Sharing Good Times

Sharing Good Times

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  28 reviews
In this wonderfully evocative volume, Jimmy Carter writes about the things that matter most, the simple relaxed days and nights that he has enjoyed with family and friends through the years and across the generations.
Here are lively, witty accounts of exploring the outdoors with his father and with black playmates; making furniture; painting; pursuing new adventures and...more
Published November 7th 2005 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sharing Good Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sharing Good Times

Cindy
Another marvelous book by my favorite president. I'm happy that he takes time to explain the Carter Center. A place where antagonistic leaders can utilize their services as mediators. They still fulfill this role whenever opportunities arise and constantly monitor world conflicts. About 120 are on the current list, about 70 erupt into violence each year. 30 are considered major wars where at least 1000 soldiers have died in combat. In modern wars, nine civilians perish for each soldier killed. T...more
Coleen
Jimmy Carter was president back in the years when I really didn't take much interest in who was leading our country. I was in elementary school and honestly don't think I cared much for him, mostly because I thought he had a funny southern accent, which seems very superficial of me, even as a kid. Nowadays, I wish I'd paid more attention. I think he was one of the good guys and it's a shame we can't say that about most of our political leaders these days.

I've not read any of Carter's other memo...more
Kurt
This wretched little book is like being trapped at a family reunion with your most boring relative. President Carter does share stories of good times, but he does so with a singular lack of storytelling ability. The chapters here mostly adhere to a chronological order, but that's about the only literary thing about them. President Carter just kind of lays out observations one after another, and not interesting ones either: "I had black friends when I was a kid. I like baseball. I like fly fishin...more
Joanna
I knew almost nothing about Jimmy Carter's personal life before listening to him read this memoir. While a lot of the memoir feels a touch like name-dropping (and then, the head of the parks department who used to work for me when I was Governor of Georgia took me bird watching...and then we were invited to stay at the ski lodge owned by Prince so-and-so...), I enjoyed the book. Carter describes with remarkable honesty what lousy husband he was during his early years of marriage (when he made ma...more
Ken
This is probably the most inconsequential of Carter’s “mini-memoirs”, having little of the timeless insight of, say, “An Hour Before Daylight” and covering some of the same ground. This one looks across Carter’s entire life, though, and recounts some particularly memorable occasions he spent, well, sharing good times with friends.

I have to admit, though, that as a fan and admirer of Carter I did find it interesting to learn that he is an avid outdoorsman and hiker well into his later years. He h...more
Lauren
Presidential memoirs, autobographies, biographies, and other books written by and about presidents have held a high and favored position on my reading lists since I read Jimmy Carter's presidential memoir, Keeping Faith, in the early 80's. Carter is an excellent writer, an activity perhaps far better suited for his intellect and personality than was being president. His collection of short vinettes about activities he's shared with family and friends is engaging and fascinating.
Billie Hufford
this is really an enjoyable read. the book centers on family, charity, and the hobbies of the former President and his family.

I loved all of the stories of travels to climb mountains, fish, bird watch, etc. The Carters love of nature is evident in this book.

The relationship between Jimmy and Rosalyn is to be admired. Both having their separate lives, yet still being very much a couple and enjoying great experiences together along with working to change the world.

The book can jump around a lit...more
Dan Bartholomew
A simple selection of memories from the past, of experiences with family and friends. Carter gives the reader insight into his values and how relationships have shaped his life. A bit surface at times, and he can be forgetful of the every man/reader when describing his worldly trips with family and friends to exotic destinations as the guest of heads of state and corporate leaders. An extremely quick read though...I finished in a day. All in all it was worth the time.
JennLynn
Jimmy Carter describes some of the pastimes and experiences, both simple and exotic, that he has shared with his family and used as a way to draw closer to them. Though every chapter was a unique experience, the tone stayed the same and after awhile I found myself enjoying it less.
Marie
July 11, 2011: I enjoyed this book for what it was - Jimmy Carter sharing good times that he experienced with his wife, his family and his friends and professional associations over the years. Jimmy Carter has had an amazing life; definitely cannot call it dull. this is yet another memoir-type book of his life, where he reminisces over his past accomplishments, hobbies and "issues" he's had and at times will reflect on how he perceives these actions today.

----------------------------
I have been...more
Brad
Carter's book is a recap of all of his experiences traveling the known world with his wife and family. There is nothing breathtaking about this book, but it is great to witness how one personally enjoys the finer things and life, and it shows just how down to earth of a man Carter really is. It provides insight on just what it is like to travel after being president. My only complaint is that at times, Carter would only touch on certain things and issues, leaving the finer details out, that woul...more
David Bales
A pretty fun book by President Carter that tells about his childhood in rural Georgia, his love of fishing and hunting and nature, his family, and numerous adventurous holidays that he's taken over the last 60 years in Africa, the Himalayas and elsewhere, almost always with his wife Rosalynn or the children and grandchildren. Carter not only is an accomplished fisherman, but is a pretty good runner and mountain climber, too.
Kerry
I enjoyed this book, not only because I've always been a Jimmy Carter fan, but because I was amazed to hear in his own words what an extraodinary life he has led. I admire him even more if that's possible! I never knew any of his personal exploits so it was quite interesting to hear about the adventures he has taken with his family -- every generation to date. We should all lead such full and purposeful lives!
Jenni
I admire Jimmy Carter for many reasons, but I can't get excited about his memoir writing. Too often, he gives just the bare bones of a story, with little emotion and too few details to make it personal ... which is what I need from a memoir to really learn anything about that individual.

I'm keeping "Hornet's Nest" on my to-read list but might not read any more autobio stuff for a while, if ever.
Taylor
I have found this book very powerful. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has been touched by Pancreatic Cancer because it will give you hope, love, strength, courage, faith, love to yourself, and to everyone else. To find this book, go to http://www.simonsays.com
robert helm
This guy has had an amazing life. Kilimanjaro at 64? GET OUT OF HERE! It was inspiring and just made me feel good reading it. I think it helps if you hear that Georgian southern drawl of his as you read.
Jen
I enjoyed the book, may not be interesting to most, about JC's excursions that most people would not have the same experience given his internationl reknown, but interesting to read all the same.
Patrick
Oct 27, 2007 Patrick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
In this book President Carter talks of the importance of sharing good times. I is I guess a memoir of the good times he has shared with family and friends.
Hapzydeco
President Carter is better at writing memoirs than fiction I believe. Rosalynn said, “We’ve learned to give each other enough space to be different.”
Caitlin
so far this book is almost exactly like an episode of the waltons. i like when he says "larga alligatas" and "when rosa and i were president."
Darrin Niday
Nice stories, but jumped around, and did a little political bashing, I could have done without. Some stories were repeates from other books
Kerry
reminds me of "At Ease" Stories I tell my friends by Dwight Eisenhower. My favorite of the Carter books.
Janice Simpson
I only read this book to kill some time but I think it would have been more entertaining to watch paint dry.
Douglas Graney
His point seems to be it's good to have friends. Stick to public policy Jimmy.
Martin
Not as good as his childhood memoir, but interesting.
Robin
Started good, then got boring.
Maryann
Great bathroom book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. was the thirty-ninth President of the United States, serving from 1977 to 1981, and the recipient of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize. Prior to becoming president, Carter served two terms in the Georgia Senate and as the 76th Governor of Georgia, from 1971 to 1975.

As president, Carter created two new cabinet-level departments: the Department of Energy and the Department of...more
More about Jimmy Carter...
Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid An Hour Before Daylight: Memoirs of a Rural Boyhood A Call to Action: Women, Religion, Violence, and Power The Hornet's Nest