Start by marking “Making the Run” as Want to Read:
Making the Run

Making the Run

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  21 reviews
All her life Lulu McClellan has heard the names. Growing up in a small Kentucky town, Lu has forever felt like she's on the outside looking in. Maybe that's why she takes pictures - to make sense of what she sees and feels but doesn't always understand.

Now that graduation is almost here, Lu and her friend Ginny are moving in a quick blur of drugs and drink. Lu thinks she's
Paperback
Published June 3rd 2003 by Harper Teen (first published May 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Making the Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making the Run

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespearePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHamlet by William ShakespeareThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Books You Have To Read Before You Die
80th out of 97 books — 45 voters
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrTwilight by Stephenie MeyerTorment by Lauren Kate
Judge Books By Their Covers
494th out of 810 books — 762 voters

More lists with this book...

Paloma
May 07, 2009 Paloma added it
ihsafipafissg.
There's this girl and she smokes a lot of pot and she has this best friend and she drinks too much. Then she dies.
Kornelija Baranskaite
"Vienišė Lulu", "pamišėlė Lulu", – tokiais vardais visą gyvenimą buvo vadinama Lulu Makelan, pagrindinė šios knygos herojė. Augdama mažame Kentukio miestelyje, Lulu jautėsi taip, tarsi iš šalies žiūrėtų į viską, kas jame vyksta. Galbūt todėl jos gyvenimas susideda iš fotografijos kadrų. Kad viskas, ką ji mato ir jaučia, bet ne visada supranta, įgautų prasmę. Dabar, kai mokyklos baigimas jau čia pat, Lu ir jos draugė Džinė slysta per gyvenimą tarsi skęsdamos kvaišalų ir alkoholio liūne. Lu mano, ...more
Alexandra Corinth
Words cannot express how much I love this book - only the creases in the binding, the dog-eared pages, the coffee stains and torn dust jacket could reveal such a love.
Kelly
Lu is angry. Very angry. She's mourning the too-soon loss of her mother and she wants nothing more than to get the hell out of small town Rainey, Kentucky. She bides her time with partying, numbing herself with drugs and booze, and taking photographs. But it's the night she meets Jay -- a boy left Rainey himself and who'd been her brother's best friend -- that suddenly she begins questioning what it is she wants in the future. She won't not leave, but maybe now she'll have someone to take along ...more
Beth
In fast paced nearly poetic prose, first time novelist Henson presents shutterbug Lulu, a constant observer who sees the events of a her life as series of captioned photographs. A camera hangs around her neck even when it is too dark to take pictures, as she uses the lens to craft a frame of reference for her troubled life: a mother dead at a young age, a distant and critical father, bouts of bad grades, and shoplifting, and more recently, joyriding, drinking and drug experimentation. When Jay, ...more
Bethany
I surprisingly read the whole book. I say surprisingly because half way through the book I was about ready to give up on it. Lulu McClellan was a fairly relatable character, but I didn't really have a connection with her. When she wasn't busy getting drunk and high, she was falling head over heals with her brother's older friend. This just left a bad taste in my mouth, not because it wasn't necessarily realistic, but because that was basically the whole story. I didn't find there to be many "unm ...more
Eriel
This was an Ok book. I'm not going to lie and say it was the best book I have ever read but it was Ok. The narrator was a teenage girl that used drugs and got high all the time. It was kind of disturbing actually. She starts to date her brothers friend who is like 28 years old, and she is only 18. And she mostly talks about just getting out of her hometown as soon as she graduates. She wants to travel around the world and be a photographer. I would recommend this to people who like books about t ...more
Amalthea
Decent enough read. Written from a different worldview than my own, which I normally find fascinating, but I felt it tended to be nihilistic at times and left the reader with a bad taste in the mouth. There was a small bit of redemption in the end, but it wasn't satisfying enough for me. Nor did it seem particularly coherent with the character to suddenly have a change of heart.
Ariel
I loved this book ! I just picked it up thinking oh I might read this if I run out of other books ,then I read it .. and it was like "wow that was great , I'm amazed" . I like being pleasently surprised and I def was with this book , I really enjoyed it . It was sad through some parts though , it made me cry once or twice . I recommend it though , really good book . (:
Jessy
This book was absolutely amazing. It touched me in a way a book hadn't in years. The characters are so real that you feel as if you know them. I'm surprised that more people haven't heard of this book and it's hard to find on many sites. It's great for anyone in their teens or up. I'd love to find a copy to reread from time to time.
Katrina
I couldn't get into this book. I felt like the narrator was just another generic teen who used drugs and alcohol as a way to make it through high school living in a small town. Maybe someday I will pick this one up again because others seemed to enjoy it, but for now, I consider it a dud.
This one flies off the shelf with my junior and senior girls.[return][return]Eighteen-year-old Lu is set on leaving her Kentucky home town after high school graduation, but her plans are complicated by friends and family, old grief, and new love.
Riley
For some reason this juvenile tale of a young girl's mundane life has stuck with me since I first read it years ago. Tells the story of a 17 year old who drinks and has a distant father. Typical? Yes. Unforgettable? Yes.
Eb
i want the book so i can re-read it and fall in very deep likes with it again. i can rem. some of the things int the work but i cannot remember all of it like i would like to [i read it roughly 4-5 yrs ago].
Aurora
This book is quietly poignant and really makes you think. It left me wondering about what life's really about. I'm not sure I would read it twice, but it is definitely worth a read.
Katie Bob
A forgettable, but good for time killing book. Quite sad throughout but an interesting plot. An overall good book.
Michelle Ou
this is a great book for when you're bored. It's interesting, but not that exciting. It's an easy book to read.
Chelsea Hoskisson
typical teen read. fairly decent and can be covered in a few hours if you're really that bored.
Anna
This was one of my favorite books growing up and i still love it today!
Marisa
Aug 14, 2007 Marisa marked it as to-read
from YA session at chapter conference -- alcohol
Meredith Winter
Really liked it, considering i relate to it...
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
  • Freewill
  • Dark Angel
  • The Melting Season
  • Heart and Salsa
That Book Woman Dream of Night Here's How I See It--Here's How It Is Grumpy Grandpa Angel Coming

“Sometimes you don't know you'll miss a place until you're gone.” 8 likes
“It's like she looks at me and only sees what she wants to see. My father looks at me and sees only what he wants me to be.” 3 likes