Start by marking “The Amethyst Heart” as Want to Read:
The Amethyst Heart

The Amethyst Heart

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  435 ratings  ·  43 reviews
When she discovers her son has designs to sell her home out from under her, Miss Amethyst-ninety-three years old and as sharp as ever-isn't about to let her legacy go. She pins her hopes on her granddaughter, Little Am, a good-natured child who has mutated in her teenage years into something else altogether. Whatever it takes, Little Am will know that the Noble family heri ...more
Published October 11th 2005 by WestBow Press (first published June 20th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Amethyst Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amethyst Heart

Brittany
At the library the other day my three year old daughter pulled this book off the shelf and brought it to me. She said it was a princess book for me to read. (The cover shows a girl in a long dress in front of a plantation house.) I decided to give it a shot even though I had no idea what it was about and was very plesantly suprised. This was a wonderful book! I was very quickly pulled in by Amethyst's story and frankly had a hard time putting it down. The characters were strong and developed con ...more
Rachel Piccorelli
I love historical fiction, and this book touches on some of the most major events in the past 100 years. Awesome read!
Debra
I absolutely loved this book. Miss Amethyst is a 93 year old woman that owns an historic antebellum home that has been in her family for generations. Her son is trying to put her in an old folks home and sell it from under her to help cover his debts he has acquired through bad choices. She will have none of it, and she ends up taking her great-granddaughter "hostage" for a couple weeks. During this time she tells the story of her family over the generations.
The characters are so well developed,
Cindi
Excellent novel filled with rich history and vivid detail. Very well developed characters which I grew to care for, deeply. There were times when I laughed out loud and others where my heart was almost breaking.

I've read a few books by this author and they all were great, but I think this is the best one, so far.

This story really helps to put value where it belongs.

I can't decide which was my favorite character because there were several that I truly enjoyed. At first, I wasn't sure about Littl
Megan
Sep 06, 2013 Megan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Megan by: Mili
It's hard to write a novel covering 100 years of racism without inserting modern political correctness in it. And when it does slip in, the result is a book that is a bit too self righteous and preachy.
There were a few interesting characters in the book, but most of the characters were very unbelievable, one-dimensional, and not particularly likable.
I did enjoy the way that the generations of one family had rather "Forrest Gump" moments of being able to be acquainted with every important politic
Stacy
I've read a couple of other books by this author before, so when I saw this one on the "bargain" shelf at my local Christian bookstore, I picked it up. I didn't really know what it was about or what to expect. You can check at Amazon and read the blurb about the book, but suffice it to say, I really really liked it! I'd probably give it 4.5 out of 5, but chose 4 stars here with their rating system.

Perhaps one reason I really enjoyed this book is that it's set in (fictional) Cambridge, Mississipp
Sally
Jul 07, 2014 Sally rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sally by: Sarah Page
Loved this book! Well written,captivating and heart-warming historical fiction about times in the south. Once I started this book I didn't want to put it down. Penelope Stokes has written other books that I plan to read since I loved this one.
Alisha
All-Time-Favorite!

Set in the 90s, an elderly woman sets out to save her home from her grandson. She ends up taking hostage her great-grand-daughter and begins to tell the story of when the house was first built by the elderly woman's great-grandfather. Jumping to the past, the story takes you through betrayal, unbreakable bonds, love that is beyond this world, and family both blood and not. The time is just before the civil war and travels through to the 90s.

I don't know how many times I have re
Abiyya
Never again come across anything like this one-of-a-kind again.
It was a beautiful story.
Lisa
This book, by Penelope J Stokes, was apparently a "Crossing Book Club" entry at one time (per the book cover). (Is Crossings Book Club still in existence??) It was a quick read, entertaining, clean and very nicely God-focused without being "preachy". The story is about 5 generations of the Noble Family as told by 93 year old Amethyst Noble Wainwright Godwin to her great-granddaucther also named Amethyst and covers in a light weight manner history from slaves and the Emancipation Proclamation thr ...more
Annette Steele
I don't know who recommended Penelope Stokes books but this was terrific.
Susan
I really enjoyed this story. The characters are well developed and the story line is rich with history spanning 140 years. Set in the deep south in Charleston, Mississipi - the story weaves it way through several generations - as being told by 93 year old Amethyst to her 17 year old great grandaughter and namesake. A story of a family's heritage - a legacy of love, courage, acceptance and deep faith through the social changes in Charleston, beginning in the year 1854 through 1993.
I liked this book, a lot. I was just disappointed that it turned out to be a romance novel. (That is not the way that it was advertised). I think that there were six weddings in the book, but there may have been more. Over all I really liked the book. The majority of the book is set in the early 1900's in the deep south. Much of the book is about the fight for racial freedom. like I said, a good book, gripping story line, but more romance than I thought was necessary.
Terri
I liked the book, but it could have been less 'preachy'. Story spans over 150 years of a family, has a lot on the Civil War, but WWII is kind of skipped over. Guess that has to be or book would be HUGE. Very sentimental, you know everything is going to turn out good. Can't believe any couple people could be so 'selfless', but that's the kind of people we all like to believe exists.

Re-read 2014, will keep to same I said before.
Jenifer
I wanted to love this book so much. It's about a strong woman whose grandparents lived in the south and fought against slavery, and then she continues their legacy by opening a boardinghouse and welcoming black borders after World War II. Though the story could have been good, I found the characters to be lacking in development, some were just plain unbelievable, and I didn't empathize with any of them.
Chris
Very well written historical fiction book abotu slavery, the civil war and equal rights. I loved how the book flashes back from present day (1993) as a great grandmother tells her great grand daughter about the importance of the home she lives in dating back to the 1800s. The book is heart touching, heart wrenching and inspiring. Very much enjoyed the story and the characters throughout.
Pink
Jan 05, 2009 Pink rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any girlfriend looking for a soul-searching, heart-warming good read
My first Penelope Stokes book. Ahhhh I loved it. I looked up Christian something or other in the library computer and Amethyst Heart came up first. I went on to read the rest of her books and haven't turned back since. Unfortunately I haven't found even one other author of Christian books that comes close, or is even readable. Fortunately she had enough to keep me occupied for a bit!!
Janice
It shows that no matter if we are old that we can't be a blessing to the younger generation and that the young people still need to be loved and this 93 great-grand did just that with her great-granddaughter. She, the grandmother, was a spunky woman all of her life and she had been dealt some hard blows but had overcome them. It has some mystery to it too.
Kristin
I listened to this as an audiobook. And I didn't know it was "inspirational" fiction, so found myself really annoyed at the preachiness that consumed way too much of the story. The actual story itself was pretty entertaining. I enjoyed the historical side of the story. It was a decent read. But it was a little long. I kept wondering when it would be over.
~steph
I was worried that this was going to be cheesy, but I actually liked it quite a bit.

Something that may turn some people off is how often religion/spirituality gets mentioned (a LOT!).

The history of the house and family, from before the Civil War, to the Civil Rights movement of the 60's, and beyond, make this book really interesting!
Desiree
I read The Blue Bottle Club and really enjoyed it, so I was excited about this one. This was a great book. It was very engaging, I didn't want to put it down. I loved that it spanned several different time periods. I really enjoyed getting to know the characters. Great book, a wonderful Christian fiction novel.
Evelyn
When her son tries to sell her ancestral home, 93-year-old Amethyst Nobel enlists the help of her great-grandaughter by reciting six generations of family history.

A good example of Christian fiction. A wonderful story of courage, conviction, and faith. A predictable, yet satisfying read. Recommend
Karen Phelps
A beautiful book. Well written. A legacy passed to the great granddaughter by stories of her ancestors and their trials to stay true and to do what is right if the face of obstacles. A wonderful book for a club. Even has a discussion guide. I loved this book and it's characters.
Chelly Annal
I absolutely love this book. The way this book has been written just makes the characters come alive and gives the reader the impression of being right at the very heart of the story. It has been at least five years since I read this book but it feels like only yesterday!
Ruth
This book intertwines from the years in 1800's to 2000. It has a mixture of romance and the discrimination of negros. I love the way it shows the Christian aspect dealing with these situations. I would read this book again. I was surprised how it just grabbed me!
Debra
I like to listen to books that aren't too taxing on the way to work so I am not distracted in traffic and this book fit the bill. The characters and story were nicely developed and easy to follow. Narration by Christine McMurdo-Wallis was outstanding.
Northern Belle Bookworm
This book was a pleasant find in my library, I pulled it off the shelf to get another one and ended like this one better! I love the story and how penelope describes it all! amethyst is a great character and I love her wit and spunkiness! a great read!
Karen
I really enjoyed many of the characters. Also, could be a great book club read. It is a love story that takes place during the time of the abolition of slavery. It is a very Christian book. It also has some fun modern chapters.I love Amethyst and Little Am!
Connie
I found this book by browsing the historical fiction, and I'm glad I gave it a try. It's a little long, but worth it. If you like southern and/or generational fiction, I recommend this book.
Tara
An easy and enjoyable read. It makes you want to be a better person and to keep a life history for your posterity. There are a few cheesy/goofy things in the book, though.
  • The Book of Hours
  • A Window to the World
  • Whispers of the Bayou
  • Wings of Refuge
  • Searching for Eternity
  • Leaving Yesterday
  • A Wedding Invitation (Heart of Carolina #4)
  • Rehoboth (Keepers of the Ring #4)
  • Swords and Scimitars (The Royal Pavilions #1)
  • A Room Of My Own
  • One More Sunrise
  • The Color of Your Skin Ain't the Color of Your Heart (Shenandoah Sisters, #3)
  • Shades of Mercy (Maine Chronicle, #1)
  • A Love Woven True (Lights of Lowell, #2)
  • Dragons of the Watch (Valley of the Dragons, #3)
It’s often been debated whether a person’s destiny lies in genetics or environment, but either way, I suppose I was destined to be a fiction writer. A Baby Boomer with an English teacher and a social worker for parents, I grew up being challenged to develop my imagination, and to seek out for myself the meaning and significance of life. I learned early both the magic and mystery of stories and the ...more
More about Penelope J. Stokes...
The Blue Bottle Club Circle of Grace Heartbreak Cafe The Memory Book The Wishing Jar