Start by marking “Always a Reckoning and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
Always a Reckoning and Other Poems

Always a Reckoning and Other Poems

The first collection of poetry by former President Jimmy Carter, who shares here his private memories about his childhood, his family and political life, with illustrations by his granddaughter. Always a Reckoning sets a precedent since no other president has published a book of poetry. Gift packaged with ribbon marker. A portion of the proceeds from sales will be donated ...more
Published November 22nd 1994 by Crown Archetype

To ask other readers questions about Always a Reckoning and Other Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Always a Reckoning and Other Poems

Holly
Jul 21, 2008 Holly rated it really liked it
Stood in line to get this signed at the Tattered Cover bookstore in Denver years ago, and had brief conversation with Pres. Carter:
Me: I hope you don't get carpel tunnel syndrome.
He: (small laugh) If I haven't by now, I never will.
Nice memory.
Stephen
I don't know if Jimmy Carter has a poetic voice or not. Still the stories relayed are very touching. I have grown fond of Carter as a man, and it is his writing (more often essays) which has done this. Thoughtful and sometimes comical. Very telling of the place and times he grew up.
Patrick
Jul 07, 2011 Patrick rated it it was amazing
I have read two other books by Jimmy Carter, "LIVING FAITH" and "SHARING GOOD TIMES" and I really enjoyed them. My brother in law knowing this gave me a book of poems by Jimmy Carter entitled "Always A Reckoning". This book is divided into four sections,PEOPLE,PLACES,POLITICS,and PRIVATE LIVES. I have to admit even though I don't read a lot of poetry I really enjoyed this book. If read from front cover to back cover you can actually learn a lot about MR. Carter's life.
Wes
Feb 04, 2008 Wes rated it really liked it
This was a good collection of poems. It ran shortly across the bulk of the life of our great former president. One does not only get to see him as a person but gets to know that he sees things as we do. I enjoyed reading this as well as noting the illustrations. His poems catch the simple side of life and also bring some of the complexities of being president into simple verse.
Megan
Feb 14, 2010 Megan rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book of poems. It was a gift from a colleague at work and I was a bit unsure if I had any interest in reading it, but I finally did and was pleasantly entertained by his poems.

Check it out if you enjoy poetry.
Paula Weisberger
Feb 08, 2014 Paula Weisberger rated it liked it
Shelves: bios-memoirs, poetry
I didn't really even know that Jimmy Carter was a poet. The poems were sort of short and simple, like little snippets of memoir, but helped to paint a more rounded picture of the ex- president than I had had before. Easy to read and pretty straightforward.
Shorewalker
Jun 16, 2012 Shorewalker rated it really liked it
I rather enjoyed this book of poems by our former President, showed be a great deal of insight into his compassion for his fellow human beings. A book to keep and re-read passages from time-to-time.
Kecia
Jun 07, 2007 Kecia rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
A Christmas gift from my father. He had autographed for me. He said Carters eyes are like huge deep clear blue pools of water. It may not be the best poetry I've ever read but it's worthy of a read now and then.
Amelia Holcomb
Dec 16, 2015 Amelia Holcomb rated it liked it
A poetic lens into the life and youth of Jimmy Carter without getting too far into the details. Certainly worth the little bit of time it takes to appreciate a few simple stories.
Kim
Mar 28, 2007 Kim rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who just kinda likes poetry.
Shelves: bookmarked
If I were a bigger fan of reading poetry I might like this book more. I think I just really like Jimmy Carter. The poem about being with the girl with leprosy is awesome.
Melissa
Aug 13, 2007 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Jimmy Carter is a surprisingly thoughtful poet. There are a lot of poems about the South and such. They're not bad, they're just not my taste.
Todd
May 05, 2008 Todd rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
As far as I can discover, Jimmy Carter is the only American president ever to publish a book of poetry. The quality is uneven, but some of the best poems here are quite good.
Yvonne Flint
Jun 09, 2016 Yvonne Flint rated it really liked it
Although the poetry won't win awards, the honesty and humanity of a life well lived shine through with touching warmth.
Robert Palmer
Aug 14, 2013 Robert Palmer rated it really liked it
This is a delightful little book of poems penned by former President Carter. Although he is no master of poetic technique, several of his poems brought tears to my eyes.
Jimmy
Dec 01, 2013 Jimmy rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry-authors
The poetry was a bit better than I expected. The stories in them were not quite as interesting as I had hoped for.
Imperfect
Imperfect rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Gwendolyn
Gwendolyn rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2009
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
May 07, 2013
Roxanne
Oct 11, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
This book is poetry and politics and a few other subjects.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2015
Gr4menu
Gr4menu rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
Brandon
Brandon rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2013
Lynda
Lynda rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2007
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2008
Elizabeth C. Fericy
Elizabeth C. Fericy rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Adam Walker
Adam Walker rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2011
Aaron Poorman
Aaron Poorman rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2013
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. was the thirty-ninth President of the United States, serving from 1977 to 1981, and the recipient of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize. Prior to becoming president, Carter served two terms in the Georgia Senate and as the 76th Governor of Georgia, from 1971 to 1975.

As president, Carter
More about Jimmy Carter...