Start by marking “A Taste of Crimson (Crimson City, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Taste of Crimson (Crimson City, #2)

A Taste of Crimson (Crimson City #2)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,286 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Los Angeles is no longer the City of Angels; dark things haunt its streets- dark restless things. Bodies have been found, and the tentative peace between humans, vampires, and werewolves teeters on the brink of collapse. Keeli Maddox needs to know why. If she and her kin are to survive, she must trust a man as different from her as night from day, as tooth from claw. He's ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Love Spell

To ask other readers questions about A Taste of Crimson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Taste of Crimson

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerDark Lover by J.R. WardCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareThe Host by Stephenie MeyerVampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Best Paranormal & Fantasy Romances
426th out of 3,942 books — 7,948 voters
Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth PfefferThe Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth PfefferThis World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer90 Miles to Freedom by K.C. HiltonDead to the World by Charlaine Harris
Books with Moons on the Cover
61st out of 359 books — 139 voters

More lists with this book...

Bark's Book Nonsense
Jan 26, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I realized about 20 pages in that this book is #2 in a series. After I shook off the confusion, I began to fall into the story which is a very kick-butt, action driven paranormal world ALA Buffy the Vampire Slayer except this time the slayer is male and a vampire. He's called "The Punisher" because that's pretty much what he does. He punishes wayward vamps, and kills them when necessary too. Though werewolves and vampires despise each other in this universe they must form a tentative agreement i ...more
Steph
Feb 14, 2015 Steph rated it really liked it
A Taste of Crimson is book 2 in the Crimson City series, which is written by several different authors. It has been four years since I'd read book 1, Crimson City. All I remembered was that I enjoyed it and, at the time, wanted to continue the series. If not for ending up in a challenge, this book probably would've spent another year (or more) on my shelf. I'm glad it didn't.

As much as I love stories with vamps and weres, I really enjoy a good story which incorporates both. This series, to dat
Samantha
Nov 01, 2015 Samantha rated it really liked it
Marjorie M. Liu could write a phone book and I would gobble that stuff up. This is one of those odd series were multiple authors write for it. I don't really have any plans of reading the other books in the series, but this one stands well on its own.

There's a war brewing between vampires, werewolves, and humans. If the war happens humans will have the upper hand. The only way to prevent a massacre is for vampires and werewolves to form some kind of alliance. The problem is that there are some
Mara
Jan 23, 2015 Mara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr
Update: I tried to re-read on 01/20/2014, but at 82% I gave up. Not at all that gripping on a second read. I won't change the rating, but I wouldn't give it 4 stars now.

I'm reading this series completely out of order, but even if I'm missing the full story arch, each book can be read as a stand alone.

The series moves along a city, rather than a bunch of characters, and it's at the same time very unusual and uneven. Every author has her own style, so the fact you liked one book doesn't imply you
Zeek
Mar 15, 2010 Zeek rated it really liked it
The Crimson City Series takes us into a futuristic version of Los Angeles where supernatural creatures have come out of the closet- much to the fear of humans everywhere.

In A Taste of Crimson, Urban Fantasy author Marjorie M. Liu gives us a star-crossed lovers tale of an outcast Vampire assassin and a Werewolf living on the fringe of her pack, that manages to remain fresh several years after it was written and despite the fact bookshelves are now glutted with this genre.

Now that the humans know
Gina
Pretty good but not as good as Crimson City.

I thought the author wrote it well. I truly felt Keeli’s emotions and debates and understood where she was coming from and why she didn’t want to do what she had to do and why she did what she did. A strong woman, she rides on her instincts, even when she doesn’t want to. The war within herself is huge, and with Michael’s help, she gets through it.

I though Michael could have used a little more work. As the Vendix, I got where he came from, the how and
azerjaban
Aug 27, 2013 azerjaban rated it it was amazing
I'm grinning so hard right now. This, this book was reason I could never forget the world in this series years later. Amazing amazing amazing, from start to finish.

Every character, (from Vilans, to random bar member, to cab drivers!) was fleshed out and given a personality-no matter how small thier role. It really brought the book to life.

And the H/h? They had perfect chemistry, they matched each other perfectly, from personality to humor. Their connection never seemed forced, and never felt l
mlady_rebecca
I kept trying to get into this book, but it just never "clicked" for me, which is clear from how long it lingered on my currently reading shelf. There was no compelling need to know what would happen next, only my stubborn determination to at least finish the book.

This is part of a loosely coupled series of paranormal romances by multiple authors. Even though this is the second book in the series, I was told it could be read stand-alone. And I was drawn to this one because I've enjoyed works by
Gina Briganti
Jan 01, 2014 Gina Briganti rated it it was amazing
Plot twists
Paranormal love story
Terrific, seat-grabbing tension in Keeli’s life
Continuation of the Crimson City series storyline from book 1
Segue from Crimson City series book 1
Beautiful writing from Marjorie M. Liu

I am a Marjorie M. Liu fan, which is what brought me to the Crimson City series in the first place. If anyone knows why Ms. Liu didn’t write more of the series, I’d love to hear it. You know, hear it in my head as I read what you wrote. Alas, she did not write more of the series.
Alina
Oct 04, 2010 Alina rated it it was amazing
This is supposed to be the second in a series, but I have never found the first, and I don't think I needed the prequel anyway... *shrugs*

The high rating is for the world Miss Liu has created :) This book was my second taste of her writing (after the novella "A dream of Stone and Shadows" in the Dark Dreamers anthology) and made Miss Liu an auto-buy author for me. I have since read the entire Dirk&Steele series, which is pretty good, and parts of the Hunter Kiss series, which is very good. :
Carolyn F.
I enjoyed this audiobook a lot more than the first book, thank goodness, because I have the whole series on audiobook. I was hoping I wouldn't have buyer's remorse.

I liked the main characters and a new character Eric. I hope they get more into the mecs in the next book and perhaps about the underground situation.

Usually with a Books in Motion audiobook, the beginning is so stilted, "Let's begin." Like a kindergarten teacher. I literally say out loud "Ugh" whenever I hear it. Some of their narr
Yvensong
Mar 12, 2009 Yvensong rated it liked it
Shelves: vampire, werewolves
A Romeo and Juliet type of story, but much darker, much more violent. Can a werewolf and a vampire love each other? That is the theme of this novel of two outsiders who find each other facing an investigation of random murders, extreme prejudice, and the grimy, dangerous streets of Crimson City.

I have not read book 1 in the series, but didn't feel like I was missing out on any important information for this story to move forward.

My only disappointment was there were no surprises for me. Well, on
Oleander
Aug 30, 2013 Oleander rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crimson-city
A 5 star rating from me. An excellent book. This book continues the themes of forbidden romance, action, and intrigue. It blends seamlessly into the story from book 1 but has the romance more front and center. I would call this a pnr within an urban fantasy. So well written you could feel the couple falling in love. Some moments were exquisitely romantic description
Rachel Brown
Aug 03, 2012 Rachel Brown rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Not part of Liu's cracktastic Dirk & Steele series, this novel is part of someone else's series but stands on its own and is actually rather less cracktastic, featuring vampires and werewolves (plus a demon ex machina) rather than mermen, the Faerie Queen, organleggers, dragonshifters, and gargoyles.

Keeli is a pink-haired werewolf with anger issues; Michael is a 300-year-old steppes nomad vampire executioner of vampires. Together, they fight crime!

I don't have a ton to say about this, but I
Kim
Michael is the Vendix, the first vampire executioner of other vampires. He was created over 300 years ago and sentenced to his career for crimes he was forced to commit by his creator. Michaels very good at his job and enjoys being a feared outcast of his kind...until the night that Crimson City's vampires decide to negotiate a pact with the city's werewolves and Michael finds himself saving a small pink haired sprite...

Keeli is the only surviving relative of her grandmother, the Grand Dame Alp
Mindy
Quite an improvement over the series opener. Liu actually invests the majority of the book in character development, so I cared about Keeli and Michael's HEA, plus almost all the other characters as well. Liu gives her characters consistent motives and actions for the most part and it made this book a joy to read.

I loved the view into the world of the wolves, and I love how down-to-earth the wolves are. Also, Liu knows how to hold on to character secrets for a while in order to keep you reading
Bookwormgirl
Jun 19, 2011 Bookwormgirl rated it it was amazing
I view this as a stand alone. I did not really care for any of the other books in the series and in fact stopped reading the series after the third book.

This was a great book with a dark tortured hero and a heroine who has to face some hard truths and does it with grace. I liked the affection between the two. They talked to each other and treated each other with respect.

An emotional read that rises above the pack in both the Crimson City series as well as in Paranormal Romance.
Natalie
Jul 31, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it
This is book 2 in the Crimson City multi-author series. It's a good series and it's always neat when different authors use the same Dark Urban Fantasy world like this. This isn't quite your usual Marjorie Liu story so don't expect any Dirk & Steele - type of action. Action, adventure, MAJOR intrigue (sure didn't see some of those coming!), some romance, strong leads, good story and storyline. I'm going to keep moving on with this series.
Books written by POC
I write and read Dark Fantasy and Paranormal Romance, and these genres suffer as much as all the others as far as a dearth of diversity goes. In paranormal romance, there is the amazing Marjorie M. Liu. I fell completely in love with her when she was writing on the Crimson City series, and I'm working my way through the rest of her work now! She is awesome. [return][return]Marjorie M. Liu rocks my socks. I've devoured her books.
Cindy
Nov 21, 2010 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I liked this much better than the 1st in the series mostly due to the characters of Michael and Keely. They had the outsiders-with-honor vibe going and were really well matched even though their species were traditionally enemies. This entry in the series advanced the storyline quite well and introduced some interesting characters that I hope get their own stories in the future.
Mar 08, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural, romance
This was my favorite of the Crimson City series. My favorite thing about the book was the character of Keelie, a young werewolf on the fringe of her pack. She seems like a teenager stuck in a house observing rules that her fierce independence bucks at every opportunity. Good plot. Interesting second jaunt into the futuristic, supernatural Los Angeles.
Shelley
Jan 05, 2009 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, december
This is the second book in a series that I think I'm going to enjoy very much. It's a shared world series and you know how much I like those! Vampires, werewolves, humans, mechs... oh my! Each book takes part in a different part of Crimson City (a future Los Angeles) and a different set of the people living there.

This one made me howl!
E.
Sep 28, 2008 E. rated it really liked it
Romeo and Juliet with a paranormal twist set against the backdrop of serial murders that may unite the feuding werewolf and vampire societies against humans. An interesting view of the socio-economic structures of the various paranormal factions and the impact upon their respective societies. Very enjoyable.
Kathrynn
Book #2 in the Crimson City Series and the series is written by different authors. In this tale Keeli Maddox, granddaughter of werewolves, and Michael, vampire law enforcement's are the main characters. You should read this series in order, because these characters come back into play.

I liked it!
Jul 22, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: sigh-romance
This book contains everything a paranormal romance should - an interesting and fast-paced storyline, strong likable main characters and convincing romance as well. More importantly, it was written in an extremely intelligent and beautiful manner - smooth and steady, like the river flow.
Angie
Mar 24, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure if I was going to continue the series, but this book renewed my interest. I really liked the combination of werewolf and vampire. The dialogue was funny and the chemistry with the two main characters was great. I can't wait to read the next book.
Elica
Aug 01, 2011 Elica added it
A good love story between a werewolf girl and a vampire guy. I didn't like how the girl was too tough, and the overall ending wasn't all that great either. To be honest, the book put me to sleep if it weren't for the chemistry between the two lovers.
Diane
This story takes the perennial tropes of jaded, elegant vampires and rough-living werewolves, and enriches them with well-rounded characters good, bad, and shades-of-gray on both sides of the divide. It's emotional, sexy, exciting, and even sweet -- one thing I remember is MML's dedication to her parents (of different races) for proving it's possible to make it work. But then, if I'm reading a romance, I'm not ashamed to admit that I want my happy ending, especially for two such sympathetic char ...more
Stef
Mar 27, 2009 Stef rated it liked it
Res
Mar 03, 2008 Res rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
  • Seduced by Crimson (Crimson City, #5)
  • Through a Crimson Veil (Crimson City, #3)
  • A Darker Crimson (Crimson City, #4)
  • Crimson Rogue (Crimson City, #6)
  • Tempted in the Night (Night Slayer, #3)
  • Day of Fire (2176, #2)
  • Primal Heat (Primes, #5)
  • The Cursed One (Wild Wulfs of London, #3)
  • Crimson Moon (Moon #4)
  • Blood Secrets (Valorian Chronicles #1)
  • One Eye Closed (The Pack, #2)
  • The Scarlet Empress
  • Private Demon (Darkyn #2)
  • Hunter's Moon (Nightcreature, #2)
  • Wild Thing (Includes: Warriors of Poseidon, #1.5; Guardians, #1.5)
New York Times bestselling and award-winning writer Marjorie Liu is best known for her fiction and comic books. She teaches comic book writing at MIT, and she leads a class on Popular Fiction at the Voices of Our Nation (VONA) workshop.

Ms. Liu is a highly celebrated comic book writer. Her extensive work with Marvel includes the bestselling Dark Wolverine series, NYX: No Way Home, X-23, and Black
More about Marjorie M. Liu...

Crimson City (7 books)
  • Crimson City (Crimson City, #1)
  • Through a Crimson Veil (Crimson City, #3)
  • A Darker Crimson (Crimson City, #4)
  • Seduced by Crimson (Crimson City, #5)
  • Crimson Rogue (Crimson City, #6)
  • Shards of Crimson (Crimson City, #7)