Start by marking “Heroes” as Want to Read:
Heroes

Heroes

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  626 ratings  ·  80 reviews
Viewers of the first season of NBC's award-winning mega-hit Heroes were captivated by the temporally challenged romance of Osaka computer geek Hiro Nakamura and Midland, Texas, waitress Charlie Andrews. In this original novel, fully authorized by Heroes' creators, readers can finally witness the fast-forward, fast-back saga of lovestruck Hiro and Charlie.
Published December 26th 2007 by Random House Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heroes

Tom Rokins
I had to debate whether to give this book a two or a three. As you can see, I settled on the two. I believe the only thing that made me lean towards the three was the connection to Heroes, as it focuses on two of my favourite characters from the show: Charlie and Hiro.

The book is pretty below-par, for the most part. There are a few good moments (some of which are lifted wholesale from the TV programme) and a handful of nice bits, but on the whole, this is bog standard chick-lit. Which is odd, co
MissM
A case of trying to hard coupled with mediocre writing, this book really didn't do it for me. The author even somehow managed to turn the single most lovable character in Heroes into an annoying, emotional, even whiny unlikable loser. I get that Hiro isn't perfect and that he's kinda been a disappointment to his father and all, but jeez...how many times did they have to get into his utter lack of ever even managing to kiss a girl? Or, the need to bash us over the head with his extremely exaggera ...more
James
Set during the episode where Hiro goes back in time to save Charlie. This novel follows the back story that the episode didn't show. Unfortunately, it's a generally pretty tedious attempt to cash-in on the 'success' of the Heroes franchise. If only the series had been cancelled before this book got the green-light...
Hoku Ho
Jan 02, 2008 Hoku Ho rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the TV show "Heroes" who are looking for a light read.
The reason I gave this book such a low rating is because the scope of it's audience is really, in my opinion, limited to fans of the TV show, "Heroes". The other reason I rated it so low is because the writing is very, for lack of a better word, young. It reminded me of those books you read as a teenager...fun and fluffy writing that moves along and entertains, but can pretty much be taken at face value. Not that there's anything wrong with that...if you are looking for a light read and love "He ...more
Nick
Rey
It's a cute story, but really a little less interesting than I expected given the great writing on the tv show. Then again, this wasn't written by a tv show writer because of the strike (that I fully support). They had me thinking it was going to end in a completely different way although I did enjoy the message about destiny.
Kes
This book was dopey! You would have to really like the series and totally like Hiro to even think it ok. I thought it was kinda sweet though in a romancey-pants kind of way, but I can be a douche bag.
Trevor Bradley
4 stars only if you really like the little story of Hiro and Charlie from the show.
Otherwise 3
Lisa
Nov 05, 2008 Lisa rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: gave-up-on
I didn't even bother finishing it. At first I felt since I'd gotten halfway through it I had committed myself to it, but I changed my mind. It is 258 pages of crap. Aury Wallington's writing is so beyond mediocre it isn't even suitable for a Hallmark card. He could have done so much more with the story, especially in such a colorful world portrayed in the show. Now, I LOVE Heroes as a show, but this book was like reading a bad fan fic. I felt like I was reading something one of my nerdy friends ...more
oxana
Jul 28, 2012 oxana rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the tv show "Heroes"
Around 2½ stars, maybe... nothing to get excited about.

I'll start by saying that I'm an avid fan of "Heroes" (the tv show this book is based on, in case it escaped anyone's notice). That said, reading this book was a must although it took me long enough to get down to it.

Hiro has never been one of my favorite characters, although he brought a lot of interesting elements to the show, being the driving force behind many of the people who later stepped up their game considerably.

It's been a while s
Faith Justice
My daughter gave me this as a gift because we've been watching Heroes together. It's a good example of its type - novelizations of TV shows, movies, etc. I've read novelizations in several lines (Star Trek, Star Wars, Spiderman, etc.) and know they can run the gamut from insipid to inspiring. This one is closer to the latter. If you have good writers, they can take mass media characters and give them a depth beyond the flat 2-D of visual media and breadth beyond the ability of a 60 - 120 minutes ...more
Nick
Sep 22, 2008 Nick rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comicbook reading prepubescents
Aury Wallington couldn't write with the emotive cinematic intensity and drama of a black and white disney film. Anyone who enjoys the crescendos and excitement of the Heroes television show had better keep searching because this book is luke warm. Anyone who loves Hiro's character and wondered what happened with Charlie will not be rewarded because of the shallow plot. Anyone could write better.
What's worse is the fact that it leaves so much more to be desired. Of all the places Charlie and Hir
James Rhodes
This was OK, I was not surprised to discover that it was written by a romance author as it is the romance that is the central element of the plot. Most of the sci-fi is forgettable and doesn't sit well with the plot. The style is accessible and with the TV series as a reference point the characters are well maintained. I read it in one sitting and I don't think I will ever think about it again but it was a pleasant enough few hours.
Davey 705
Kayla
I picked up this book because I watched "Heroes" and Hiro was one of my favorite characters (possibly bested only by Sylar), but this book was a disappointment. It felt like a betrayal of Hiro's character--so sweet in the show--to read the dirty, lustful thoughts this author wrote into his narration. Hiro as played by Masi Oka wasn't like that, and it really irked me to see him portrayed that way.
Matt
Being a fan of the show I figured this book would have at least been decent. However the book absolutely breaks away from the character of Hiro. Sure he does have a relationship with Charlie on the show, but this book turns Hiro into a whiney, pathetic character. The whole story ends up focusing on him wanting to have sex with Charlie(and save her). It just doesn't fit with the spirit and style of the TV show, or the character Masi Oka has made Hiro.

Add to the butchering of the character that th
Lory
Apr 26, 2008 Lory rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, fans of the TV show
This book was good enough. It is a quick easy read, although the target audience was clearly younger teens- there was a decent amount of slang and teenage expression, and every adult over 30 was fat or toothless or mean. It does fill in the gaps from the show nicely.

Parents should feel OK about letting their 12 and ups that can handle a little gore reading it. There is some sexuality in it, but aside from one part where Hiro gets some boob, it pretty much always stops at kissing. There is one sc
Sammy
Dec 25, 2008 Sammy rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any fan of the show
I didn't really care for it. The writing and style was rather simplistic. I had to force myself to finish it. I'm not sure it is the author's writing style. I think it has more to do with I already knew what was going to happen because I watched the show. They really should just change the name of the to Season One of the Show You Used to Like.

I think my comlaints are really stemming from the direction the show has taken. I thought Season One was genius. Unfortunately, I think they peaked during
Bethany
I am a big fan of the series Heroes so when I got this book for Christmas I couldn't wait to read it.

I was disappointed. It was uninteresting, it didn't mention other characters and Hiro began to annoy me with his unthinking travelling.

Also, I think that a story about Hiro losing losing his virginity is not really going to appeal to many Heroes fans. Well, I didn't find it particularly interesting. Has there ever been any mention of Hiro's virginity in any Heroes episodes. I don't think so and
Jacob Chinchen
The untold-but-mostly-already-told story of Hiro and Charlie. It's not rubbish, but it hardly needed a novel to flesh out six months of back story. In a way, not knowing everything was better. If for no other reason than it meant not reading this book.
Jenny
Hey, Heroes fans! If you can’t get enough of the show, then read this book. It’s too bad they didn’t make a 2-hour movie on this part of Hiro’s life. I’m sorry to say that if you’ve never seen season one of Heroes, then you probably won’t understand a thing that happens in the novel.
I thought that it was a good idea of having a novel on Charlie and Hiro’s romance because I really loved Charlie!! She was on the show for, like, 3 episodes and then she gets killed off right away. That’s just wro
Sarah Yasmin
Adventurous. Hiro's destiny is not to save Charlie but to save the world. It is a disappointment when the ending, Charlie is not saved. Overall, this book is quite interesting for me. I love the part when Hiro freeze the time for Charlie and a thousands of origami were floating in the air. Those moment are so sweet. Hiro had do his best to change the fate before Charlie's death. He didn't want Charlie to die. He think, he loves Charlie so much. His friend try to stop him, but he didn't care what ...more
Meg
Dec 22, 2007 Meg rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heroes fans
This book is a 260 page long SQUEE. For real. Hilariously awesome. It is impossible to put the book down and NOT be smiling, which is impressive considering (a) we all know how it ends and (b) uh, the ending isn't the greatest. But as we learn during the course of the book, while life may not be a fairy tale, and the endings are almost never happy, it's the middle that counts. Also, I'm sure the author got a kick out of writing the scene in which Kaito is vaguely annoyed by Hiro's Star Trek post ...more
Mitchell
Read this a long time ago, back when Heroes was still on. I don't remember much of it, but I read the whole thing in one sitting. Probably wouldn't enjoy it now, but it's fun remembering it as a good book.
J.
Eric
Fun to revisit these characters from the show, but at tier his felt like a bad romance novel. It was worth a read for me, but i can't recommend it for anyone that's not a big Heroes fan.
Cathrine Bonham
Apr 03, 2010 Cathrine Bonham rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Obsesed Heroes Fans.
This book was really just elaborating on the six months that Hiro spent with Charlie in Season One of the Television show "Heroes." And it didn't really tell me anything that I didn't get out of the TV show.

This book is not the worst thing I have ever read but it came pretty close. I think the Author must have missed the "Show Don't Tell" Lecture in creative writing class.

Guess if someone missed the first Season of "Heroes" and recently caught the Fourth Season and they found themselves wonderi
Aj
It is a rare thing, for me to set a book down and give up on it.
This is an exception.
I made it about 35 pages into it before the writing style made me want to gouge my eyes out with a spork. The writing style and narrative quality of this novel were akin to that of a teenager writing slash in an online forum. Using So. Cal. valley-girl colloquialisms, I felt that Hiro and charlie's story was being told to me by a middle-school girl on too much caffeine.

As much as I liked this particular subplot
Walter
Should have been a graphic novel ...

I was expecting a pleasant fluffy novel that filled in part of the Heroes/Hiro story that was unseen in the television series. Instead there wasn't much new to it.

*** POSSIBLE SPOILER***

There's a small section where Hiro loses control of his powers that's new and somewhat interesting, but it doesn't add anything. And a close run ins with a earlier versions of himself come off as minor inconveniences rather than moments of tension.

***SPOILER END***

Overall, n
Aprile
I was unsure about this book since it was based on one of my favourite television shows and I was not totally sure how that would work. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the book! The plot was great, and made me look at Hiro and Charlie's relationship on a much deeper level. I think that she changed Hiro and the way he was, and you never really were able to respect that before. Seeing how their relationship worked and how they were able to deal with their problems, made me fall even more in ...more
Wasn't it a bit of a let down? 3 13 Jun 11, 2012 07:39PM
  • Heroes: Volume One
  • Collision Course (Star Trek: Academy, #1)
  • Troublesome Minds (Star Trek)
  • Heroes: Volume Two
  • Terminator Salvation: The Official Movie Novelization
  • Doctor Who and the Ice Warriors (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 33)
  • First Born (Torchwood, #16)
  • Warehouse 13: A Touch of Fever
  • Primeval: Extinction Event
  • Doctor Who: Snowglobe 7
  • Doctor Who: Sting of the Zygons
  • Falling Skies
  • BISIK
  • Doctor Who: Shining Darkness
  • Stargate Atlantis: Reliquary (Stargate Atlantis, #2)
  • The Unholy Cause (Supernatural, #5)
  • Torchwood: Rift War
  • Doctor Who: The Eyeless
POP! The Misfit (The OC, #2) Spring Break (The OC, #4) Bait & Switch (The OC, #6) Cohen! (The OC, #8)

“[Life] wasn't a fairy tale, and it didn't have a happy ending--but then again, no story did. In the end everybody dies... But you can be happy right up until the last page...” 3 likes