Start by marking “In Search of Genghis Khan: An Exhilarating Journey on Horseback Across the Steppes of Mongolia” as Want to Read:

Following the collapse of nearly seventy years of Communist rule, veteran writer and traveler Tim Severin went to Mongolia -to see how much of the tradtional way of life survived.- He discovered a country in an uncertain state of transition and struggling with its newfound identity. Part travelogue and part historical recreation of the legendary journey of the barbaric Mon ...more
Published July 14th 2003 by Cooper Square Press (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about In Search of Genghis Khan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Search of Genghis Khan

Daren
This is not a standard Tim Severin book. Normally a sea voyage, where a third of the book is his research and preparation, often the construction of a boat using historic means.
In this book, Severin has tried to plan a horseback journey in Mongolia, but has received no response, and by chance is invited to Ulan Batuur as a guest lecturer, where he takes up the opportunity to seek further information on his planned journey. Instead he is invited to join an ambitious expedition to ride from Erenzu
Quo
Jul 26, 2016 Quo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking for some insight on Genghis Khan & Mongolia as I prepared to travel to Mongolia for the annual Naadam Festival and then spend an additional 8 days exploring the landscapes beyond the capital of Ulaanbaatar, I grabbed In Search of Genghis Khan: An Exhilarating Journey on Horseback Across the Steppes of Mongolia from a travel-related shelf at my local library & slipped it into my duffel. I was very impressed with the list of books author Tim Severin has authored, detailing various ...more
Karlan
Aug 17, 2008 Karlan rated it really liked it
After reading Iggulden's novels and seeing the film, Mongol, I finally read Severin's 16 year old book. His travels in Mongolia are fascinating, and now I need to learn what has happened in Mongolia more recently.
Theresa
Mar 26, 2016 Theresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ll-book
Such a disappointment. This is a fascinating subject uncovered during an exciting expedition in Mongolia but it the book is marred by a lack of structure. If you have trouble sleeping then this might just help.
Mary Soderstrom
Jun 06, 2013 Mary Soderstrom rated it liked it
Earlier I said I'd be posting about road books: at the time I was thinking of novels of quest and self-discovery. But in the last few weeks I've also read three entertaining, informative (and in one case extremely thought-provoking) books about road trips.

The first is relatively recent: Taras Grescoe's Straphanger. Published in 2012, its subtitle might seem in conflict with the idea of a road book: "Saving our cities and ourselves from the automobile." But Grescoe roamed the world to look at the
Kenny
Aug 28, 2014 Kenny rated it liked it
This is good. A travelogue of Severin's journey as part of a trip to commemorate Ghengis Khan in Mongolia in the early 1990s, just after the fall of the USSR. This must have been one of the earliest travel books to appear on the back of this, and already will be as much historical as travel. He writes well on the pieces of history (mainly Ghengis Khan and his legacy) with some good sketches of people and places. As well as the frustrations of post-communist bureaucracy. Difficult to find anythin ...more
Claudia
Mar 10, 2012 Claudia rated it it was amazing
An amazing book. Tim Severin not only re-traced Genghis Khan's route from Mongolia his conquests, but searched for vestiges of Genghis in contemporary Mongolia. He found the spirit of Genghis alive and well. Despite decades of Soviet domination, Mongolians are recovering their sense of national identity and reviving their culture. Genghis is once again being honored and remembered as the force that united "those who live in felt tents".
Tad Crawford
Nov 25, 2012 Tad Crawford rated it liked it
This is a fascinating book if you're interested in the author's 1990 journey across Mongolia in search of connections to Genghis Khan. However, I should have taken the title more seriously--"In Search of . . ."--since I wanted a thorough biography of Genghis Khan. This book is more about Mongolia after the fall of the Iron Curtain and, fascinating as that may be, it can't substitute for a biography.
April
Jan 07, 2016 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Severin's writing is great as always, but it was disappointing that he wasn't in charge of the planning of this particular trip as the preparations are always some of my favorite bits, though the reasons why are understandable given the situation. Really enjoyed the latter parts of this book the most once they had struck out on their own.
MikeFromQueens
Mar 25, 2011 MikeFromQueens rated it really liked it
I liked this book. Not very dense, but a nice read and enough Mongolian history with Genghis Kahn to enlighten me. I learned their strike tactics were all about speed, horses were small, and no quarter was given. Enough details to paint a good picture.
Bryn Hammond
Oct 12, 2012 Bryn Hammond rated it liked it
Shelves: steppe-travel
It's decent. Fair amount of information/description. Nothing wrong with it.
Gordon Love
Apr 07, 2013 Gordon Love rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
Tim Severin writes a compelling tale set around his travels across Mongolia in the footsteps of the Great Khan. Educational, definitely, but also very enjoyable as a straightforward read.
Trevor
Trevor rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2014
Beatrix
Beatrix rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Jon
Jon rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
William
William rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2009
Carl
Carl rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2012
phil
phil rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Brad
Brad rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2012
Johnette
Johnette rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2015
Karen Johnson
Karen Johnson rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Myra L Rice
Apr 04, 2017 Myra L Rice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genghis Khan Leader of the Mongols

Very interesting and well written account of finding information about Genghis Khan! Of interest to me was the Chinese writings about Khan, the writings of the western priest, and the visit to the Shamaness! Great book!
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Sattva
Sattva rated it did not like it
Feb 02, 2016
Byambakhuu Darinchuluun
Byambakhuu Darinchuluun rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2012
Klaas Dijkstra
Klaas Dijkstra rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2015
  • A Journey in Ladakh: Encounters with Buddhism
  • Off the Map: Bicycling Across Siberia
  • Off The Rails
  • Life along the Silk Road
  • In the Empire of Genghis Khan: An Amazing Odyssey Through the Lands of the Most Feared Conquerors in History
  • Old Glory: A Voyage Down the Mississippi
  • The Carpet Wars: From Kabul to Baghdad: A Ten-Year Journey Along Ancient Trade Routes
  • Chasing the Sea: Lost Among the Ghosts of Empire in Central Asia
  • Trail of Feathers: In Search of the Birdmen of Peru
  • Kublai Khan: The Mongol King Who Remade China
  • Chasing the Monsoon
  • The Darkest Jungle: The True Story of the Darien Expedition and America's Ill-Fated Race to Connect the Seas
Tim Severin is a British explorer, historian and writer. Severin is noted for his work in retracing the legendary journeys of historical figures. Severin was awarded both the Gold Medal of the Royal Geographical Society and the Livingstone Medal of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society. He received the Thomas Cook Travel Book Award for his 1982 book The Sindbad Voyage.

He was born Timothy Severin
More about Tim Severin...