Start by marking “Troubled Waters (Alan Lewrie, #14)” as Want to Read:
Troubled Waters (Alan Lewrie, #14)

Troubled Waters (Alan Lewrie #14)

The fourteenth tale in Dewey Lambdin’s classic naval adventure series

Spring of 1800, and Captain Alan Lewrie, fresh from victory in the South Atlantic, is reckoned a hero on a par with Nelson in all the papers. Back in England, he’s fitting out his new frigate, HMS Savage, the fruits of that victory, the largest and best-armed frigate he’s ever commanded. But you can’t lea
Published January 8th 2008 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Troubled Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Troubled Waters

P.D.R. Lindsay

'Troubled Waters' is the 14th in a series about Alan Lewrie, now a captain in his Majesty's Navy of the late 18thC. Rollicking is the only applicable adjective. The book abounds in the zesty, hearty, uninhibited Georgian life pre the Regency. The story is a meaty adventure with lots of sword play and thoughts of sex, a truly hilarious yet horrifying look at the justice (more like injustice system) and some fascinating insights into a naval gentleman's life. Captain Lewrie is no saint, but the no
Jim
Jan 09, 2016 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: naval-fiction
I have raved in many previous reviews of the Alan Lewrie series of naval adventures that these are superbly written and great, great fun. This book is no exception.

In this book, Captain Alan Lewrie finally faces his accusers, the Beaumons of Jamaica, who want him convicted and hanged for stealing 12 of their slaves. The reader finally learns the real reason that Mr. Twigg, formerly of the Foreign Office's intelligence bureau, is so eager to defend Lewrie.

As the trial moves to recess, Lewrie and
Joshua
Jan 22, 2011 Joshua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An improvement over the previous book in the series but I am having trouble empathizing with the main character lately. In the early books of the series the protagonist, Alan Lewrie, was able to keep me turning the pages with his bold actions and amorous antics; but in the most recent installments, his character has matured, as we all should, into a thoughtful and responsible (well, more responsible than he had been) leader of men. Unfortunately, Lamdin has not provided his main character with t ...more
Stuart
Mar 14, 2008 Stuart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most of the historical novels I prefer, this one's not an hysterical bodice-ripper. Hero's a rogue. Life aboard the 18th c man o' war doesn't smell so bad in the captain's quarters. And amidst the jolly fun (and occasional slaughter of the dirty - pick your enemy, but usually crapauds) you get - with the better of them -- some fascinating etymology. For instance they go to "smoak out" the French. (Not "smoke out" the terrorists.) OK, so now I have to check my dictionaries of 18th Brit slang ...more
Ron
Oct 16, 2009 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is not an easy read for me; however, it dose posses a certain style of interest about is pages. In order to get into reading this book use of terms, I had to read the first chapter over just to get my mind set to comprehend the writers’ jargon for the late 1800's England. I am more than 1/2 way through the book and every chapter draws me deeper into its rapture and glory. I can't wait to find out all the on going plots work themselves out.
Chris Shockey
Nov 01, 2015 Chris Shockey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story, HORRIBLE PROOFING!!

Another fantastic tale of Alan Lawrie in an equally awesome series. Great fun for fans of C.S. Forester and Patrick O'Brien.
The only downside to this book is the TERRIBLE punctuation and spelling, obviously the fault of whoever prepared this book for kindle, not the author.
Sidenote for the author: Pogey Bait means candy...
Ehrich
Aug 11, 2008 Ehrich rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Too much time spent dealing with the main character's legal troubles, and not enough time spent being a "naval adventure". It won't stop me from picking up the next book in the series when it arrives in the library, but a weaker effort in the series.
Eric
Aug 30, 2012 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If read as a stand-alone book this one would be rather tedious. A lot of the book is spent on the legal problems that have culminated over time as accounted for in past books. This one moves a little slower than some of the others. The star of this book for me was Mr. Twigg.
Aspen Junge
I read the entire series largely back-to-back (my local public library is well-stocked). One of the great things about this series is that we get to watch Alan Lewrie, the main character, grow up from a callow, self-indulgent teenager to a mature, thoughtful, and responsible adult.
J.
May 17, 2011 J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lewrie has matured a good deal by this entry in the series. plus the fact that he has to spend most of his time with his wife in this entry, limits his rantipoling that can be tiring to some readers at times.
Patrick Elsey
Apr 08, 2014 Patrick Elsey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This, the book before it and after it are just retreads of the earlier books, no where near as good
Gene Hamilton
Gene Hamilton rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2017
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Idleguy
Idleguy rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2013
Anthony Robilotta
Anthony Robilotta rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Kevin O'reilly
Kevin O'reilly rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Darrell
Darrell rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Alfonso C. Betancort
Alfonso C. Betancort rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Richard A. Ramos
Richard A. Ramos rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2014
Eric Poulin
Eric Poulin rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2014
S Glenn Krochmal
S Glenn Krochmal rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2010
Jacob
Jacob rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2012
Scott Davis
Scott Davis rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2014
Brett Thomasson
Brett Thomasson rated it did not like it
May 07, 2015
Casey Mahon
Casey Mahon rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Peterandsusan
Peterandsusan rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2014
J
J rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2009
Christian
Christian rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Steven Lang
Steven Lang rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2014
  • For My Country's Freedom (Richard Bolitho, #23)
  • The Privateer's Revenge (Kydd Sea Adventures, #9)
  • Sails on the Horizon: A Novel of the Napoleonic Wars
Dewey Lambdin (1945- ) is an American nautical historical novelist. He is best known for his Alan Lewrie naval adventure series, set during the Napoleonic Wars. Besides the Alan Lewrie series, he is also the author of What Lies Buried: a novel of Old Cape Fear.

A self-proclaimed "Navy Brat," Lambdin spent a good deal of his early days on both coasts of the U.S.A., and overseas duty stations, with h
More about Dewey Lambdin...

Alan Lewrie (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The King's Coat (Alan Lewrie, #1)
  • The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2)
  • The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3)
  • The King's Privateer (Alan Lewrie, #4)
  • The Gun Ketch (Alan Lewrie, #5)
  • H.M.S. Cockerel (Alan Lewrie, #6)
  • A King's Commander (Alan Lewrie, #7)
  • Jester's Fortune (Alan Lewrie, #8)
  • King's Captain (Alan Lewrie, #9)
  • Sea of Grey (Alan Lewrie, #10)