Start by marking “I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words” as Want to Read:
I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words

I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  5,831 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Illus. in full color. Beginning readers can learn 100 different words in this story about a remarkable dog. ...more
Published October 12th 1973 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words

Jim
I didn't care much for the words in this book at all. It didn't suck me along at all & just seemed kind of dumb. (This from a guy that rated Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb & Hippos Go Berserk! with 5 stars.) The illustrations were good, though.
David Sarkies
This story, structured in beautiful meter and excellent rhyme is about how we set ourselves huge goals, and imagine huge success, only to put it off because we prefer to sit under a tree and pass our days catching the rays from the sun. The protagonist in this book (known only as 'I') is a man who has great hopes for his dog because he wants to teach his dog 100 words, but not only teach him those words but to also teach him how to do these things.
It seems that the first thing he wants to teac
Charles
This book is about a dog who's owner said he will teach him 100 words. And the words are all actions that dogs would do and some that were meanings that he would learn. The mayor, and uncle, Mr. Smith, and miss Brown were all finding out about what the dog can do and what the dog has learned.
I would say the words in the book were very well written for the young readers. There were words that would be bolded in red to catch the readers and show that, that is the description of the picture. All t
Alicia Singleton
This book is about an owner that teaches his dog different words while also teaching him commands. Some of the words the owner teaches the dog are what you would expect a dog to do such as catch, bark, beg, walk and run, but some of the words are extreme, such as “scratch you head” and “blow your nose.” This book is a good tool to expand children’s vocabulary. In the book it refers to different objects, some objects that children may not know, so this book can help them learn new words. Another ...more
Stephanie Watson
This is a cute book! This book highlights 100 words that children can point out that a dog may be able to do. I enjoyed reading this book.
E.  Talamante
A cute book about words - rhyming in most places, but not all. My toddler loved the silly pictures of the dog doing very non-dog things. Simple language, rhyming, colorful, simple pictures, exactly what you'd expect from a Cat in the Hat book!
Ginia
This review is by my 9 year old daughter...

AWESOME I think it's a good idea to write books like that. It was wonderful to read a poem especially if I haven't read a poem in forever
Brittany Mangino
I enjoyed this book i think it is very educational to children. It teaches them different words and phrases. The pictures that go along really help. I would recommend this book.
Ron
I got a new ebook account from a local library and needed a quick book to test it on. I grabbed this one. The story is cute and can be read quickly to non-readers.
Cheyenne
It didn't really hold Lexi's attention very long. She did like the dogs, though.
Summer
Very cute book! I have a feeling I'll be reading this one over and over and over and...
Voracious_reader
Fun. Not difficult. Nice illustrations. Some of the prose are painfully rymed.
Emkoshka
A cute way to teach kids that reading can be simple and silly fun.
Sarah Stumphf
Silly little book that's fun to read.
Stephanie
Beloved by kids and now grand kids
Salima Hart
This is a cute book about a guy that wants to teach his dog 100 words so that everyone will be impressed. He goes throughout the story talking about all of the things he wants to teach his dog and how everyone will react. I think that children will love to read this merely for entertainment purposes, but a teacher can definitely use this to have students identify opposites shown within the story.
Elizabeth S
A fun, rhyming book. Not so much about teaching the reader 100 words, more about teaching a dog to do things from "sit" to "paint the fence" to "jump the rope." Note that these three examples count for six words, not seven. With pictures by P.D. Eastman, how can a book go wrong?
Carolyn James
I like using this book with young, unconfident readers. When a student is struggling with language and they can read this book well I can show them just how many words they actually know. It’s also a good base of simple sight words you can pull from to do literacy games like word bingo or battleship. A great early reader book to keep in your back pocket.
yoyomaria
Great book to read for 100th day of school.
Deanna
This is a good book...not great. It is a good book for young readers to practice reading with an adult. Since the words rhyme, emerging readers can predict what word will come next. This is the main quality of the book. Otherwise, I would say it does not hold too much value for the reader.
Carol Pardon
wonderful book for beginning readers!
Sandybear76
I read this one to Kindergarten classes. Unfortunately I missed reading it on their 100th day celebration but they still enjoyed it. We counted the red words to get to 100 to double-check the author after reading the story. They liked the counting and the illustrations.
Hannah Morrison
This is one of the first books I remember reading over and over again. I love the rhyming pattern and I always found the ending humorous. Students could even count the words to work on number sense, which is not something I realized I was doing as a child!
Leann
A little advanced for my 2.5-year-old but mainly because it's meant to be a "learn to read" book. He liked the story enough and I'm sure once he is learning how to read, this will be more appropriate. It does have a cute ending.
Neionie Pulido
I have an affinity for Dr. Suess's children's book and I found this book for children and I found that this book contain a lot of adjective and verbs. I ffelt aht a great lesson could be made using this book for inpirations
Alexa Beal
I don't know why, but this book has been one of my favorites since before i can remember. All I know is that my dad would read this to me, and I would laugh so hard. To this day I still giggle when I reread this book.
Alyssa Garrison
ABC/Counting: I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words is a good combination of the abc's and counting. It includes words and common phrases and actions that children need to learn, and this book presents it in a very fun way.
Cindy D
Good book for young hands to handle.Picture/vocabulary. This book offers the opportunity to learn new vocabulary words. Each word is accompanied with a colorful illustration demonstrating the word of action.
J
Great for learning concepts like dark/light, big/small, et al. We are trying to teach our little one German so we wrote the entire book out in German and read it to him that way - it helps us both learn!

• The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books(R))
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • The Tooth Book
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • The Alphabet Book (Bright & Early Board Books)
  • Snow (Beginner Books)
  • Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo!
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
The Sesame Street Library Volume 6 The Sesame Street Library: Volume 7 The Sesame Street Library Volume 11 The Sesame Street Library Volume 10 The Sesame Street Library Volume 9 Featuring The Letter S And The Number 9 (Volume 9)