Start by marking “Christmas Day in the Morning” as Want to Read:
Christmas Day in the Morning

Christmas Day in the Morning

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  1,880 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
Rob wants to get his father something special for Christmas this year -- something that shows how much he really loves him. But it's Christmas Eve, and he doesn't have much money to spend. What could he possibly get? Suddenly, Rob thinks of the best gift of all...

Author of nearly a hundred books for children and adults, and winner of both the Pulitzer and Nobel prizes, Pea
Published October 1st 2002 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Day in the Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Day in the Morning

Kimberly
Jul 04, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
I have to give a quick back story on how a 40-something yr old got this book from the library for herself. I have been using Goodreads on my iPhone for a few months now but still am having a hard time seeing all the content features it has to offer. I was skimming the "currently reading" section of one of the reading groups I belong to when someone mentioned "Christmas Day in the Morning" by Pearl Buck being one of their favorite holiday books. I love holiday books for getting me in the spirit ( ...more
Filipa
The true spirit of Christmas.
Kathy
Dec 05, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it
A touching classic Christmas story.
Jill
Dec 15, 2015 Jill rated it it was amazing
Brennan
Dec 23, 2014 Brennan rated it it was amazing
This has become my favorite book to read each Christmas. It is a beautifully written book - a rich and thoughtful exploration how a boy learns that a thoughtful and unexpected expression of love is the best and most lasting gift we can give. I can't make it through reading it to my kids without crying. This is a book to own and read to your family each Christmas.
Kelli
Jul 11, 2016 Kelli rated it it was amazing
Such a special book. I picked this up in the library because I just happened to see it and my three year old loves Christmas books. I did not notice it was written by Pearl S. Buck. What a wonderful story. It was so sweet that I read this book through tears. I will buy this one. And I am sorry to say I have not read anything else by Pearl S. Buck, but I certainly will now.
Srividya
Aug 22, 2014 Srividya rated it really liked it
A wonderful short story that shows how love is truly the best gift that you can give your loved ones.

The story is about a boy, who even after becoming a man, remembers a Christmas when he truly realised the meaning of loving and how it was the perfect gift for his father.

Love does not need any money or even effort, it just is and when it is, I guess it is easy to express. For most of us cynics out there, this is truly a lesson in loving and being loved.

"Love alone can awaken love" -I don't thi
Rebecca
Dec 09, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, art, holiday
I've long loved this story (never realizing it was by Pearl Buck). The artwork in this version is gentle and sweet.
Robin
Feb 05, 2013 Robin rated it it was amazing
A favorite book by a favorite author. Please visit my blog to read my review of this book. http://afondnessforreading.wordpress....
Alissa
Dec 12, 2011 Alissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, holiday
I have been familiar with this story since I was a child but had no idea that Pearl S. Buck had written it. It is a beautiful story of love and service--one that is definitely a classic.
Lucinda
Aug 29, 2016 Lucinda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-my-kids
I've read this several times to my 2 youngest because it teaches the principles of finding joy in the mundane and serving within the family.
Shuvro Das
Feb 07, 2017 Shuvro Das rated it it was amazing
After I finished this tiny story, I did not want to review it, rather re-read it. The way Pearl S. Buck has penned the true spirit of christmas is purely beyond any ordinariness. The best story so far about christmas I have ever read. Since I have read a book after so many days, it was a good starter for me. The gift Rob gives to his father and the pleasure he gets by doing that-I can hardly even imagine that. Throughout his gift, he discovers the true way of humanity, compassion and love-in a w ...more
Staciel
Dec 13, 2016 Staciel rated it it was amazing

I wish that I could also tag this book as a 'family Christmas fave', as it certainly is one of mine, but the message has unfortunately fallen flat on my children. (which explains a few things to me)

A beautifully illustrated book about love and how true gifts need not cost a penny.

This is one of the those books that includes a religious theme, so may not be for you if you are seeking more secular holiday books.
Kellyn Roth
Dec 14, 2016 Kellyn Roth rated it really liked it
Really sweet story. I want to do something like this for my parents someday ... but we don't have any cows! ;)
Jessie
Jan 11, 2017 Jessie rated it liked it
This is a really sweet story about gifts and love, and the illustrations set the mood really well.
Elise
Jan 11, 2017 Elise rated it really liked it
Good story with a good moral.
Jo Oehrlein
Jan 09, 2017 Jo Oehrlein rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Not quite a Gift-of-the-Magi story where someone sells their most prized possession to buy a gift for another. Instead, it's a story of a teenage boy giving up sleep to do his dad's early morning chores.

Great for kids who can see the kind of gifts that are remembered and make a difference, especially when kids often don't have any/much money of their own.
Karen
Jan 09, 2017 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Such a sweet story of love and doing for others. My favorite part was reading the excerpt before the story by the illustrator!...krb 1/9/17
Jonas
Dec 28, 2016 Jonas rated it it was amazing
Carol
Jan 03, 2017 Carol rated it it was amazing
I loved this one and I can't believe I haven't read it until now. This is one we will revisit year after year.
Dotty
Dec 29, 2016 Dotty rated it really liked it
I have fond memories of reading a couple Pearl Buck books. This story now in a picture book did not disappoint.
Holly
Christmas Eve book for Libby and Jamie. Beautiful, quiet book about giving and kindness.
Danette
Jan 03, 2017 Danette rated it really liked it
Made me cry...
Urs

Excellent! Truly precious and heart warming. It touched me with remembrances from my own childhood. The illustrations are beautiful!

A wonderful share for the family. ENJOY! :)

Becky
Dec 25, 2016 Becky rated it it was amazing
So lovely and touching; the true meaning of Christmas--love. ❤
Leslie
What a gem of a book! Rob would really rather go back to sleep each morning when his Dad wakes him before dawn to help milk the cows. When Christmas comes Rob decides to give his father a special gift...one from the heart.

Made me wish my parents were still alive so I could gift them with a special gift this year. A lovely story that every family should own and read together. ❤
Alexis O
Dec 20, 2016 Alexis O rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home, paper, library, 2016
A really sweet Christmas story, reminding everyone, not just children, that the best gifts we give each other are our help and love.
Patty
Mar 20, 2012 Patty rated it it was amazing
Lisa N
Dec 14, 2011 Lisa N rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming story of 15-year-old Rob who slips out early on Christmas morning to milk the cows as a special gift for his father.

I was familiar with this story but was surprised to discover that it was written by Pearl S. Buck.

We read this as part of a FHE lesson on service and it led to some wonderful discussion—do you serve because you love or do you grow to love through serving, serving discreetly, Matt 25:35-40, etc.

I loved the parallel with the barn: “‘Dad,’ he had once asked when he was
Lisa Rathbun
Dec 28, 2013 Lisa Rathbun rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas-books
I've read this short story before and found it very moving so I was pleased to see it turned into a picture book. It's quiet and gentle, a glimpse of another time when life demanded hard labor and people didn't always tell of the love in their hearts. In this tale, a boy realizes his father's love and decides to show his father love in return with a practical and generous gift.

Younger children may need to be have farm chores in the days before milking machines explained to them to get the signi
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • Apple Tree Christmas
  • The Christmas Magic
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • The Story of Holly and Ivy
  • Santa Calls
Pearl Sydenstricker Buck was a bestselling and Nobel Prize–winning author. Her classic novel The Good Earth (1931) was awarded a Pulitzer Prize and William Dean Howells Medal. Born in Hillsboro, West Virginia, Buck was the daughter of missionaries and spent much of the first half of her life in China, where many of her books are set. In 1934, civil unrest in China forced Buck back to the United St ...more
More about Pearl S. Buck...