Start by marking “Sharing Good Times” as Want to Read:
Sharing Good Times

Sharing Good Times

Following his New York Times bestselling classics comes this sparkling account of the joys of sharing the simple pleasures of life from Jimmy Carter.

In this wonderfully evocative volume, Jimmy Carter writes about the things that matter most, the simple relaxed days and nights that he has enjoyed with family and friends through the years and across the generations.

Here are
Published November 7th 2005 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sharing Good Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sharing Good Times

Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it did not like it
This wretched little book is like being trapped at a family reunion with your most boring relative. President Carter does share stories of good times, but he does so with a singular lack of storytelling ability. The chapters here mostly adhere to a chronological order, but that's about the only literary thing about them. President Carter just kind of lays out observations one after another, and not interesting ones either: "I had black friends when I was a kid. I like baseball. I like fly fishin ...more
Cindy
Feb 18, 2011 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Another marvelous book by my favorite president. I'm happy that he takes time to explain the Carter Center. A place where antagonistic leaders can utilize their services as mediators. They still fulfill this role whenever opportunities arise and constantly monitor world conflicts. About 120 are on the current list, about 70 erupt into violence each year. 30 are considered major wars where at least 1000 soldiers have died in combat. In modern wars, nine civilians perish for each soldier killed. T ...more
Ken
Mar 27, 2011 Ken rated it liked it
This is probably the most inconsequential of Carter’s “mini-memoirs”, having little of the timeless insight of, say, “An Hour Before Daylight” and covering some of the same ground. This one looks across Carter’s entire life, though, and recounts some particularly memorable occasions he spent, well, sharing good times with friends.

I have to admit, though, that as a fan and admirer of Carter I did find it interesting to learn that he is an avid outdoorsman and hiker well into his later years. He h
Coleen
Apr 17, 2012 Coleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jimmy Carter was president back in the years when I really didn't take much interest in who was leading our country. I was in elementary school and honestly don't think I cared much for him, mostly because I thought he had a funny southern accent, which seems very superficial of me, even as a kid. Nowadays, I wish I'd paid more attention. I think he was one of the good guys and it's a shame we can't say that about most of our political leaders these days.

I've not read any of Carter's other memo
Joanna
I knew almost nothing about Jimmy Carter's personal life before listening to him read this memoir. While a lot of the memoir feels a touch like name-dropping (and then, the head of the parks department who used to work for me when I was Governor of Georgia took me bird watching...and then we were invited to stay at the ski lodge owned by Prince so-and-so...), I enjoyed the book. Carter describes with remarkable honesty what lousy husband he was during his early years of marriage (when he made ma ...more
Helene
Jan 22, 2015 Helene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading about all of Jimmy and Rosslyn's adventures. They jogged and hiked before it became so popular. I was surprised to hear about their climbs on Everest and Fuji and Kilimanjaro during their 60s. Reading about their other hobbies and interests like woodworking and birding was interesting. They are good role models for social, intellectual, spiritual and physical fitness! I also like hearing about Jimmy's struggles with not being self-centered and calling all the shots. He achieved a ...more
Billie Hufford
Jun 14, 2014 Billie Hufford rated it really liked it
this is really an enjoyable read. the book centers on family, charity, and the hobbies of the former President and his family.

I loved all of the stories of travels to climb mountains, fish, bird watch, etc. The Carters love of nature is evident in this book.

The relationship between Jimmy and Rosalyn is to be admired. Both having their separate lives, yet still being very much a couple and enjoying great experiences together along with working to change the world.

The book can jump around a lit
Marie
Jun 21, 2011 Marie rated it really liked it
July 11, 2011: I enjoyed this book for what it was - Jimmy Carter sharing good times that he experienced with his wife, his family and his friends and professional associations over the years. Jimmy Carter has had an amazing life; definitely cannot call it dull. this is yet another memoir-type book of his life, where he reminisces over his past accomplishments, hobbies and "issues" he's had and at times will reflect on how he perceives these actions today.

----------------------------
I have been
Brad
Apr 20, 2008 Brad rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Carter's book is a recap of all of his experiences traveling the known world with his wife and family. There is nothing breathtaking about this book, but it is great to witness how one personally enjoys the finer things and life, and it shows just how down to earth of a man Carter really is. It provides insight on just what it is like to travel after being president. My only complaint is that at times, Carter would only touch on certain things and issues, leaving the finer details out, that woul ...more
Mary Lynn HR
Feb 26, 2016 Mary Lynn HR rated it really liked it
Shelves: purchased
Former President Carter tells stories of fun times with family, friends and leaders from around the world. All pleasant stories of hiking, fishing, mountain climbing . . . . nothing too dramatic. Overall an enjoyable book. It was like sitting down with Grandpa and having him tell stories, like remember that time Roselyn & I were climbing up . . . . . Overall an enjoyable and short book of pleasant memories.
Kerry
Apr 14, 2008 Kerry rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, not only because I've always been a Jimmy Carter fan, but because I was amazed to hear in his own words what an extraodinary life he has led. I admire him even more if that's possible! I never knew any of his personal exploits so it was quite interesting to hear about the adventures he has taken with his family -- every generation to date. We should all lead such full and purposeful lives!
Dan Gobble
2nd time listening to President Carter read this book. What a delight! One of my favorite presidents sharing intimately about his family life and career. He's not afraid to look critically at himself especially when looking at his relationship with his wife. He was able to set aside pride and point out ways in which he grew in seeing his life with his wife as a partnership where they shared power and in decision making.
Jenni
Apr 13, 2008 Jenni rated it liked it
I admire Jimmy Carter for many reasons, but I can't get excited about his memoir writing. Too often, he gives just the bare bones of a story, with little emotion and too few details to make it personal ... which is what I need from a memoir to really learn anything about that individual.

I'm keeping "Hornet's Nest" on my to-read list but might not read any more autobio stuff for a while, if ever.
Lauren
Apr 27, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
Presidential memoirs, autobographies, biographies, and other books written by and about presidents have held a high and favored position on my reading lists since I read Jimmy Carter's presidential memoir, Keeping Faith, in the early 80's. Carter is an excellent writer, an activity perhaps far better suited for his intellect and personality than was being president. His collection of short vinettes about activities he's shared with family and friends is engaging and fascinating.
Dan Bartholomew
Feb 01, 2014 Dan Bartholomew rated it liked it
A simple selection of memories from the past, of experiences with family and friends. Carter gives the reader insight into his values and how relationships have shaped his life. A bit surface at times, and he can be forgetful of the every man/reader when describing his worldly trips with family and friends to exotic destinations as the guest of heads of state and corporate leaders. An extremely quick read though...I finished in a day. All in all it was worth the time.
David Bales
Feb 19, 2011 David Bales rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
A pretty fun book by President Carter that tells about his childhood in rural Georgia, his love of fishing and hunting and nature, his family, and numerous adventurous holidays that he's taken over the last 60 years in Africa, the Himalayas and elsewhere, almost always with his wife Rosalynn or the children and grandchildren. Carter not only is an accomplished fisherman, but is a pretty good runner and mountain climber, too.
Kristina Harper
Dec 26, 2013 Kristina Harper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-memoirs
Five stars for this lovely little book chronicling President Carter's shared life experiences with those people lucky enough to be in his inner circle. He is a remarkable man who still, in his early 90's, is living an extraordinary life of service, intellectual stimulation, and love and companionship with his family and friends. I don't know if there is anyone I admire more.
Christina Jay
Aug 24, 2015 Christina Jay rated it it was amazing
This book, written by former US President Jimmy Carter, is about his and his wife, Rosalynn's, travels. It is a quick read taking me around the world with this loving couple. My favorite chapter was their mountain climb in Nepal.
Taylor
Oct 27, 2013 Taylor rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I have found this book very powerful. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has been touched by Pancreatic Cancer because it will give you hope, love, strength, courage, faith, love to yourself, and to everyone else. To find this book, go to http://www.simonsays.com
JennLynn
Jun 09, 2014 JennLynn rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-library
Jimmy Carter describes some of the pastimes and experiences, both simple and exotic, that he has shared with his family and used as a way to draw closer to them. Though every chapter was a unique experience, the tone stayed the same and after awhile I found myself enjoying it less.
Lisa
Jun 22, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it
This is my first exposure to Jimmy Carter, other than memorizing his presidential years in grade school.
I enjoyed reading about his life. It felt like I was listening to stories from my Grandma. I'm encouraged to live an active life and to continue learning.
Bob Helm
Mar 01, 2010 Bob Helm rated it liked it
This guy has had an amazing life. Kilimanjaro at 64? GET OUT OF HERE! It was inspiring and just made me feel good reading it. I think it helps if you hear that Georgian southern drawl of his as you read.
Patrick
Oct 27, 2007 Patrick rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
In this book President Carter talks of the importance of sharing good times. I is I guess a memoir of the good times he has shared with family and friends.
Hapzydeco
Apr 21, 2010 Hapzydeco rated it liked it
President Carter is better at writing memoirs than fiction I believe. Rosalynn said, “We’ve learned to give each other enough space to be different.”
Caitlin
Dec 03, 2008 Caitlin rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
so far this book is almost exactly like an episode of the waltons. i like when he says "larga alligatas" and "when rosa and i were president."
Kerry Kenney
Jun 20, 2008 Kerry Kenney rated it really liked it
Shelves: white-house, memoirs
reminds me of "At Ease" Stories I tell my friends by Dwight Eisenhower. My favorite of the Carter books.
Susan Reed
Sep 29, 2015 Susan Reed rated it it was amazing
excellent!
Maryann
Jul 25, 2008 Maryann rated it liked it
Great bathroom book.
Robin
Apr 30, 2013 Robin rated it it was ok
Started good, then got boring.
Martin Bihl
Not as good as his childhood memoir, but interesting.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Rice Room: Growing Up Chinese-American from Number Two Son to Rock 'n' Roll
  • Head First: The Biology of Hope and the Healing Power of the Human Spirit
  • Bioinformatics For Dummies
  • Condoleezza Rice
  • Speaking for Myself: The Autobiography
  • One silent sleepless night
  • Hubener vs. Hitler: A Biography of Helmuth Hubener, Mormon Teenage Resistance Leader
  • Acceptable Loss: An Infantry Soldier's Perspective
  • Let Me Finish
  • Writing Creative Nonfiction
  • Hole in the Sky: A Memoir
  • Franklin and Lucy
  • The Little Girl Who Fought the Great Depression: Shirley Temple and 1930s America

James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. was the thirty-ninth President of the United States, serving from 1977 to 1981, and the recipient of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize. Prior to becoming president, Carter served two terms in the Georgia Senate and as the 76th Governor of Georgia, from 1971 to 1975.

As president, Carter
More about Jimmy Carter...