Start by marking “Fish! Tales” as Want to Read:
Fish! Tales

Fish! Tales

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  768 ratings  ·  53 reviews
This follow up to Fish! offers case-studies of how companies are applying the fish philosophy to meet their unique goals and needs. The book features four real-life stories of the fish principle in action - to help you reel in new possibilities in the workplace - and four short chapters, also from actual organizations, on the four principles of the fish philosophy. Using a ...more
Paperback
Published May 1st 2003 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fish! Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fish! Tales

K.D. Absolutely
This book is a lot better than its predecessor. I think the reason is that the 3 authors of the first book decided to hire an experienced writer: Philip Strand who wrote the bulk of the book and did interviews with the companies that are using - and more importantly experienced success in using - the Fish! philosophy.

Fish! Tales concretizes the theories presented in the first book. Fish! philosophy is composed of four common-sense beliefs. I would like to group these beliefs into two: intrinsic
Greg
This is a sequel to Fish! A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results, in which the authors provide both extended and shorter real-life accounts that illustrate the key points they made in their first book. It is intended as a stand alone volume, so the principles are repeated, though not in as much depth as in the first book. It's short and sweet and simple, but my experience has been the the simple things in life are often the best.

Their stories (and accompanying commentary) focus on
Sulaiman ALR
Exactly as the title indicates, the book contains 4 stories of how eating fish makes you healthier, stronger and able to concentrate… (just kidding :-D).
The book talks about how the FISH! Philosophy transformed the lives of people at 4 organisations and made them more satisfied, which boosted morale and contributed to the satisfaction of customers. It also contains some short stories, which the authors call "small bites"! (I like the name)
The first story talks about how play was implemented in
Sheryl
This book challenges the reader to go out of the box and be master of his/her work universe. Since we spend so much time at work, this was an insightful and refreshing read for me. A good boost and timely reminder to being the difference one wants to see.

Basically, the four principles advocated by the book are:

Play - Play and work can coexist. Playing at work means creating a fun and enjoyable working atmosphere geared towards creativity and productivity. In putting the fun element to ones work
Cathy Allen
This is a great idea for a book. When you start hearing from people who tried out the ideas from your first book and were successful, collect up their stories, flesh out your theories, and publish the whole ball of wax together. Wonderful.

I like the way the authors organized the book. They took the "tales" of those who implemented the FISH! philosophy and turned dozens of them into one- and two-paragraph testimonials of success. People from all kinds of organizations described what they tried an
Michael
My wife Judith listened to this book and came away encouraged after every listening. This book's topic is to transform your workplace by learning from and following the example of some Seattle fishmongers. It's illustrated with a variety of examples of how different workplaces (auto mechanic shop, hospital, Sprint call center, roofing company) have put the Fish philosophy into practice. It's an especially good read if you're in management and can introduce this way of thinking to your group or u ...more
Debbie Williams
Fish Tales was a good follow-up to Fish. It tells the stories of different, real life businesses and how they were transformed by implementing the Fish philosophies of Play, Make their day, be there, and choose your attitude. The book includes a 12-week, step-by-step process, of how to change your ideas and be a force of positive change in the work place. It was challenging to complete the excercises and focus on their suggested ideas for improvement.
Tania
A friend loaned me this book because she thought I might be interested in it. It didn't live up to my expectations, although it did have a few good points.

There are three things I liked about this book. First, the principles, if a bit simplistic and basic, are still sound ones. Second, the authors wrote the book in a way that I wasn't lost even though I hadn't read the first book in the series. And last, some of the activities in the second half of the book might be useful for some people.

I pe
Marsha
This was a stronger book than was Fish!, with more useful ideas.
Jen Beard-Mueller
Classic book to fire up your team as the do great things!
Joanne
Fun and easy to read with good lessons.
Wilton314
This book is brilliant. It should be mandatory reading for anyone who goes to work, particularly those who wish to be the manager or to lead, for anyone who looks after groups of kids or just wants to get the most out of people - so pretty everyone. How can something so profound be so simple? Similar to Fish! before it, the One Minute Manager series and Who Moved My Cheese, this book is short enough to read in one or two sittings but has a message that has stuck with me ever since. Read them all ...more
Ankush Agrawal
Hmm though I havent read FISH, this book doesnt make me feel one bit ignorant about it. Completely standalone book. Lovely read. Fuller reveiw on my blog soon
Rickey
The stories of how successful companies and departments actually applied these four "fish principles" brought me to this book. There are also exercises at the end of the book that seemed interesting. However, they seemed common-sensical and seemed like things I've already tried. I will continue to try to apply these principles and may dip back in for ideas now and then.
Mark Terry
These tales of applying the Fish! philosophy follow the original tale. Four in-depth examples are each paired with a number of vignettes. The examples provide some real life flavor to the fable in the original book, but don't resonate as well. I found it a valuable refresher since it has been a LOT of years since I first encountered Fish!, but it fell a bit flat.
Aaron Raphael
As I read the testimonies of successful companies that have implemented the FISH! philosophy, I'm constantly reminded of the need to choose your attitude when facing challenges and the need to provide a sincere and present customer experience. Sometimes the basics are all we need to succeed and we take them for granted.
Jordan Dossett
This clever little book is an amazing follow up to FISH. It is full of delightful stories that all I can tell you without offering any spoilers is that a company philosophy and plan came from the book. BUY OUR CLIENTS A DR. PEPPER. It is a great and quick read and I recommend it to everyone, not just business folks.
Maria
Wonderful book on workplace wisdom. Some parts sound corny...but the ideas presented really work. One of the stories is about the famous fish market at Seattle's Pike Place Market. I've been there and just watching them work and serve people fish is an art form! Easy read. Highly recommended.
Marilyn
I wanted to like this book. I believe in the Fish! philosophy--it's positive and upbaat. This book created a fictitious family as a vehicle through which to disseminate the information. Too didactic. Too canned. The quality of their conversations was dull! I'm glad I only paid $3 for this.
Cindy
This book has ideas on how to change attitudes in the workplace. I need to be more light-hearted, and to change my kids' attitudes about work. The stories gave me ideas how to teach my kids how to decide their attitude each day. This is a quick read, and worth the time.
Shonna Froebel
Really good, much better than I thought.
I am already doing some of this and realizing where I need work in some areas.
I am trying to make people's day.
I am not always in the moment, but I am recognizing that more often.
Unlearning some of those habits isn't easy
Araf
It's funny the review say it's a fictional place of work, it was originally based on a fish stall in Seattle, which I had been to before I had read the book purely by coincidence! And they were having fun at work.
Martha Luna
Me gusto mucho la propuesta FISH! sencilla de poner en práctica en cualquier ambito ya sea profesional o personal. Excelentes ejemplos y que llevan a la motivación y superación individual y/o en equipo.
Arpit Sood
A easy to read quite interesting book... really helpful . With the help of the simple principles explained it books a person can make his life very meaningful....!!
Sharon
A quick read about how to view mundane experiences and make them exceptional, specifically in the workplace, but could easily be applied to other life facets.
Joe O'c
Excellent; real life examples and how to make the following concepts work for you: choosing your attitude, play, making others' day, being present
Lauren
The stories offered are inspiring and the end of the book has a twelve-week exercise to try out the FISH! Philosophy for yourself.
Chade66
Not as good as when fish fly, but not bad either. You should either read Fish! or When fish fly before you read this one.
James Pritchert
Jul 22, 2015 James Pritchert rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Who deals in customer service.
Recommended to James by: Stephen Lundeen
Interesting customers service related book. If you have read Fish by Stephen Lundin, then this is the next step for you.
Kate
I read this book when I really needed a boost with my job and a change of attitude. It helped and has some great ideas.
  • Whale Done!: The Power of Positive Relationships
  • The Carrot Principle: How the Best Managers Use Recognition to Engage Their People, Retain Talent, and Accelerate Performance
  • The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • 1001 Ways to Reward Employees
  • Real Estate Loopholes: Secrets of Successful Real Estate Investing
  • The Nordstrom Way: The Inside Story of America's #1 Customer Service Company
  • Heroes: From Alexander the Great & Julius Caesar to Churchill & de Gaulle
  • The Thin Book of Appreciative Inquiry (Thin Book Series)
  • The 3rd Alternative: Solving Life's Most Difficult Problems
  • Hug Your Customers: STILL The Proven Way to Personalize Sales and Achieve Astounding Results
  • Never Check E-Mail In the Morning: And Other Unexpected Strategies for Making Your Work Life Work
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • Authentic Leadership: Rediscovering the Secrets to Creating Lasting Value
  • When Fish Fly: Lessons for Creating a Vital and Energized Workplace from the World Famous Pike Place Fish Market
  • The Adversity Advantage: Turning Everyday Struggles Into Everyday Greatness
  • The Why of Work: How Great Leaders Build Abundant Organizations That Win
  • I Am Potential: Eight Lessons on Living, Loving, and Reaching Your Dreams
Fish!: A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results Fish! Sticks: A Remarkable Way to Adapt to Changing Times and Keep Your Work Fresh Fish! For Life: A Remarkable Way to Achieve Your Dreams Fish!: Omnibus Top Performer: A Bold Approach to Sales and Service