Start by marking “The Berets (Brotherhood Of War, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Berets (Brotherhood Of War, #5)

The Berets (Brotherhood of War #5)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  3,116 ratings  ·  14 reviews
They were the chosen ones--and the ones to be the best. Never before had the United States given so select a group of fighting men such punishing preparation. Now they were heading for their ultimate test of skill and nerve and sacrifice, in a war unlike any they or their country had ever fought before...in a land that most of America still knew nothing about...Vietnam.
Published October 15th 1986 by Jove Books (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Berets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berets

Mike (the Paladin)
I've put off starting W.E.B. Griffin's books...for years. I knew if I liked them I'd be getting hooked on a long involved series of books.

Well, I'm now caught in a long involved series of books. (Like that's never happened before).

On the bright side there are a lot of them already out there. I began here at #5 in the series because I was in the military in this period. So, I'm now planning to read them in 2 "series" at a time. I've sent for the first book The Lieutenants. After that I plan to re
Angus Whittaker
This may be my favorite book in the Brotherhood of War series so far (of which this is book 6). This was the first book in which there was some real action (sustained real action, anyway) and it turns out that Griffin is actually very good at writing action scenes. Why he seems to avoid all action in his other books in the series mystifies me. If it's a book about the military, you expect there to be some fighting, right? Instead, Griffin concentrates more on the officers' dinners, the mundane d ...more
Suzie
enjoying the series immensely. Gives a different perspective on the military and the type of people involved with it. Also incredibly well-written and humorous.
Mark
This is probably the third time through the series. While you can dip in anywhere, the only good way to experience the characters is by starting at book 1, and going forward.

Later books kind of explain enough for a character to make sense, but to realize well-rounded, non-two dimensional characters, you need to see them evolve.

Craig Lowell, for instance, who is really the central character throughout, seems shallow and inconsequential without his back story. He is, in fact, an admirable person.
Richard Palmer
Ah, the saga continues. Craig Lowell seems to be back in good graces, standing in the wings throughout this novel, waiting for the command that we all hope he earns. His relationships with women continue their roller coaster evolution. This book shows Special Forces as a real bastard stepchild within the Army as a whole, respected for their skills but not quite accepted as part of the rank and file organization.

Griffin continues his masterful storytelling, and introduces a couple of new charact
Will
The Kennedy Years and Early Vietnam. Jack Kennedy gives a huge surge to the Green Berets when he personally promotes Paul Hanrahan to BGEN and declares the beret their headgear. Lowell encounters Georgia Payne for a brief rejoinder and see his hopes for an enhanced air cav taken up by McNamara and given impetus. Lowell makes armor proud in his logistical solutions in getting Ft Hood's armor rolling, only to have the Cuban invasion obviated when the Russians pull the missles out of Cuba. Many for ...more
David Ward
The Berets (Brotherhood of War #5) by W.E.B. Griffin (Jove 1986) (Fiction - Military). These men were chosen to be the best, and they had been through the most punishing preparation ever given to any group of soldiers. Now they were off to fight a type of war never before undertaken and in a country most westerners had never heard of: Vietnam. My rating: 7/10, finished 1986.
George
I just can't put these books down. They just keep coming up on my ipod. I like the Lowell character best: he's filthy rich but is engaged by "work" in the Army. Confined to staff puke work, he continues to amaze, then punches the pooch. On to book #6, The Generals
J.W. Thompson
I learned that it would be great to be able to write like this author---he stand alone in his field. read it years ago
Scott Vanzandt
Read these years ago, but I read the Whole Series. Great look inside the Army and Army life.
Rick Matson
One of the better of the Brotherhood series. I recommend them all!
Robin Halvorson
A reread which shows you the caliber of the book.
Terry Thomas
Super. Read the entire series.
Anne
Anne is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2014
David
David added it
Dec 16, 2014
  • The Ten Thousand (Scott Dixon, #4)
  • Red Army
  • Into the Storm: On the Ground in Iraq (Commanders)
  • Final Flight (Jake Grafton, #2)
  • Red Phoenix
  • The Steel Wave (World War II: 1939-1945, #2)
  • Hammer Heads
  • Charlie Mike
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin...
The Hostage (Presidential Agent, #2) Semper Fi (The Corps, #1) By Order of the President (Presidential Agent, #1) The Lieutenants (Brotherhood of War, #1) Call To Arms (The Corps, #2)