Start by marking “All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #2)” as Want to Read:
All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #2)

All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #2)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  4,770 Ratings  ·  247 Reviews
Perhaps it is a blessing when Jasmine Dent dies in her sleep. At long last an end has come to the suffering of a body horribly ravaged by disease. It may well have been suicide; she had certainly expressed her willingness to speed the inevitable. But small inconsistencies lead her neighbor, Superintendent Duncan Kincaid of Scotland Yard, to a startling conclusion: Jasmine ...more
Published August 6th 2010 by Scribner (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about All Shall Be Well, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Shall Be Well

Rosa, really

Excellent narration and I enjoyed the Britishness of it. It's the perfect thing to listen to while I'm working -- it's there, but if I'm busy with other things I don't feel like I've missed a lot of plot. Not sure if that's a great recommendation though. *shrugs*
Lynn Spencer
Feb 21, 2016 Lynn Spencer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I've had mystery novels leave me with all sorts of emotions when I reach the end - satisfaction, anger, horror and more. This is one of the rare few I found heartbreaking and melancholy. However, that being said, I'm glad I read it because it's well-written.

In many novels, the victim is just that. The victim. However, in All Shall be Well, the book is at least as much about getting to know the late Jasmine Dent as it is about figuring out who or what did her in.

We learn at the beginning that Jas
Hallie
Nov 09, 2015 Hallie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Read my write-up of A Share in Death first, for closest approximation to sense.)

Duncan's being back in London did help quite a bit, and I continued to like Gemma and root for her to be able to manage juggling what has to be one of the harder jobs for a single mother of a young child. The melody that seemed to be increasingly turning into the theme song - "All the Ladies Love Duncan" - was at least a bit muted by the interesting murder victim, and the way it took a while for her death to be reco
LJ
ALL SHELL BE WELL – G+
Deborah Crombie – 2nd in series
Supr. Duncan Kincaid’s neighbor, Jasmine Dent, is found dead. She was terminally ill and had talked about suicide—but was it?

I hate to admit this is the first time I’ve read Crombie, but it won’t be the last. I very much enjoyed this British police procedural which focuses on solving the crime. This was neither dark nor gritty, which is my usual fare, but well-plotted, excellent characters and thoroughly enjoyable.
Susan
May 23, 2014 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This series improves a lot later. Great sense of character and place in this one, but the plot is weak. Gets resolved out of the blue in the last chapter.
Matt Schiariti
Nov 19, 2012 Matt Schiariti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After giving A Share In Death a shot based on my Amazon recommendations (although for the life if me, I can't figure out what happened to my review!!!) I became a near instant fan of the Kinkaid/James novels. All Shall Be Well leaves me confident that A Share In Death wasn't just a happy accident that turned into a fun and entertaining whodunnit.

In All Shall Be Well, a reclusive yet friendly neighbor of Duncan's suddenly dies in her sleep one night. Jasmine had been diagnosed with cancer and her
Three & a half stars again. Entertaining and enjoyable crime mystery: Superintendent Kincaid's neighbor has died - was it suicide or murder? Nice, ordinary, realistic people and an easy read. I like Deborah Crombie's style of writing, and the story doesn't jump around. I think I'm becoming a fan of Kincaid & James.
Sherry Ramsey
Oct 11, 2015 Sherry Ramsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
This is the second book in this new-to-me series, and every bit as enjoyable as the first. I read it almost as quickly as I listen to audiobooks! The mystery was satisfying, but it is the characters that really make these books for me. I'll be looking for #3 very soon.
ElaineY
A bore, taking too long to engage me. More typical of cozy murder mysteries, I suppose, but the series has consistently good ratings so I'll try another. 2 stars for what little I listened to.
Joanne
Jan 18, 2017 Joanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An OK mystery. An odd author obsession with the physical characteristics of women.
Kathleen Hagen
All Shall be Well, by Deborah Crombie, a-minus, borrowed from Library Services for the Blind

This is the second book in the Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James mysteries, the first book which I read earlier, was “A Share in Death.” Kincaid is district superintendent, and Gemma is a sergeant. They work together at Scotland Yard but are not yet an item as they are in later books. In this one, Duncan comes home to find that a woman who lived in the apartment right below his was dead. Jasmine was very ill
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
This series by Deborah Crombie is another recommendation I had from Goodreads and yet again, I am delighted with this one. Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James are investigating the death of Duncans neighbour, Jasamine Dent, a lady who is terminally ill and dies suddenly in her sleep. Duncan finds out from Jasamines friend, Meg, that Jasamine had asked her to assist her in taking an overdose of Morphine, but changed her find about going through with it. Duncan orders a postmortem and finds a lethal do ...more
Christina
Feb 11, 2015 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Superintendent Kincaid's neighbor has died. She had terminal cancer and did not have long to live. So who would have murdered her? At first, it looked like suicide, but things don't add up for Kincaid- there was no note and the neighbor had arranged to visit her brother that weekend. Suspicious, Kincaid orders the English version of an autopsy and so begins the mystery.

Crombie knows how to write characters. Kincaid stumbles across the victim's diary and we are treated to a rich backstory. The s
Lynn
Jun 12, 2015 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All Shall be Well is the 2nd book in the Kincaid/James series. A terminally ill neighbor of Duncan who he has struck up a friendship with died sooner than expected. An acquaintance of the deceased makes the comment that she was asked to assist in a suicide. She was told by the victim that she had changed her mind. All this and some things that Duncan noticed does not set well with him. He calls for a postmortem to find the cause of death

I enjoyed going along with Duncan and Gemma on their invest
MadProfessah
Nov 20, 2016 MadProfessah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
I like the chemistry between Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James (it's pretty obvious where that is going to lead even though this is just Book 2 in a series that is well over s dozen entries by now).

The mystery itself is somewhat Ho-hum, but Crombie does an excellent job of casting enough suspicion and doubt on the various characters that I was unable to suss out who dun it.

I'll definitely read other books in this series but it won't be a priority. They are perfectly acceptable "fall back" books.
Pat C.
Oct 12, 2014 Pat C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book but I HATED the ending. It rubbed me the wrong way for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the reinforcement of the common yet erroneous belief that the mentally ill are more violent than the rest of the population.
This is the second book of the series. I've read books later in the series and I think she gets a lot better at satisfying endings - which are defined by me as the jerks getting some comeuppance and the innocent getting at least poetic justice and somet
Patricia
Sep 06, 2013 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Deborah's second book in her series of English mysteries with Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James. I enjoyed seeing the detectives in their hometown settings for the first time, and I loved to watch their relationships unravel. Once again, there was a surprise ending that I could not foresee! This book is definitely worth reading, but I am not giving it five stars because it is not quite as good as A Share in Death and Water Like a Stone. Close, but not quite!
Kyrie
Jul 31, 2013 Kyrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This series is really well written.

I love the ways she makes the characters come alive. They all have motives and all have reasons they're not guilty. It's not cut and dried, and I like that.

In particular, I like how this takes on the right to die and the laws against it, as well as how certain groups have learned to look the other way.

Beth
Jul 11, 2016 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't find the mystery in this one quite as compelling as in the first book, but the writing felt a bit more polished. Got a bit more of Gemma this time around and I find her interesting, so will keep at it for at least a few more in the series.
Claude
Apr 02, 2015 Claude rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series and am looking forward to reading more about Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James. I found #2 even better than #1.
Pauline Barlow
In this the 2nd in the series Crombie weaves characters, emotion, plot, and setting. I'm hoping Superintendent Kincaid and his sergeant, Gemma will work well together. However, I'm surprised she takes his caustic comments without answering back.
Crombie has, while presenting a good mystery, made one think about mercy killing or assisted suicide. Kincaid's next door neighbor, the elderly Jasmine Dent was born in India and now suffered from terminal lung cancer seems to have died in her sleep. At f
Janet Mahlum
Jan 19, 2017 Janet Mahlum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started this book, I thought it was okay, nothing great, and wasn't sure if I would read any more Gemma/Duncan books. But as I got more into it, I was enthralled. I've read several mysteries with Hampstead Heath in them so went on-line and found a lovely album of pictures. I also looked up the Hampstead Police Station and found several lovely pictures of that. I want to "go to" Dorset next and see what pictures I can find from there. Oh, the mystery....I don't know why I didn't guess the ...more
Tyler
Jan 05, 2017 Tyler rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, this is quite tedious and a chore to get though though short. The detectives seemed much to psychic in reading people and other witness interviews were just plain sappy. The actual murder still makes little sense. It could've gone so much worse for the victim. Did all the pages and pages of Jasmine's backstory ever lead to any point? Nothing about this was good. Skip it. I know there are other good books in this series.
Anita
Great entry in the Duncan Kincaid/ Gemma James series. Duncan's downstairs neighbor has been found dead. She was dying of cancer- it would not be strange to think that she ended her pain and misery...but Duncan thinks someone killed her. Is he too close to this case? Blinded by his personal feelings? He and Gemma hit many walls in this investigation
Teresa Kendall
Another good mystery in the Duncan Kincaid/ Gemma James series. Very enjoyable and it really had me guessing as to "whodunit." Ending was a surprise. Plan to work my way through this entire series. I also believe these books would make for a great BBC mystery tv series.
Terri Lynn
The second book in Deborah Crombie's series about Scotland Yard's Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Sergeant Gemma James is even better than the first book!

This book is better to me than the first because we learn even more about what makes both Duncan and Gemma tick.

It begins when Duncan's 49 year old neighbor, lung cancer victim, Jasmine Dent, is found dead by Duncan and a visiting nurse he helps pick the lock for when Jasmine fails to open the door. At first, it might be easily wri
Leslie
Jan 12, 2017 Leslie rated it really liked it
Liked it better than the first. Great audio!
Joan
Jan 16, 2017 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"All Shall Be Well" was a good read and interesting second book in the series. Good, solid plot build up.
Liz Krummell
Jan 10, 2017 Liz Krummell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book and it is again not a Scotland Yard murder. I liked the exploration of additional characters and just that something was not right with his neighbor's passing. Maybe the brother will have found his spot going forward - nice way to end. So I will continue to read!
Kathy
Mar 10, 2013 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, strong-women
Play Book Tag: All Shall be Well, Deborah Crombie. 4 Stars 4 11 Mar 31, 2016 11:26AM
  • A Long Shadow (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #8)
  • The Dirty Duck (Richard Jury, #4)
  • The Chalon Heads (Brock & Kolla, #4)
  • To Darkness and to Death (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #4)
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • Payment in Blood (Inspector Lynley, #2)
  • Blue Lightning (Shetland Island, #4)
  • The Shadows in the Street (Simon Serrailler, #5)
  • An April Shroud (Dalziel & Pascoe, #4)
  • Past Reason Hated (Inspector Banks, #5)
  • Bloodhounds (Peter Diamond, #4)
Deborah Crombie is the author of 15 novels featuring Scotland Yard Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Detective Inspector Gemma James. The 16th Kincaid/James novel, To Dwell in Darkness, will be released by William Morrow in September, 2014.

Crombie lives in McKinney, Texas with her husband, two German Shepherd Dogs, and two cats. She travels to Britain frequently to research her books.
More about Deborah Crombie...

Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1)
  • Leave the Grave Green (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #3)
  • Mourn Not Your Dead (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #4)
  • Dreaming of the Bones (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #5)
  • Kissed a Sad Goodbye (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #6)
  • A Finer End (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #7)
  • And Justice There Is None (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #8)
  • Now May You Weep (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #9)
  • In a Dark House (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #10)
  • Water Like a Stone (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #11)

“A lifetime’s accumulation, she thought, of a woman who had cared about things—things loved for their color and texture and their associations rather than their material value.” 0 likes