Start by marking “Unstuck: Your Guide to the Seven Stage Journey Out of Depression” as Want to Read:
Unstuck: Your Guide to the Seven Stage Journey Out of Depression

Unstuck: Your Guide to the Seven Stage Journey Out of Depression

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Despite the billions spent on prescription anti-depressant drugs and psychotherapy, people everywhere continue to grapple with depression. James Gordon, one of the nation's most respected psychiatrists, now offers a practical and effective way to get unstuck. Drawing on forty years of pioneering work, "Unstuck" is Gordon's seven-stage program for relief through food and nu ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Hay House (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Unstuck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unstuck

Mar 02, 2011 Erika rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who believe in homeopathy
Recommended to Erika by: Microbiology teacher
Shelves: disliked
This book actually kind of pissed me off. I guess I'm in the (apparently minuscule) percentage of people who don't get relief from their depression without heavy medication, and Dr. Gordon doesn't believe I exist.

Instead, he "prescribes" rest, relaxation, and alternative medicine. (He actually talks about St John's Wort and says that it's a safe and effective herb, but tell that to the dysmenorrhea it triggered in me to the point where I became anemic.)

Bottom line: His exercises, while helpful
This is a really useful book. If you deal with depression at all, especially if you'd like to check out of Anti-Depressant Nation or come up with some alternatives at the same time, I'd read Dr. Gordon's book. I used to shelve self-help at Borders and after years as a counselor can smell b.s. This man is sincere. And if he's not, I can't tell, so good for him.

The beginning is a little long on exposition ("I will teach you," "I will tell you," etc.) for my taste, but then again, MY ANXIETY makes
As someone who has known depression this book is like a beam of hope. Dr. Gordon is correct when saying that it is just a runt and you need to turn it around. The seven steps (although not always easy) are the right ones. You don't have to have depression to read it you just have to be human.
Aug 09, 2008 Cassia is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Great common sense. As I'm reading this book I'm thinking the following thoughts. After years of being prescribed an antidepressant for everything from esophageal ulcer to back pain, I've found something that makes sense. When I was prescribed Prozac for the first time, I had been stressed out of my mind for so long. I felt like a miracle had happened it was so effective in getting me back out there dealing with it all. Since then it seems that doctors assume that's all I need. Yes, there are ti ...more
Gordon's MBSR prescription is based on his experience and a series of evidence-based confirmations of elements of MBSR. He offers no evidence for the effectiveness of his 7-stage method. His scientific rigor is completely absent when he advocates for Chinese medicine. This isolated but telling collapse of his credibility affected my view of his book.
With the concept that for most people depression is simply a sign that one's life is out of balance - not an illness - James S. Gordon lays out his plan to help people figure out what is wrong in their life and how to change that.

I expected to find lots of hokey ideas to become less depressed and I found them. If you've read any books on depression and/or how to work your way out of depression most of these exercises will be familiar.

And then I tried one of the exercises. It didn't lead to any n
I don't know. While some of what Dr. Gordon had to say was interesting for someone who is feeling blue or "stuck" I feel like dismissing depression as not a disease and using art therapy and an elimination diet instead of medication could be dangerous even potentially deadly to someone with serious depression.
Michele Croston
It is a good book for a person already moving into recovery from depression but fails to be an introductory or engaging launch from the deepest of symptoms. Many people who are deeply depressed simply do not have the energy to even pick up a book let alone follow through with the exercises.
I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wish there was a place to go where all the activities were recorded and was included with the purchase of the book but other than that I really enjoyed it. I recommend it to anyone going through anything.
Bailey Olfert
Although there are a lot of ideas/approaches in this book that don't appeal to me, it is the first work on depression I've seen that is actually hopeful. Gordon believes that depression is more of an opportunity than a disease, and that is a rare viewpoint! The idea that depression forces us to face things, to make changes, and to move on in a different plane of life - that's a novel and expectant way to approach it.
Gordon's advice about therapists feels caring, and I also appreciated his take o
I had high expectations for this book, but sadly, it hasn't delivered the real "push" I hoped it would. I was initially captured by the author's perspective on depression as something that has become medicalized and highly, over-medicated by western medicine. On this issue we agree. However, the book itself is boring me back into depression. That's a bit of an overstatement - there have been some tips that I've found helpful & useful (and, happily enough, things that I've already been doing) ...more
Solid, sensible advice from a man with solid, sensible credentials. I heard an interview with the author, Dr. Gordon, on the radio and the next time I was at the library, there it was so I checked it out. Dr. Gordon's basic premise is that depression is a symptom of a life that is "stuck" and that we should use our depression as a starting point for changing what is wrong with our lives.
He's got some very good ideas, though, nothing new, so far. I truly appreciate his perspective of 'moving on' without pharmaceuticals ...
A book about how to beat depression without drugs. Some of the exercises were really helpful, meditations, etc. Some of it was a little out there for me - taking out rage by shaking/dancing etc. I have re-started journaling as a result of this book, which has been helpful. Lots to chew on and think about here. I will probably re-read it.
Wendy Hollister
Recommended by Michael Mighdall of Toastmasters. After reading selected parts of this book, I realized I was much more angry than depressed. I just am disgusted when a person has to take drugs to solve a problem so the authors approach is to eliminate drugs which is a good thing but is a definite change of mind set.
Kirsten Welge
Some good new information, some rehash of CBT concepts. I'd suggest checking it out of the library, but don't expect it to change your life - or help you cure your depression single-handedly. It does provide a good foundation for discussions with your primary care doctor, though!
I don't doubt the author's knowledge but unfortunately I found the writing style slow and boring, and way too much emphasis on how antidepressants are a bad form of treatment
Depressing. But I kept trying to read it. Then I said, WTF, I think I will go for a walk at the beach instead. That is apparently my stage one.

Maybe another time.
It was good, made me make some positive steps even if not technically depressed. I lost interest -- but that's not hard to do for me.
Clear, hopeful (if daunting) look at depression treatment as a holistic process, rather than a disease which requires medication.
Interesting... Contains some alternatives to antidepressant meds to treat depression.
A lot of practical help for dealing with depression can be found in this book.
Jo Lofthouse
Well worth if it you're suffering from depression.
Tony Harte
Tony Harte marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Jared marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Avery marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Harold Kelso
Harold Kelso marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
  • The Chemistry of Joy: A Three-Step Program for Overcoming Depression Through Western Science and Eastern Wisdom
  • Undoing Depression: What Therapy Doesn't Teach You and Medication Can't Give You
  • Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression
  • Thoughts & Feelings
  • Living Paleo for Dummies
  • The Antianxiety Food Solution: How the Foods You Eat Can Help You Calm Your Anxious Mind, Improve Your Mood, and End Cravings
  • I'm 35, My Eggs Are Rotting ... How's Your Sperm?
  • The Depression Book: Depression as an Opportunity for Spiritual Growth
  • Big Girl: How I Gave Up Dieting and Got a Life
  • Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame
  • The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression: A Step-by-Step Program
  • Acquainted with the Night: A Parent's Quest to Understand Depression and Bipolar Disorder in His Children
  • The Better Brain Book
  • The Dolphin in the Mirror: Exploring Dolphin Minds and Saving Dolphin Lives
  • The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program
  • Changing for Good: A Revolutionary Six-Stage Program for Overcoming Bad Habits and Moving Your Life Positively Forward
  • Total Recovery: Solving the Mystery of Chronic Pain and Depression
  • Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing the Way You Think

“SSRIs, a serotonin-enhancing drug, can cause potentially life-threatening damage to heart valves.” 0 likes