Start by marking “In a People House” as Want to Read:
In a People House

In a People House (Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  11,755 Ratings  ·  152 Reviews
When a spunky mouse invites a passing bird to see what's inside a People House, chaos ensues while beginning readers learn the names of 65 common household items—and that people are generally not pleased to find mice and birds in their houses! A super simple, delightfully silly introduction to objects around the home—from none other than Dr. Seuss!
Published September 25th 2007 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about In a People House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a People House

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakNo, David! by David ShannonHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussAn Elephant Is On My House by O.D.D. Cummings
Books I Don't Mind Reading My Kids.....
59th out of 497 books — 438 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
257th out of 1,981 books — 1,286 voters

More lists with this book...

Cami
Sep 18, 2008 Cami rated it liked it
I have great nostalgic love for this book and it is currently my two-year-old's favorite.
"Reedapeepoh book!"
Liam
Nov 19, 2010 Liam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a little kid I absolutely loved this book... I loved it so much that I actually still have my copy. I used to read it to my younger brothers all the time. For my money, this is one of the best Dr. Seuss books, even though it is not one of the better known ones.
Jourdan
Sep 04, 2014 Jourdan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very enjoyable to read. It's about a mouse who invites a bird into the "people house" to show him around. He points out things such as doors, brooms, pianos and goldfish. I have to point out my favorite which is baked beans. This line added a little humor to the book and made me chuckle a little. There were a couple times when something happened to the mouse and the bird . This allowed for the story to keep going and have events instead of just listing everything throughout the ...more
Tandie
Jul 14, 2013 Tandie rated it it was amazing
I seriously have this entire book memorized. Baked beans, bureau drawers and books. Lights and lamps and hats and hooks. It was the #1 requested nap time story, along with Go Dog Go and Mr. Brown Can Moo.

Oh, there's more! The climax, where we all say CRASH together.

Doll and dishes, teapot, trash. Look out below, I'm going to CRASH! (Getting thrown out the door) Another thing it's time you knew, a people house has people too!
Devi Henn
Nov 05, 2016 Devi Henn added it
Shelves: poetry-2
This was one of my favorite books as a child! My dad would always read this to me, and it was my favorite Dr. Seuss book!!
In a People House is a great poetry book for young children. It shows a mouse and bird looking through a people house to learn the names of household items.
Brian Smith
Nov 09, 2016 Brian Smith rated it really liked it
"Come inside, Mr. Bird," said the mouse. "I'll show you what there is in a people house." I thought the book, In a People House by Dr. Seuss writing as Theo LeSieg was so funny! An energetic mouse wants to show his new friend Mr. Bird all of the things he has found in the people house. He lists all of the items accompanied by pictures to help the reader match the words to their image. This book is great for emerging readers and it is humorous in the Dr. Seuss way and it flows with a catchy ...more
David Sarkies
Jun 28, 2015 David Sarkies rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Smashing up the neighbour's house
18 November 2013

Well, here is a children's book that encourages you to break into somebody's house and then run amok smashing everything! Why do I say that? Because that is what the two protagonists, a bird and a mouse, are doing. Firstly the mouse opens the window and invites the bird in. Then they run around pointing out all of the items that one can find in a house until such a time as they knock over a bunch of valuable items creating a massive mess. However
Maureen Jehling
Dec 05, 2014 Maureen Jehling rated it it was ok
In a People House, by Dr. Seuss, is about a mouse and bird exploring a person's house. They go all throughout the house and learn what types of things that are used in a person's house. The whole thing is basically just a list of key words that are just listed, but are common words use by people. It has very simple to read text throughout! Go on and read the book yourself, or with your children, to see what happens as the mouse and bird explore through what is unknown to them!

Personally, this bo
Theodora
Mar 29, 2014 Theodora rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author, people
This is a great story. This will help to build children vocabulary in language and literacy. It helps children to identify all types of object found in a house. Mr. Bird and Mr. Mouse went on an adventure
to explore what is in people 's house. The people were not very pleased. I would use this book for story-time and also put it in reading center for the children to read.

Dr. Seuss is a very fine author. I remember when I was a child and I grew up reading his book.He was an American writer, poet
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
The premise of this Dr. Seuss book is that a mouse and a bird enter a people habitat to investigate and take a look around.

"Come inside, Mr. Bird," said the mouse.
"I'll show you what there is in a People House..."

There is the usual Seussian rhyme in this one, but the main content of the story is a list of household items.

"Bananas, bathtub, bottles, brooms...
That's what you find in people's rooms".

Considerations :::
This one is for entering First Graders.

The artwork is cute and colorful. The p
Blanca R.
Jan 28, 2013 Blanca R. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, curiosity, house
This book teach vocabulary words of items children can find in their houses.It desperate curiosity when listen the book of what is inside to the house. help children to create a picture of their own house.I can help children to organized their house.
Learning extension:Give children a variety of pictures of items they can find at their own house.Ask to each child where the picture they choose belong in the house.For example, a picture of a spoon belong to the bathroom or in the kitchen.This will
Samantha Penrose
Mar 21, 2008 Samantha Penrose rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This book provides a fun alternative to the typical first words book. Helpful as they may be, the standard first word book is so very boring for the adult! This book features an adventerous mouse who invites a random bird into a people house to have a look around. With this book you not only have tons of familiar objects, you also get a simple story that has rhythm and rhyme. The text is set up so that words describing the objects pictured are in a bold face, pink and any other words are in a ...more
Chantia Singleton
"In a People House" could be a great activity to use alongside a game like, "Busy Town." One could even create their own game on large poster board paper and give the children magnifying glasses. The children would be instructed to find the items listed or items that one would find in a 'people' house. As a fun assessment, the children could have a sheet with numerous items on it and they would go on a "hunt" and circle things that they would find in a "people" house. We could extend the ...more
Christy
Oct 05, 2015 Christy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
I don't remember this book as a child, but that has been many moons ago. I thought it was okay giving details on what is in people's houses.

I think the best part was the ending when they got tossed out of the house. I don't know why that a mused me, but it did.

There are a few things in this book that I have never had in my own house roller skates and piano are just two things that I saw.

It is a good book for kids just starting out, but for me it didn't catch my attention and I just wanted to
Joy
Apr 01, 2014 Joy rated it liked it
We got this book in a set of the "Beginner Books." It is one of the books that Dr. Seuss wrote under a different pseudonym and did not illustrate himself.

It is a simple book with a mouse giving a bird a tour of "a people house." He shows the bird all the different things that you can find in a house. Often it is a list of things but it rhymes well.

Zoe really likes this book (she is 4, but has Expressive Language Disorder). She requested it tonight over Green Eggs and Ham. Unlike a lot of Dr. Se
Andy
Aug 13, 2011 Andy rated it it was amazing
As the mouse displays and catalogs some of the major worldly posessions and creature comforts of the people house, it is clear to me that he is full of envy. The bird is simply curious. The climax of the conflict, "look out below I'm going to crash" is the moment that the mouse's jealousy overcomes him. Look at him ringing the bells, pointing at walls and windows with pointed sticks. In the end they are put out while the trash remains. They are less than trash. Good riddance, Mr. Mouse. Don't ...more
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
In A People House
By Theo LeSieg
Illustrations By Roy McKie
Grade Levels: app. PreK-2
DRA/Lexile Measure/GLE: 2.5
Reviewed By Aaron Carter

As with other books in the Dr. Seuss series, In A People House makes extensive use of quirky images combined with simple sentences and rhymes, and thus it is an excellent choice for beginning readers. Further, the words of everyday items encountered in a house are enlarged and oftentimes denoted in red, while the remaining words, including sight words, are in black
Suzanna Fitch
Jun 24, 2014 Suzanna Fitch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: when-i-was-young
The FIRST book that made me fall in love with reading... well, it might not be your idea of a great novel, but it was my first book-love. "In A People House" by Theo LeSieg. I loved the pictures, the sounds of the words strung together, and the goofy story line. I must have been 4 when I started reading on my own, and that book got read and re-read many times for a number of years... in fact, I still have my original copy (duct taped as the cover was falling apart!).
Andrewdashgillman
Jun 05, 2008 Andrewdashgillman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone curious about the names for common household curiosities.
See there's this mouse, right, and this mouse shows the bird around the house, listing all the many fabulous and wonderful things that are, you guessed it, in that house ! Okay, get past the fact that Dr. Seuss didn't illustrate this little gem and I think you'll be surprised and delighted by the simple but informative rhymes, such that soon you'll find yourself pointing out similar such items in your own house.

If it just happened for my niece, it can happen for you.
Abbi Kraus
Sep 14, 2011 Abbi Kraus rated it really liked it
A mouse shows a bird through a "people house." The mouse lists objects that rhyme, and at the end of the book the people kick the mouse and bird out of their home. This book is fun for rhyming. It is a good introduction to poetry or rhyming for children. It is also a writing prompt: what is in your house? What are your favorite possessions and what do they mean for you?
Jim Sibigtroth
When Dr Seuss wrote the story and drew the illustrations, he used the name Dr Seuss. When he wrote the words but someone else drew the pictures, he used the name Theo. LeSieg (his real name, Theodore Geisel, spelled backwards). And one book (Because a Little Bug went Ka-CHOO!) Michael Firth illustrated and collaborated with Dr Seuss on the text so he used the author name "Rosetta Stone".
Christian Houseworth
This is a funny book written from the perspective of a bird. The bird describes a series of things that exist in a "people" house. This book is a great book to teach the writers craft of rhyme and also to introduce rhyming words. This is a great book to help children write about something new they experienced or to even write about an illustrate their own house.
Slytano
Feb 27, 2013 Slytano rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-reader
A fun and colorful vocabulary builder. Great rhymes. The TV and telephone look stupid because this book was written in 1972. A mouse and a bird completely ransack a people house. They like to eat bananas and take baths together. This book is sort of weird.

In the end the people that live in the house throw the mouse and bird outside. I thought that was rude.
Aug 11, 2008 Laura rated it liked it
A mouse decides to show a bird exactly what is in a people's house.

This was a fairly comical book that I thought would be fun to read out loud to children. The pictures of all the things the mouse and the bird were getting into were pretty humorous - a cute book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Tara
Sep 07, 2012 Tara rated it it was amazing
It may just be nostalgia, but I love this book! It's just a mouse and a bird going through a house and discovering the items within. It's a good early reader that can help a child start associating the printed words with the items. The pictures are fun and although it's a very basic book, it's a good one.
Isaac
Sep 17, 2012 Isaac rated it it was amazing
This classic story takes a good look at all of the fantastic things that can be found in the average people house. Scissors, needle, buttons, thread, cup and saucer, pillows and beds are just a few of the things discovered by a very nosy little mouse and his friend bird. The illustrations are fun and the rhyming makes this a fun book to read again and again.
David Natiuk
In a people house is geared towards the early reader... trying to learn words by simple drawings. It's a fun book, good pacing and story - not JUST learning words. A little short, but another classic Dr. Seuss story.
Dacia
Oct 19, 2007 Dacia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One!
I remember this was the only book in my doctor's office when I was little. I read it and read it because there was nothing else to read (excet boring grown-up magazines), but I never could understand it.
Anna Loeppky
Oct 28, 2013 Anna Loeppky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book is perfect for preschoolers who like rhyming books. This is another excellent Dr. Seuss book that brings normal (and imaginary) things and says them in a completely different way. The perspective is by a mouse, which makes it even more adorable. I would recommend this book to many people.
Rachel
Aug 30, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it
Bold illustrations accompany a mouse & bird as they detail the items one can find inside a house. A good choice for beginning readers, though the plot is thin on this one from the great Dr. Seuss. Recommended.
Goodreads post 2 1 4 Jan 16, 2013 07:46PM
  • Bears on Wheels
  • The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • All by Myself
  • A to Z
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • Sam and the Firefly
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • It's Not Easy Being Big! (Bright & Early Books)
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • The Hair Book (Bright & Early Book)
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, MA. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting both ...more
More about Dr. Seuss...

Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Nose Book
  • The Hair Book (Bright & Early Book)
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?
  • I Can Write! A Book by Me, Myself (Bright & Early Book)
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff / The Foot Book / Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (Bright and Early Board Books, Pack D)
  • Blue Train, Green Train (Thomas & Friends)
  • Fast Train, Slow Train (Thomas & Friends)
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words