World History for Dummies

World History for Dummies

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  21 reviews

Now updated! Your personal tour guide to the history of the world

Want to know more about global history? This concise guide explains in clear detail all the major players and events that have made the world what it is today. Covering the entirety of human history, this comprehensive resource highlights important developments in everything from religion and science to art

Published April 27th 2009 by For Dummies (first published March 15th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about World History for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World History for Dummies

Zezee
Overall, it’s a good read and I recommend it to others all the time though they may thing it’s dumb to read a book called World History for Dummies, smh. There is much to learn in it. I am peeved about it focusing too much on U.S. and Europe...What I enjoyed the most though are the little sidebars with random facts on history, like the one on Rodrigo de Jerez who was reported to the Spanish Inquisition for smoking tobacco (sucks for him; he spent seven years in prison). That’s before smoking bec...more
Kevin Buckley

I read this book because I wanted to have a better understanding of the time line of history (what was going on in other parts of the world while Athens was starting democracy, etc). This book did an ok job of that. The one thing that drove me crazy was how every other page would,in the middle of a paragraph, ask me to go to a certain page for more on the topic in that particular section. I do know how to use an index.
Naftoli
Okay, so my criticism of this book is that it is far too incomplete yet it's a Dummies book so seems a bit unfair of me. It does do a good job at quick review.
Michelle Chan
A most informative book that bravely attempts to organise the mess of events that have happened over such a long period of time.
James
The book doesn't meet its ambition, and the structure is wonky. But it DOES break some world history down into very chewable bits. If you like true stories, well, here's some good ones. (Not looking at the biggest events in history to satisfy your passion for True Stories is surely missing the forest in the trees.)
David Lebron

I have almost completed this book. I like the "For Dummies" books and this one, while not the best one that I have read, was pretty good. The way the material is organized is rather quirky, but it did give a decent overview of World History.
Carly
a standard run-down of thousands of years of world history. This book basically gives you short and simple explanations of major historical events. I love this kind of book because I can find something very interesting that I want to learn more about.
Luba Moshcovich
Actually this is not the world history, the author briefly goes over other continents but this book is mostly about European history and their colonization of the world. I must admit the the book was fairly objective and a good summary of European history.
B.
Dec 30, 2009 B. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Of course I will be reading this. I love "for dummies" books and whenever there is a topic or subject that interests me, I see if there is a "for dummies" book on it. It is a great book to introduce you to the subject matter.
Fariz Danial
A great overview by many world history. Not to mention you have to finish this book, but it show many variety of history event and specific people you would like to know first.

Adam Bricker
It was interesting and varied. Granted it was repetitive in spots, as are all the For Dummies books I've read, but that just helps to drive home the points they're making.
Rachel
Really good so far. The information is organized several different ways, so you can approach events chronologically or look up specific people or ideologies.
Jessica
I was not taught world history well in high school. I skimmed this and re-read parts occasionally. The "For Dummies" series is good for this.
Dalia Ismail
Not the typical study guide. It's more like a scratch-the-surface kind of historical reference, laid in a feel-good, humorous style.
Comicfairy (Leanne)
Love history, am a bit of a dummy (ha!), and figured this might be entertaining enough to get me back into school mode. We'll see!
Quizzyperson
If you're looking for information laced with evolution, this is the book for you!
Stacy
Jan 10, 2009 Stacy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, students, anyone interested in a "crash course" in World History
Very good information, easy to read and great if you have to study quickly for a test.
Josette
Trying to remediate my poor education in history....
Cary
Sep 06, 2007 Cary is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I need this desperately. Cheat-sheet. Thankful.
Kathy
A great easy overview of MANY subjects!
Naro
Naro marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Eugenia Liontou
Eugenia Liontou marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Hajer Elmahdi
Hajer Elmahdi marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Rosamund Isley
Rosamund Isley marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Meisam s
Meisam s marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Eliza Rader
Eliza Rader marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
  • The Bible for Dummies
  • Jane Austen For Dummies
  • Forensics for Dummies
  • Catholicism for Dummies
Was Napoleon Poisoned?: And Other Unsolved Mysteries of Royal History De kleine geschiedenis voor dummies Biology: Decade by Decade