Sources of Strength: Meditations on Scripture for a Living Faith

Sources of Strength: Meditations on Scripture for a Living Faith

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  13 reviews
For Jimmy Carter, Holy Scripture has been a constant companion, a source of inspiration and strength in both good times and bad. A lifetime of devoted Bible reading has taught him that the truths of Scripture have the power to enrich and transform our daily lives in unexpected ways. Sources of Strength is his invitation to share in the spiritual bounty of Scripture and the...more
Published October 19th 1999 by WaterBrook Press (first published December 12th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Sources of Strength, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sources of Strength

Ally
I could not disagree with former President Carter's politics more, but thoroughly enjoyed & cherish this book. Beautifully written by a man that truly has a heart for God. An excellent read for anyone in need of God's comfort & grace.
Michael
This is the most boring book I have ever read. I made it through about 50 pages and kept falling asleep (of course, I was reading it before I went to bed each night). Perhaps there is someone out there who finds Jimmy Carter's ruminations on the Bible interesting. I am not he. Yet another reason to dislike Jimmy Carter, as if I needed more. Bad president, bad writer. Go back to growing peanuts, you Baptist hillbilly.
Stacey D.
Several scriptures, as chosen and interpreted by our former president, a man under-appreciated in his devotion to humanity. As a non-Christian, the book was both inspiring and educational. The best part was that I got to meet Mr. Carter several years ago when he autographed my book.
Michael
This book is full of simple, basic meditations on the Bible by our former President. He has a gentle reading voice, and you can't go wrong by going back to the basics and applying these lessons to your life.

Brad
Jimmy Carter uses this book to help relate scripture to everyday life, and how he and his wife have related scripture to events that have happened in their lives. Depicts the true compassion of a humble man.
Kirk Bower
I gave this book to my father (my hero/great guy) for Christmas. Alittle over two year later I was reading it after his funeral, which may have given me a bias view - but great book! (thanks dad)
Leslie
Not up to a review just now, but I did scribble a few comments as I read. A lovely book.
Veronica
The book is very interesting to read & very informative. I enjoyed reading it.
rosesamongthorns
May 02, 2012 rosesamongthorns marked it as to-read
So far its giving me the strength I needed to endure this hell of a week.
Rachel
I think he's a good man, but he would make a very boring Sunday school teacher.
Kathaileen
Short essays from his Sunday School teachings. Very good.
Ann
Like Sunday school classes, very inspirations.
Lisa
Jimmy Carter. What's not to love? :D
Prem
Prem added it
Aug 17, 2014
Kevin
Kevin is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2014
Wade
Wade marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Vickie
Vickie added it
Jul 06, 2014
Peggy Sisson
Peggy Sisson marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Mary
Mary added it
May 10, 2014
Becky Brillon
Becky Brillon marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Anna Dunn
Anna Dunn marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. was the thirty-ninth President of the United States, serving from 1977 to 1981, and the recipient of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize. Prior to becoming president, Carter served two terms in the Georgia Senate and as the 76th Governor of Georgia, from 1971 to 1975.

As president, Carter created two new cabinet-level departments: the Department of Energy and the Department of...more
More about Jimmy Carter...
Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid An Hour Before Daylight: Memoirs of a Rural Boyhood A Call to Action: Women, Religion, Violence, and Power The Hornet's Nest

“Failure is a reality; we all fail at times, and it's painful when we do. But it's better to fail while striving for something wonderful, challenging, adventurous, and uncertain than to say, " I don't want to try because I may not succeed completely.” 9 likes