Start by marking “The Hope Within (Heirs of Montana, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Hope Within (Heirs of Montana, #4)

The Hope Within (Heirs of Montana #4)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  1,237 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
1886 ~ Montana stands on the brink of statehood, and Dianne Selby finds her world turned upside down. Cole takes her and the children to Kansas to care for his dying father, but after the funeral, Colebs mother insists he stay and take over his inheritance. Unable to deal with her mother-in-law's cruel treatment, Dianne takes the children back to Montana alone. There, bliz ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 512 pages
Published March 1st 2005 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Hope Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hope Within

Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'ConnellNo Greater Glory by Cindy NordDancing on Coals by Ellen O'ConnellSing My Name by Ellen O'ConnellIntimate Strangers by Gem Sivad
Best Western/Civil War Romance
65th out of 111 books — 124 voters
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Crown and the Crucible by Michael R. PhillipsA House Divided by Michael R. PhillipsTravail and Triumph by Michael R. PhillipsHeirs of the Motherland by Judith Pella
Best Christian Fiction Series
30th out of 30 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Olivia
Thus the series comes to an end (Sunday afternoons are a perfect time to finish a book!). Everyone has gotten so old! I will admit that the last book was a little hard to get into...I think because there were so many people to keep track of and so many things going on.

In this one Dianne and Cole are having trouble in their marriage. At first it got a little annoying (them not communicating like they should), but it was realistic and everything got settled in the end. (view spoiler)
Crystal
Feb 27, 2016 Crystal rated it it was amazing
great book! so many twists in this plot. this series dealt with so many changes. The war between the states, the Indian wars, statehood, Teddy Roosevelt, love, loss, faith and most of all hope. I highly recommend.
Rebekah Tooley
Dec 05, 2015 Rebekah Tooley rated it really liked it
This book was really good! Cole and Dianne have been drifting farther and farther away from each other over the years, but this book shows the worse part of there relationship. They are on the brink of divorce, Mary Selby lies and deceives Cole, and Dianne miscarries.

This book was especially sad because by this point in the series, you feel like one of the family. I cried a few times with Dianne. (I'm a sympathy crier)

Overall, this book was extremely heartwarming and shows that no matter what,
Kathryn
Oct 16, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Julie
Mar 02, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
I listened to this on audio book from the library. The cover did not indicate that it was part of a series. That's annoying.

The book was very well written, the storylines were interesting. I found myself very angry at the characters in one of the storylines, enough so that I'd recommend to others not to read this book during periods of high stress.
Carman
Feb 11, 2016 Carman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cried so hard! It was really good. I did not like how things ended with George, though. I wished he would have found someone special. I was so angry with Cole, I wanted to hurt him. But, Peterson did a wonderful job of redeeming him. All in all, I think it is a wonderful ending to the Heirs of Montana series.
Mom
Jun 19, 2013 Mom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
The first half of the book was a little boring - so much bitterness and anger. But after about half of the book, I started seeing the good "life lessons" you could learn from what the author was writing about. George teaches Jamie about being "honorable". Forgiveness is a big theme. Life is not always easy and sometimes we hurt the ones that our closest to us the most. You find true love in the family and friends around you - not the material things you have, even your home. If you are with the ...more
Margaret Fraleigh
Dec 26, 2015 Margaret Fraleigh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tracie-peterson
This is the final book in this series - and a great series it was.

Loved the characters and the story line all thought the four books.

Loved the history woven throughout the four books.

Great lessons on faith, love, and hope.
Lorraine Bartlett-Sung
Kept me interested til the end

Diane is a strong stubborn southerner who kept her film first as she struggled with her independent free thinking and loving her husband. I wish there was. Perhaps a wife for Morgan, Trentons freedom, Suzannahs contribution to society and Jamie becoming the legal owner of the Diamond V
Heather
Jan 20, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
I know that these had to end sometime. I haven't read a series that grabbed me as this one did in quite a few books. I recommend this series to anyone and especially to those who like christian fiction.
Judith Yeabsley
Sep 07, 2015 Judith Yeabsley rated it liked it
It was an OK read but
didn't realise it was a religiously slanted book. Not necessarily a problem but it went into overdrive in the last quarter of the book and to me detracted from the story.
Sandra Solum
Feb 20, 2015 Sandra Solum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series

I enjoyed each book. They were all spellbinding. I couldn't put them down. Characters were very realistic and VERY much family. Faith oriented stories.. Loved it
Margie
Apr 03, 2015 Margie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good still reading on these ones but are marvelous

The books are marvelous love the country. And tall men and the Indians would love to go there someday yesireeee
Debby Baumgartner
When Cole's father dies, he takes Dianne and the children to Kansas for the funeral. However his mother wants him to stay and forget his wife and children. Will Dianne ever return to her ranch in Montana?
Mary Parrish
Dec 10, 2015 Mary Parrish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I have enjoyed the four" Heirs of Montana " books. I could hardly wait for more excitement.

Thanks for the series.
Joanie Standridge
Jan 23, 2014 Joanie Standridge rated it really liked it
Finally finished this series. The author wrapped this story line up nicely with some nicely interwoven hints of various continuing life circumstances. Wonder if the bad guy sorry line could've ended a bit more dramatically. Several of the characters are charmingly memorable. I think I might look into this author's Alaskan series...
Sandy
Dec 22, 2015 Sandy rated it it was amazing
I liked the books, however, I felt the main character was not very understanding and rather selfish. Especially in the last book.
Gail Redmond
Aug 29, 2016 Gail Redmond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read

All 4 of this series was outstanding. .I couldn't get the next one fast enough. A total joy to read.
Nikki
May 19, 2007 Nikki rated it liked it
1886 Montana stands on the brink of statehood, and Dianne Selby finds her world turned upside down. Cole takes her and the children to Kansas to care for his dying father, but after the funeral, Cole's mother insists he stay and take over his inheritance. Unable to deal with her mother-in-law's cruel treatment, Dianne takes the children back to Montana alone. There, blizzards devastate the area, trapping a now pregnant Dianne at the ranch. Through the twists and turns of life and nature, Dianne ...more
Pat Morris
Sep 21, 2015 Pat Morris rated it it was amazing
Continuing the story of the Selby family and their life on a ranch in Montana. Last of the Heirs of Montana series.
Elizabeth
While this one had less drama than the last in the series, it definitely still had quite a bit. I did like that things seemed to get wrapped up nicely at the end.
Alysha
Jun 10, 2016 Alysha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nicely done

I continue to enjoy the series. Love triumphant all. I love stories of taming the wild and this series is just that.
Linda
May 30, 2015 Linda rated it liked it
This was a great series. Loved all 4 books.
Jen
Apr 12, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
in some ways the best of the series
Krista Jensen
Apr 12, 2015 Krista Jensen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I'm sad to see this series end! I've enjoyed it so much. but I love how everything works out in the end.
The only thing I feel was left undone was Trenton's fate. Otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed the whole series.
Barbara
Nov 02, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book with such hope and promise IF we trust God with our lives. Very uplifting and I enjoyed learning more about God and His love throughout the pages of this book!
Trudy E
Nov 21, 2013 Trudy E rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this series and felt it wrapped up nicely. So much more realistic that ALL conflicts are not resolved, and that regardless of their best features, the characters are flawed enough to make them believable as well as likable. Thank you, Ms. Peterson, for reminding us of the beauty of Montana and the strength and perseverance of those native Americans and pioneers who first made it their home.
Mary
Oct 06, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
Well written historical novel that adds a bit of mystery as well as the angst and agony of decisions the characters make. Found story particularly since the focus is on a family from Rochester, New York and take trips to the St. Lawrence River and vacation on one of the islands (1000 Islands). Can't wait to read book 3 of this series!
Andrea
Oct 20, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it
Overall I thought this was a good series, but it did drag in places.

This fourth book had a lot of emotion. The feelings depicted between the main character and her mother in law and sisters in law were pretty intense.

I'll admit I kept expecting Cole to be out of the picture. George pretty much got the shaft.
Sue Klasing
Great series, lots of action and character development.
  • Unbridled Dreams
  • Remembered (Fountain Creek Chronicles, #3)
  • Opal (Dakotah Treasures, #3)
  • The Maverick (Men of the Saddle #3)
  • A Hope Beyond (Ribbons of Steel, #2)
  • Just Above a Whisper (Tucker Mills, #2)
  • One More Sunrise
  • Wings of Morning (These Highland Hills, #2)
  • When Tomorrow Comes (Canadian West #6)
  • A Promise for Spring (Heart of the Prairie #3)
  • Sweet Boundless (The Diamond of the Rockies #2)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...

Heirs of Montana (4 books)
  • Land of My Heart (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • The Coming Storm (Heirs of Montana, #2)
  • To Dream Anew (Heirs of Montana, #3)