Start by marking “Out of the Woods” as Want to Read:
Out of the Woods

Out of the Woods (Eden Sisters #2)

The fun fair is in town! With its clouds of pink candy floss and whirling big wheel, what child could resist such temptation? Little do the Eden sisters know that they are being lured into a wicked witch’s lair. . . . Belladonna wants
Aurora’s heart and Storm’s all-powerful musical pipe, and she will stop at nothing to get them. Driven by vanity and greed, she makes a truly
Published April 13th 2010 by David Fickling Books (first published August 6th 2009)

Ifrah
Jan 07, 2011 Ifrah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Out of the Woods Book Review

Would you ever go into a deep dark woods that was filled with dangers and mysteries? Where most people wouldn’t go, Storm Eden the heroine of this book is always willing to go. She is witty, clever and courageous. Out of the Woods, is a sequel of the previous book, Into the Woods. They both are great and entertaining books to read, especially if you are a fairytale lover. The have romance, action, comedy, adventure, and humor. Storm is willing to do anything to prot
Pat
Apr 01, 2015 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of the Woods: A Memoir of Wayfinding by Lynn Darling
There are quite a lot of memoirs which where the writer goes off somewhere by themselves and finds a new way forward. Of particular note for me were Plant Dreaming Deep by May Sarton and her follow up Journal of Solitude. The first memoir described her new life in a new home in New Hampshire, a journal which had a very popular appeal. In the second she tried in her words to erase what she felt was `the false impression’ she had given of her
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
While I haven't read the first book in the series, I enjoyed reading the sequel. There was enough of the back story that I didn't feel lost on what was going on, nor did I feel that it was redundant. I really liked the way in which Lyn put a spin on various children's fairy tales and meshed them together in this book. It was the fairy tale lore that hooked me the most.

In true fairy tale form, there's adventure, love, danger and an important message that lies just beneath the heart of the story.
Theresa
Dec 25, 2014 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
maybe a 3.5? another book for the I hate 5 stars system. This book is really well written. She adds depth to every character and their is lots of conversation. So why is it not a solid four if not a five?

Too weird for me. Just eye rolling , groaning weird. Had I read some reviews and saw what people were likening it to, I wouldn't have picked it up. This isn't my kind of book.

Storm is the rightful owner of an enchanted pipe. Evil Belladonna wants it to take over the world. She also wants to eat
Katieb (MundieMoms)

Katie
Feb 11, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of the Woods is a sequel to Into the Woods written by Lyn Gardner. This book can stand alone though, as I thought there was enough back story that I didn’t need to read the first book to understand the plot. As a teacher, I would suggest this book to 5th-8th grade students. I would suggest they read it at any time, but especially after a fairy tale unit. Although it is not written in the traditional fairy tale style, it tells a story about three new characters that experience romance, comedy ...more
Cym
Sep 12, 2011 Cym rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lisa
Book 2 in Lyn Gardner's possible trilogy, this book was so much fun and recommended to me by Timothy. A trio of sisters must make it on their own in the face of Belladonna who wants the beautiful older sister, Aurora's, heart (remind you of a certain fairy tale?) and the magical pipe of the second sister, Storm. Through several twists and turns, visits from other fairy tale characters (even the Grimm brothers), the story comes to a most dramatic ending! For kids who love fantasy and fairy tale, ...more
Cassandra
Retelling of: Snow White, Orpheus and the Underworld, Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, Goldilocks, Ordinary Princess.

Not as good as the first one, but still a nice mashup of several fairy tales, this time including some greek myths too (!!)

Was mainly Snow White and Orpheus and Eurydice, but there were bits of The Snow Queen, Red Riding Hood, and even a bit of The Ordinary Princess and mentions of Jack and the Beanstalk and Goldilocks.

Ren
Feb 05, 2014 Ren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I was a little disappointed with this sequel. It just didn't quite live up to the first novel and felt disjointed, especially in the beginning.
However, I am really glad to have read it and found out what became of the Eden sisters. There were quite a few brilliant plot points and bits that made me giggle. And I cannot help but enjoy the plethora of fairytales that found their way into the stories.
Melissa Dwyer
Originally rated E by Cheryl Sprys
Gardner combines fairy tales and Greek mythology to come up with an exciting sequel to Into the Woods. Storm, Aurora and Any face the wicked witch Belladonna as she tries to get Aurora's heart and the magic pipe, which has returned to Storm. Their friend, Kit, turns out to be the missing prince. The story is fast-paced, one adventure after another. There is quite a bit of suspense at the end, but all turns out well.
Jenny
Jan 31, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable sequel to Into the Woods. I am a fairy tale junkie, so I really appreciated the references to the classic stories and characters. This (and the first in the series) would be great for a book club...so many extended activities exploring which fairy tale appeared in the stories.
Kimberly Mcclune
No sequel could have been better penned to a book than this to its predecessor, Into the Woods. Lyn Gardner has once again brought her characters to life in a world intertwined with familiar fair tale stories and personalities. Storm and her sisters face their biggest challenges ever in this final act filled with adventure.
Annette
Memoir of making it on your own, similar in style to Joan Anderson's A Year by the Sea, but not as full of the inner wisdom Joan shared. This story is more about how Lynn learns to navigate her new life, (empty nest), while learning how to find her way around the woods and mountains where she has taken up residence.

Enlightening, but covers no new ground in my opinion.
Shawn Ruth
Apr 27, 2011 Shawn Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute YA novel, but I'm pretty sure it is the second book in a series, but I didn't figure this out until I was in the middle of the book. Oh well. It was still a cute book. I will just have to go find the first one now.
Linda
May 26, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt a bit of deja vu reading this after reading Into the Wild by Sarah Durst. Similar idea with the interweaving of the fairy tale plots, the fast-paced action and the humor. This can be read by itself, but it is the sequel to Into the Woods and there are references to action from that book.
April
Jan 13, 2015 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I wasn't quite drawn to this sequel than I was with Into the woods, as it did not lead up to my expectations. But I did enjoy most of the plot, and found myself giggling at some of the comedy that was added to the story. I also definitely enjoyed the fairy tale mashups.
Heather
I didn't like the previous book as much as I had anticipated, but this one was entirely different. I enjoyed it much more than I had anticipated. This book has quite a fun and entertaining cast of characters and a fabulous set of adventures.
Kristin
Fairy tale mashups can be tricky...and Into the Woods was the only one of the recent ones that I really loved. This sequel is pretty awesome...bringing in greek mythology, LOTR themes, AND a pretty cool girl-powery version of Snow White...with lots of other supporting fairy tale bits as well.
Julie
Jul 26, 2014 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun reworking of miscellaneous fairy tales into a contemporary kids' adventure story, with a dash of humor thrown in for good measure. Probably best suited to the younger end of the mid-grade (junior fiction) scale.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Gardner's plot blends together several of Grimm's fairy tales with the ancient Greek myths of Pandora and Orpheus.
The plot's tone is similar to: "Series of Unfortunate Events."
The theme of grief and jealousy is woven in and works well with the humor.
Michelle White
THis book was a fun read. I think student's would enjoy reading it too. I got it at the IUS Library.
Afifah Liyana
Apr 21, 2011 Afifah Liyana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's so freaking good..
Georgia
Nov 06, 2013 Georgia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
not as good as into the woods but the story line was still enjoyable. also I like how it involved some characters from the first book who we assume we wont see :)
Renee
Aug 17, 2010 Renee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4th-6th
Integrates/refers to several fairy/folk tales most prominently Sleeping Beauty.
Kate
May 28, 2010 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first book. I was a bit disappointed.
B
I just couldn't get into this book. Read 3/4 of it.
Susan
Mar 03, 2010 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out feeling like a repeat of the first book, but I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome and plot twists.
Missy
Nov 10, 2010 Missy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just found out there was a sequel, and read it in a day.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn
  • Clemency Pogue: Fairy Killer (Clemency Pogue #1)
  • The Tasters Guild (Poisons of Caux, #2)
  • Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)
  • No Other Story (Whole Nother Story, #3)
  • Beware Of The Storybook Wolves
  • The Duplicate
  • Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally)
  • Final Jeopardy: Man vs. Machine and the Quest to Know Everything
  • The Secret of Zoom
  • The Sorcerers and Their Apprentices: How the Digital Magicians of the MIT Media Lab Are Creating the Innovative Technologies That Will Transform Our Lives
  • Tales Before Narnia: The Roots of Modern Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • The Eyeball Collector (Tales From The Sinister City, #3)
  • C'mon Papa: Dispatches from a Dad in the Dark
  • My Frankenstein
  • I Know Here
  • The Wyverns’ Treasure (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #3)
  • Tacky Goes to Camp
Lyn Gardner is the author of Olivia’s First Term and the other Olivia books. She was born in London and now lives near Richmond Park with her partner and two daughters. A theatre critic for The Guardian, she goes to the theatre five or six nights a week, which should leave no time for writing books at all. Before she became a journalist, Lyn was a tea lady, a waitress and sold advertising space fo ...more
More about Lyn Gardner...

Eden Sisters (2 books)
  • Into the Woods (Eden sisters, #1)