Start by marking “What to Say When You Talk to Yourself” as Want to Read:
What to Say When You Talk to Yourself

What to Say When You Talk to Yourself

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  5,466 ratings  ·  122 reviews
You don't have to be crazy to talk to yourself! We all talk to ourselves all of the time, usually without realising it. And most of what we tell ourselves is negative, counterproductive and damaging, preventing us from enjoying a fulfilled and successful life. Shad Helmsetter's simple but profound techniques, based on an understanding of the processes of the human brain, h ...more
Published January 1st 1986 by Fine Communications

To ask other readers questions about What to Say When You Talk to Yourself, please sign up.

Sriram Dr. Shad deals with more real life situations and provides effective solutions for the same. Also you while reading this book you will realise for…moreDr. Shad deals with more real life situations and provides effective solutions for the same. Also you while reading this book you will realise for more than a couple of times that the author has perfectly understood your mindset. (less)

Scott
My favorite 2 paragraphs so far. "After examining the philosophies, the theories, and the practiced methods of influencing human behavior, I was shocked to learn the simplicity of that one small fact: You will become what you think about most; your success or failure in anything, large or small, will depend on your programming - what you accept from others, and what you say when you talk to yourself.
It is no longer a success theory; it is a simple but powerful, fact. Neither luck nor desire has
Rgrega72
Completely changed the way I think. Keep positive affirmations with you at all times. The only way to change the way you think is to reprogram the way you think. Instead of feeding your mind with negative words and ideas feed your brain with positive affirmations and ideas. As stated in the book your brain is an apartment with old furniture. Take out the old furniture and throw it away, which is the negative thinking and replace it with new furniture, which is positive thinking. No matter what i ...more
Kathleen
This was a really helpful book for me when I was going through a painful divorce. Most of us don't realize what the running commentary in our heads is saying. This book encourages you to pay attention, sort out the negatives, and modify the way you talk to yourself. We can be sabotaging ourselves without even knowing it. I highly recommend it for an eye-opening, potentially life-altering experience.
Peter Ritchie
He spends the first four chapters firstly illustrating his journey, and then explaining the purposes and methods of self help books. I can not believe how badly it is written. I may be wrong and will humbly accept if so. However, there is no continuity to the writing; some sentences are completely out of place. I skipped the next several chapters to reach chapter 14. Finally, I thought, the meat of the pie! But no. It is fair to say that the book was a rather insubstantial piece of work. A novel ...more
Daniel
I love this book. It helped change my live for the better. It says, that the average 18 year old hears, "no," "you can't do it," "your not good enough," and the like 148,000 times. I was especially rotten as a youth, I must have heard it 300,000 time. I came to believe the negative talk. This book helped me break bad habits instilled by others.

I look forward to rereading it every year.
Eugene Kok
The human brain is incredibly powerful personal computer controller and that each word that you input into your mind would determine your attitude on how you decide to do in life. Whether it is mediocre or magnificence.
Kiki
Jun 18, 2010 Kiki is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Negative self talk is something we all deal with. This is the first self help book that I've picked up. The book teaches common sense, but I've never given "You are what you say" much thought until this book was recommended to me. This book is already affecting the way I think, and I'm not even half way through. I watch out for negative self talk or thoughts and correct myself.
Chris
I read this book many moons ago and I must agree that negative self talk is an issue that we all must overcome. What I didn't like about the book was that at many points from chapter to chapter the book felt like a sales pitch to purchase the tape series. Then you can really overcome your negative self talk.... Good luck, but I'd rather keep my duckets in my pocket rather than forking them over to this clever promoter.
Maria
This was required reading in a college class of mine and I loved it. It is not a big book and it can be hard to get through but I have learned a lot from this book.
Ms. Reeves
This is very powerful. Words come to life so choosing your words literally means choosing your world.
James
Sep 01, 2011 James rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to James by: Steve Thomas
The concepts promoted in this little work are somewhat basic to those who are familiar with the basics of modern psychology. I'm sure that when this book was published, it offered ground-breaking info to the populous, who had never encountered such ideas.

The most valuable element I found in this book was really not in the book at all, but was merely a part of a whole concept that has recently been standing out to me. The concept I'm speaking of is the power of words. God spoke the world into ex
J. Ewbank
This is the first book I read in this area and fortunately for me it was an excellent one. After reading the book I wrote out cards for me to read and to think about every day and I must say that they helped.

He combines humor with good, solid ideas on how you can improve your life just by thinking about it and keeping your mind focused on the ideas and concepts you want.

It is an interesting and good read for anybody interested in getting help for themselves for such things as weight loss, improv
Maureen Williams
We have so much more power than we have imagined!

Dr Shad is right on point with how incredibly important our self talk is. We become what we believe so it's critical for us to learn to monitor and teach ourselves, our families and friends positive self talk to change our lives from mundane to magical..
Clare Darwish
A wonderful little book that helps shift some of the negative beliefs that we inherit from our doubtless well-meaning parents, teachers, peers et al.

This little gem is quick and easy to read and will resonate with every human being on the planet. If you want to change your mindset, then this is a great place to start!
Heather
If you've done any personal development workshops, read a self-help book, or been in therapy, you do not need this book. It might have been really groundbreaking when it was written, but I found it fairly mundane. To sum up: be nice to yourself. Talk to yourself in positive terms rather than negative terms. End of story.
Nikhil Nambiar
An Eye opener for people who are unconscious about their pervasive thoughts. This book will let you hear your the thoughts and make you change them to program your subconscious mind. Shad Helmstetter provides several strategies to change our inherent programming to think in a controlled manner to create sustainable changes. The message of the book is fairly consistent from the outset and also challenges the reader if they have any preconceived notions about the outlook of personal achievement ta ...more
Mark
I believe that everyone suffers with "brain chatter". this book shows how to control it and make it useful. This is a most worthwhile reading experience.
Tony
Excellent book! Amazingly true and very helpful in learning how to control your thoughts. I've read it before and I'm reading it again.
Frank
Dec 12, 2013 Frank added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nlp
Terrible! Most of this book, and I mean 99% of it, is filler. What a waste of time. I give it 0 stars.
Ravishing_rick
well had to give it 5 because everything was true
Lynnie
I really enjoyed this. You never really think about what kind of thoughts go on in your head on a daily basis until someone else brings it to your attention. Then you see where your mindset really is.

What I appreciate is that Dr. Helmstetter's advice was simple. If we had to go through some long process on a daily basis to work on changing our mindset to be more positive, we'd probably give up pretty quickly, and he knows and understands that. His advice is start by just paying attention and wor
Lynda
Mainly lists of positive affirmations.
Nadia
I never even heard of sucha book
Dennis
Feb 02, 2014 Dennis rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
The author makes a very strong case for his argument. I believe he is right - the chatter in our heads is responsible - perhaps almost entirely - for the emotions we deal with on a daily basis.

Thanks to reading the book, I am more aware of what I am saying to myself. As a sidenote, I am doing some mindfulness sessions and these have helped me become more aware of myself. I catch myself at random moments in a downward spiral of self talk or right at the beginning of one.

However, there are times
Mackenzie Hampel
This book is a motivational book. The author, Shad Helmstetter, helps you to 're-wire' your brain and to not take everyone's opinions. He tells how little children believe everything you say and sometimes what you say to them can shape them into the people they become when they are grown. He tells a story about a boy, who when he was young was always told how good of an artist he was. He believed it and later became a Walt Disney Animator. He also talks about how we need to re-think every time i ...more
David
Decent book: starts off with 'the sell' of why you should be reading this book and what areas in your life it will address. The next sections discuss the way you have 'negative self-talk' allowing you to identify it within yourself. Moving to methods of transforming (a word I use carefully) those phrases into positive self talk are the next ch. The penultimate area is self programming positive expressions to think and say to yourself on a daily basis.

This book will appeal to Engineers and scient
Marcus Calvin
This is one of my favorite books. You can either speak life or death into your mind and others and this book is designed to get into your head and clear out the little voice telling you the stories that are holding you back. I love this book! Its clear that the author realizes that what you say in your private moments really impacts your entire reality and in order to shift that reality, it starts with what your telling yourself on a daily basis.
Glenn
Much of self-improvement literature suggests affirmations as a path to improvement. This book is the most concentrated study I have encountered thus far. I like it because of the awareness it has afforded me in classifying my own internal dialog, but I'm not convinced that affirmations alone will affect permanent changes. This book makes a great companion to "Change Anything" by Kerry Patterson, as one of its six sources to influence and support vital behavior changes.
Menglong Youk
This book was indirectly recommended to me by a Facebook friend. It provides readers quite a lot of encouragement and new ways of positive self-talk. It at least helps us to be more optimistic about our life although it cannot solve every problem we people are facing everyday. It's highly recommended to those who live in depression, wanting something to lift their spirit up.
Arvind Paramasivan
The first book I read apart from my academics, I finished school by that time, while my friends had read dozens of huge books I had no clue about. And it doesnt matter, coz this one came when I was depressed in my life.

Needed a move on and Mr.Shad Helped me, hence I will never tell negative about this.. Just read if you wanna have a clarity of thoughts and help yourself.
  • The Choice
  • How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • Master-Key to Riches
  • The Magic of Believing
  • How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • The Slight Edge: Secret to a Successful Life
  • Acres of Diamonds
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Launching a Leadership Revolution: Mastering the Five Levels of Influence
  • The Psychology of Winning
  • 8 Attributes of Great Achievers
  • See You at the Top
  • Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself
  • Goals!: How to Get Everything You Want Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Winning with People
  • Psycho-Cybernetics, A New Way to Get More Living Out of Life
What To Say When You Talk To Yourself About Selling The Gift Who Are You Really and What Do You Want? The Self-Talk Solution The Power of Neuroplasticity

“We control with our own minds most everything in our lives, including our health, our careers, our relationships, and our futures” 11 likes
“After examining the philosophies, the theories, and the practiced methods of influencing human behavior, I was shocked to learn the simplicity of that one small fact: You will become what you think about most; your success or failure in anything, large or small, will depend on your programming - what you accept from others, and what you say when you talk to yourself.
It is no longer a success theory; it is a simple but powerful fact. Neither luck nor desire has the slightest thing to do with it. It makes no difference whether we believe it or not. The brain simply believes what you tell it most. And what you tell it about you, it will create. It has no choice.”
7 likes