Start by marking “Genghis Khan” as Want to Read:
Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This is an account of the early life of Genghis Khan, considered to be the most fearsome warrior of all time. The book covers the young Khan's daring conquests up until his elevation as Ruler of the Steppes in 1206. There are also genealogical tables tracing the familial descent of Genghis Khan.
Published April 17th 2000 by Cooper Square Publishers (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Genghis Khan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genghis Khan

Richp
Apr 08, 2015 Richp rated it really liked it
I was the author's intention to write a biography of Ghengis Khan's early life and rise to power that was both true to the best historical sources and readable to the general public. I cannot comment on accuracy, but Lister did a very good job of turning this into a highly readable story. I enjoyed this a lot.

While I agree all the names are sometimes confusing, it is a characteristic of a good biography of a major historical person because they are important. Between the index and the genealogy
Ó Ruairc
R.P. Lister based this book upon "The Secret History of the Mongols," a Mongol chronicle written in 1240, thirteen years after the great Khan himself gave up the ghost. All told, R.P. manages a decent job re-writing an account of the early life of Genghis Khan; he does have a certain, distinct writing style that may appeal to some readers. That being said, the one fault I did find with this book was the profusion of names the reader has to keep track of in order to remember who is who. Throughou ...more
Terence
Jul 17, 2009 Terence rated it it was ok
Reading this I'm reminded of those "human-animal hybrids" that exercise some Republican lawmakers so much - an odd mixture of biography and novel that doesn't work very well in either genre.

R.P. Lister is not a historian but a "novelist, poet, and travel writer" (per the backcover), and his purpose in writing this book is to render the primary source of this period, The Secret History of the Mongols, into an easily readable and understandable format.

As a biography, it's simply a recapitulation o
Melissa Field
Mar 06, 2015 Melissa Field rated it did not like it
I had hoped this book would help supplement my research of Genghis Khan. It's a good overview and seems to hit all the high points. What I can't stand is the author's constant need to insert his sexism. He makes all these little snide comments about women and it's annoying. The writing itself is dry and forgettable. Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford is written much better and without the digs at women.
Bryn Hammond
This makes a story of The Secret History of the Mongols. Indeed, the author says he 'invents no dialogue' though he does 'condense speeches' - the Secret History is big on speech. R.P. Lister is the one who said of the Secret History it reminded me in many respects of the Morte d'Arthur which is a quote that nestles in my heart. Although I ought to add he goes on to say, It is rough notes for the Morte d'Arthur combined with a manual of infantry training and the London Telephone Directory..
Carl Dowds
Aug 12, 2012 Carl Dowds rated it really liked it
It was much better than I thought it might be, a good story and well written from supposed facts compiled from dry and non-scholar-unreadable records. I bought Anne "Vampire" Rice's personal hardbound copy in Portland when Powell's Books was liquidating her personal library('s cullings).
Having said that, I totally f***ked up and did NOT buy Anne's copy of Pamela Anderson's novel "Star: A Novel" that was inscribed by Pam "Anne, you're the BEST!! XXOO -Pam ". What the hell was I thinking!?!?
Vic
Jul 30, 2010 Vic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reads like an adventure story. Enjoyed book. Only problem was keeping up with the names of the personage....
Frank
Jul 17, 2012 Frank rated it really liked it
An excellent book on the birth and early life of The Khan.
John Byron
John Byron rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Elmuan
Elmuan added it
Jan 25, 2016
Damian  Brazier
Damian Brazier marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
David
David added it
Jan 17, 2016
Emerald
Emerald rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Miriam Park
Miriam Park marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Amira Elmery
Amira Elmery marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Mahmood Ahmad
Mahmood Ahmad marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Ana Lusanta
Ana Lusanta marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Elisandra Silva
Elisandra Silva rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Aimee Elizabeth
Aimee Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2015
Robert Lillie
Robert Lillie rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Toddball
Toddball marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015