Start by marking “Christmas Day in the Morning” as Want to Read:
Christmas Day in the Morning

Christmas Day in the Morning

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,598 Ratings  ·  134 Reviews
Rob wants to get his father something special for Christmas this year -- something that shows how much he really loves him. But it's Christmas Eve, and he doesn't have much money to spend. What could he possibly get? Suddenly, Rob thinks of the best gift of all...

Author of nearly a hundred books for children and adults, and winner of both the Pulitzer and Nobel prizes, Pea
Published October 1st 2002 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Day in the Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Day in the Morning

A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Gift of the Magi by O. Henry
Best Christmas Holiday Books
103rd out of 360 books — 490 voters
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreBear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma WilsonThe Snowman by Raymond Briggs
Favorite Christmas Picture Books
115th out of 322 books — 128 voters

More lists with this book...

Kimberly
Oct 11, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
I have to give a quick back story on how a 40-something yr old got this book from the library for herself. I have been using Goodreads on my iPhone for a few months now but still am having a hard time seeing all the content features it has to offer. I was skimming the "currently reading" section of one of the reading groups a belong to when someone mentioned "Christmas Day in the Morning" by Pearl Buck being one of their favorite holiday books. I love holiday books for getting me in the spirit ( ...more
Jill
Dec 16, 2015 Jill rated it it was amazing
Brennan
Jan 02, 2015 Brennan rated it it was amazing
This has become my favorite book to read each Christmas. It is a beautifully written book - a rich and thoughtful exploration how a boy learns that a thoughtful and unexpected expression of love is the best and most lasting gift we can give. I can't make it through reading it to my kids without crying. This is a book to own and read to your family each Christmas.
Srividya
Sep 10, 2014 Srividya rated it really liked it
A wonderful short story that shows how love is truly the best gift that you can give your loved ones.

The story is about a boy, who even after becoming a man, remembers a Christmas when he truly realised the meaning of loving and how it was the perfect gift for his father.

Love does not need any money or even effort, it just is and when it is, I guess it is easy to express. For most of us cynics out there, this is truly a lesson in loving and being loved.

"Love alone can awaken love" -I don't thi
Alissa
Dec 12, 2011 Alissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, holiday
I have been familiar with this story since I was a child but had no idea that Pearl S. Buck had written it. It is a beautiful story of love and service--one that is definitely a classic.
Rebecca
Dec 09, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, art, holiday
I've long loved this story (never realizing it was by Pearl Buck). The artwork in this version is gentle and sweet.
Jackie
A melancholy, reflective story about a man-grown-old as he remembers his father and the love he had for him. Growing up on a farm is hard work and it is work that is never done, even on Christmas. Rob, at fifteen, wants to get something special for his father, but knowing that they are poor, gifts are difficult to come by.

He decides to give his father something that money cannot buy...the gift of time, time to enjoy his little family on Christmas morning, as he gets up extra early to complete t
Lisa Rathbun
Dec 28, 2013 Lisa Rathbun rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas-books
I've read this short story before and found it very moving so I was pleased to see it turned into a picture book. It's quiet and gentle, a glimpse of another time when life demanded hard labor and people didn't always tell of the love in their hearts. In this tale, a boy realizes his father's love and decides to show his father love in return with a practical and generous gift.

Younger children may need to be have farm chores in the days before milking machines explained to them to get the signi
Patricia
Mar 20, 2012 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Lisa N
Dec 14, 2011 Lisa N rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming story of 15-year-old Rob who slips out early on Christmas morning to milk the cows as a special gift for his father.

I was familiar with this story but was surprised to discover that it was written by Pearl S. Buck.

We read this as part of a FHE lesson on service and it led to some wonderful discussion—do you serve because you love or do you grow to love through serving, serving discreetly, Matt 25:35-40, etc.

I loved the parallel with the barn: “‘Dad,’ he had once asked when he was
Stampartiste
Dec 18, 2015 Stampartiste rated it it was amazing
I checked this book out because I wanted a light book to read at Christmas time and was intrigued that Pearl S. Buck had written such a short Christmas story. Her story of a young man giving the gift of his time and effort to his father as a Christmas gift was so heartwarming. Ms. Buck's tale reinforces the idea that gifts from the heart, not from the store, are truly the most valuable. I loved this little book, and the illustrations by Mark Buehner are spectacular!
Vicki
Feb 22, 2015 Vicki rated it really liked it
As always, Pearl S. Buck did not disappoint. This edition of the 1955 classic story presents itself with beautifully warm and quaint illustrations by Mark Buehner.

From the book jacket's inside flap: "A welcome addition to everyone's holiday collection, this timeless treasure will bring the true meaning of Christmas to the entire family for generations to come."
Erin
Jan 02, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
I was first introduced to this story by a Brigham Young University's short film titled "The Gift". I love the special feeling of service and sacrifice in this story. I did not know the original author was Pearl S. Buck, one of my favorite authors. I read this book to my children one evening close to Christmas Day. I grew up a "city girl" so I can only imagine what feelings Rob had about getting up early to do the farm chores. But my family can relate to getting up early to do paper routes. I was ...more
Lisa
Apr 04, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing
The story of a boy, who a few days before Christmas, overhears his father telling his mother how much he loves his son, and how he wished things could be easier for him. The son realizes how much he is loved, and how much he loves his father in return, which makes him want to do something special for his father for Christmas.

He wakes up at 3am and does all the milking and chores, so his father won't have to. His father is truly touched, and then, as a bonus, gets to see his children see the Chr
Debbie
Nov 28, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it
A book for all ages, this has become one of our family favorites, read every year during the Christmas season. Pearl Buck's heart-warming short story captures the true meaning of Christmas in the telling of a boy's simple gift of love. The beautiful illustrations transport you to the time and place. Enjoy!
Karen
Dec 21, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
I am so glad I came across this book. I started a new tradition this year with my boys who are 14 and 9. We are reading a Christmas book each night during advent, starting December 1st and ending Dec 24. Some of the ones AI had purchased on recommendations were a bit young for them. So after some more searching, I came across this book. It is a perfect fit! A great story about how a father's love for his son is shown in return when that son shows his love for his father by getting up early on Ch ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Dec 06, 2009 Holly (2 Kids and Tired) rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
This has always been one of my favorite Christmas stories, and a couple of years ago, my mom gave me this lovely hardcover version of it.

The story opens with a man remembering a long ago Christmas when money was scarce and he wanted to find the best possible gift for his father. Overhearing his father tell his mother how much he hates to waken his son each morning to do the milking, Rob realizes how much his father really does love him. He decides that the gift he will give his father is to do
Katherine
Dec 18, 2015 Katherine rated it it was amazing
A lovely story about a son who gives his father a special gift for Christmas--a gift of love. I remember hearing this as a child and it's just as enjoyable and heartfelt to read it as an adult. A nice edition with illustrations.
Julie H.
Dec 22, 2013 Julie H. rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-timeless
Christmas Day in the Morning is a timeless Christmas story of the love between a farmer father and his teenage son. The artwork is beautiful, but a bit dark--visually, that is--as in difficult to hold aloft and show around a classroom or to a bunch of kids gathered for story time. That last fact is unfortunate, as the drawings are really quite marvelous. All told, this tale reinforces the point that there are many ways in which love can be expressed. It's also a nice reminder, however, that it's ...more
Bethany
Dec 15, 2015 Bethany rated it it was amazing
This is in my top 4 Christmas books, a remarkable feat for a story I didn't read until last year. Just so beautiful. I need. To get it together and read The Good Earth.
Mckinley
Jun 23, 2014 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, christmas
Similar Christmas picture books : The Gift of the Christmas Cookie by Dandi Daley Mackall; An Orange for Frankie by Patricia Polacco; Annikas Secret Wish by Beverly Lewis; The Christmas Miracle Of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski; A Christmas Dress for Ellen by Thomas S. Monson; The Story of Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden; and Rosa by Leo Politi.
Douglas
Dec 21, 2015 Douglas rated it it was amazing
I have read this the past few years in a row with our oldest daughter Georgie. I remember my mom reading this to me as a child and I'm glad to carry on the tradition.
Rebecca
Jan 28, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Gorgeously illustrated and tenderly written children's book by Pearl S. Buck about farms and family and understanding the sacrifice of a parent's love.
Shannon
Dec 12, 2015 Shannon rated it it was amazing
I love this story. If you can teach your children that the greatest gift is kindness and service, the world becomes a little bit better everyday.
Sharon
Jan 01, 2016 Sharon rated it it was amazing
A classic Christmas story by Pearl S. Buck, beautifully illustrated by Mark Buehner. I enjoyed listening to and discussing this book with Naomi.
Debra
Aug 25, 2012 Debra rated it it was amazing
Although this book is tucked away in the picture book section of the children's section, this is an all ages book. The story is a warm story of a boy learning of his father's love and deciding to repay that love by during a deed of self-sacrifice by secretly rising early on Christmas Day to do all the milking and barn work on his own. Then hiding back in his bed, ignoring his father's waking call and leaving his father to discover that all the work had been done. The story is wonderful, the illu ...more
AmyK
Jan 01, 2016 AmyK rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous illustrations by Mark Buehner. A story of love between a father and son ~ not much better way to start the New Year!

Marci
Pearl S. Buck's simple, sweet Christmas story--Christmas Day in the Morning--was first published in 1955, but never in picture-book form. Using wonderfully subtle illustrations, many of them taking place on dark evenings, Mark Buehner has created a charming book, perfect for reading aloud with children. The author includes a personal note at the beginning of the book, explaining how he came to know this story and why he chose to illustrate it. Sometimes the best things come in simple packages. C ...more
Ali
Dec 26, 2014 Ali rated it it was amazing
read this book every year with my family too!
Sharon
Dec 31, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing
A must-read Christmas classic for all.
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • Christmas Oranges
  • Red Ranger Came Calling
  • Apple Tree Christmas
  • The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • The Christmas Magic
  • The Story of Holly and Ivy
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
Pearl Sydenstricker Buck (1892–1973) was a bestselling and Nobel Prize–winning author. Her classic novel The Good Earth (1931) was awarded a Pulitzer Prize and William Dean Howells Medal. Born in Hillsboro, West Virginia, Buck was the daughter of missionaries and spent much of the first half of her life in China, where many of her books are set. In 1934, civil unrest in China forced Buck back to t ...more
More about Pearl S. Buck...