Start by marking “Man of Two Worlds” as Want to Read:
Man of Two Worlds

Man of Two Worlds

What if the entire universe were the creation of alien minds? After an unfortunate spaceship accident, the hedonistic human Lutt Hansen Jr., finds himself sharing his body and mind with a naive alien dreamer. The two have to survive dangers, schemes and assassination attempts . . . but can they survive each other?
Published October 1st 1987 by Ace (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Man of Two Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man of Two Worlds

Temani Aldine
Mar 02, 2012 Temani Aldine rated it it was amazing
Unlike everyone else here, I really loved this book. I have read it at several times of transition in my life. As an African-American growing up and going to college in the Midwest, the title caught my attention. I liked the character development, from that persoective. Later, I felt that the Herberts were prophetic about the growing susceptibility of our political system and public opinion to manipulation by those with significant resources. There were also some interesting metaphors about the ...more
Bobby
Sep 07, 2008 Bobby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardcore Herbert fans
Shelves: fantasy-sf
In "Man of Two Worlds," an collaboration of minds between Frank Herbert of Dune fame and his son Brian Herbert, I found both pleasure and disappointment.

For anybody who's read Dune, they know Frank Herbert is capable of creating worlds and universes that are staggering in their complexity, economic focus, and mood.

But it's like Frank and Brian got together, created world(s), chose a plot, and purposely melded a serious universe with serious ideas onto unserious characters. All the characters in
Bruno Silva
Mar 12, 2017 Bruno Silva rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, contos, short-story
Uma engraçada colaboração pai filho que originou um livro com um estilo distinto dos 2 mas bastante divertido de ler.
Um livro sobre a fusão de um terreno com um Dreen que tem a capacidade de idmaginar coisas. O hilariante é esse terreno ser filho de um milionário ambicioso e controlador no planeta Terra e isso representar um jogo de quem consegue controlar quem no final.
Ellie
May 10, 2007 Ellie rated it it was ok
The whole time I was reading this book I couldn’t figure out whether I liked it, and then I couldn’t even really understand the ending, and I’m still not sure if I liked it. It’s certainly very different, and not as good as, Dune, but I didn’t expect them to be the same. The story is that there are these creatures called Dreens who live on the planet Dreenor, and everything in the universe is the result of their “idmaging,” which is creating things from the protoplasmic essence of the universe. ...more
Jason
Aug 09, 2011 Jason rated it did not like it
I picked up this book hoping to further my appreciation of Frank Herbert's writing, but instead what I found was a Brian Herbert book. I read his book The Race for God which is a better story than this one but is still pretty typical. I've noticed the contrast between Brian Herbert' writing and his father's writing mostly in his continuation of the Dune series. Where his father's writing is deadly serious, imaginative and thoughtful, Brian Herbert's writings tends towards satire and a constant m ...more
Nur
Apr 23, 2011 Nur marked it as to-read
I'm keeping this on hold - given the heightened insanity of my schedule these last few weeks, it has been tough reading Man of Two Worlds (not as Dune-like as I hoped, too geeky to keep up with) and Silmarillion (beautifully written, truly mesmerizing, but the names are as frequent as in the Old Testament and the story is a little slow) but I'm leaving my bookmarks in them for the future lol - for now, Middlemarch! I'll come back to these two when I have more time in the summer, I hope!
Paul
Dec 19, 2007 Paul rated it liked it
An enjoyable read but i honestly think that this book was way over my head when i read it (early twenties.) i should re-read it now. i think i'm at least 25% wiser. ;-)

The plotting and characters are pretty out-there sci/fi. Probably too much symbolism and allegory for a young and inexperienced mind.

Now, Frank Herbert gets the credit for writing this but from what i remember, i don't have the book any more, he had a co-writer.

Deathburst
Plaisant à lire, mais décevant sur la fin. Pas de réelle évolution du protagoniste principal, un personnage quasi-divin qui manipule les évènements en arrière plan, et pas vraiment de suspense à aucun moment.
Tout est trop facile. Ce serait de la bonne littérature de gare si ce n'était pas si long.
Tobin
May 06, 2009 Tobin rated it it was ok
Frank Herbert's style is obvious in this book. This book is the only reason I ever thought that Brian Herbert might have something worthy to add to the Dune universe- I was wrong. I don't know what Brian contributed to this book but the caliber is far above that of the Dune books he is currently cranking out.
Bria
Dec 14, 2010 Bria rated it it was ok
There were many aspects of it I could find commendable, such as an advanced alien race with its own particular shortcomings or non-hero, non-admirable protagonists, but it still ended up easily forgettable.
Francisco Barichivich
Aug 14, 2015 Francisco Barichivich rated it it was amazing
Un manjar
Kim
Jun 16, 2009 Kim rated it did not like it
What a LOUSY ending. I love Frank Herbert but this book was horrible. Underdeveloped plot, way too many loose-ends, totally disappointing.
Don
May 19, 2008 Don rated it really liked it
Fun story to read. Interesting take about responsibility for our creativity not only as a society but individually as well.
Tom
Nov 22, 2011 Tom rated it liked it
If you have the patience to slog through the first half of this book, you'll enjoy the rest of it.
Marianne
Dec 07, 2008 Marianne rated it liked it
Shelves: gone, sci-fi
Suitably interesting shape-shifting aliens visiting a mostly-unsuspecting near-future Earth. Chaos ensues. Not a fantastic Herbert book, but a decent ride.
Christian Kallias
Jul 18, 2015 Christian Kallias rated it really liked it
Read it when I was an adolescent (and in French back then), and really loved the concept and story. I thought it was a great book with some pacing issues but overall really a great read.
Richard Gombert
Sep 12, 2012 Richard Gombert rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012
Man what a weird, strange, dis-jointed, non-contiguous book!

No cohesive plot. Characters doing really weird things, for no apparent reason.

Bad, Bad, Bad.
Lauchlin
Dec 06, 2013 Lauchlin marked it as to-read
Shelves: sci-fi
Andrew Rogers
Andrew Rogers rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Frank L
Frank L rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2011
Gareth D.
Gareth D. rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Walter Herrick
Walter Herrick rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2010
Marshalll Vance
Marshalll Vance rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Topher
Nov 09, 2012 Topher added it
Original and funny!
Bob R Bogle
Bob R Bogle rated it did not like it
Apr 16, 2012
Matt Thomas
Matt Thomas rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2011
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2014
McCabe
McCabe rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2012
Robair
Robair rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Timothy
Timothy rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2013
Dune Fanatics: Man Of Two Worlds 2 13 May 01, 2016 11:40PM
  • The Battles of Dune
  • The Race for God
  • Dangerous Visions 3
  • Tangents
  • Pandora's Genes (The Pandora's Trilogy) (Volume 1)
  • Lace and Blade
  • Mortal Engines
  • The Dune Encyclopedia
  • Law of Survival (Jani Kilian Chronicles, Book 3)
  • The Time Machine and Other Stories
  • Dark of the Gods (Kencyrath, #1-2)
  • True Blood (True Series, #1)
  • Dayworld Rebel (Dayworld #2)
  • Way of the Pilgrim
  • Galactic Empires 2
  • Metaplanetary
  • Great Sky River (Galactic Center, #3)
Frank Herbert was a critically acclaimed and commercially successful American science fiction author.

He is best known for the novel Dune and its five sequels. The Dune saga, set in the distant future and taking place over millennia, dealt with themes such as human survival and evolution, ecology, and the intersection of religion, politics, and power, and is widely considered to be among the classi
More about Frank Herbert...