Start by marking “When Rose Wakes” as Want to Read:
When Rose Wakes

When Rose Wakes

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Her terrifying dreams are nothing compared to the all-too-real nightmare that awaits. . . .

Ever since sixteen-year-old Rose DuBois woke up from months in a coma with absolutely no memories, she’s had to start from scratch. She knows she loves her two aunts who take care of her, and that they all used to live in France, but everything else from her life before is a blank.

Ro
Published (first published September 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about When Rose Wakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Rose Wakes

Eliza Baum
This book was alright. The concept was good, and the characters were decent, but it lacked that little extra zing that would have made it something more. It covered a span of only a couple of weeks for the characters to get to know one another, and I just didn't know most of them well enough to care. Rose's dreams were the best part, honestly; I think I would have liked to have read a regular Sleeping Beauty story done with this set rather than the modern day transposition of it.

Not an awful way
Miss Clark
Feb 22, 2011 Miss Clark rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Yan
Every fairy tale is told and retold through generations across the ocean and through the test of time. Rose, however, is having trouble recalling any fairy tales and just as well as she wakes from a 2 year coma. Her life, as her aunts tell, was back in France before they moved to America for better medical care. Her parents—dead. Her friends—not really talked about. Her memory—just lingering in the back of her head.

Rose is determined for it not to get the best of her as she enrolls into a new s
BOOK BUTTERFLY
WHEN ROSE WAKES was an intriguing book with a unique take on a classic fairy tale. But before I dive into this review, I need to point out one important thing. This synopsis reveals way too much! I wish I had been able to uncover the enticing details of the plot for myself, including the evil witch, friendly fairies, the curse, etc--basically all the magic and excitement spelled out in the synopsis.

With that being said, I still greatly enjoyed this book. Throughout the narrative, the reader is t
Elizabeth
Rose DuBois has been in a coma for 2 years. She unexpectedly wakes up and remembers nothing about her life before except for her two aunts. After going through physical therapy and some counselling, she returns to her aunts' home. Her aunts have some weird quirks: they make her drink this really bitter tea and hang little charms all around her room. Plus they vehemently want her to stay away from any boys, almost abnormally so, and they refuse to give her any real detail of her life before the c ...more
Precia Kalam
Book: When Rose Wakes
Author: Christopher Golden

Well...I really don't know where to start. There were numerous amount of cons and pros along with the book. One of the pro's is the main character. Rose was an easy character to admire. Rose came from France and is supposedly a princess from a thousand-something years ago. She is courageous, sweet, and is strong. Also the book was very addicting. The narration was good and kept me interested. Lastly, the book was pretty addicting. It made me wanna
Angie
I've had my eye on this one ever since I heard it was a modern retelling of Sleeping Beauty. I haven't read a Christopher Golden book in quite a long time and I was anxious to see what he was up to lately and how his take on the fairy tale stood up. My favorite retelling of Sleepy Beauty is Robin McKinley's Spindle's End (surprise, surprise) and that one definitely reshapes the tale in new and beautiful ways to allow Rosie to take a much more active role in her own life and with regards to the c ...more
Janet Whalen-Jones
Christopher Golden always writes great stuff. This book is aimed at a teen audience. A dreamy boy and budding romance, along with a hate/hate relationship between our heroine Rose and an evil cheerleader set this book firmly within the high school experience. Rose is the new kid, known to the school as "Coma Girl". She has just awakened in the hospital, and has only amorphous memories of her own life. She knows she has been raised by her 2 middle aged aunts, and that they all lived in France, bu ...more
Nina
Who doesn’t love fairy tales?

Rose is a 16 year old girl and such a sweet character. She loves her aunts very much and I could really tell that she didn’t wanted to do anything that might hurt them. The relationship that was developing between Rose and Jared was fun to read about. I felt that Jared really cared about her and with all those wicked stuff happening believed her.

The aunts where great characters too. They reminded me of the aunts in the movie Practical Magic. Loving, caring and just s
Carien
I have read several books by Christopher Golden that I really liked, so when I saw this retelling of Sleeping Beauty I had to read it.

And Golden delivers.

This is a really enjoyable book. Although not as creepy as I had expected after reading the blurb, there's still lots of suspense and mystery.

Golden's take on the Sleeping Beauty tale makes use of some familiar elements, but he adds his own spin on the original story as well, in a way that feel natural. I very much enjoyed puzzling Rose's backg
Tian
I thought this book was very poorly written. Some authors are really good at writing with the main character in the opposite gender, but I didn't think Christopher Golden didn't do Rose justice. The climax occurred too late in the book, and there wasn't much chance to feel the threat in the book before the whole things was over. I didn't really enjoy this book much:(
Rebekah
I love fairy tales. As far as retellings go When Rose Wakes had a solid premise. What if Sleeping Beauty woke up as a modern day teenager? The premise was promising but the execution was lack luster, solid but lack luster. Rose was a constant contradiction. At some points she acted confident and strong like a regal princess and at other times she was a spoiled brat. Through the dreams I got the impression that she was very respectful of her elders.

The real problem that I had with this book was
Faith
It was ok.... The concept was good and Rose was pretty entertaining. But I don't think it had enough to make it memorable. Sure it was a good spin on Sleeping Beauty but it was missing some good suspense or action. But i guess that's hard to do with Sleeping Beauty.

Jared was a bit of sleaze trying to get in her pants but I guess that reality now, huh.

Rose's history was amazing. It was interesting and different but didn't get the whole brother thing.

The ending was a little unexpected and creepy
Lee Anne
2 1/2 stars. Mostly just wondering how she could know this and not know all the other things she didn't know. Never quite made sense to me.
Alyssa (The Shady Glade)
Eh... I really started out liking this one. And it just kind slumped downhill after the first third. The problem was that the synopsis revealed a little too much. The modern take on the Sleeping Beauty myth was certainly original, but just wasn't for me. I won't reveal it, since that would spoil the little amount of suspense that's left.

Bottom line, after a good start, I didn't really like it. Perhaps my hopes were too high. Plenty of people loved it though so maybe you'll like it more than I d
Jo
A nice take on the Sleeping Beauty tale blending modern times with a medieval French kingdom. This included many elements from the original story and even wove in an affair between one aunt and Charles Perrault. The added elements enhanced the motivations of the evil fairy giving the reader a solid reason for her hatred of Rose. This would be a good way to explore multi-dimensions of characters and address behavior that is not fully explained in the fairy tales.
buttercup
loved it...esp when the book ends and rose is like,ever after only exists in fairytales...
Doreen
Yvonne Boag
Rose has been in a coma for a very long time. She has no memories of growing up and nothing is familiar to her. At night she has terrible nightmares that are set in the past. All Rose wants is to be a normal girl and go to high school but she is starting to doubt everything around her. Maybe she is still in the coma?

it was OK but not that great. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Allison
I'd say this book was just okay. I liked the author's style of writing, just not the plot of the novel. It doesn't seem very exciting for her to be in a magic induced coma for a long time then suddenly wake up and have a regularish life. The flashbacks didn't really help either, I found I often skipped over them because they just weren't interesting enough to grasp my attention.
Magda
The ending seems to indicate a sequel, but not quite. It was like this book couldn't quite figure out what kind of book it wanted to be and kept tossing and turning within itself—which made it reflect the throes of adolescence of the main character, so that worked rather well.

Almost three stars until I came to think about the book itself.
Liz
loved the idea of this book. I did think that rose could have been a little more "classic" of a character since she technically was born a few hundred years ago. I thought she was little too much like a teenager today. But other than that I loved this book; it was a very fun and fast read.
Emily
I like the concept; I like the writing; I liked Rose. I just wanted more out of the ending. I think it would've helped if the aunts (particularly Fay) were developed more.

Though I have to get Golden credit for surprising me. I did not see the wood nymph thing coming.
Ann
What are you to do when you don't even remember who you are? what if your only family members aren't telling you the whole truth? In this story Rose gets her modern fairytale with a twist. Great Read
Stephanie
This book was kinda slow for me. It seemed to really drag until the last 50 pages or so and then the author had to hurry and finish it. I like the idea of a modern day Sleeping Beauty. Overall an okay read.
Heidi
I liked it for the most part, but I had a hard time with the ending. It concluded to quickly for Rose to have figured out everything she needed to and to sort out all her inner conflict
Tammy Kesteloot
I really enjoyed this book. Parts of it were a bit slow.. but most of the story moved pretty quickly. If you enjoy fairytale retellings than this is definitely worth reading!
Book Bazaar
A fun retelling of Sleeping Beauty which should appeal to lovers of the paranormal as well as other teen fiction readers.
Lara
Great book and related a lot to sleeping beauty the story

Definitely recommend
 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒbern
Sept. 28, 2010
  • The Sevenfold Spell (Accidental Enchantments, #1)
  • Fractured: Happily Never After? 3 Tales
  • Thornspell
  • Night's Rose (Night's Rose #1)
  • Curse of the Thirteenth Fey: The True Tale of Sleeping Beauty
  • Cinders
  • Moonlight and Ashes
  • Sleeping Beauty: Vampire Slayer (Twisted Tales, #2)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • The Shadow of the Bear (A Fairy Tale Retold #1)
  • Out of the Wild (Into the Wild, #2)
  • A True Princess
  • Dust City
  • Mrs. Beast: A Novel
  • Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem
  • Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen
  • A Pearl Among Princes
  • The Next Full Moon
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more
More about Christopher Golden...
The New Dead: A Zombie Anthology Hellboy: Odd Jobs Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 1 Out of the Madhouse (The Gatekeeper Trilogy, #1) Hellboy: Odder Jobs