Start by marking “The Virtues of Aging (Library of Contemporary Thought)” as Want to Read:
The Virtues of Aging (Library of Contemporary Thought)

The Virtues of Aging (Library of Contemporary Thought)

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  164 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
"We are not alone in our worry about both the physical aspect of aging and the prejudice that exists toward the elderly, which is similar to racism or sexism. What makes it different is that the prejudice also exists among those of us who are either within this group or rapidly approaching it. When I have mentioned the title of this book to a few people, most of them respo ...more
Published October 13th 1998 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Virtues of Aging, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Virtues of Aging

Lewis
Mar 29, 2008 Lewis rated it liked it
One you get past the platitudes and preachiness (this is Jimmy Carter), you're reminded again that, while he may have been one of our worst modern presidents, he is also one of the best human beings to have ever held the office. His mature acceptance of the viccissitudes of aging, and his ability to grow at every stage of life is pretty inspiring. I wouldn't vote for him again, but I would like to have him as a neighbor.
Robert Bason
Jul 19, 2015 Robert Bason rated it it was ok
Since I'm 76, I decided I'd better read something about aging. The title of this book was intriguing - since being "virtuous" (for once in my life) sounded nice. But, while mildly interesting, it hasn't improved me - and becoming virtuous is no closer that before I read the book. I seem to be doing what I'm supposed to be doing at this age - which was disappointing, since I thought I was maybe exceptional. It was sort of interesting to be reading this now since it was written in 1998 and Jimmy C ...more
Jennifer Nanek
This was a nice little book written to make one feel better about getting older. President Carter explains about some of the benefits of being older and how one can improve ourselves over time. He encourages education, volunteerism, getting things in order, staying healthy and so forth. I enjoyed this, was a quick and easy read.
Gail
Nov 20, 2015 Gail rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs
Not very meaty but a very easy, quick read. I did find some parts overwhelming, as in, Jeez, I'm such a slacker compared to President Carter and his cohorts! But, I did find inspiration in the second half of the book and recommend that for people who enjoy thinking about the meaning of their lives and managing the fact of our mortality.
Nancy
Aug 22, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
Interesting read after just finding our Carter has brain cancer. A lot of logic in what he writes but he's also been lucky to have many privileges in his life also. An easy read and you will learn a little about growing older that should prove useful.
Jonathan Mandell
Jul 12, 2007 Jonathan Mandell rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: retirees, Cartermaniacs
One of Jimmy Carter's 19 post-presidential books (so far), this short tome offers folksy, common sense advice for people who, like him, are "involuntarily forced into retirement" -- in his case, from the White House.
In one chapter, he talks about the activities he maintains -- fishing, mountain climbing, bird-watching, skiing, tennis, hunting -- and adds "I haven't yet given up at ny of the active sports of my earlier years, although I have had to cut back on some of them. Now I run three miles
Karen
Nov 08, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
Jimmy Carter describes how he and Rosalynn build a rich and full life after his "forced retirement" at 56 (when he failed to win re-election). As a young adult, he imagined a life with much fewer possibilities for himself as a 60 something, 70 something and 80 something. However, he built a life full of purpose, service, learning, devotion, and meaningful relationships with friends, family members, activists and volunteers. He also describes the rich and full lives of many people 80 plus, dispel ...more
Aja
Jun 08, 2014 Aja rated it it was ok
Not a bad read, but I had a few issues. 1. You can tell it was written by a politician (count of the use of the word "citizen" alone would tell you this) 2. Kind of out dated. Felt more like an essay than anything else.
Roxanne
Oct 11, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
Since I am getting older I picked up this book. I agree he was not the best President but I think he has been the most excellent person in the office.
Linda
Sep 06, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Jimmy gives solid, easy to achieve, life enhancing advice on aging. I just purchased another book on aging written by he and Roselyn.
Sumarie
Feb 26, 2016 Sumarie rated it really liked it
Very short, interesting and inspirational book, but this was written 18 years ago when Jimmy Carter was 72. He's now 90 and I think the book could use a good update.
Burky Ford
Oct 25, 2015 Burky Ford rated it liked it
Shelves: to-finish
This book told me my options are, but did not ignite my imagination.
Nov 09, 2009 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audios
I pretty much like everything that I've read by Jimmy Carter. I guess I like most anything that encourages me to think positively and do good. Plus I like his voice. This particular book didn't tell me anything I didn't know but I guess that's often the case with something that is basic and rings true, no big "ah-has" just "well, of course".
Donna
Sep 06, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it
This book was so positive and left me feeling good about myself and what we can all do in our senior years, life is not over if we pursue interests and help others. It was an easy read and I think I may read it every year to remind me of what's really important
Jan 21, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
I really enjoyed what he had to say...it was a quick easy read
Vicki
Jun 16, 2012 Vicki rated it liked it
This came highly recommended, so I was hoping for a little more than what I got. It was an easy read, some helpful advice I'd like to refer to later. There are parts of it I'd like to read again in future years, as the "Aging" thing becomes more real.
Fred
Jan 15, 2008 Fred rated it liked it
Recommends it for: all adults
I have this audio book, read by the author. I listened to most of it last year in the Spring. I have great respect for this man and would love to volunteer to work in his center in Atlanta. I help out on Habitat for Humanity. He has a good mind.
Hunter Daughtrey
Oct 17, 2012 Hunter Daughtrey rated it really liked it
I read this when I was younger. I gave it to my Dad who greatly admired President Carter. I need to re-read now that I need to find some virtues in where I am.
Milt
Jan 01, 2016 Milt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
never too late or soon
Phwade143
Jun 10, 2012 Phwade143 rated it it was amazing
I love Jimmy Carter! He is such a nice person. Too nice for politics are being the President. I enjoyed this short sweet book.
Susannecahill
Mar 27, 2012 Susannecahill rated it really liked it
From the Library of Contemporary Thought Monthly Series. Great uplifting read.
David
Jan 01, 2013 David rated it liked it
Read this for school, but was actually a pretty good book
Meltch1
I found this book surprizingly interesting
Linda Atkinson
Interesting but not profound. Quick read.
Linda
Mar 29, 2008 Linda rated it liked it
Aging and preparing for it.
Alex
Oct 15, 2009 Alex rated it really liked it
A pleasant read
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Louis Picone
Louis Picone rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Nishat Farhat
Nishat Farhat marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
  • Still Here: Embracing Aging, Changing and Dying
  • The Little Girl Who Fought the Great Depression: Shirley Temple and 1930s America
  • Baseball: a Literary Anthology
  • Leaving Tinkertown (Literature and Medicine Series)
  • A Long Way from Home
  • Losing America: Confronting a Reckless and Arrogant Presidency
  • Mary Lincoln's Flannel Pajamas: And Other Stories from the First Ladies' Closet
  • Lectures on Shakespeare
  • A Bittersweet Season: Caring for Our Aging Parents--and Ourselves
  • Papa, My Father: A Celebration of Dads
  • The Lavender Hour
  • Death in Slow Motion: A Memoir of a Daughter, Her Mother, and the Beast Called Alzheimer's
  • Setting the Desert on Fire: T. E. Lawrence and Britain's Secret War in Arabia, 1916-1918
  • Hidden History: Exploring Our Secret Past
  • Old Herbaceous: A Novel of the Garden
  • Passages in Caregiving: Turning Chaos into Confidence
  • Island of Hope, Island of Tears: The Story of Those Who Entered the New World through Ellis Island-In Their Own Words
  • The Story of Ain't: America, Its Language, and the Most Controversial Dictionary Ever Published

James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. was the thirty-ninth President of the United States, serving from 1977 to 1981, and the recipient of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize. Prior to becoming president, Carter served two terms in the Georgia Senate and as the 76th Governor of Georgia, from 1971 to 1975.

As president, Carter
More about Jimmy Carter...