Start by marking “The Virtues of Aging (Library of Contemporary Thought)” as Want to Read:
The Virtues of Aging (Library of Contemporary Thought)

The Virtues of Aging (Library of Contemporary Thought)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  17 reviews
"We are not alone in our worry about both the physical aspect of aging and the prejudice that exists toward the elderly, which is similar to racism or sexism. What makes it different is that the prejudice also exists among those of us who are either within this group or rapidly approaching it. When I have mentioned the title of this book to a few people, most of them respo ...more
Published October 13th 1998 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Virtues of Aging, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Virtues of Aging

Jonathan Mandell
Jul 12, 2007 Jonathan Mandell rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: retirees, Cartermaniacs
One of Jimmy Carter's 19 post-presidential books (so far), this short tome offers folksy, common sense advice for people who, like him, are "involuntarily forced into retirement" -- in his case, from the White House.
In one chapter, he talks about the activities he maintains -- fishing, mountain climbing, bird-watching, skiing, tennis, hunting -- and adds "I haven't yet given up at ny of the active sports of my earlier years, although I have had to cut back on some of them. Now I run three miles
Karen
Jimmy Carter describes how he and Rosalynn build a rich and full life after his "forced retirement" at 56 (when he failed to win re-election). As a young adult, he imagined a life with much fewer possibilities for himself as a 60 something, 70 something and 80 something. However, he built a life full of purpose, service, learning, devotion, and meaningful relationships with friends, family members, activists and volunteers. He also describes the rich and full lives of many people 80 plus, dispel ...more
Aja
Not a bad read, but I had a few issues. 1. You can tell it was written by a politician (count of the use of the word "citizen" alone would tell you this) 2. Kind of out dated. Felt more like an essay than anything else.
Linda
Jimmy gives solid, easy to achieve, life enhancing advice on aging. I just purchased another book on aging written by he and Roselyn.
Lewis
One you get past the platitudes and preachiness (this is Jimmy Carter), you're reminded again that, while he may have been one of our worst modern presidents, he is also one of the best human beings to have ever held the office. His mature acceptance of the viccissitudes of aging, and his ability to grow at every stage of life is pretty inspiring. I wouldn't vote for him again, but I would like to have him as a neighbor.
I pretty much like everything that I've read by Jimmy Carter. I guess I like most anything that encourages me to think positively and do good. Plus I like his voice. This particular book didn't tell me anything I didn't know but I guess that's often the case with something that is basic and rings true, no big "ah-has" just "well, of course".
Donna
This book was so positive and left me feeling good about myself and what we can all do in our senior years, life is not over if we pursue interests and help others. It was an easy read and I think I may read it every year to remind me of what's really important
Vicki
This came highly recommended, so I was hoping for a little more than what I got. It was an easy read, some helpful advice I'd like to refer to later. There are parts of it I'd like to read again in future years, as the "Aging" thing becomes more real.
Fred
Jan 15, 2008 Fred rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all adults
I have this audio book, read by the author. I listened to most of it last year in the Spring. I have great respect for this man and would love to volunteer to work in his center in Atlanta. I help out on Habitat for Humanity. He has a good mind.
Hunter Daughtrey
I read this when I was younger. I gave it to my Dad who greatly admired President Carter. I need to re-read now that I need to find some virtues in where I am.
Phwade143
I love Jimmy Carter! He is such a nice person. Too nice for politics are being the President. I enjoyed this short sweet book.
Susannecahill
From the Library of Contemporary Thought Monthly Series. Great uplifting read.
David
Read this for school, but was actually a pretty good book
Meltch1
I found this book surprizingly interesting
Linda Atkinson
Interesting but not profound. Quick read.
Linda
Aging and preparing for it.
Alex
A pleasant read
Linda
Linda is currently reading it
Dec 11, 2014
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Chris Wheeler
Chris Wheeler marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Jean Potuchek
Jean Potuchek marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. was the thirty-ninth President of the United States, serving from 1977 to 1981, and the recipient of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize. Prior to becoming president, Carter served two terms in the Georgia Senate and as the 76th Governor of Georgia, from 1971 to 1975.

As president, Carter created two new cabinet-level departments: the Department of Energy and the Department of
More about Jimmy Carter...
Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid An Hour Before Daylight: Memoirs of a Rural Boyhood A Call to Action: Women, Religion, Violence, and Power The Hornet's Nest