Start by marking “My Sister Chaos” as Want to Read:
My Sister Chaos

My Sister Chaos

The story of twin sisters who escape from an unknown, war-torn country, this novel follows an obsessive-compulsive cartographer trapped in the mapping of her own house and a painter turned code-breaker trying to find the female lover she lost in the war. While the cartographer is obsessed with keeping the world in order---her sister's unexpected visit is equated with a sig

Published March 1st 2011 by Spinifex Press (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about My Sister Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Sister Chaos

Lisa
Apr 16, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Alice Nelson (The West Australian)
Shelves: australia, c21st, 16review
My Sister Chaos is a remarkable feat of creativity. Set in an unnamed country with three female characters known only as the cartographer, the sister and the mathematician, it tells a story of love that transcends a chaos that few of us could possibly imagine. The novel won the 2012 Edmund White Award for Debut Fiction, and was nominated for Lambda Literary Award for Lesbian Debut Fiction (2012), and the Dobbie Literary Award(2011).

The story begins with the cartographer obsessively mapping her h
David Fox
Nov 11, 2016 David Fox rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I chanced across Lara Fergus's first novel, My Sister Chaos, while browsing. Intrigued by the title and cover art, I downloaded a preview. Within a few pages, I was hooked.

My Sister Chaos, is an intense story of twin sisters living as refugees from genocide. The main character, a cartographer, has found work in her profession and settled down alone. Her obsession with her project to map the house she rents in excruciating accuracy, retreating into a bubble which she can know completely and ratio
Trent
Sep 14, 2012 Trent rated it it was amazing
A brilliant, harrowing first novel that won the Publishing Triangle's Edmund White Award for Debut Fiction. It's about two sisters in an unnamed country (that seems like Australia, since that's where the author's from) who are refugees from another unnamed country that has been torn apart by civil war (think Yugoslavia). One sister, the unreliable narrator, is a cartographer and an obsessive compulsive. Her twin, a lesbian painter who lost her lover in their homeland during the madness, shows up ...more
Karen
Mar 24, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
This was a beautiful book, albeit a little confusing and frustrating at times. The narrator's obsession with mapping her house made some sense as a response to the trauma of a war that changed the borders of her country, but sometimes I couldn't quite get into her mindset. I liked how towards the end it sometimes seemed unclear whether the two sisters were healing or losing their minds. It reminded me of the Yellow Wallpaper in that it was narrated by someone whose perspective on the world is in ...more
Jan
May 25, 2012 Jan rated it it was amazing
Loved this tale of twin refugees from an unnamed country, one a cartographer with perhaps Asperger Syndrome and/or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, the other a lesbian painter. The former is the narrator, and the latter is called only "the sister." The sister has lost her lover and lover's child in the war. She left her more emotionally handicapped sister when they reached America, and has just returned to her sister's house.

This Borgesian story of identity and of PTSD is worthy of its status as
Faith
Mar 30, 2013 Faith rated it it was amazing
It's a good thing I have a book group, so I can recommend this novel and hope that others will discuss it with me. As one of the blurb writers said, it's "Intriguing, intelligent and highly original." It will change forever how I think about refugees (and maps). But I don't know what to make of it, entirely, and I sure don't know how to comment here without creating spoilers.

The main character appears to be asexual, a queer sexuality not often encountered in literature; the next-to-main characte
Izabella
Aug 06, 2013 Izabella rated it it was ok
Despite my rating, it's actually very well written. It's just I found myself unable to relate to the characters except in the flashbacks. But in the present, the thinking driving the main character's masterwork just eluded me.
Jillian
Nov 20, 2013 Jillian rated it it was amazing
This novel is amazing. The slow, anxious tone is incredible, minimalist dialogue with so many witty one-liners and a deeply interesting analysis of life, psychology and coping with trauma.
Apr 22, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
An interesting perspective on universal trauma through the eyes of one of its victims.
Barbara
Mar 31, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Engrossing - very quirky - loved it
svnh
Nov 10, 2011 svnh rated it it was amazing
My god, does this book need a proper review. Coming soon.

For now: shelved as ecstasy.
Juanita Cater
Juanita Cater rated it really liked it
May 27, 2011
Khulud Khamis
Khulud Khamis rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2013
Ariane
Ariane rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2012
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2012
Sasha
Sasha rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2011
Betsy Housten
Betsy Housten rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2012
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Rebecca Jessen
Rebecca Jessen rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2013
Elizabeth George
Elizabeth George rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2017
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2015
Dominique Wilson
Dominique Wilson rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2012
Scoutaccount
Scoutaccount rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Katie Cox
Katie Cox rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2013
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
May 27, 2013
Casey Quast
Casey Quast rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2013