Syntactic Structures (Janua Linguarum, #4)

Syntactic Structures (Janua Linguarum, #4)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  23 reviews
JANUA LINGUARUM
Published 1957 by Moulton & Co.

Oscar
A difficult book to review... On the one hand I admire Chomsky's ability to think out of the box in a period (the fifties... long time ago already!) where the rest of linguistics was perhaps staying in that same box a bit too much. He looks at the description of language in a fresh new way which offers all scholars of language food for thought.

Nevertheless, as a modern linguist, I can't help but see this book as 'the one that started it all', by which I mean many decades of linguistics based on...more
Keely
Feb 25, 2013 Keely marked it as to-avoid  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I've never read a work of Chomsky's that was well-thought-out and methodologically sound. From his political writings to his linguistic concepts, he seems to favor grand, unsubstantiated ideas. I have written a fuller account of my disappointing experiences with Chomsky's work here.
Jon
Thrilling. I have no formal background in linguistics and so was completely unable to situate _Syntactic Structures_ in its proper historical or argumentative context, but I found it lucid, engaging, and completely convincing.
Jared
the linguistic revolution begins... until he changes his mind ... and then it begins again!!! ... until he changes his mind ... an- well, we'll get there eventually. these things take time.
Valissa
"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously"
Dylan Muckerman
i don't know a lot about linguistics but it seems like chomsky has done a pretty good job of explicating not just a way in which grammatical sentences can be constructed, but the way in which the grammar of sentences is naturally understood. obviously only scratched the surface, but was easy to understand/full of examples. good introduction to his basic idea of generative grammar or w/e
Hudi
Buku ini mengkritik tentang tata bahasa yang terbatas yang dikembangkan oleh para linguist Amerika jamannya Bloomfield karena dianggap tidak memadai dalam menjelaskan keterbatasan bahasa manusia. Chomsky menawarkan generative grammar yang kemudian menjadi aliran tersendiri dalam linguistik. Buku ini merupakan karya revolusioner Chomsky yang dapat mengubah pandangan mengenai bahasa.
Zach
this works well as a streamlined introduction to a fairly complicated idea. a lot is left out purposefully, and the jargon-heavy sections can be a tough slog to someone who's not very well-versed in basic linguistic theory/vocabulary (prepare to do a lot of backtracking, too). but the main ideas become much more clear and salient as his argument progresses.
Misnomer
Mar 31, 2007 Misnomer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who has a brain (that means you know linguistics and use who instead of that)
As a student, teacher and growing scholar of the English language, this book was vital to my progress. Chomsky thinks inventively, as well as intuitively, about the nature of language and its relationship with generative grammar. The man continues to impress me considerably.
Anie
The book where it all began. It's a (relatively) clearly written book, and very useful in reviewing higher concepts about what we do when we work in transformational grammar. The chapter on syntax and semantics is especially lovely---that one gets 5 stars.
Michael
I found this book surprisingly relevant, after all this time, to current debate in linguistics, and also surprisingly accessible (likely even to non-linguists). This probably says more about my expectations than about the book itself, however.
Zam Sian
I envy his deftness in making use of so simple words to convey so much meaning. The style and structures of writing are unique and appreciated by many. Excellent book for learners of linguistics.
Nidaa Fahmi
The book is very beneficial,profitable and helpful for all researchers in the field of syntax and parsing. I consider Chomsky as a father of all recent linguists.
David
The seminal book in the development of Chomsky's "generative grammar," a major influence in modern linguistics.

Not for the faint of heart.
Alexis
I'm glad I read it, and I'm glad it's over. ;) You can see my review here.
Heng
It's a headache to create infinite sentences by finite syntax. Mystery.
Taylor Bolinger
Oct 13, 2010 Taylor Bolinger is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't finished it yet, but I think I see where he's going with it.
Lucas
A dense monograph, to say the least.
Maureen
Not for the novice (e.g. me)
Jimmy
I totally didn't read this.
Riana Subarjo
I like it
Jonathan Chuang
Jonathan Chuang marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Tibike Miklós
Tibike Miklós marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Mukda
Mukda marked it as to-read
Lina
Lina marked it as to-read
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
  • Course in General Linguistics
  • Contemporary Linguistics: An Introduction
  • The Paranoid Style in American Politics and Other Essays
  • Semiotics and the Philosophy of Language
  • The Nature and Destiny of Man Vol 1 & 2
  • Carry Me Home: Birmingham, Alabama: The Climactic Battle of the Civil Rights Revolution
  • Metaphors We Live By
  • The Sweet Science
  • The Study of Language
  • God and Man at Yale: The Superstitions of 'Academic Freedom'
  • The Other America: Poverty in the United States
  • Syntax: A Generative Introduction
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H...more
More about Noam Chomsky...
Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance Understanding Power: The Indispensable Chomsky Failed States: The Abuse of Power and the Assault on Democracy Profit Over People: Neoliberalism and Global Order