Start by marking “Uncommon Valor: The Medal of Honor and the Warriors Who Earned It in Afghanistan and Iraq” as Want to Read:

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A fascinating look at six of our bravest soldiers and the highest military decoration awarded in this country

Since the Vietnam War ended in 1973, the Medal of Honor, our nation’s highest award for valor, has been presented to only eight men for their actions “above and beyond the call of duty.” Six of the eight were young men who had fought in the current war in Iraq, Af
Published September 14th 2010 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Uncommon Valor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncommon Valor

Catherine
Wow! Obviously, this book is incredibly sad, but it allows you to see some of the things from the war that you otherwise wouldn't know about. I also learned a lot about the different medals. It was all very interesting. The stories in this book really touch your heart. I'm glad my husband asked me to read it.
Natalie
It was an honor and very humbling to read about these Medal of Honor recipients. There aren't enough words to describe how amazing and selfless they were.
Joyce Faulkner
Terrific book -- well-researched and well-written. Interesting topic.
Eric W
This book was absolutely AMAZING!! It told some of the most touching, brave, and sad stories about the recipients of the Medal of Honor. These stories were about the six soldiers who have received the Medal of Honor during the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. All of these recipients have earned the respect of everyone in the United States of America. They cared deeply for their country, and some of them died for it. I would deeply encourage you to read this book. But be advised: These stories involv ...more
Blaine Pardoe
The stories of battle from Afghanistan and Iraq are just emerging. That is the way of history, that the true tales of valor take time to reach the light of day. The stories we grow to know first are those of the people that win the Medal of Honor.

This book takes us through several of those stories - introducing us to not just the heroes but their past and what made them the people that were destined or ordained to secure this highest honor.

The book is well written, very entertaining. Unlike ot
Kathleen Rodgers
Final Roll Call:

"Sergeant First Class Paul Ray Smith."
"Corporal Jason Dunham."
Silence.
"Lieutenant Michael P. Murphy."
Silence.
"Petty Officer Second Class Michael Anthony Monsoor."
Silence.
"U.S. Army Specialist Ross A. McGinnis."
Silence.
"U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Jared C. Monti."
Silence.

What makes a person deliberately fall on a grenade, charge into a line of fire, sacrifice his life to save another? The six brave men listed above, all posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor, aren't here to
Vincent O'Neil
From the end of the Vietnam War through September 2009, only eight Medals of Honor have been awarded.

I think a couple of more have been awarded since 2009, but that still seems like a very low rate of recognition.

The authors focu on the lives - and deaths - of six awardees from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. These bios are sobering, and encouraging. America has young men willing to die to protect their buddies.

A very comprehensive history of the medal is included, and the list of source mater
Robert Moore
The men highlighted in this book are the epitome of a HERO. It's not just their brave final acts, how they conducted themselves throughout life should be heralded.

They'll be forever bonded by final altruistic acts which saved lives of their comrades, fully aware it'd probably be their last.

The father or Ross A McGinnis put it best when he said, "I never knew what a Medal of Honor recipient would look like." They're not John Wayne look-a-likes, only ordinary men who lived extraordinary lives.
Kris
non-fiction; good military and war history as well as information about the Medal of Honor and it's recipients
Lauren
Lauren is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2014
Alec
Alec marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Alex
Alex added it
Feb 07, 2014
Don Whitson
Don Whitson marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
DWIGHT JON ZIMMERMAN has written extensively on military-history subjects for American Heritage, the Naval Institute Press, Vietnam Magazine, and numerous military-themed publications. He has adapted children’s versions of books by distinguished authors such as James McPherson and Simon Winchester. He lives in Brooklyn, New York.
More about Dwight Jon Zimmerman...
The Vietnam War: A Graphic History The Hammer and the Anvil: Frederick Douglass, Abraham Lincoln, and the End of Slavery in America Beyond Hell and Back: How America's Special Operations Forces Became the World's Greatest Fighting Unit The Book of Weapons The Book of War