Start by marking “Black Ship (Daisy Dalrymple, #17)” as Want to Read:
Black Ship (Daisy Dalrymple, #17)

Black Ship (Daisy Dalrymple #17)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  599 ratings  ·  58 reviews
In 1925, the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher, her husband, Alec Fletcher (a Scotland Yard Detective) and their new twin infant children inherit and move to a new, larger house on the outskirts of London proper, in a stage of slight disrepair (thanks to an aged, now deceased, uncle). Set in a small circle of houses and a communal garden, it seems a near idyllic setting. ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Minotaur Books (first published September 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Black Ship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Ship

Maureen
I always enjoy a Daisy Dalrymple mystery. The writing style and characters are charming. These books really fit the bill when I want a light, stress-free, but well-crafted read. I would say that Black Ship is true to form in all but one respect--the end felt rather weak to me.
Anwen
Though not my favourite book in the Daisy Dalrymple series, it was still very readable and helped develop the characters further by creating a defunct relative who wills Alec a large house - just when wanted. For once, Daisy does not find the body, but inevitably sets about meddling in her own inimitable way whilst simultaneously throwing a protective wing over several of the suspects. Disbelief does need to be suspended when reading these (Daisy is fast becoming the Typhoid Mary of her set), ho ...more
Aoife
This wasn't so much a bad book as one with a topic that didn't interest me that much. I just never cared very much about prohibition-era-themed stories and Black Ship (even though it's set in England) deals with the prohibition so I was just sitting there going 'meh'. The case itself was also quite easy to see through. However the characters were lovely as always and I hope we'll see more of the Jessups in the following books.
I could have done without the random and very forced bringing up of t
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: #17 Daisy Dalrymple/Alec Fletcher, September 1925, London; amateur sleuth/cosy police procedural, historical. Having inherited a rather nice suburban house with garden square (but it’s round...) - albeit in somewhat peculiar circumstances - Alec and Daisy finally get enough room to spread out their growing family. Some of the neighbors are downright disagreeable, and several appear to be hiding lots of secrets, catnip to the curious Daisy, and when a body appears on the Green in fro ...more
Janet McCord
I always enjoy spending time with Daisy Dalrymple and her family and this one was an especially fun and enjoyable one. Daisy has the responsibility of moving the family into a new home her husband has inherited from a wealthy great-uncle outside of London. What seems to be a favorable event in the family's life turns out to be something else as, in the process of getting to know her new neighbors, a dead body appears in the communal gardens and one of the neighbors' families is implicated. As Da ...more
Nancy Wilson
Reading this immediately following the much more serious Jacqueline Winspear is a bit like a breath of fresh air--and that is not to take anything away from either authors or heroines. Daisy is a delight. No one is ever killed who isn't a bad guy, and the good guys who occasionally turn out to be murderers quite often find themselves getting away with it in some twist of fate. Just plain complicated fun.
Karen
I like this series for the charm and setting more than the deep mysteries or intrigue. I wish she would have given her main detective (Daisy's husband) more to do in this book, but there will always be another in the series, and therefore another chance.
Karen
I really enjoyed most of this book. All except for the last few pages when the author realized she needed a murderer to go with the murder. There is misdirection, and then there is this ending.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars, but I round up.
Amy
I liked some of the characters enough to try another in this series, in case this installment was a fluke. The police procedural sections really dragged and the ending was entirely disappointing.
Alan Leach

Carola Dunn,s Daisy Dalrymple Series of crime books based in the 1920's make for a nice relaxing read you could let your Granny read
Toast
This is more like it. CD is back on form with this - everything is sitting pretty as I learn more as I read more. Back on course.
Toast
Jennifer Sheffield
Enjoyable read - period detail was great as always and I liked how initially there were two stories intersecting. The identity of the murderer was fairly obvious because of this, however. The later books in the series don't quite match up to the interest of the earlier ones, but I think this is largely due to the characters themselves settling down into a domestic lifestyle.
Arlene
It is 1925 and Daisy's husband inherits a house from his great uncle. They discover that their new neighbors are wine merchants. One rainy morning the maid finds a body hidden in the bushes. Who is the stranger? How are the neighbors involved? Why did the son take the train to the north? How are they involved with the illegal exportation of wine to America when prohibition is in effect? I love this period piece. It is interesting to see how the "upper crust" lived back in.
Kirstin
I picked this book up on a whim--because the cover is cute--and because I wanted to expand my knowlege of detective fiction, and was pleased with what I read. The characters are likable and believable; the setting is interesting and British (for the Anglophile in me); the plot is historically accurate (as far as I am aware) and had enough twists and turns to keep me interested. This is my first Daisy Dalrymple mystery and I think I will likely read more.
Cindy
On rereading, I found the mystery in this one really, really slight. The Fletchers are moving into a new house, an American acquaintance comes to stay, and Daisy finds another body. Actually, the dog finds the body this time. Right in their new neighborhood. And the next door neighbors are the prime suspects.

The solution is painfully obvious, but the American is not quite such a cliche this time around. Still, not really worth the reread.
Susan
Charming Daisy Fletcher and her police inspector husband move into a house he's inherited near Hampstead Heath. Daisy is especially taken with her new neighbors, but senses that they have a problem with a mysterious, rude American who keeps calling on them. Meanwhile, the reader follows the adventures of the youngest son of their family, who's helping smuggling liquor into Prohibition-era America.
This is the first in the series that I actually read on paper - the rest were audiobooks. Carola Dunn is a clever writer, and I found this story adventuresome and fun, but it's still total historical chick lit! I wouldn't recommend actually paying for any of these books, but if your library has them, they're definitely worth checking out for an easy and fun woman's detective story.
Judy
Who knew that this book was the 17th in a series. It's the first of the series that I've read and I'm not sure that I'm going to check out any of the others. The book takes place in 1925 in London and provides some interesting insight into the changing social mores of post World War I England. The plot was thin, but on the plus side, it only took 2 hours to read.
Diane Heath
This installment of the Daisy Dalrymple mysteries takes place after Daisy has twins. Alec has inherited a home from a great-uncle and the Fletchers get to move to a much needed larger home. The dog finds a body in the garden and the new neighbors have to be investigated. It all ties in with the prohibition in America (this particular book taking place in 1925)
Karen Cox
The least interesting book in the series. The best parts of the plot describe Daisy's reaction to the new neighborhood. The mystery itself, however, is an afterthought. The main characters are still amusing, even if Daisy's attitudes are more early-21st- century than mid20th. The series is engaging, however, and still worth following.
Maria
I enjoyed this book. Daisy Dalrymple, actually Daisy Fletcher, strikes again. She is very observant and intuitive. This leads her to helping the police, whether they want help or not. I like her because she isn't obnoxious or pushy but is just willing to listen when people talk to her. It's a fun quick read that is perfect for an escape.
Grace
I've read all of the Daisy Dalrymple books. Carola Dunn is an interesting author. Apparently, she has written a ton of regency romances, which I used to read. But I don't think I read any of her's. I stopped reading regencys because they started having more and more sex in them. Makes me grumpy. Anyway, this series is pretty good.
Lexi
The only thing better than discovering a great new author is discovering she's already written fifty books. I look forward to reading them all.
Rachel
This is a wonderful installment of the Daisy Dalyrimple mysteries. Set during prohibition, Daisy and her husband move into a house left to them by her husbands uncle. When a man is murdered in their garden Daisy and Alec must work quickly to find the murderer without alienating the neighbors.
Kathy Moberg
Really enjoyed this Daisy mystery. The ending was excellent. I did not figure it out and was seriously wondering how things could turn out in a satisfactory way. Great fun! I love the chance to peek into this particular British, post WWI lifestyle, too. I'm on to the next installment now!
Ed
No. 17 in the Daisy Dalrymple series, but the first that I've read. I thought it would be a fun, light mystery with period detail (it is set in 1925), but I was disappointed. I found it tedious, flat, and lacking in period atmosphere. The characters were caricatures.
Boring.
Sophie
I quite liked the mood of the book but it wasn't actually all that brilliant. Quite slow, not a very interesting mystery, and relying on one liking the characters and, well, there's nothing to dislike but it's just not worth spending the time reading.
Michelle
Meant to read as a cozy mystery, Black Ship felt like it was trying too hard. Admittedly, I have not read the others in the series, but I just found myself not caring about the story. It turned into a drag to read and a pretty bad eye-roller.
Linda
Pleasant enough read, though the relationship between Daisy and her detective husband seemed rather flat. Well, all the characterization was a bit flat. The story and the era were interesting, and I'd be willing to try another in the series.
M-n
Quite good mystery actually had spooky dreams afterwards so it got to me more thanI thought, and it's not even that creepy..Wish I had nannies for my kids I would gad about for sherry evenings too...and solve mysteries..
  • Murder in the Dark (Phryne Fisher, #16)
  • The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #3)
  • Sick of Shadows (An Edwardian Murder Mystery #3)
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2)
  • Death at Glamis Castle (Kathryn Ardleigh, #9)
  • Death of an Outsider (Hamish Macbeth, #3)
  • Murder in the Place of Anubis (Lord Meren, #1)
  • Sweet Poison (Lord Edward Corinth and Verity Browne, #1)
Carola Dunn is the author of more than 30 Regency romances, as well as 16 mysteries (the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series is set in England in the 1920s). Ms. Dunn was born and grew up in England, where she got a B.A. in Russian and French from Manchester University. She travelled as far as Fiji before returning to settle in California. After 30 years in the US, she says she still sounds as if she a ...more
More about Carola Dunn...
Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1) The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2) Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3) Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4) Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)