Start by marking “The Vampire Diaries: The Hunters: Phantom” as Want to Read:
The Vampire Diaries: The Hunters: Phantom

The Vampire Diaries: The Hunters: Phantom (The Vampire Diaries: The Hunters #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  11,406 Ratings  ·  433 Reviews
The past is never far. . . .

Elena Gilbert and her friends saved Fell's Church from evil spirits, but the town's freedom came at a price: Damon Salvatore's life. Now, with nothing standing in their way, Elena and Stefan can finally be together. So why can't Elena stop dreaming of Damon?

As Elena's feelings for Damon grow, a new darkness is brewing in Fell's Church. Elena has
Published October 23rd 2012 by HarperTeen (first published 2011)

Aug 01, 2016 hayden marked it as nah-to-the-ah-to-the-no-no-no  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghost-writer
Not even gonna read it if LJ isn't gonna write it. Not gonna let myself buy it. Whoever decided Elena HAD TO end up with Stefan and was okay with firing LJ from writing the books better be pretty frickin' happy with themselves, because that was a crappy move.
Carson Faircloth
I will most likely not be reading this book, though I love the story.

Because it was not written by L.J. Smith. I don't think a lot of people realize what this means -- after all, if the writing's good, why not like the story?

As a writer myself, I would be horrified -- as in Saw victims horrified -- if I was fired from my own books. Not only that, but if someone else wrote my characters in my place. It would infuriate me beyond belief.

All this said, I will not be reading this. I am very disap
Ok seriously? Why the hell is everyone hating on this series?????? It's amazing! Some of you need to stop and ask yourself, 'If I hate this series, and think that it died 3 books ago, then why am I looking up the next book and taking time out of my life to write a book review for it?' Look, Some of us like this book, so shut the hell up if your going to hate because it's innapropriate and rude.
Thanks, and reply, if you agree. :)

Whoever the low-life GHOSTWRITER is who wrote this should be ashamed of themselves. You will never ever live up to L.J Smith's expertise. It's sad to know your only reason for writing is to get money, and that because of you the rightful author of this book can no longer continue with this ser
Apr 05, 2015 Taylor rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-novels
Sweet baby jesus!
Another book?!
She really needs to stop.
Add a book to secret circle or something or start something new!
Vampire diaries died; stop adding fuel to the flames!!
Sep 30, 2011 Angie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Here’s an email my friend received from L.J. Smith.
“Hi Emily—

Thank you for your beautiful email. I completely understand why some fans get overeager—and especially if they think there is bad news for them. I hope that you will enjoy Midnight, as it is truly the story of Damon finding his deepest feelings for both Elena and Bonnie—and his feelings are definitely not platonic. In fact, to be blunt, without Bonnie and something that Bonnie does at the en
Nov 08, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jan 15th pre-review
...."the gang goes to college"....

What is this? 90210?

After reading:

I want to like this. Every single book I want to like it, but the thing is, I despise Elena. And I can't support Damon or Stephan, because she flat out says "I love both of you" and they're just like oh ok whatever.
I'm sorry, but that's not ok. If I were in that situation I'd be like pick one of us, stop leading the other on, and if you can't then we'll both move on.
No girl is THAT great. Not even Elena Gilb
Apr 20, 2014 Logan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fucking dumb, and I didn't even read it! Whoever's idea it was to fire L.J. and get a ghost writer, is fucking stupid. Just because she decided that she wanted Elena to be with Damon. So what? I'm all for that! But, noooo. It's her book, people! Sure, you may have paid her to write it, but if you didn't, then you wouldn't even have the damn story. What the hell, man. What. The. Hell. Let the writer do what the fuck the writer wants.

Maybe, just MAYBE, the writers of the TV show will be nice and
Mar 16, 2014 Taja rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
NOTE (added 3/16/14): I must tell you, anyone, that this (beginning with the Hunters series) is not an actual L.J. SMITH novel, it is written (badly) by a Ghostwriter. But if you want to continue the actual author's story, she was able to legally create "fanfic" of her own novels with "The Vampire Diaries: Evensong" series, available in novella episodes on Kindle.

11/6/11: So I almost didn't read this book because of the rumors surrounding the author & book-series-rights. She was supposedly
Jun 14, 2011 Christina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I will never read this book because it was written by a ghostwriter. I wanted to read the book the way L.J. Smith wrote it. No one will be able to deliver a Vampire Diaries book the way she has. Alloy is foolish to think that replacing a top selling author with a ghostwriter is the way to increase popularity of a series. Even though they have the legal right to use her name, I think it is very distasteful that they want to take her out of the series and still use her name. I have no respect for ...more
Jun 19, 2012 Lucifermeo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to ever read this series again if a ghostwriter is gonna write it. I am curious what will happen next after Midnight and the welfare of Damon too but it would be really disrespecting to all the characters (Elena, Damon, Stefan, ....) if I continue reading. And for the reason L.J got fired, I personally hate it, but on the bigger picture, the quality of her Return trilogy was crappy and cheesy. I'm really happy to see Damon was still alive, but it was like they all died when the gho ...more
HannahCassie (PSIloveThatBook)
MORE? MORE! @ P.S. I love that book!

I have read all four original books of The Vampire Diaries as well as Damon's trilogy so obviously when I saw this in my library I just had to take it.

THE WORLD: The Fell's Church (original name of Mystic Falls) is now all good again after the damage inflicted by kitsune was erased. Therefore, Elena and her friends find themselves back in their little town that we are so familiar with. Plus, the ones that died during kitsune invasion are alive again, weird but
Morgan Walsh
May 06, 2011 Morgan Walsh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Um, by the way, I gave the book 4 stars because I had to do that (rate it) to write this review.

I... enjoyed Smith's Vampire Diaries books. After the first four ended, I thought come on. Are you serious?This is where the story is going to end?. Then, with the Return series, I kind of giggled a bit because... the story could continue. But you know... seven books (ten, actually, I think, with the Stefan's diaries thing) is... enough. Or it would have been, but there was a cliffhanger at the end o
Nov 10, 2011 Brittany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay I must say I am highly disappointed with this story. I didn't know if the rumors were true or not about L.J. Smith being fired, but just by reading a few of the pages you could tell it was not her writing. I was looking forward to continuing this series, but I think I'm stopping now. If L.J. Smith isn't writing it then I'm not reading it anymore. It was her series she should be allowed to do what she wants with her material. I hope she'll be able to finish her Night World series though. Thi ...more
Dec 17, 2011 Jessie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love L.J, I love the series, books and show. I don't like the whole Damon/Elena relationship it was built on a lies and deceit so why would I like it, but firing the author because of it is too far. I was prepared to endure my disgust of Delena for the sake of the other characters whom I love.
That being said I just can't leave it the way it was and be okay with that, I will be reading this, and I will be loving every second of it.
Side notes: I hope Elena dies, I'm tired of that slut. lol. Damo
Evil Twin One (Ange)
I'll be reading the book to see how the series continues but I know it will no way compare to L.J.'s writing. I'm really mad that Alloy won't let her continue the series. She started it, they should let her finish it. But I think what gets me more mad is all the people that say L.J. needs to let the series go, it needs to end, blah blah blah. Stop hating on L.J. people. She has nothing to do with it anymore or the Stefan's Diaries books. Says so right on her website. Anything that has multiple n ...more
Mar 10, 2011 Camille marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I need to read this simply because it's from my favorite series ever but I have a feeling it's just going to piss me off. I LOVE the Vampire Diaries, I named my daughter Elena for G-d's sake! But all the new books have just sucked. :(
Apr 08, 2013 Susana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Though this book is marked as read, I have not read it and do not plan to- I will only read the books that L.J. Smith actually wrote. I have not read any of "The Vampire Diaries" book, but am a big fan of the show (which i probably should not be since one of the companies that creates the show helped fi
I found this book to be more forced than the others. It seemed very typical that something would happen. And this time things seemed to end within a week. Or that's the time span it seemed to me. Everything felt just pushed through. That and nobody even seemed to second guess the thoughts and feelings they had. They just accepted them or then ignored them.

And then Damon reappearing seemed to easy. We got him crawling out of the hole, walking towards the gate, being saved by Sage, and the
When I heard that this book was coming out, I think I died a little inside. I LOVED the first four, got a little bored with The Return trilogy, refused to read the Stefan/Damon spin off stories and have never watched the TV series. And never will. (Hello, they axed Meredith)

I'll keep this short. Vampire Diaries ended with book 7. End of. Elena with no powers + Damon dead = SERIES OVER. And this isn't even written by LJ. Yes, I will be reading this, but only to justify the one star it's going to
Kalla [A Bookish Nerd]
Reminder to self: NEVER read this book or any book continuing this series because it's not written by L.J Smith anymore. She was fired from the series and now a ghost writer has taken it over. That is so wrong in many ways. Why am I just now hearing about this? Ugh.
Mιss •kαthєяίиє•  Τhε Emεrαℓd Pяίиcεss®
After finding out in L.J. Smith's site that "Phantom" is not her book, I had the question : "Phantom? What is it?"
Finding out that there is going to be another VD book finds me with mixed feelings. On the one hand I always wanted a Delena end and I hoped that this book would maybe, just maybe, provide it. And well, I didn't like Damon dying and I knew that of there was another book, he would seriously resurface.

On the other hand, ghostwritting is just brutal.At the beginning I had no idea such
Apr 17, 2016 Luke rated it really liked it
At first I didn't want to read Phantom for obvious reason—reasons that involve how Alloy fired L.J. Smith because she wouldn't take the series in the direction they wanted. But after I read Midnight, I couldn't leave it there. I needed to find out what happened next—or what could've happened next. So I did.

I was expecting it to suck. But it wasn't that bad. If I hadn't known about the ghostwriter, I probably wouldn't have noticed anything different. But with the knowledge that someone else wrote
Aug 19, 2011 Jenny marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am really looking forward to reading this book. I think the Vampire Diaries is a wonderful series, and I was so sad when Damon died in Midnight. I am jumping up and down in joy that LJ Smith decided to write another, even if there is ghost-writer involvement. The last book did not end the series would not have ended the series well, I'm glad that I get a little more closure.
Aug 28, 2011 Kathy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Yaaaayyyyy!!! I can't wait to read this one! I was so mad when Midnight ended with a cliffhanger but now it will be revealed. I'm just so mad that L.J. Smith isn't going to be the author! Why did she have to get fired? Everyone who is so unhappy with another book coming out, can just get over it. If your soo unhappy then you don't have to read it!
Sarah Marie
Jun 30, 2016 Sarah Marie marked it as no-thank-you  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropped-series
I'm not caught up on TVD books because I still haven't gotten passed Shadow Souls, but I have no interest in supporting a ghost writer when Smith has never failed me when it came to entertaining books.
Jun 07, 2011 Rachelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Wow... Another book... I just finished reading Midnight and I thought that was taking it a bit too far... The first 3 books are still the best!

I'll end up reading this anyway... Even though Elena has started to irritate me, how much more can the poor girl go through.
Damon dead.Stefan may leave.Merideth is getting married.Bonnie and Matt are alone.Elena is back.

When will this torture end?As if the last book wasn't tormenting us enough
Oct 30, 2011 Jenn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: made-me-cry
Jan 02, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've been a huge fan of The Vampire Diaries since I first read the original four books in Junior High and I've continued to stick by it through thick and thin. While the sequels were not quite the same as the original books, I still enjoyed them for what they were and gave the author the benefit of the doubt. After all, it was hard to revive a series after such a length of time had passed and things had changed quite a bit since the originals had first made an appearance. And despite all of its ...more
Delena Fans!: Season 1 3 4 Jan 23, 2015 06:49PM
things wrong in Phantom 42 71 Sep 16, 2013 12:06PM
This book will be written by a ghostwriter 13 66 Mar 12, 2013 07:05AM
when did Damon die? 11 78 Oct 26, 2012 02:10PM
Do you notice a difference in the writing since the ghost writer took over? 2 26 Mar 27, 2012 06:33AM
Things got kind of crazy... 3 24 Dec 21, 2011 06:28AM
  • Thirst No. 4: The Shadow of Death (Thirst, #4)
  • Nyx in the House of Night: Mythology, Folklore and Religion in the PC and Kristin Cast Vampyre Series
  • Love You to Death Season 2: The Unofficial Companion to The Vampire Diaries
  • A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries
  • Tantalize: Kieren's Story
  • Bite Club (The Morganville Vampires, #10)
  • Immortal Hearts (Vampire Kisses, #9)
  • 100% The Vampire Diaries: The Unofficial Guide To The Vampire Diaries
  • Soul Bound (Blood Coven Vampire, #7)
  • Lost in Time (Blue Bloods, #6)
  • Eternal (Immortal, #3)
  • Crusade (Crusade, #1)
  • Vampire Beach: Volume 2 (Vampire Beach, #3-4)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th
More about L.J. Smith...

The Vampire Diaries: The Hunters (3 books)
  • Moonsong (The Vampire Diaries: The Hunters, #2)
  • Destiny Rising (The Vampire Diaries: The Hunters, #3)

“...the dark emotions everyone hid in their depths weren't all of who they really were. They weren't their true selves.” 9 likes