Start by marking “Lutheranism 101” as Want to Read:
Lutheranism 101

Lutheranism 101

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Lutheranism 101 examines Lutheran beliefs and heritage in a fresh way. If you are a lifelong Lutheran searching for more information or new to Lutheranism looking to understand what we believe, this book will be your guide.
Published October 1st 2010 by Concordia Publishing House (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Lutheranism 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lutheranism 101

Julie
Jan 11, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
This book is very good. It will be my first recommended reading for anyone wanting to know about Lutheranism. It touches theology, history, Martin Luther, and gives a book list for further study.
Daniel
Dec 28, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 4.0 of 5

Having grown up Lutheran but now married to a Catholic, I've often been asked, "Well, what do Lutherans think about that?" And like all good Lutherans, I wouldn't have a clue.

This is an amazingly concise and readable book full of history (Christian in general and Lutheran specifically) and a comprehensive explanation why Lutherans worship in the way that they do. It also explains why certain things are said at every worsh
Josh
Jul 18, 2013 Josh rated it really liked it
Personally, I am a Southern Baptist and have no intentions of changing denominations. However, I am grateful to God for the changes he wrought in Martin Luther and how He used him to start a reformation on the church that is still going on today. Therefore, I was very intrigued by this book and wanted to see some of the differences in theology that Lutherans hold to versus what other denominations believe (specifically Baptists) and I was not disappointed at all with this book. I was already awa ...more
Joel Schaefer
Feb 21, 2014 Joel Schaefer rated it it was amazing
While the title suggest this is specifically about Lutheranism, the reality is that this book is much more about Christianity in general, and does provide a limited amount of scope on Lutheranism. this was suggested to me by Pastor Decker, and was very helpful to a novice to better understand some of the very complex Christian concepts. A very good place to start an understanding of Christianity.
Jeff
Dec 25, 2014 Jeff rated it liked it
This book provides a good summary of Lutheran beliefs, history, and the basis for Lutheran worship. As a 30+ year Lutheran I didn't find a lot in this book that I didn't already know, except for some of the church history in America and the rationale behind the structure of Lutheran worship services. I am sure that other readers may find it of greater value than I did, and I certainly recommend it to anyone who wants to understand the Lutheran church.
Tracy
Sep 08, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it
I became a Lutheran in 1999 and wanted to learn more about the Lutheran faith to make sure that it fits my beliefs. So, I bought the kindle version of this book.
I was pleased on how thorough this book was. I was disappointed to see that they have slightly insulted my branch of Lutheranism (ELCA). Yes, we are the ones who made the decision to allow gays to be ordained and allow individual churches to decide whether to "call" a gay minister. Otherwise, I enjoyed all areas of this book. I found so
Anitz99
Apr 06, 2016 Anitz99 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lutheran
Great review for remembering my catechism from many many years ago :-)
Greg Reed
Nov 19, 2013 Greg Reed rated it really liked it
Shelves: lutheran
This is a very easy to read book with lots of good information on Lutheranism. It is a book that all Lutherans should read periodically to remember the roots and basic beliefs of Lutheranism. It also a good book for those who are interested in what Lutherans believe.
Pastor Don
Oct 12, 2012 Pastor Don rated it really liked it
Actually this is more like Lutheranism 202 or above, but if you really want to know what we Lutherans believe then read this book. Great as a Bible study with "The Course" and we are almost through here at Trinity Lutheran Burlington.
Christ's peace!
Arthur O'dell
More comprehensive than I expected, which is a good thing. An excellent resource for someone wanting to learn more about Lutheranism but it may be a little too daunting for a casual reader.
Heather Melcher
Mar 06, 2012 Heather Melcher rated it it was amazing
Well, I'm probably a little biased in my rating, because I am one of the authors of this book. But, it really is an amazing resource to help people understand what Lutherans believe and do.
Susan
May 08, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction

It was quite basic for me as a lifelong Lutheran, but I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for thorough information on our history, what we believe, and why.
Kenny Parnell
Dec 29, 2014 Kenny Parnell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much new material for me based on my other readings, but I would say that it's not a bad place to start if you have no previous exposure to Lutheran doctrine.
Luke Brown
Aug 06, 2011 Luke Brown rated it it was amazing
Tremendous resource! Very useful as an introduction to Lutheranism or as a refresher. I think anyone would find something interesting in this wide-ranging, brief guide.
Beau K Williams
Apr 09, 2015 Beau K Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Immersed

What a good beginning to a better understanding of the tenets and structure (or architecture) of my religion. Extremely helpful .
Iain
Sep 14, 2013 Iain rated it really liked it
Shelves: lutheran
It's the LCMS sunday school textbook.
Susie Meyer
very informative
Paulette Urbanchock
Paulette Urbanchock is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2016
Roger
Roger added it
Jun 12, 2016
Nicolaus
Nicolaus marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Jeffrey M Kulbeth
Jeffrey M Kulbeth rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Tony
Tony rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Krystyna
Krystyna marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Jean-Daniel Veer
Jean-Daniel Veer marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Lurline
Lurline rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Todd Frusti
Todd Frusti is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2016
  • The Book of Concord: The Confessions of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
  • The Lutheran Study Bible: English Standard Version
  • Grace Upon Grace: Spirituality for Today
  • The Proper Distinction Between Law and Gospel
  • Broken: Seven Christian Rules That Every Christian Ought to Break as Often as Possible
  • On Being a Theologian of the Cross: Reflections on Luther's Heidelberg Disputation, 1518
  • The Spirituality of the Cross
  • Hammer of God
  • Evangelical Feminism and Biblical Truth: An Analysis of More Than 100 Disputed Questions
  • The Christian Tradition 2: The Spirit of Eastern Christendom 600-1700