Start by marking “In a People House” as Want to Read:
In a People House

In a People House

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  9,736 ratings  ·  123 reviews
When a spunky mouse invites a passing bird to see what's inside a People House, chaos ensues while beginning readers learn the names of 65 common household items—and that people are generally not pleased to find mice and birds in their houses! A super simple, delightfully silly introduction to objects around the home—from none other than Dr. Seuss!
Published September 25th 2007 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about In a People House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a People House

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakSeven Wonders Of The World by Anna OthitisNo, David! by David ShannonAn Elephant Is On My House by Othen Donald Dale Cummings
Books I Don't Mind Reading My Kids.....
53rd out of 394 books — 367 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
336th out of 1,386 books — 999 voters

More lists with this book...

Cami
I have great nostalgic love for this book and it is currently my two-year-old's favorite.
"Reedapeepoh book!"
Liam
When I was a little kid I absolutely loved this book... I loved it so much that I actually still have my copy. I used to read it to my younger brothers all the time. For my money, this is one of the best Dr. Seuss books, even though it is not one of the better known ones.
Maureen Jehling
In a People House, by Dr. Seuss, is about a mouse and bird exploring a person's house. They go all throughout the house and learn what types of things that are used in a person's house. The whole thing is basically just a list of key words that are just listed, but are common words use by people. It has very simple to read text throughout! Go on and read the book yourself, or with your children, to see what happens as the mouse and bird explore through what is unknown to them!

Personally, this bo
Theodora
This is a great story. This will help to build children vocabulary in language and literacy. It helps children to identify all types of object found in a house. Mr. Bird and Mr. Mouse went on an adventure
to explore what is in people 's house. The people were not very pleased. I would use this book for story-time and also put it in reading center for the children to read.

Dr. Seuss is a very fine author. I remember when I was a child and I grew up reading his book.He was an American writer, poet
Tandie
I seriously have this entire book memorized. Baked beans, bureau drawers and books. Lights and lamps and hats and hooks. It was the #1 requested nap time story, along with Go Dog Go and Mr. Brown Can Moo.

Oh, there's more! The climax, where we all say CRASH together.

Doll and dishes, teapot, trash. Look out below, I'm going to CRASH! (Getting thrown out the door) Another thing it's time you knew, a people house has people too!
Joy
We got this book in a set of the "Beginner Books." It is one of the books that Dr. Seuss wrote under a different pseudonym and did not illustrate himself.

It is a simple book with a mouse giving a bird a tour of "a people house." He shows the bird all the different things that you can find in a house. Often it is a list of things but it rhymes well.

Zoe really likes this book (she is 4, but has Expressive Language Disorder). She requested it tonight over Green Eggs and Ham. Unlike a lot of Dr. Se
Jourdan
This book was very enjoyable to read. It's about a mouse who invites a bird into the "people house" to show him around. He points out things such as doors, brooms, pianos and goldfish. I have to point out my favorite which is baked beans. This line added a little humor to the book and made me chuckle a little. There were a couple times when something happened to the mouse and the bird . This allowed for the story to keep going and have events instead of just listing everything throughout the en ...more
David Sarkies
Well, here is a children's book that encourages you to break into somebody's house and then run amok smashing everything! Why do I say that? Because that is what the two protagonists of the piece are doing, a bird and a mouse. Firstly the mouse opens the window and invites the bird in, and then they run around pointing out all of the items that one can find in a house until such a time as they knock over a bunch of valuable items and creating a massive mess. However they are caught and thrown o ...more
Pamela ☼what?!? you want more gruel☼ Tee
The premise of this Dr. Seuss book is that a mouse and a bird enter a people habitat to investigate and take a look around.

"Come inside, Mr. Bird," said the mouse.
"I'll show you what there is in a People House..."

There is the usual Seussian rhyme in this one, but the main content of the story is a list of household items.

"Bananas, bathtub, bottles, brooms...
That's what you find in people's rooms".

Considerations :::
This one is for entering First Graders.

The artwork is cute and colorful. The p
Mitchell
I prefer my kid's books to tell a story and this definitely doesn't. In fact it is mostly a list of words. And not a particularly interesting set of words. And not the best art either. The idea isn't bad but the execution wasn't up to the better Seuss books.
Angie
This book was one of my favorites when I was a kid. I loved Dr. Seuss. I think this book definitely stands the test of time. It is easy to read, a fun story and something kids will enjoy.
Maria Bulfamante
This is another one of my favorites from Dr. Seuss. It's about a bird and a mouse going through someone's house. It's a great way for students to learn about what's inside a house.
Emkoshka
Recognisably Seuss for its ridiculous, rambunctious, rollicking, rhyming romp through an unfamiliar landscape for animals: a people house. A riff on The Cat in the Hat.
A.C. Bauch
A great book for sight words. Will be a fun read for when the little guy is older. In the meantime, he likes the words' rhythm and the bright, bold illustrations.
Pam
This is a fantastic book, made even better by the fact that L read it almost entirely by herself. I am so proud.
John Yelverton
A fun and enjoyable Dr. Seuss book that takes everyday objects and brings them to the forefront of your child's imagination.
Ashwise
What happens when 2 animals break into a people house. It's not really Suess though.
Nicole (Stop Staring At My Books Jr.) Williams
This book in new hardcover cost $1.41, if used hardcover it cost $0.01. if new paperback it cost $0.12, if used paperback it cost $0.18. On Amazon.
Blanca R.
This book teach vocabulary words of items children can find in their houses.It desperate curiosity when listen the book of what is inside to the house. help children to create a picture of their own house.I can help children to organized their house.
Learning extension:Give children a variety of pictures of items they can find at their own house.Ask to each child where the picture they choose belong in the house.For example, a picture of a spoon belong to the bathroom or in the kitchen.This will
Lesley
One of my favorites as a kid and to read to my daughter when she was younger!
Christine Matson
One of my favorites as a kid...and now I read it to Alexandra:)
Julie
I love this book and it is a favorite of my girls.
♥ Sarah ♥
Dec 11, 2014 ♥ Sarah ♥ marked it as to-read
Shelves: own, childrens

Age:
Lesson:
Purchased: $1.72 on eBay
Carter Harrison
This was okay... not much of a story though.
Kathleen
I love it, and it's so good. ~A, age 5
Ginnie Grant
This is an all time classic.
Samantha Penrose
This book provides a fun alternative to the typical first words book. Helpful as they may be, the standard first word book is so very boring for the adult! This book features an adventerous mouse who invites a random bird into a people house to have a look around. With this book you not only have tons of familiar objects, you also get a simple story that has rhythm and rhyme. The text is set up so that words describing the objects pictured are in a bold face, pink and any other words are in a sm ...more
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
In A People House
By Theo LeSieg
Illustrations By Roy McKie
Grade Levels: app. PreK-2
DRA/Lexile Measure/GLE: 2.5
Reviewed By Aaron Carter

As with other books in the Dr. Seuss series, In A People House makes extensive use of quirky images combined with simple sentences and rhymes, and thus it is an excellent choice for beginning readers. Further, the words of everyday items encountered in a house are enlarged and oftentimes denoted in red, while the remaining words, including sight words, are in black
Andy
As the mouse displays and catalogs some of the major worldly posessions and creature comforts of the people house, it is clear to me that he is full of envy. The bird is simply curious. The climax of the conflict, "look out below I'm going to crash" is the moment that the mouse's jealousy overcomes him. Look at him ringing the bells, pointing at walls and windows with pointed sticks. In the end they are put out while the trash remains. They are less than trash. Good riddance, Mr. Mouse. Don't co ...more
Goodreads post 2 1 4 Jan 16, 2013 07:46PM
  • Great Day for Up
  • Bears on Wheels
Ten Apples Up On Top! Please Try to Remember the First of Octember! Maybe You Should Fly a Jet! Maybe You Should Be a Vet! The Eye Book Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!