Start by marking “Eat Right 4 Your Type: The Individualized Diet Solution” as Want to Read:
Eat Right 4 Your Type: The Individualized Diet Solution

Eat Right 4 Your Type: The Individualized Diet Solution

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,121 Ratings  ·  242 Reviews
"What would you say if I told you that the secret to healthy, vigorous, and disease-free living might be as simple as knowing your blood type," ask Dr. Peter D'Adamo and Catherine Whitney, and in Eat Right 4 Your Type, they shows us the simple answer.
If you've ever suspected that not everyone should eat the same thing or do the same exercise, you're right. In fact, what
Published January 1st 1997 by Putnam Adult (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Eat Right 4 Your Type, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat Right 4 Your Type

Nick Fagerlund
Jun 19, 2008 Nick Fagerlund rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book came up in a conversation with Kathleen before she went east — a relative of hers had gotten significant benefit from following some or another nugget of counterintuitive advice from it, which sort of thing is perfect grist for our style of shit-shooting. Anyway, I thought the premise sounded too weird to ignore, so I checked it out from the library.

Basically, D’Adamo says that your blood type determines (or is at least the primary influence on) your metabolism and your ability to dige
Jonny Cox
Nov 14, 2012 Jonny Cox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The bible never mentions apples. The Book of Genesis only refers to the fruit from the tree of knowledge and I believe that Eve caused the fall of man with a tomato; it is the Devil's fruit. All my life I felt like an oddity because I so detest the gooey red mess until I read this book. D'Adamo explains in the intro that type A blood groups can't digest the Devil's fruit because of insufficient stomach acid. This made sense so I read the rest of the book and gave up milk. WithIn 72 hours I felt ...more
Jodi
Jun 14, 2014 Jodi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-books
Some of the concepts in this book are not fully scientifically supportable, but the diet may still make lots and lots of people feel a whole lot better and attain a much greater level of health! These two things are not mutually exclusive.

Reasons the claims made about the scientific merit of the exact food lists provided for each blood type are unconvincing (on the whole) to me include:

1. I have read more than half a dozen detailed and methodical explanations of why the scientific concepts in th
Latiffany
I don't think it is fair for me to write that I read this book because in actuality, I skimmed it. A coworker suggested this book about two years ago. I immediately purchased it and went to the doctor to confirm my blood type. Shortly after, the same coworker said that her doctor informed her that the book is junk science. I never told my doctor why I needed to know my blood type, so I can't 100% concur.

I will agree that there is no way that I am limiting myself to foods outlined in this book fo
Ryan
Feb 27, 2009 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nutritionists; health seekers
Agne Jakubauskaite
Well... I finally finished reading this book only because my library wouldn't let me keep it any longer. I started reading it because I heard a lot of different opinions about Blood Type Diet and wanted to know more about it. While reading this book, I actually tried to avoid foods which are harmful for my blood type. Since I felt pretty healthy before this diet anyways, I did not experience any significant benefits.

This January, a new study came out, which found no scientific evidence for the B
Ebookwormy
Apr 05, 2009 Ebookwormy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The idea of this work, that your blood type determines what you should eat and how you should exercise, is compelling, so I borrowed it from a friend.

Of course, I started by skimming my own blood type, and I found it to be much like reading a horoscope in a Sunday paper. Sure, there were some things that seemed to fit, but there were also some things that were the exact opposite of my experience. I laughed out loud when I read that certain Types are subject to heart disease and cancer! Oh reall
Starlight
Jan 09, 2009 Starlight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in health, easy fitness and personal improvement
Recommended to Starlight by: Amy L'Heureux
This is one of the first books that I feel is not really a "diet" book based on "a shift in human consumption" but is based on scientific, blood-related equations that happen when you eat food appropriate or inappropriate for your type. Additionally, after reading it, I didn't put it down and cry over all the things I couldn't eat. I actually related very much to the foods on the lists - for example, when a food is listed to avoid for my type, I usually responded with "yeah, I don't really like ...more
Finbar
An interesting approach to diet and lifestyle, but a bit too generalized to be effective. I thought this would be a helpful tool to tweak my eating habits, but it reads more like a "fad diet" book. There are a few effective arguments and good advise to be found in here, but it just has too much pseudo-jargon to be useful. This book just didn't resonate with me.
Josh Mccoy
Jul 22, 2013 Josh Mccoy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Some helpful information but its actually much like a horiscope - general enough to apply to nearly anyone. I was actually really excited by the book and its premise but after doing some research I found out that Dr. D'Adamo is passing on information as truth when its actually scientifically false. And it's not just small facts in his work, it is a lot including his historical information about the blood types and how nutrients are absorbed into the body from our food. I was really disheartened ...more
Tortla
I mostly just read the introduction and the chapter on my blood type. But from what I did read, I got a pretty strong impression of the type of advice that was being dispensed.

Basically, it's like vaguely-racist astrology. The ideas behind the advice were mostly sound. (Including suggestions to eat more of certain fruits and vegetables, and to avoid others, with reference to pseudo-scientific reasoning for how these foods affect the bodies of certain blood types and thereby affect the way they f
Maarten Koller
Nov 04, 2012 Maarten Koller rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author tells stories instead of backing up his ideas with science. No references at all in this book. Unless research confirms the ideas of the author, that is all they are, ideas and not facts. Also consider the fact that he published his book/ideas in 1997, if it hasn't been confirmed by now, will it ever?
Hilal
Feb 08, 2016 Hilal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admire Dr Peter D'adamo's work, his books introduced me to a world of possibilities that is both scientific and practical. I'm a blood type O that grow up among siblings and Parents of an A blood type and eventually got Married to a B blood type. I understand now why I always have trouble with cheese and milk but not necessarily Yogurt and Laban, and why I crave some of the bad foods for my blood type, and why some people are basically resistant to this more individualized new (Not one size fi ...more
Rose
Apr 02, 2014 Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry to see so many giving in to doctor's claims of quakery and not using some common sense. This idea of blood types and how foods affect people based on that has come at a time in my food evolution where it makes absolute sense. I've studied and experienced so many theories of food-styles--the most recent being the raw food diet. Within them is always the catch of how some foods work better or worse for different people. So why is that? This seems to be a poosible answer.

I find that many
Virginia Jacobs
Okay, first, some clarification: I did not read this entire book. I read through my blood type, O, and I perused my husband's blood type, A.

This book started out a little scientific-y, basically arguing the premise that if your blood fuels your body, then what you eat should fuel your blood. And, as we know there are different blood types, so it stands to reason that they could be fueled differently.

I picked up this book for a variety of reasons, including that I'm trying to lose a little weigh
Indi Martin
Sep 16, 2009 Indi Martin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: if it keeps up this way, everyone.
Shelves: read-was-ok
I hate "diet books." I am not really big on self-help books either.

The detoxification retreat I went to recommended this book very highly - in fact, it is the only nutrition plan they recommend. Thus, I read the book while there, and wrote down the pointers for my blood type (Type 0) in my notebook. I also read about a thousand reviews of the diet, from physicians to proponents, skeptics to housewives who have been following it.

Interesting.

The theory sounds like a load of crap. Blood type, as ma
Nancy
Sep 09, 2012 Nancy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I know some people find this book to be great, but I find it to be hooey quackery. Lots of contradictions and "maybes" and "possiblies" and "not everyones".

Apparently, I'm supposed to eat tofu, soy cheese (which is not food, in my opinion), walk, and do yoga. If that's my existence, I might as well just keel over and die. I'd dig the hole first, but I'm not supposed to do any strenuous activities :)

I am supposed to eat peanut butter and pineapple, though. YUM!!!!

I must be one of the "exception
Susan
Jan 11, 2009 Susan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book I can't tell you how dangerous I think it is. If there was a negative rating I would have chosen it.
The idea behind this book is that certain blood types should only eat certain foods and completely omit other foods from their diets. I can see a whole hatfull of problems with that theory and that's what this is really. Theory. Tell me when and where in the history of life that there is any proof or evidence to support this?
I've heard of some close friends that have subjec
Maria
Nov 04, 2011 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've dipped in and out of this book for a long time, but never read it cover to cover. Definitely very interesting, makes you think a lot about the food you are eating and in my experience seems to work quite well (at least for me). However I did find the explanation for importance of blood type a bit lacking (the first few chapters) and I still feel it is not quite as simple as there being 4 blood types and 4 ways of eating. Within each type is further complexity based on your own genetic make ...more
Karen
Oct 03, 2010 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want to be healthy
Fascinating theory that blood types determine body chemistry and therefore what types of foods agree with our systems and those that essentially act like poisons to us. Problem: may require lifestyle changes if the foods you love to eat are on the "Avoid" list. A friend reports miraculous results including 30 pound weight loss and improvements in other ailments such as digestion, skin and hair issues. Why aren't we taught these things? Why don't doctors pay attention to these things? Perhaps we ...more
Christa
May 07, 2008 Christa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are interested in a different take on dieting
I picked this book up out of curiosity. I have seen many different varieties of diet, and most of them just have not ever grabbed me like this did. As I was reading over the eating plan for my blood type, I found that things that are recommended to avoid are many of the things I just do not like - and I never knew why. Things that I crave are on the beneficial list. It resonated with me. I am making changes and hope that it helps.

I hate to take this out of my "currently reading" portion...as it
Nadi L.
Mar 16, 2016 Nadi L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Eat Right 4 Your Type" has been such a blessing to my family and I. After reading this particular informational novel, there was no doubt that the diets seem to work. In the novel, it presents out all the different blood types (O, A, B, AB {In that order}) and lists out foods that are highly beneficial, neutral, and bad for each type. Also, for each type, it give out a list of things to eat for weight loss and it gives you an idea of what type of exercise to do as well. More specifically, it gi ...more
Sally
Mar 11, 2016 Sally rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Summary
The author posits that blood types evolved based junctures in human development and that certain types of foods are better suited to specific blood types. Each blood type has particular antigens and the lectins (a type of protein) in food can react to start the agglutination process (or clumping of blood cells), in order to reject it. So best case, some foods are neutral and some are actual harmful depending on your blood type.
I’ve been reading a lot about diet and to be frank, I am not i
Susan
Interesting book. It confirmed what I already knew...that I am not cut out to be vegetarian. Apparently my blood type needs red meat! But when I got to the beverage section and it said I should avoid coffee and dairy products I stopped reading. I mean really? No coffee? What would the point of getting up in the morning be then? And no dairy? I eat Golden Spoon frozen yogurt every single day and I love milk! But still an interesting book on blood types.
Susan Troccolo
Dec 03, 2015 Susan Troccolo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't buy into everything in this book. That said, when I eat what is right for my type, and use food as a medicine...I feel great. When I don't (eating too much wheat for example), I feel lousy. It's pretty simple. Once I asked a ND that I respect a lot what he thought of this book. He responded: "There are NO silver bullets, but if there was even one, it would be to eat right for your blood type." That was a decade ago. Since then, I've asked others about it and gotten a similar response. I ...more
Sue
Mar 09, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2001
The book which explains - perhaps - why some people thrive on a vegetarian diet, and others on a high-protein one. If the theory is true, the book is a sensible and practical one, with good ideas for increasing health by eating according to blood group. Even if the theory is entirely wrong (as is possible) there are still some good suggestions for general health eating.
Nicole
Dec 17, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still not entirely sold on this concept, but considering it was recommended by my doctor, and given I am only 3 days into fully abiding by the plan, I may end up change my rating in time.

One of the biggest issues I have with this book is the double speak. For instance, there are 3 categories broken down for each food group along with explanations for why specific foods are good or bad for your particular blood type. The categories are: beneficial, neutral, and avoid.

While reading through th
Linda
Jul 01, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made complete sense to me. I think it explains why different people react to the same thing in different ways. It also resonates with my belief that we need to look at what we feed our bodies rather than simply rushing to treat symptoms of problems with deeper underlying causes, chiefly everyday diet and lifestyle.
Janice
May 08, 2015 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basically this book is about eating right for your blood type. Obviously it helps to know your blood type before you read the book. It makes sense to me that just because you eat specific types of food does not actually mean that you should. It interested me to know a bit more about why I have some health problems based on the foods that I eat and I felt it was a very informative read. Also in retrospect it does make you think more about your health and what you can do for yourself to make your ...more
Calypso
Sep 08, 2015 Calypso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una flor más para mi jardín. El consejo de comer de acuerdo al tipo de sangre suena lógico y lo pude comprobar cuando modifiqué mi dieta a fin de sentirme mejor.
  • The New Atkins for a New You Cookbook: 200 Simple and Delicious Low-Carb Recipes in 30 Minutes or Less
  • The Blood-Type Diet: Your Personalized Diet and Exercise Program
  • The Biggest Loser 30-Day Jump Start: Lose Weight, Get in Shape, and Start Living the Biggest Loser Lifestyle Today!
  • Eat More, Weigh Less: Dr. Dean Ornish's Life Choice Program for Losing Weight Safely While Eating Abundantly
  • The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth about What You Should Eat and Why
  • Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future
  • Food and Healing
  • The Sonoma Diet: Trimmer Waist, Better Health in Just 10 Days!
  • Learning to Slow Down and Pay Attention: A Kid's Book about ADHD
  • Body For Life: 12 Weeks to Mental and Physical Strength
  • Staying Healthy with the Seasons: 21st-Century Edition
  • The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting
  • Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking
  • The Abs Diet: The Six-Week Plan to Flatten Your Stomach and Keep You Lean for Life
  • Healthy Aging
  • Slimmer: The New Mediterranean Way to Lose Weight
  • New Menopausal Years: The Wise Woman Way, Alternative Approaches for Women 30-90
  • Vegan Express