Start by marking “The Return: Book IV of Voyagers” as Want to Read:
The Return: Book IV of Voyagers

The Return: Book IV of Voyagers (Voyagers #4)

In the 1980s, an alien starship visited Earth. While investigating what appeared to be a sarcophagus bearing the preserved body of its builder, astronaut Keith Stoner was trapped and cryogenically frozen. After his body was eventually returned to Earth and revived, Stoner discovered that he had acquired alien powers. Using these new powers, he built a new starship and left ...more
Published August 3rd 2010 by Tor Books (first published August 4th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Return, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Return

John Loyd
Apr 08, 2015 John Loyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Return, Book IV of Voyagers (2009) 418 pages by Ben Bova.

Keith Stoner and his family return from the stars to find a dystopic Earth. The Americas are run by the New Morality, a sort of Big Brother entity with a more religious overtone. Chinese and Iranian superpowers have their own form of totalitarian societies. The planet is becoming overpopulated. Resources from space are only delaying the inevitable. The three superpowers are all arming for nuclear war, with only the threat of mutual ass
Todd
Apr 24, 2016 Todd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot device Bova uses to bring this future Earth more in line with current trends than the Earth of the first books (all written long ago in a different time) is interesting, but the explanation and rationale of it is half-hearted at best. Not to mention that it would provide a serious hindrance to space travel if it were true - (view spoiler) ...more
Phil Giunta
Star traveler Keith Stoner and his family return to Earth in the ancient alien ship that once held Stoner in cryonic freeze decades before. When he rejoined the human race the first time, the technology of the alien ship had ushered in a new age of enlightenment for the human race. Now, however, no trace of Stoner's previous visit to his home planet can be found and not one of the technological advancements--"gifts from the stars"--is evident. Instead, Stoner finds an alternate Earth, one contro ...more
George
Jan 02, 2016 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
Great Book. Bova concluded this series and tied it into his Grand Tour series. We met several familiar folks from the series. The book also managed to include many current issues--population control, nuclear weapons proliferation, religious freedom and dictatorship to name a few. I'd imagine that those are Bova's hot buttons. Although the book dragged a little in the middle, I got to the conclusion knowing that our hero would save the day. That finishes all the books of the Grand Tour for me.
Michael O'Morah
Feb 09, 2016 Michael O'Morah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Ben Bova is no 6-Time Hugo Award Winner by accident, he's Edited Analog and Omni Magazines. Like Einstein working at the Copyright Office, couldn't help but absorb, by Osmosis, everything that came across his desk! Once again Ben Bova, through his 4-Volume Epic of Science Fiction helps us recognize Humanity's petty grasping for Power and Greed and how our Xenophobia keeps Humanity from reaching our full Potential and taking the next step in our Evolution. A great Read!
Kae Cheatham
Well, I really tried. Really, I did. Bova is a well-respected SF author, and I've read (completed and liked) other of his books, but in the end could not finish this book. I made it to page 324 (of 464 pages), and couldn't get any further.

Problems:
1. Grossly over written, with information told again and again, sometimes within a paragraph.
2. While I don't have to like characters, I want to empathize and care about them. This didn't happen, and there were many characters to chose from. I don't
Beverly
Sep 15, 2010 Beverly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dennis
Oct 17, 2014 Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A family of star travelers return to Earth with Alien technology and attempt to save mankind suffering from climate change, religious wars, over population, and greed. America is ruled by a group of religious nuts who intend to rule the world.
Jesse Weaver
This might be a four-star book except for the fact that Ben Bova could have done so much better. The characters are interesting and unique but poorly handled. The dialogue and plot are clumsily handled and dully predictable. I found myself skimming the last part of the book to avoid the clichéd savior-shows-us-the-way ending. The material Bova had to work with was excellent; powerful human comes to show world plagued by theocracy and hardship a better way. In The Return, however, he dropped rhe ...more
Kathleen
Aug 14, 2009 Kathleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book will probably get glowing reviews because fans love Ben Bova. But I was just not moved by this story. The blurbs on the back of the book praise the author for "plausibility of detail" and "combining science with attention-grabbing plots". Ummm. I don't see it. There WAS no science in this book, at least not that I could find. The man who returns from voyaging among the stars with super-human abilities - he can read minds, manipulate people's bodies, turn off electronic devices at will, ...more
Kerry
Mar 10, 2015 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I shouldn't have started with boo IV of the series. It was ok, breezy, easy to read. Just left me feeling ok not great.
Heidi
Oct 22, 2009 Heidi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Return was a somewhat fun read, but I found it to be very condescending in tone. The author oversimplified many issues facing the global community today. The characters also lack the depth to engage the audience. The author briefly delves into their backgrounds and psyches, but not enough to make the reader really care what happens to them.

I hated the fact that The Return declared religion the reason for all the evils in the world. Any group of individuals is prone to corruption, not just re
Magic Mary Austin
Mar 19, 2014 Magic Mary Austin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first and last by this author. This was a big yawner and I gave up after about a hundred pages.
Tom Gorski
Good story although for me the gold standard for science fiction dealing with humanity's inevitable march to self destruction is Walter Miller's "A Canticle for Liebowitz". In some ways the variety of characters here are a bit stereotypical and somewhat cardboard cutouts but, as I say, I enjoyed the read.
Rob Roy
Jan 23, 2014 Rob Roy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Of the four Voyagers books, this is by far the best. Bova may well realize that age is catching up with him, and in this book ties up a number of loose ends. The story is trite in places, but it asks questions that mankind must resolve to continue the race. It also paints a stark portrait of what could happen to America should we become a theocracy. If you have only read the first three in the series, but not his Grand Tour books, read those first, then read The Return.
Hideo
Apr 17, 2015 Hideo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part IV pulls together an intriguing and entertaining sequence to the Voyagers series.
David
Dec 12, 2009 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not up to Ben Bova's usual standard. I feel as if he needed to complete the sequence, so he did but without a lot of imagination. The book is pedantic and predictable. However, even a mediocre Ben Bova book is still worth reading if you like hard science fiction.
Andy
Jul 12, 2012 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding. I love the way Bova concluded this series and actually tied it into his Grand Tour novels. This book also managed to interweave a lot of current political issues and problems currently occurring on our world. Just fantastic and easy to read.
Mark Baller
Jul 15, 2015 Mark Baller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Great end to the series recommended reading
J.D. Heskin
Nov 15, 2012 J.D. Heskin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit too preachy and antitheistic, but an interesting story. Hopefully it won't be the start of a whole series of parallel universe story lines, which has been overdone in sci-fi in every media type already.
Nancy/girlsinthestacks.com
Sci-fi about a man who returns from outerspace with his wife and children to an Earth of a different reality - and he has a mission and a message to save humanity. A so-so book.
Anca
Feb 08, 2012 Anca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Loved it. Bova never fails to deliver a great storyline and believable plot & characters. It makes me wish I were born about 100 year later :)
Daniel Hamad
This would have been better had he not tried to merge it into the Grand Tour universe.
Thomas L Edwards
Thomas L Edwards rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Paul Dietzen
Paul Dietzen marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Ken
Ken rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Wcf
Wcf marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Jdeno
Jdeno rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
  • Eater
  • Mirage (Isaac Asimov's Robot Mystery, #1)
  • The Bradbury Report
  • Identity Theft and Other Stories
  • John Carter: The Movie Novelization: Also Includes: A Princess of Mars
  • Escape From Kathmandu
  • Voyage (NASA Trilogy, #1)
  • Norby Through Time and Space (Norby, #5-6)
  • Drift
  • Children of the Thunder
  • Land's End
  • Three By Heinlein: The Puppet Masters (Original 1951 Version), Waldo, and Magic, Inc
  • Picoverse
  • Shakespeare Stories
  • When Duty Calls (Legion, #8)
  • The Unincorporated War
  • Mars Crossing
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo
More about Ben Bova...

Voyagers (4 books)
  • Voyagers (Voyagers, #1)
  • Voyagers II: The Alien Within
  • Voyagers III: Star Brothers (Voyagers, #3)

“A fanatic who is willing to die for his cause thinks nothing of killing you for his cause.” 16 likes