Start by marking “Always Dakota (Dakota, #3)” as Want to Read:
Always Dakota (Dakota, #3)

Always Dakota (Dakota #3)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  2,285 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Published May 1st 2001 by Mira Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Always Dakota, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Always Dakota

Carla
I didn't like this book as much as I liked her other books - Montana, Blossom Street series, etc. I think my dislike stemmed from the Axel subplot and the handling of Shelley's pregnancy.

Having friends/family who have endured the adoptive process, I really disliked the way Axel was taken from the couple. I work as a volunteer GAL, and the first mandate is to keep the child feeling stable. Unless the home was truly unfit (and this would be determined by a caseworker as WELL AS a CASA volunteer),
Erin
I rarely go looking for a Debbie Macomber book, but when I happen to pick one up, I always seem to enjoy it. They aren't overly serious or thought-provoking, but they provide a nice dose of escapism when you are in need. What I always enjoy about Macomber's books is that she makes you believe that people tend to be good at heart, and that life doesn't have to be overly complicated, if you just stick to what is important. I also enjoy that her books tend to run in series or trilogies, so you get ...more
Connie N.
The 3rd in the Dakota series started out slow, but I really liked it by the end. I didn't think I was interested in reading about Margaret and Matt since they hadn't appealed to me as interesting characters in previous books, but as their relationship developed, so did their personalities. Actually, this whole book seemed to deal with various people living good lives despite setbacks in their pasts. They had to mature and deal with the consequences of their histories. Calla...Bob and Merrily...S ...more
Jill
I have to say, I was pretty disappointed with how much of the book was actually about Margaret and Matt. I felt like their story line was pretty much finished before the book was halfway done, and there were just little tidbits about them later that were neatly wrapped up. That being said, I did like "visiting" Buffalo Valley again.
Two tales dominate this book. We learn more about Buffalo Bob and his Buffalo gal. Then there's Margaret who decides she's going to marry the bad boy in town because she knows she can give him what he wants: her ranch passed on to her after her father's death.
Margie Gundelach
I really enjoyed this book - read it in less than one day! You'll probably ejoy it more if you read th first two books of the trilogy first. These are the first Debbie Macomber books I've - I am now a fan!
Jane(Janelba)
What a beautifully written end to this trilogy. I loved every page of this series.
Linda C
This volume of the Buffalo Valley series deals with Margaret Clemens and Matt Eilers. Margaret has loved Matt for years but is a rough rancher with little knowledge of her feminine side. When her father passes and she inherits is large ranch she proposes to Matt. Matt is seen by the town to be a hard working rancher but a ladies man and rather shallow. He is dating Sheryl, a beautiful conniving waitress when Margaret declares herself. Sheryl wants him to take advantage of the situation and marry ...more
Debbie West
great book! i read 1st, but not 2nd in this series. but it wasn't too hard to catcch up. debbie MaComber ccan make me laugh or cry! i was rooting for Margaret& Matt,, as well as Buffalo Bob& Meredith, and for Sarah& Dennis& Sarah's daughter Calla. i was ready to give calla a piece of my OWN mind before the story ended! ha! Mrs MaComber writes clean books, with characters who know and love our God our Father! Great job by Mrs Macomber as always!
Angie
Synopsis: "Local rancher Margaret Clemens is taking a chance on happiness, and going after what she wants for a change. And what she wants is marriage to cowboy, Matt Eilers. Regardless of what her friends and family say, and despite all the rumors, Margaret wants Matt anyway. Oh...and she plans on having his baby, too."

My Review: I was really looking forward to this book, of all the characters so far in this series (and there are an insane amount) she is the one I thought I would connect with t
Dee

Didn't love these characters
Good end to series
Betty Melton
Heartwarming

A Town to raise a child or three. Sentimental story were with a building story line.Definitely on my list of recommendations
Tiffany
This was a similair writing style like her Cedar Cove series. There were several families/characters stories featured. The book kept alternating between them. My complaint with this is there are so many different people and sometimes it was only 2 pages or so of one story and then on to another. I eventually knew the characters and was able to keep track. Another problem with this style is there are stories that are more interesting and sometimes other stories that are more frustrating. At first ...more
Jan Mcleod
In the last book of the Dakota trilogy, many conflicts and situations are resolved, or at least better. However, Margaret and Matt face a new serious situation that could dissolve their marriage forever.
Buffalo Valley is thriving again. New business have sprung up and others are in the works. People are moving into the town, and several babies are born.
This is my second reading, and I enjoyed it as much the second time as I did the first. The plot was not dull or slow,and the characters were ea
Linda
Loved it! Can't wait to get the next one. I will be sorry when the series ends.
Barbara ★
I really liked the first two books in the series but this one just wasn't the same caliber. Maybe had I read them recently instead of over 5 years ago, I might have been more invested in the story. Unfortunately, Always Dakota comes across as a bunch of short stories combined one paragraph at a time into the semblance of a story. There is no clear hero and heroine but four or five separate couples finding love and experiencing problems. There were tons of POVs that really detracted from the over ...more
Cathie
somewhat predictable. There are a couple surprises. Overall a good book and series.
Medea Royal
Just finished the last book in the Dakota trilogy and I have to say what a way to end it. Loved everything about the book especially the way that Calla finally saw what she was doing to her relationship with her mother and needed to fix the rife between them. Also the story between Matt and Margaret ended the way it should have ended because Matt needed Margaret just as much as she needed Matt. I am really glad I read this trilogy because it shows how true life can change in a heartbeat wherever ...more
Tammy
I finished this trilogy 'just because' but did not love it. I really don't 'love' anything that Macomber writes -- her work is too saccharine, too contrived for my taste. This book Always Dakota, is the final in the trilogy, and the end seemed rushed -- almost like, Oops, I've got to wrap this whole thing up in 10 pages?? Which she proceeded to do, but to me, it was just ho-hum. If you're a fan of Macomber, you'll probably enjoy these books, as she does stay true to her style of writing.
Linda
After reading my last book (a terrorist thriller where the storyline was so convoluted you couldn't follow it), I was ready for a "light" read. Debbie Macomber never fails to provide these type of books. Always Dakota is indicative of all her books, with multiple characters who all have problems to overcome and relationships to develop. Each storyline is neatly wrapped up by the end of the book in a satisfactory way that leaves the reader feeling good.
Michelle Molinari
Slow starting this time around but the plot was deeper with the adoption drama of Axel and the Shelley pregnancy. I didn’t think I’d like Matt either and Margaret seemed like a pathetic character but their romance grew on me and as much as I disagree with the Axel situation I’m not sure the alternative would send the right message about kidnapping.
A
I think that the reason I liked this one a little better was because Margaret's character made me laugh out loud at times. But there was a reviewer that I completely agree with. Reading this trilogy was like eating Cheesecake for me. Rich, sweet, but you can't have it regularly. Its a once in a while thing.
Kim Hampton
The third book in the "Dakota" series, and I didn't think it was quite as good as the first two. I still really enjoyed it, but if I had been the author, there were a couple of things I would have done differently. I do love these characters and can't wait to find out what happens in the final book.
Samantha
Couldnt put it down
Patti
This was a story about modern day ranch life. So much has been written about the old west that this was a nice update. I liked the unconventional love story. The characters were bold and life-like. I learned that if you want something very badly and work tremendously hard, it can be attainable.
 Gigi Ann
This is the third book in the Dakota Trilogy, and I enjoyed it as much as the first two. If I want a comfort book to read, I always know I can turn to a Debbie Macomber book and be satisfied. I read the three books back-to-back and enjoyed all three, even though they were very predictable.
Erin
Hmmm .. what to say? I disliked the heroine so much that it almost ruined the final book in the Dakota series for me. Margaret was just too emotionally stunted for me to enjoy. I could not give the book less than four stars because I still love Macomber's portrait of small town Dakota.
Chris
Final book of the Dakota trilogy was excellent, but disappointed this is the last of this set. Macomber wrapped the lives of the characters up nicely, but there were some surprises throughout which made for (some) deviation from the standard romance ending.
Robert Jackson
I haven't been reading long, I have read a good many books in the last 6 months. in the Dakota series is one of my favorite. Debbie makes you feel like you are part of the story. I wish the series had more books. I will read all her books that I can
thanks
Jeanne
This story seemed to switch back and forth between families and sometimes was confusing. I did like the many families of Buffalo Valley. It had the charm and sense of community that only a small town can have. It was like a fairly tale town.
  • Kentucky Heat
  • The Horsemaster's Daughter (Calhoun Chronicles #2)
  • Shotgun Bride (McKettricks, #2)
  • Harbor Lights (Chesapeake Shores, #3)
  • Down by the River (Grace Valley Trilogy, #3)

Macomber is the author of more than 100 novels, most recently the instant #
More about Debbie Macomber...
The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1 ) A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2) 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2) 16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, #1) Twenty Wishes (Blossom Street, #5)