Start by marking “Upon the Altar of the Nation: A Moral History of the Civil War” as Want to Read:
Upon the Altar of the Nation: A Moral History of the Civil War

Upon the Altar of the Nation: A Moral History of the Civil War

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  148 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
A profound and timely examination of the moral underpinnings of the War Between the States The Civil War was not only a war of armies but also a war of ideas, in which Union and Confederacy alike identified itself as a moral nation with God on its side. In this watershed book, Harry S. Stout measures the gap between those claims and the war's actual conduct. Ranging from t ...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Penguin Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Upon the Altar of the Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upon the Altar of the Nation

Michael Roueche
Feb 23, 2015 Michael Roueche rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting, enjoyable and worthwhile read. It seems to set out to examine whether the Civil War was a "just war." I'm not sure it left me with a clear conclusion on that issue, however, it did leave me with a much better feeling for the descent of both sides into the tragedy of precedent-setting "total war." Stout does a great job of portraying citizens, clergy, press, politicians and generals descending into increased acceptance of spilled blood; while many eventually developed a near blo ...more
John E
Nov 18, 2009 John E rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most upsetting books I have ever read. The author is so self-righteous about imposing his morality on the participants in the Civil War.

He fails to recognize that the war was fought in the South so that the damage was in the South. He totally discards the culpability of non-military support to the war and any violence directed toward them.

In the end he equates the "moral" lapses of the war makers, especially in the North, to Hitler and likens Sherman's march to the sea to the Holoca
Bob
Jan 30, 2012 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
It seems like war is a defining in every American generation. My father was part of the Greatest Generation fighting in the European Theater during WW2. For me, it was hoping that Richard Nixon would wind down the Vietnam war before my number came up in the lottery. For my son, it has been the post 9/11 wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Perhaps no war has been more defining in the American Experience than the Civil War--in the loss of lives, the end of slavery, the death of Lincoln, Reconstruction, t
Kaci
Oct 05, 2010 Kaci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A unique history of the entire war, focusing on the way in which it was fought and perceived by those at home. There are some problematic areas where Stout fails to fully analyze key issues such as the Emancipation Proclamation and the lack of proportionality in the presses. The book also reads more like a religious history instead of a moral one at times. Nevertheless, a thought-provoking work.
J.D. Miller
Aug 06, 2007 J.D. Miller rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
I just never understood this book. The cover says "a moral history of the Civil War" and I was all excited. Instead, the book careened into religious reactions to the war and pulpit recordings of ten thousand and one priest and reverends. This book, if anything, reinforces my will of finishing a book no matter how bad.
James
Sep 02, 2015 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: civil-war
A very interesting book written by someone who does not know a great deal about the Civil War. This book might only interest people with an interest in America's religious history and theology. It will almost certainly upset anyone who knows a great deal or has read much of the scholarship about the Civil War. Stout has a very interesting perspective on the War and comes at his history of the Civil War from an angle that most historians have neglected. However Stout is somewhat limited by the fa ...more
Janet
Jul 28, 2010 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teaching the Civil War has always been a dilemma for me as it is difficult to argue that war is never the right choice when this particular war ended slavery. In "Upon the Altar of the Nation," Stout gives me a new perspective by arguing that the horrific bloodshed was a result of an emerging civic religion that both justified the destruction and demanded it as a baptism of blood, a demand the generals of both sides seemed willing to meet (except McClellan). Rarely, as Stout points out, did anyo ...more
Mark
Jul 28, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harry S. Stout's "Moral History of the Civil War" is a story well-told. Alternating between battlefield accounts, secular and religious press coverage, and the sermonizing of countless ministers and chaplains from both North and South, Stout convincingly demonstrates how the Civil War was the "fulcrum" of American history. All the bloodbaths gave birth to an American Civil Religion which still carries weight to this day.

Stout falls short of calling the Civil War an unjust war. But he shows us re
John
Jan 26, 2011 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There ought to be more books of this nature written--moral critiques of wars. Stout does an excellent job of sorting through the history of the march toward war, the conduct of the war, and finally an evaluation of the two sides as peace prevailed. It is clear from the beginning that the North believed the cause of 'Union' was a just one--that secession must be defeated. Nowhere was this evaluated--it was assumed. What an amazing assumption! It is also clear that the radical ideology of abolitio ...more
Jo Stafford
I didn't get as much out of this book as I thought I would, and I'm not sure why that is the case. I was intrigued by the premise of a moral history of the Civil War but in reading it, at times I had doubts about where Stout was heading. For quite a while, I thought he was going to conclude that the Civil War was an unjust war (a position I do not hold), but he laid that notion to rest in the afterword. Yet some of the reasoning behind his conclusion that the Civil War was a just war seemed supe ...more
Scott
Oct 20, 2008 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Excellent. Finally a book on the Civil War that looks at history of it from start to finish not just as names and dates, nor a romanticized view of knights in shining armor dying for hearth and home. Harry S. Stout takes a hard look at both the promenint names, the rank and file, and finally those on the homefront of both sides. He manages to untwist the years of 'lost cause' mentality of the south and the 'crusaders' of the north to paint a portrait of what really happened in this country a hun ...more
Marsha
Apr 28, 2014 Marsha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sad to read such a biased and disturbing monograph by a very well respected historian. This book should be read by students of history in order to see that even well respected historians can go on a rant and destroy their credibility.

Stout spends the entire time setting up the Civil War as an unjust war, then bails at the end. His views on the Emancipation Proclamation is startling, as his odd defense of McClellan.

This is a good book for discussion, or for teaching students how NOT to do histor
Matthew
generally, a quick read and quite interesting. there's something, however, "off" about it and I'm not sure I can put my finger on it. It's not so much a "history" as a Jeremiad, much like the ones Stout himself chronicles in the book. His observations on how the Civil War created the image of the US as a "Christian nation" are fascinating but he then makes a leap (which I don't understand) that the war created "civil religion." Isn't that just Christianity?
Mike Huey
Apr 02, 2014 Mike Huey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read a few chapters and took it back to the library. Not my cup of tea.
Roger Briggs
Mar 10, 2014 Roger Briggs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Past is Prologue...where are we now...we are not far enough...
Dan Chance
Nov 17, 2011 Dan Chance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic
This was the first Civil War history I have ever read and I was surprised by 1) the unquenchable thirst for blood evidenced by the actions of both sides 2) the enthusiasm for the war expressed by "men of God/peace" and 3) the total devotion to the cause of each side when other men from the same area sometimes were diametrically opposed.
Tiffany
Jul 25, 2007 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An honest look at the conduct of individuals/communities involved in the Civil War. Stout raises some interesting parallels between the Civil War and the Iraqi "War." In particular, the failure of our generation to question the conduct of society and individuals "at war." A rich discourse supported by solid and arresting research.
Margaret Sankey
Gorgeously phrased, as I expected from a Yale theologian, with troops advancing at Cold Harbor "in lockstep madness," West Point as the "first seminary of American Civil Religion," although I seemed to have already been disabused of the beloved myths about the Civil War he kept promising to demolish.
David
Aug 07, 2009 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best Civil War book I've ever read although the conclusion that the sacrifice of blood was ultimately redemptive left something to be desired.
Bob
Oct 25, 2007 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historians; clergy types; would be politicians
Shelves: history
Both the South and the North claimed God's blessing for their side. Great analysis of the misuse of religion.
Stefan
Sep 19, 2011 Stefan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're interested in Civil Religion in America this book touches nicely on the topic.
M
Oct 24, 2010 M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing.
Norton
Norton rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Sam McCabe
Sam McCabe marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Luqdah
Luqdah marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Patrick J. King
Patrick J. King rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Korey Peterson
Korey Peterson is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2016
Henry
Henry marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
  • Awash in a Sea of Faith: Christianizing the American People
  • Drawn with the Sword: Reflections on the American Civil War
  • The Fate of Liberty: Abraham Lincoln and Civil Liberties
  • The Bloody Shirt: Terror After Appomattox
  • Lincoln's Gamble: How the Emancipation Proclamation Changed the Course of the Civil War
  • America's Great Debate: Henry Clay, Stephen A. Douglas, and the Compromise That Preserved the Union
  • In the Presence of Mine Enemies: The Civil War in the Heart of America, 1859-1864
  • The Democratization of American Christianity
  • Crucible of Command: Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee--The War They Fought, The Peace They Forged
  • The Long Road to Antietam: How the Civil War Became a Revolution
  • Apostles of Disunion: Southern Secession Commissioners and the Causes of the Civil War
  • The Unknown American Revolution: The Unruly Birth of Democracy and the Struggle to Create America
  • The Gettysburg Gospel: The Lincoln Speech That Nobody Knows
  • The Radical and the Republican: Frederick Douglass, Abraham Lincoln, and the Triumph of Antislavery Politics
  • Hardtack and Coffee or, The Unwritten Story of Army Life