Start by marking “Unstuck: Your Guide to the Seven Stage Journey Out of Depression” as Want to Read:
Unstuck: Your Guide to the Seven Stage Journey Out of Depression

Unstuck: Your Guide to the Seven Stage Journey Out of Depression

Despite the billions spent on prescription anti-depressant drugs and psychotherapy, people everywhere continue to grapple with depression. James Gordon, one of the nation's most respected psychiatrists, now offers a practical and effective way to get unstuck. Drawing on forty years of pioneering work, "Unstuck" is Gordon's seven-stage program for relief through food and nu ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Hay House (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Unstuck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unstuck

Erika
Mar 02, 2011 Erika rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who believe in homeopathy
Recommended to Erika by: Microbiology teacher
Shelves: disliked
This book actually kind of pissed me off. I guess I'm in the (apparently minuscule) percentage of people who don't get relief from their depression without heavy medication, and Dr. Gordon doesn't believe I exist.

Instead, he "prescribes" rest, relaxation, and alternative medicine. (He actually talks about St John's Wort and says that it's a safe and effective herb, but tell that to the dysmenorrhea it triggered in me to the point where I became anemic.)

Bottom line: His exercises, while helpful
laurie
Jul 12, 2008 laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really useful book. If you deal with depression at all, especially if you'd like to check out of Anti-Depressant Nation or come up with some alternatives at the same time, I'd read Dr. Gordon's book. I used to shelve self-help at Borders and after years as a counselor can smell b.s. This man is sincere. And if he's not, I can't tell, so good for him.

The beginning is a little long on exposition ("I will teach you," "I will tell you," etc.) for my taste, but then again, MY ANXIETY makes
Stephanie
Jun 18, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who has known depression this book is like a beam of hope. Dr. Gordon is correct when saying that it is just a runt and you need to turn it around. The seven steps (although not always easy) are the right ones. You don't have to have depression to read it you just have to be human.
Shannon (Mrsreadsbooks)
This is one of the worst books I have ever read in regards to treating and living with depression. Depression is biological in nature, as are most mental illnesses. Anyone who has ever truly suffered from depression know that's cutting out dairy and gluten is not the answer.

The only positive thing I found about this book is that it does mention Vitamin D. My vitamin D was extremely low earlier this year, "bottomed-out" low because of other chronic health problems. After several months of daily v
Cassia
Aug 09, 2008 Cassia is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Great common sense. As I'm reading this book I'm thinking the following thoughts. After years of being prescribed an antidepressant for everything from esophageal ulcer to back pain, I've found something that makes sense. When I was prescribed Prozac for the first time, I had been stressed out of my mind for so long. I felt like a miracle had happened it was so effective in getting me back out there dealing with it all. Since then it seems that doctors assume that's all I need. Yes, there are ti ...more
Jake
Oct 31, 2016 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My professor who is known for giving great book recommendations suggested this book. I liked it and now respect James' passion for healing and development. I think Unstuck reflects well on Gordon's intentions and concern for humanity. Throughout the reading I had a real sense that the author is wise, experienced, and very well educated. His intervention is intense and if followed I'd expect there would be measurable and meaningful results. If you're one of the many struggling with depression (bl ...more
Gary
Jun 19, 2013 Gary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psyche
Gordon's MBSR prescription is based on his experience and a series of evidence-based confirmations of elements of MBSR. He offers no evidence for the effectiveness of his 7-stage method. His scientific rigor is completely absent when he advocates for Chinese medicine. This isolated but telling collapse of his credibility affected my view of his book.
Janet
Mar 18, 2016 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the tone of this book, the author felt like a good listening friend.
Deena Marie
hmm not really sure about this book. hits some good points. Alot of things make sense.. I found in annoying at times..some eye roll moments....but I finished it.. so there's that....
Anna
Diane
Oct 21, 2008 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the concept that for most people depression is simply a sign that one's life is out of balance - not an illness - James S. Gordon lays out his plan to help people figure out what is wrong in their life and how to change that.

I expected to find lots of hokey ideas to become less depressed and I found them. If you've read any books on depression and/or how to work your way out of depression most of these exercises will be familiar.

And then I tried one of the exercises. It didn't lead to any n
Elaine
I believe I first read Unstuck in 2014 or 2015, but I have read it at least three times through since then - it's one I continue to return to, begin again, read different sections of when I'd like a refresher, etc. It was a powerful book for me, recommended by my General Practitioner when I was experiencing particularly concerning symptoms of clinical depression and anxiety. Along with medication, the skills and strategies recommended in Unstuck have helped me to see the world, and my experience ...more
Bailey Olfert
Although there are a lot of ideas/approaches in this book that don't appeal to me, it is the first work on depression I've seen that is actually hopeful. Gordon believes that depression is more of an opportunity than a disease, and that is a rare viewpoint! The idea that depression forces us to face things, to make changes, and to move on in a different plane of life - that's a novel and expectant way to approach it.
Gordon's advice about therapists feels caring, and I also appreciated his take o
Karen
Nov 13, 2010 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had high expectations for this book, but sadly, it hasn't delivered the real "push" I hoped it would. I was initially captured by the author's perspective on depression as something that has become medicalized and highly, over-medicated by western medicine. On this issue we agree. However, the book itself is boring me back into depression. That's a bit of an overstatement - there have been some tips that I've found helpful & useful (and, happily enough, things that I've already been doing) ...more
Courtney
I don't know. While some of what Dr. Gordon had to say was interesting for someone who is feeling blue or "stuck" I feel like dismissing depression as not a disease and using art therapy and an elimination diet instead of medication could be dangerous even potentially deadly to someone with serious depression.
Wendy Hollister
Recommended by Michael Mighdall of Toastmasters. After reading selected parts of this book, I realized I was much more angry than depressed. I just am disgusted when a person has to take drugs to solve a problem so the authors approach is to eliminate drugs which is a good thing but is a definite change of mind set.
Julie
Aug 18, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid, sensible advice from a man with solid, sensible credentials. I heard an interview with the author, Dr. Gordon, on the radio and the next time I was at the library, there it was so I checked it out. Dr. Gordon's basic premise is that depression is a symptom of a life that is "stuck" and that we should use our depression as a starting point for changing what is wrong with our lives.
Sara
A book about how to beat depression without drugs. Some of the exercises were really helpful, meditations, etc. Some of it was a little out there for me - taking out rage by shaking/dancing etc. I have re-started journaling as a result of this book, which has been helpful. Lots to chew on and think about here. I will probably re-read it.
Carla
Jan 16, 2015 Carla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wish there was a place to go where all the activities were recorded and was included with the purchase of the book but other than that I really enjoyed it. I recommend it to anyone going through anything.
Kirsten Welge
Jan 09, 2013 Kirsten Welge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good new information, some rehash of CBT concepts. I'd suggest checking it out of the library, but don't expect it to change your life - or help you cure your depression single-handedly. It does provide a good foundation for discussions with your primary care doctor, though!
David
II time reading - for the resources & exercises. obvs, i'll just denote it's the BEST book on depression, currently, otherwise i wouldn't have read it twice. it abstracts western meds & offers more holistic choices. also explodes some myths about tryptophan, & SAMe.
Michele Croston
It is a good book for a person already moving into recovery from depression but fails to be an introductory or engaging launch from the deepest of symptoms. Many people who are deeply depressed simply do not have the energy to even pick up a book let alone follow through with the exercises.
Elizabeth
Andy
Nov 11, 2014 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He's got some very good ideas, though, nothing new, so far. I truly appreciate his perspective of 'moving on' without pharmaceuticals ...
Rachel
Aug 20, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear, hopeful (if daunting) look at depression treatment as a holistic process, rather than a disease which requires medication.
Stephanie
Depressing. But I kept trying to read it. Then I said, WTF, I think I will go for a walk at the beach instead. That is apparently my stage one.

Maybe another time.
Ricardo
Sep 04, 2011 Ricardo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't doubt the author's knowledge but unfortunately I found the writing style slow and boring, and way too much emphasis on how antidepressants are a bad form of treatment
Feb 22, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was good, made me make some positive steps even if not technically depressed. I lost interest -- but that's not hard to do for me.
Victoria Goins
Victoria Goins rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Get to Work: A Manifesto for Women of the World
  • The Chemistry of Joy: A Three-Step Program for Overcoming Depression Through Western Science and Eastern Wisdom
  • Undoing Depression: What Therapy Doesn't Teach You and Medication Can't Give You
  • Get It Done When You're Depressed
  • Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame
  • Thoughts & Feelings
  • Acquainted with the Night: A Parent's Quest to Understand Depression and Bipolar Disorder in His Children
  • I'm 35, My Eggs Are Rotting ... How's Your Sperm?
  • Living Paleo for Dummies
  • The Disappearing Girl: Learning the Language of Teenage Depression
  • Beyond Blue: Surviving  Depression & Anxiety and Making the Most of Bad Genes
  • The Depression Book: Depression as an Opportunity for Spiritual Growth
  • Scared Sick: The Role of Childhood Trauma in Adult Disease
  • The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression: A Step-by-Step Program
  • The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program
  • Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression
  • Changing for Good: A Revolutionary Six-Stage Program for Overcoming Bad Habits and Moving Your Life Positively Forward
  • How I Stayed Alive When My Brain Was Trying to Kill Me: One Person's Guide to Suicide Prevention

“SSRIs, a serotonin-enhancing drug, can cause potentially life-threatening damage to heart valves.” 1 likes