Start by marking “Sources of Strength: Meditations on Scripture for a Living Faith” as Want to Read:
Sources of Strength: Meditations on Scripture for a Living Faith

Sources of Strength: Meditations on Scripture for a Living Faith

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  197 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
For Jimmy Carter, Holy Scripture has been a constant companion, a source of inspiration and strength in both good times and bad. A lifetime of devoted Bible reading has taught him that the truths of Scripture have the power to enrich and transform our daily lives in unexpected ways. Sources of Strength is his invitation to share in the spiritual bounty of Scripture and the ...more
Published October 19th 1999 by WaterBrook Press (first published December 12th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Sources of Strength, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sources of Strength

Brad
Jun 07, 2007 Brad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Jimmy Carter uses this book to help relate scripture to everyday life, and how he and his wife have related scripture to events that have happened in their lives. Depicts the true compassion of a humble man.
Ally
Feb 28, 2011 Ally rated it really liked it
I could not disagree with former President Carter's politics more, but thoroughly enjoyed & cherish this book. Beautifully written by a man that truly has a heart for God. An excellent read for anyone in need of God's comfort & grace.
Lynn Blosch
Sep 07, 2015 Lynn Blosch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bible based and inspiring

This book will be read and re read again and again. Lessons to absorb and help us grow to faith. Thank You Mr. President. . . You are so real. . .
Tammy Guthrie
Good book. Laid out like devotionals...isn't really meant to read through like a book.
Nora
Sep 27, 2015 Nora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so impressed with this. So positive and uplifting... not to mention illuminating.
Carolyn
May 13, 2015 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jimmy Carter has such a Love for God and that love shines in every page of this book!
Kris Patrick
I'm powerless against books on sale for 0.99 in the kindle store.
Can't rate. That would be weird.
Helene
Mar 09, 2015 Helene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book of Carter's Sunday School lessons. Although this could be boring, it's not. He has taught for decades, even thru his military years and his depth of wisdom is evident. I'll go back and read this over and over. His section on God's Healing is especially sweet. Even though he has had a very successful life and career, he has evidently gone to the Lord thru all his trials. Enjoy!
Michael
Nov 21, 2010 Michael rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
This is the most boring book I have ever read. I made it through about 50 pages and kept falling asleep (of course, I was reading it before I went to bed each night). Perhaps there is someone out there who finds Jimmy Carter's ruminations on the Bible interesting. I am not he. Yet another reason to dislike Jimmy Carter, as if I needed more. Bad president, bad writer. Go back to growing peanuts, you Baptist hillbilly.
Stacey D.
Apr 01, 2013 Stacey D. rated it it was ok
Several scriptures, as chosen and interpreted by our former president, a man under-appreciated in his devotion to humanity. As a non-Christian, the book was both inspiring and educational. The best part was that I got to meet Mr. Carter several years ago when he autographed my book.
Michael
Sep 25, 2009 Michael rated it liked it
This book is full of simple, basic meditations on the Bible by our former President. He has a gentle reading voice, and you can't go wrong by going back to the basics and applying these lessons to your life.

Anne Lawrence
Nov 20, 2015 Anne Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Especially enjoyed insights from Carter Sr. Also enjoyed learning more about the Bible through is eyes and lessons learned on the farm and in his years since the White House.
Kirk Bower
Jul 29, 2011 Kirk Bower rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book to my father (my hero/great guy) for Christmas. Alittle over two year later I was reading it after his funeral, which may have given me a bias view - but great book! (thanks dad)
Leslie
Oct 15, 2011 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
Not up to a review just now, but I did scribble a few comments as I read. A lovely book.
Veronica
Nov 27, 2009 Veronica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is very interesting to read & very informative. I enjoyed reading it.
rosesamongthorns
May 02, 2012 rosesamongthorns marked it as to-read
So far its giving me the strength I needed to endure this hell of a week.
Rachel
Nov 13, 2007 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think he's a good man, but he would make a very boring Sunday school teacher.
Kathy
Nov 03, 2007 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: presidents
Short essays from his Sunday School teachings. Very good.
Ann
Mar 03, 2012 Ann rated it liked it
Like Sunday school classes, very inspirations.
Lisa
Jun 25, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it
Jimmy Carter. What's not to love? :D
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Norma Shoemaker
Norma Shoemaker rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Dina
Dina rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Janet Smith
Janet Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Keli
Keli marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Anne Coulter
Anne Coulter rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Jun 18, 2016
  • Fall to Grace: A Revolution of God, Self & Society
  • Practicing Our Faith: A Way of Life for a Searching People
  • Bread for the Journey: A Daybook of Wisdom and Faith
  • The HarperCollins Study Bible: Fully Revised & Updated
  • The Women's Bible Commentary with Apocrypha (Expanded Edition)
  • Unbinding the Gospel: Real Life Evangelism
  • Revelation and the End of All Things
  • Lutheranism 101
  • From Jesus to Christ: The Origins of the New Testament Images of Christ
  • Adventures in Prayer
  • The Geometry of Love: Space, Time, Mystery, and Meaning in an Ordinary Church
  • A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus, Volume I - The Roots of the Problem and the Person
  • Early Christian Fathers (Library of Christian Classics)
  • A Stone for a Pillow (Genesis, #2)
  • Reading the Old Testament: An Introduction
  • Autobiography of Madame Guyon
  • The Rapture Exposed: The Message of Hope in the Book of Revelation
  • Generation to Generation: Family Process in Church and Synagogue

James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. was the thirty-ninth President of the United States, serving from 1977 to 1981, and the recipient of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize. Prior to becoming president, Carter served two terms in the Georgia Senate and as the 76th Governor of Georgia, from 1971 to 1975.

As president, Carter
More about Jimmy Carter...

“Failure is a reality; we all fail at times, and it's painful when we do. But it's better to fail while striving for something wonderful, challenging, adventurous, and uncertain than to say, " I don't want to try because I may not succeed completely.” 11 likes
“Every day in the United States, seventeen children are killed by gunfire. That’s about 6,000 children each year who are killed by guns, as compared, for example, with about 3,000 a year who died at the height of the polio epidemic of the 1950s. We rose up as a society to fight against polio. Why do we not act more forcefully to halt today’s even greater scourge?” 2 likes