Start by marking “A Beacon of Hope (The Sixth World of Men, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Beacon of Hope (The Sixth World of Men, #1)

A Beacon of Hope (The Sixth World of Men #1)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  36 reviews

While the world known as Kosundo by its inhabitants goes about its usual business, an ancient prophesy ominously predicts that the time of the soulless has come. Then, a mysterious man lurks about a secret ci
Perfect Paperback, 368 pages
Published November 9th 2010 by Tate Publishing & Enterprises

To ask other readers questions about A Beacon of Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Beacon of Hope

Mary
I wasn't planning on writing a review for this book, but after reading a recent review I felt that I should. The writing style of this book gave me pause when I first began to read it. The style is different from the traditional style of modern literature. It's very simple and straight forward.
Then I began to understand what the author was trying to accomplish. It was like the characters themselves were telling the story. The style that Agap tells the story is different than the style that Temeo
Larry
I also read the original version of A Beacon of Hope. This revised edition is better. It has scences that were cut out of the original version making the book flow beautifully. Whether you like fantasy or not, if you like a wonderfully original and intriguing story, this book is a must-read.
Andrew
I've never read a book that is written so simply, yet has the depth that A Beacon of Hope has. I got a pre-release copy of the book from the preview website for the series(www.sixthworldpreview.com). It didn't take long to read. I found myself reading along quickly because of the pace of the book. I re-read the book and found little bits and pieces of the story that I missed the first time.

It's has an interesting story, but the thing I really like is the pace of the book. It doesn't bog you down
Rebecca Unger
I don't generally review or even read fantasies, but after reading the revised editions of volumes one, two and three of The Sixth World of Men by Walter E. Mark, I found that I was absolutely absorbed in the story. The first book of this long epic series was quite good for a beginning volume, but the second and third volumes were what sold me on this series. I found myself intrigued and fascinated by the story, and the characters sprang off the pages. I can imagine that these characters will gr ...more
Wendy
A Beacon of Hope has a little bit of everything that I like in a book. It has mystery and intrigue mixed with some romance. It has believable science and technology that is just a little bit ahead of our own. The writing style moves along and captivates your attention.

The characters seem real. You get the feeling that you know someone just like certain characters. The people of Kosundo come to life in your mind and it is easy to relate to their stories.

The characters also leave you no choice but
Rachel Thompson
I received this book through the Good Reads First Reads program.

I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if the quality of writing was higher. The plot was good, although I much preferred the events towards the end of the book, because I think that's when things started getting interesting. But I just couldn't overlook the constant repetitive wording, or the many typos and grammatical errors. Since I'm a writer myself, I might judge these things harsher than other readers, but it was difficult
Kay Cower
Dec 03, 2011 Kay Cower rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a good story and interesting characters
Wonderful book! I cannot wait to read more novels written by Walter E. Mark. What an immensely satisfyng read! The book has the feel of an adventure, the mystery of a mystery, the wonder of a fantasy and the gadgets of a science fiction novel. In short, it has something for nearly everyone who likes a good wholesome adventure. The book is suitable for older children, yet has enough excitement and intrigue to keep an adult engrossed as well.
Jody
I really liked the original version and was worried what this revised version might be, but first my fears were put to rest and then I was overwhelmed by the newness that this book achieves without altering the base storyline. A wonderful revision. You get the idea that this book was what Walter E. Mark wanted the original version to be.
George
Loved this book! It has lots of wonder, intrigue and even a touch of humor. The characters are believable as is the plot and the world. This is one writer who takes the time to get things right. You don't have to stop and scratch your head and wonder why a character would do something or how the fantasy elements works. Great Job!!
Lou
Nice! Anything I say won't do this book justice so I'll just say, you gotta read this book!
Kim
What a really good book!
It began with several different scenes and settings which were gradually brought together to create the bigger picture, the "beginning of end times" as prophesied in this sixth world's holy text; it's analogous to some of the stories we read which explore what might happen if Earth's end times were to begin coming to fruition. The reader really got to know the characters, enough so that he/she is concerned about their futures when the impending big event happens -- which
Allan Fisher
Score 8.9

On the surface, the sixth world of men is a glorious world. It is a world of great technological advancement. It is a world that has been at peace for a hundred years. While the world known as Kosundo by its inhabitants goes about its usual business, an ancient prophesy ominously predicts that the time of the soulless has come.

This is Walter E Mark’s first novel in an estimated decology, which will see Paths of Intimate Contention, and The Beginning of Sorrows published in the next year
Kim Cunder
A marvelous beginning to an epic fantasy.

I love the visual nature of the writing, it drew me in at the Prologue. The characters are real, not plastic as in some fantasies that I've read. There is humor embedded in the dialogue and actions of the characters, but it's not overdone. It's just enough to make you smile every so often, unless you're prone to being especially jolly, then it might make you laugh out loud. (My sister is one of those people.)

The story paints a what-if end time scenario u
Erin Friend
To use the vernacular of Kosundo, Bumvoce Walter E. Mark! What a drus read! Erith! I didn't know that books like this one were written anymore!

Now that I have that out of my system, I'll explain why I feel this way. The book is simple to read and will appeal to casual readers, but the book is DEEP! I see so many deeply entrenched parallels in this book that it bears some resemblance to The Lord of the Rings. There, I said it.

Now, hear me out before you chastize me. I counted seven major lines of
Jon
Mar 05, 2011 Jon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
Let me start out the review stating, it is never good in any circumstance to heighten your hopes for a book/movie before you read/watch it as chances are, your expectations for the book will fall short. I did that with this book, seeing a 4.6 rating on Goodreads and thinking it must be close to the invention of sliced bread. I think I may have enjoyed it a bit more otherwise.

For future readers of the book, keep this in mind. The author does have different writing styles for various characters in
Steven Douglas
A Beacon of Hope is my kind of book. It moves along although it's a set up book. I liked the simple style. I suppose that if your used to more wordy styles, this fresh style will catch you off-guard. Yet, this unassuming style let me go along with the characters as a whole world is set up before your eyes. There is just the right amount of detail to allow me to imagine the world and the characters without bogging down the story. In addition, the style emphasized the innocency of some of the char ...more
Wendy

The characters also leave you no choice but
Marc
If you don't care for books with multiple sub plots, then this book might not be your cup of tea. But...if you love a simple style combined with a great plot that includes a great deal of intrigue, then this is definitey up your alley.
This series promises to be a memorable one. A Beacon of Hope sets up this series beautifully. There are numerous subplots, but they are tied together masterfully. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more subplots to come.
The book is writtten simply, yet with an i
Swantje
I received this book as a First Reads lucky winner!

I'm glad that I entered the drawing and got to read the book. The people in the story live on a different planet, but their society is similar enough to ours that I could relate to it well, but different enough to make it really interesting. There are many technological advances that enhance their quality of life (I love the one where you can create the interior design of your room buy just pointing and selecting using a computer interface, I wo
Steve Rogers
I couldn't help but chuckle at a couple of the reviews listed here that talked about the grammar in the book. First, the grammar is better than a lot of fiction that I've read. Second, any obvious grammar miscues are more the responsibility of the publisher than the author. Third, sometimes grammar miscues are purposely made because a particular character's grammar isn't perfect.
With that off my chest, let me tell you why I gave this book five stars. A Beacon of Hope is brilliantly original. It
George
Although A Beacon of Hope started out a bit slow for me, I found the plot that was being developed fascinating. I began to feel the uncertainty of the characters and the intrigue of the plot in the fourth chapter and it just kept building as the book went along.

Walter E. Mark lists the second book of the series,Paths of Intimate Contention, in his profile. I can't wait until that book becomes available.
Larry
Best book that I've read in quite while. Only book that I've read recently that I've given 5 stars.

The world that this book places you in is amazing. The world if similar enough to our world that the differences in flora, fauna, technology and customs stand out, giving you a deep understanding of the world and its characters.

The book moves along so quickly that I finished it in two days...I don't do that.

My only regret is that the book was not longer. I can't wait for the next book.

By the way, t
Sue Diandi
Jul 17, 2011 Sue Diandi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like engaging book series
I've read the first three books of the series and I am an avid fan. This first book is a table-setter, so it doesn't have the excitement of the other books of the series. Still, it's extremely interesting.

I've follow the series very closely via the newsletter and the official website of The Sixth World of Men. Walter E Mark held a book signing event near my hometown of Mt. Zion, Illinois and I came away very impressed with the man. He is not only a good author, he is a good man. I am proud to le
Mike
I admit that I am giving this book five stars because of the potential of the series. This is a series I can see myself being absolutely immersed in.

The book itself is solid though. It's a world that is earth but not earth. The book has intrigue upon intrigue and I believe the series promises a lot of action. At the same time, this is a thoughtful book, yet not heavy. It is simply written but the fact adds to the believability of the story. The more I think of it. I think the five stars are meri
David Schwan
I received this as a free book through Goodreads First Reads.

A story about a coming war between numerous continents. There is a human-like creature that was thought dead in a gene splicing lab, a mad emperor that creates a secret weapon, and may not be mad after all. Lot's of spies for the various factions, and a large underwater city built by a peaceful (think Swiss) society.

This book sets up the storyline for future books in the series.

Lot's of intrigue.
Mike Swanson
Although this series is not really a Christian series in the purest sense, it is a series that a Christian can read without any regrets. In fact, some of the characters are downright inspiring.
I heartily recommend this series to anyone who is searching for a read that delivers great entertainment without any tinge of guilt.
Nona
The book moves along quite well even in the discriptions. The characters are unforgettable and the plot keeps me guessing. The author knows how to keep a reader interested,there is no dull moment in this book. Generally I enjoy reading mystery and horror, but I'm very excited to read more of this series.
Darlene Thompson
Great book! I can't wait to read more books in this series, specifically the revised versions of volumes two and three that are supposed to be out soon. This being the first book of the series is a set up book, but it's filled with enough intrigue to make you yearn for the action that is set up by it.
Vivienne Millward
I took a while to get into this but then - wow! Once I stopped worrying about the pronunciation of the various quirky and clever names, and stopped trying to relate it to our "real world" I was so gripped that I read and read until the end and "oh no" I don't have the next one!
Howie
I wasn't sure that I was going to like this book very much until I reached chapter four. The pace of the book picked up there and I was mezmorized. The book is the first book of an epic series, so you have to give it a chance. I was very glad I gave it a chance.
  • Strange Men in Pinstripe Suits & Other Curious Things
  • The Great Collapse (Survivors of the Pulse, #1)
  • Dante's Journey
  • Stained Glass Monsters (Eferum, #1)
  • Son of Ereubus (Guardians of Legend, #1)
  • Time's Edge (Time's Edge, #1)
  • A New Birth of Freedom: The Visitor
  • Emerald (World of Samar, #1)
  • Progeny (The Children of the White Lions, #1)
  • Songbird
  • Caught In Time: Alysian Universe (Alysian Series #1)
  • The Noble Ones
  • The Mission (Worlds Without End, #1)
  • The Chosen (Portals of Destiny #1)
  • Mail Order Cowboy (Brides of Simpson Creek, #1)
  • Children of the Lost (The Agora Trilogy #2)
  • Orion
  • Wayward Son
Walter E. Mark was raised in central Ohio.
A graduate of Malone College in Canton, Ohio and of Massilon Baptist College in Massillon, Ohio, he holds a masters degree in Education and a bachelors degree in English. Formerly a high school teacher of twenty years, he and his wife Wendy now live in New Boston, Michigan where he is employed as a computer technician. They have a daughter and a son.
Walte
More about Walter E. Mark...
Paths of Intimate Contention (The Sixth World of Men, #2) The Beginning of Sorrows (The Sixth World of Men, #3)