Carter. What's not to love? :D
Danielle
Danielle is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2015
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Susan
Susan is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2015
James W. Noble
James W. Noble is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2015
Cindy Kendrick
Cindy Kendrick is currently reading it
Sheldon Korn
Sheldon Korn is currently reading it
Juliann M Zimmer
Juliann M Zimmer is currently reading it
Margaret Brim
Margaret Brim is currently reading it
D Sullivan
D Sullivan marked it as to-read
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Leesa O
Leesa O marked it as to-read
Jim
Jim is currently reading it
Bernice Thompson
Bernice Thompson is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2015
Stacey Smith
Stacey Smith is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2015
  • Fall to Grace: A Revolution of God, Self & Society
  • Practicing Our Faith: A Way of Life for a Searching People
  • Bread for the Journey: A Daybook of Wisdom and Faith
  • The Women's Bible Commentary with Apocrypha (Expanded Edition)
  • Unbinding the Gospel: Real Life Evangelism
  • From Jesus to Christ: The Origins of the New Testament Images of Christ
  • Lutheranism 101
  • The Geometry of Love: Space, Time, Mystery, and Meaning in an Ordinary Church
  • Adventures in Prayer
  • Early Christian Fathers (Library of Christian Classics)
  • Speaking of Faith
  • Autobiography of Madame Guyon
  • Reading the Old Testament: An Introduction
  • Bright Evening Star: Mystery of the Incarnation
  • A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus. Volume One, The Roots of the Problem and the Person (The Anchor Bible Reference Library)
  • A History of Islamic Societies
  • Generation to Generation: Family Process in Church and Synagogue
  • Following Jesus Without Embarrassing God
James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. was the thirty-ninth President of the United States, serving from 1977 to 1981, and the recipient of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize. Prior to becoming president, Carter served two terms in the Georgia Senate and as the 76th Governor of Georgia, from 1971 to 1975.

As president, Carter created two new cabinet-level departments: the Department of Energy and the Department of
More about Jimmy Carter...
Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid An Hour Before Daylight: Memoirs of a Rural Boyhood A Call to Action: Women, Religion, Violence, and Power The Hornet's Nest

“Failure is a reality; we all fail at times, and it's painful when we do. But it's better to fail while striving for something wonderful, challenging, adventurous, and uncertain than to say, " I don't want to try because I may not succeed completely.” 11 likes