Start by marking “Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond (Vol. 1): Guiding Principles to Welcome Rain Into Your Life and Landscape” as Want to Read:

This is Volume One of the three-volume set, Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands. Volume One helps bring your site to life, reduce your cost of living, endow you with skills of self-reliance, and create living air conditioners of vegetation growing beauty, food, and wildlife habitat. It's full of stories of people who are successfully welcoming rain into their life and landsc ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Rainsource Press

Be the first to ask a question about Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond (Vol. 1)

Dave Riley
Mar 07, 2011 Dave Riley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening, ecology
After reading a lot of literature on permaculture and rainwater harvesting I think this manual is the best I've read on this specific subject .Much of the new ecological gardening and house design literature is schematic even etherial. Lancaster, in contrast, is absolutely concrete and considerate of likely practical issues. He knows his stuff and is so very generous is sharing his experience and knowledge with the reader.

In fact, I consider that on the subject of design and earthworks he is an
Al Kutil
Dec 19, 2014 Al Kutil rated it it was amazing
This book should be applied no matter if you have a lot of rainwater or a tiny amount. Whether rain forest, prairie or desert, these principles can equalize the water wars that have already started. Helping your neighbor, community or city has not been outlawed, so I don't understand why a rain barrel is considered against the law. Work WITH your local government, or work around their lack of knowledge and help them overcome inertia. This book will certainly help in that endeavor.
Diane
Jan 06, 2011 Diane rated it it was amazing
Excellent technical manual for people serious about harvesting rainwater in a variety of ways. Graphs, calculations, explanations... this is a rainwater textbook. Along with its other volumes, it is a treasure.
Lori
Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond, Vol I & II by Brad Lancaster is a must-have for those who understand the scarcity of clean, available water today, and want to make a difference on how they use water now. The need for water smarts was true in 2006 when I first found out about Brad and his organization, and it is true today.

These books are for a home library of people who are living as homesteaders, for those interested in a Permaculture, or sustainable future. It would benefit c
Judith
Sep 12, 2013 Judith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book.

With it you can learn how to harvest rainwater in earthworks as well as learn about harvesting greywater and other techniques for designing a resilient and abundant yard and garden. This book contains many great drawings for those who learn best by visuals.

Water harvesting can save you money, increase your property's drought resiliency, grow beautiful fruit trees, prevent soil erosion, increase wildlife habitat.... And all you really need is the know-how (from this bo
Diane
Dec 02, 2009 Diane rated it it was amazing
Shades of the Whole Earth catalog! And yet I can't BELIEVE that I haven't paid more attention to this issue before now. Why do we (collectively, here in San Diego) let our rainwater (it's free! it's fresh! it's not full of chlorine!) run down to the sea filled with junk it picks up from roofs, streets, yards, everywhere -- and then pay and pay and pay for heavily treated water from the Sierras, the Colorado River, the Sacramento lta? There is way more information in this book than I'll ever be a ...more
Denee
Sep 25, 2013 Denee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won
I entered for this book in the hopes I would learn how to make better use of the natural resource here in the pacific northwest (rain) but when it arrived,I must say,WOW! I got so much more than I had hoped for. What a great book, well written,thoroughly researched and an amazing amount of illustrations and photographs. This is one I will not only keep and use, but will end up buying copies for family members in drier areas. Great book!
Steven Berbec
May 01, 2015 Steven Berbec rated it it was amazing
You won't look at rainwater in the same way. Rather than watching it wash away into some drainage system Lancaster calls us to be responsible with this overabundance. We must return to harvesting what Nature has been offering us from the beginning. Rainwater is the manna of all living things and in this volume Lancaster cultivates the thirst again.
Jojo
Sep 05, 2013 Jojo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Volumes 1&2 are fantastic resources for working with our natural resources of earth, rain and sun. I found brads descriptions and diagrams of water flow and water trapping particularly informative. These two books are a definitive resource for homesteaders.
A-ron
Feb 07, 2009 A-ron rated it really liked it
His writing style loses much with his flippant granola-crunchy style, but he makes up for that with the crunch of lots of useful information. Even as a professional who does this stuff for a living, I found this book worth reading.
Catherine
This would be a good resource for someone with youth, equipment, and energy, and/or someone who is starting with an unlandscaped lot. For me, it was a little too much. Super important issue, though.
Jamila
Nov 13, 2007 Jamila rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Desert Dwellers
Shelves: resource
Why don't we practice these water saving principals? This book was eye opening.
Tinea
Mar 26, 2016 Tinea marked it as to-be-finished
Shelves: ecology-diy
Recalled twice now from the library. In-demand book in Tucson! I will buy this for myself one day but just haven't yet. Paradigm-shifting, altering how one even sees landscape.
Denis Farley
Apr 14, 2012 Denis Farley rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!
Sarhee
Mar 22, 2009 Sarhee added it
Good resource for rainwater harvesting.
Melissa
May 17, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books in the world.
Mostadam Eco-Design
Nov 04, 2013 Mostadam Eco-Design rated it it was amazing
Shelves: garden, to-nature, farming
Simple introduction, easy to read and exactly what i need. the photos can be a bit rearranged to fit the writing. excited to start the second volume tomorrow..
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2008
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2012
Kay Gottschamer
Kay Gottschamer rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2014
Christopher Dart
Christopher Dart rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2017
Anthony Bonaventura
Anthony Bonaventura rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Stephanie Berbec
Stephanie Berbec rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2015
Wendy Tremayne
Wendy Tremayne rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2013
Wright
Wright rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2016
John Denson
John Denson rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Alan Sloan
Alan Sloan rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Melanie Chelpka
Melanie Chelpka rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Jack Stephens
Jack Stephens rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2012
Meg
Meg rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The New Create an Oasis with Greywater: Choosing, Building, and Using Greywater Systems, Includes Branched Drains
  • The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • Rocket Mass Heaters: Superefficient Woodstoves You Can Build
  • Permaculture: Principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability
  • Permaculture: A Designers' Manual
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 2: Ecological Design and Practice for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • The Earth-sheltered Solar Greenhouse Book: How to Build an Energy Free Year-round Greenhouse
  • Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World
  • Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
  • Forest Gardening: Cultivating an Edible Landscape
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
  • The Earth Care Manual: A Permaculture Handbook for Britain and Other Temperate Climates
  • Landscaping with Fruit: Strawberry ground covers, blueberry hedges, grape arbors, and 39 other luscious fruits to make your yard an edible paradise.
  • Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties: The Gardener's and Farmer's Guide to Plant Breeding and Seed Saving, 2nd Edition
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • The Permaculture Handbook: Garden Farming for Town and Country
Brad Lancaster has taught, designed, and consulted on regenerative-design systems of permaculture and integrated water-harvesting systems in seven countries since 1993. He created and lives on a thriving solar-powered 1/8th-acre (0.05-ha) urban oasis in downtown Tucson, Arizona, which harvests 100,000 gallons (378,000 liters) of rainwater a year where just 12 inches (280 mm) falls from the sky. Br ...more
More about Brad Lancaster...