Start by marking “Troubled Waters (Alan Lewrie, #14)” as Want to Read:
Troubled Waters (Alan Lewrie, #14)

Troubled Waters (Alan Lewrie #14)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The fourteenth tale in Dewey Lambdin’s classic naval adventure series

Spring of 1800, and Captain Alan Lewrie, fresh from victory in the South Atlantic, is reckoned a hero on a par with Nelson in all the papers. Back in England, he’s fitting out his new frigate, HMS Savage, the fruits of that victory, the largest and best-armed frigate he’s ever commanded. But you can’t lea
Published January 8th 2008 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Troubled Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Troubled Waters

P.d.r. Lindsay

'Troubled Waters' is the 14th in a series about Alan Lewrie, now a captain in his Majesty's Navy of the late 18thC. Rollicking is the only applicable adjective. The book abounds in the zesty, hearty, uninhibited Georgian life pre the Regency. The story is a meaty adventure with lots of sword play and thoughts of sex, a truly hilarious yet horrifying look at the justice (more like injustice system) and some fascinating insights into a naval gentleman's life. Captain Lewrie is no saint, but the no
Joshua
An improvement over the previous book in the series but I am having trouble empathizing with the main character lately. In the early books of the series the protagonist, Alan Lewrie, was able to keep me turning the pages with his bold actions and amorous antics; but in the most recent installments, his character has matured, as we all should, into a thoughtful and responsible (well, more responsible than he had been) leader of men. Unfortunately, Lamdin has not provided his main character with t ...more
Patrick Elsey
This, the book before it and after it are just retreads of the earlier books, no where near as good
Stuart
Like most of the historical novels I prefer, this one's not an hysterical bodice-ripper. Hero's a rogue. Life aboard the 18th c man o' war doesn't smell so bad in the captain's quarters. And amidst the jolly fun (and occasional slaughter of the dirty - pick your enemy, but usually crapauds) you get - with the better of them -- some fascinating etymology. For instance they go to "smoak out" the French. (Not "smoke out" the terrorists.) OK, so now I have to check my dictionaries of 18th Brit slang ...more
Ron
It is not an easy read for me; however, it dose posses a certain style of interest about is pages. In order to get into reading this book use of terms, I had to read the first chapter over just to get my mind set to comprehend the writers’ jargon for the late 1800's England. I am more than 1/2 way through the book and every chapter draws me deeper into its rapture and glory. I can't wait to find out all the on going plots work themselves out.
Aspen Junge
I read the entire series largely back-to-back (my local public library is well-stocked). One of the great things about this series is that we get to watch Alan Lewrie, the main character, grow up from a callow, self-indulgent teenager to a mature, thoughtful, and responsible adult.
Eric
If read as a stand-alone book this one would be rather tedious. A lot of the book is spent on the legal problems that have culminated over time as accounted for in past books. This one moves a little slower than some of the others. The star of this book for me was Mr. Twigg.
Ehrich
Too much time spent dealing with the main character's legal troubles, and not enough time spent being a "naval adventure". It won't stop me from picking up the next book in the series when it arrives in the library, but a weaker effort in the series.
J.
Lewrie has matured a good deal by this entry in the series. plus the fact that he has to spend most of his time with his wife in this entry, limits his rantipoling that can be tiring to some readers at times.
Tara Jeanne
ah... not that interesting... hard to follow characters... didn't finish it.
Ernesto Oporto
Ernesto Oporto marked it as to-read
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Kari Salokas
Kari Salokas marked it as to-read
Brady Tomberlin
Brady Tomberlin marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Thom Swennes
Thom Swennes marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Cota Mundi
Cota Mundi marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
REDD
REDD marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Tom Veldhuis
Tom Veldhuis marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • With All Despatch (Richard Bolitho, #10)
  • Tenacious (Kydd Sea Adventures, #6)
  • Sails on the Horizon: A Novel of the Napoleonic Wars
Dewey Lambdin (1945- ) is an American nautical historical novelist. He is best known for his Alan Lewrie naval adventure series, set during the Napoleonic Wars. Besides the Alan Lewrie series, he is also the author of What Lies Buried: a novel of Old Cape Fear.

A self-proclaimed "Navy Brat," Lambdin spent a good deal of his early days on both coasts of the U.S.A., and overseas duty stations, with h
More about Dewey Lambdin...
The King's Coat (Alan Lewrie, #1) The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3) The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2) The King's Privateer (Alan Lewrie, #4) The Gun Ketch (Alan Lewrie, #5)