Start by marking “The Texan's Dream (McClain Series #5)” as Want to Read:
The Texan's Dream (McClain Series #5)

The Texan's Dream (McLain #5)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  558 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Nineteenth-century Texas was alive with lovers and scoundrels, drifters and dreamers. It was a land brimming with wild, glorious passions—passions USA Today bestselling author Jodi Thomas tenderly evokes in this exquisite new novel…

Fleeing trouble in Pittsburgh, young Kara O’Riley has no choice but to travel as far West as her meager funds will take her. And when she hires
Published November 1st 2001 by Penguin Group US

To ask other readers questions about The Texan's Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Texan's Dream

Tabitha (Lovely Books Blog)
The romance felt a little forced at times and the end was a little on the cheesy side, but overall a great story. I loved Kara and her strong spirit and Jonathan was absolutely perfect for her.
Kathleen
A frustrating read, and often boring. An Irish gal, Karina O'Reilly, shortened to Kara, kept blowing hot and cold on Jonathan Catlin, her boss. Meanwhile, he blew hot and cold right back! Several silly squabbles. In the end, I simply didn't care about their relationship.

Jonathan was initially portrayed as a cold, hard, killer with no friends, no love, etc. But in reality, the author completely countered her initial portrayal. Jonathan was kind and loyal, with a loving sister and several very goo
Shirlene
In Pittsburg, Pennsylvania...
Charlie O'Riley told his daughter, Karina Page O'Riley, to not try to contact him for one year. He shoved her on a train and she left behind a town where at least two houses were burning. She left without talking to Devin, O'Toole, the man she was supposed to marry. Her father told Karina that Devin knew she was leaving and he would see her in a year. Charlie told Karina that she needed to leave so that maybe they both could stay alive. She needed to get off the trai
Linda
May 01, 2014 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read quite a few of Jodi Thomas' books and have loved every one of them. This book is the fifth in a series that I really enjoyed but this book did not stand up to her high standards. The storyline was good but it seemed that it jumped around a lot, fast in one point or slower in another. Still would recommend it as the fifth of this series.
Kay Cochran
Jul 01, 2015 Kay Cochran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and engaging love story, right from the get-go. Spunky, fast-paced, never a dull moment--and allows for an array of character development. Loved it, would definitely recommend the McLain series to any romance reader.
Diah Didi
Sep 17, 2011 Diah Didi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, series, own, 2011
Since I loved Wife Lottery series, I kinda had a big expectations reading this. I bought this used book without knowing it's the last series.
But somehow it's not that great. I did love the story, the relationship between Kara and Jonathan, along with his people in Caitlin's Ranch. Especially how Jonathan's guards acted around and toward Kara. But I was hoping there would be conflict involving Kara and Quil, Jonathan's Indian used-to-be best friend since Kara once acted she's saving his son when
Krissie
Dec 27, 2014 Krissie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Zakia
Feb 10, 2015 Zakia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best in the series but still okay. Not much action though.
Jacqueline Sinard
Apr 21, 2012 Jacqueline Sinard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Loved this book. The characters were well thought out and several times I found myself chuckling quitely as I read it. I mean who wouldn't laugh at an anrgy irish woman throwing food at the man who just unknowingly insulted her. Jonathon had it coming he just didn't know it. But as much as the book is funny, it is also sweet. After he realized that he had hurt her feelings, he apologized and used the sweetest words.

Would definitely recommend this book.
Missy Jane
Apr 14, 2013 Missy Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great historical romance from one of my favorite authors. Here we have the story of a young Irish woman, Kara, and a Texas rancher, Jonathan. This very unlikely couple doesn't even like each other when they first meet, but in true romantic fashion JT shows how they are more perfectly matched than they ever imagined. Great romantic read.
Debbie Turner
Jun 12, 2014 Debbie Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book also. There are 5 books in The Mclain Series and I loved them all. I had never read a Jodi Thomas book but I think she is a very good author and I am looking forward to reading more of her books.
Maura
Aug 04, 2012 Maura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Heroine has to leave Pittsburg because of Union clashes and her Irish family. She takes job in Texas on a ranch and falls in love with hero. First time I have read ths author and I just couldn't get into the story.
Dobby0390
I was sorry to see this series end, but I liked the way Jodi Thomas wrapped up all the stories.
Hafiza
Aug 29, 2012 Hafiza rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute
Mindless way to pass the time, with an Ok romance novel.
Skimmed at times.
Rose
Feb 02, 2011 Rose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Light, funny read. A book to read to pass the time.
Marcella
Mar 17, 2012 Marcella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story and the characters
Tisha
Jun 19, 2008 Tisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GETS BETTER EAXC TIME- I LOVE HER BOOKS
JEAN
JEAN marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Roseanne Boutz
Roseanne Boutz rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Martha J Thoman
Martha J Thoman rated it really liked it
Halfbren
Halfbren rated it really liked it
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Ama
Ama rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Bruce McKay
Bruce McKay rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Yuvadee Patchon
Yuvadee Patchon marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Andie
Andie rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Kavitha
Kavitha rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
  • Open Country (Blood Rose, #2)
  • A Rogue in Texas (Rogues in Texas, #1)
  • Mountain Wild (Wild, #3)
  • Caroline and the Raider (Orphan Train, #3)
  • Audrey and the Maverick (Men of Defiance, #2)
  • Jake (The Cowboys, #1)
  • A Convenient Wife (Montana Mavericks: The Historicals)
  • I Do, I Do, I Do
20273
I'm a New York Times and USA Today Best Selling author, wife, mother, in-law, grandmother, sister, friend, and owner of one fat cat.
More about Jodi Thomas...

McLain (5 books)
  • The Texan's Touch (McLain, #1)
  • To Kiss a Texan (McLain, #2)
  • To Wed in Texas (McLain #3)
  • Twilight in Texas (McLain #4)