Start by marking “Dorp Dead” as Want to Read:
Dorp Dead

Dorp Dead

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  98 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
A reissue of the novel that dramatically changed children’s literature in the 20th century.
Julia Cunningham’s ground-breaking novel, first published in 1965 and unavailable in any edition for a decade, is reissued for a whole new generation of readers to call their own. “Here . . . is the story of a boy who discovers himself, who basically comes to grips with that most con
Published 1965 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about Dorp Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dorp Dead

Nov 19, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes when I withdraw a book (for low circulation) that looks good, I read it before I put it in the Friends box. At least you got enjoyed one more time, unpopular book! I hope you find a nice new home, you weird little thing.
Ivonne Rovira
May 31, 2016 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of any age who love an atmospheric, chilling novel
I read Julia Cunningham’s classic 45 years ago and never forgot this slim, atmospheric book or its unique title. I bought the book for a reluctant reader, who has loved it — and persuaded others to read it, as well. So I decided on a re-read these many decades later.

Dorp Dead remains just as interesting, just as mysterious, just as chilling as it was when it was first released. And it has inspired me to seek out other Cunningham novels, including her National Book Award finalist The Treasure Is
Scott
Jul 08, 2007 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I first read this way back in the seventh grade. Recently I got a copy and reread it and I think I find it as bewildering a book as I did more than 25 years ago.
Ensiform
Mar 16, 2012 Ensiform rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This edition has an afterword by Betsy Hearne. Gilly Ground, an eleven-year-old orphan, is taken in by a ladder maker named Mr. Kobalt. A squat, muscular man, he runs a rigidly scheduled life based on the control of time and of others. At first, Gilly enjoys the discipline and the quiet, but soon sees the insanity and danger that lie in Kobalt.

I first read this 90-page young adult novelette when I was eleven, and admired it greatly. Now, many years later, I find it powerful still. It’s a strange
Salsabrarian
After Gilly's grandma dies, he lives in the village Home for Children. Gilly hides his intelligence and maintains a loner status, not socializing with the other kids but taking refuge in an abandoned tower. One day he learns he's been taken in by the village ladder maker, Mr. Kobalt. Mr. Kobalt maintains a precise schedule and routine, and keeps a spotless house. He expects Gilly to do the same and Gilly is quite content with it and Mr. Kobalt's loner ways. But there are cracks in Mr. Kobalt's f ...more
Magan
Dec 20, 2008 Magan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was in second grade. It is not an easy book--by any stretch of the imagination. It is dark and gritty--it is a real book. It is about a boy who is an orphan who is adopted from his orphanage by a man who seems to be bringing something good into the boy's life, but it take a dark and nasty turn when the boy realizes that he's not a boy, but a slave. The boy, along with the man's dog, make an amazing, harrowing and dangerous escape.

Highly recommended.
Nicole
Jan 17, 2008 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked it up from my mom's 3rd grade class. I loved the language, every sentence had impact and was important to the story. Nothing wasted. The imagery is so concrete and vivid. The foreshadowing was well done, but I was still kept guessing as to how it turns out. Kind of dark which is why it is often passed over in schools.
Ken
Jul 29, 2012 Ken rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, childrens
This is one of those books that has been on my bookshelf since I was a young boy and I finally got around to reading it. I never expected such a dark tale of an orphan who goes to a foster home, only to find himself living with a madman bent on unspeakable acts.
Edy
Jul 20, 2011 Edy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dorp Dead is the moving story of a young orphan who is sent to live with a mentally-ill man. A little book but packed with emotion.

(I read this novel in the 70s when I was taking an adolescent lit. class. The critique came from one I did for the class.)
'menna Ali ッ
Actually it deserves 3.5.. and at last it succeeded to be a spine-tingling horror story.
I love that misspelled part.. it was a shock and I kept laughing at myself also I examined my sister to see that I'm not the only fool one there xD
I love DOGS <3
David Wolowsky
I remember liking this book but it was a long time ago. I can't remember many details though so I'll leave it a three stars.
Lala Hulse
May 21, 2008 Lala Hulse rated it really liked it
My memories of this book are very vague, but I know I read it at least a dozen times in grade school. I'm pretty sure the edition I had had some good illustrations, too.
Kelly Dunn
This book took an interesting twist at the end, which made the ending kind of depressing. But it was still an enjoyable short read.
Camille
Jan 02, 2013 Camille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juv-fiction
i remember finding this book while in elementary school and just loving it. it was one of my favorites all through high school.
Jessica
Jul 06, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first dark fiction. It's been 36 years and I remember this story well.
Robert
A little short and weird.
Erin
Oct 09, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark. Loved it.
Candiebarr
Candiebarr is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2016
Debmiagoldstein
Debmiagoldstein rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Gumby
Gumby rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Henry
Henry marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Samantha Wallace
Samantha Wallace marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Lindy
Lindy rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
S
S added it
Nov 09, 2015
Mike
Mike added it
Oct 18, 2015
Alana S
Alana S marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Julia
Julia rated it it was ok
May 17, 2016
Dr H
Dr H rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
On October 4, 1916 in Spokane, Washington, Julia Cunningham was born. Julia went to school for a short time in Virginia. She was an editor and held various other jobs before writing children's and young adult books. The Vision of Francois the Fox, Ms. Cunningham's first book, was published in 1960, followed by Viollet (1966), The Treasure is the Rose (1973), and Tuppeny (1978).

Her book, Dorp Dead
More about Julia Cunningham...