Start by marking “On the Couch” as Want to Read:
On the Couch

On the Couch

Lorraine Bracco is known to millions as psychiatrist Dr. Melfi on HBO's The Sopranos. It's hard to imagine that this formidable woman spent years struggling to free herself from depression, serious money problems, and a disastrous relationship that led to a widely-publicized child-custody battle. Here, she openly reveals the details of her struggle-and the treatment that h ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Berkley Trade (first published June 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about On the Couch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Couch

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertPersepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Memoirs by Women
401st out of 1,817 books — 2,138 voters
Bossypants by Tina FeyWishful Drinking by Carrie FisherThe Funny Thing Is... by Ellen DeGeneresIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingHere We Go Again by Betty White
Female Celebrity Books
139th out of 155 books — 124 voters

More lists with this book...

Steph
Jun 09, 2009 Steph rated it it was amazing
This was a book I had heard about somewhere and upon hearing a rave review, I knew I had to read it immediately.

I picked it up and tore through it within a few days.

The life story of Lorraine Bracco is very turbulent and the way that she manages to keep her life in check is amazing.

While living through many different decades, both with successful and failed relationships, raising children, and working as an actress, model, writer and business owner, she manages to keep it all together, on the
Amanda
May 17, 2013 Amanda rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: US Weekly readers
Again, I think a matter of disappointed expectations. I was hoping for more of an exploration of Bracco's depression, and how she handled it, and a reinforcement of its validity as a clinical condition. Instead, it was more of a self-inspired biography, taking the reader through the entirety of Bracco's life to date. As a peep at the life of a b-list actor, intriguing, but it didn't had the substance I was expecting.
Cheryl Schibley
Jul 12, 2009 Cheryl Schibley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone!
Shelves: memoir-biography
I just finish the most wonderful book!!! It's "On the Couch" by Lorraine Bracco. I loved it!!! It's honest and enlightening. She was involved with actor Harvey Keitel and Edward James Olmos and has two daughters and she tells it all. She's a strong, wonderful woman we can all learn something from. Harvey Keitel sounds like a real dick though!!!
Roger Charles
Jan 26, 2016 Roger Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
direct, forth coming and frank; Lorraine comes across as a valiant woman
Cheryl Poole-Musgrove
I just finished watching The Sopranos for the first time. For a Jersey person that is unacceptable however, I am grateful for the timing as I picked up this book near the last season.

Lorraine Bracco likes to think she was ordinary in high school and later in life but she is more than ordinary, she sparkles, she has charisma! She writes this book about her life, her years as a young person, young adulthood living in France and later marrying Harvey Keitel which turned into the worst custody battl
Lee
Jan 16, 2010 Lee rated it liked it
Ran across this book at a WaldenBooks store closing and was a huge fan of The Sopranos so thought I'd check out this book by "Dr. Melfi". It was an enjoyable read. Of course, she's the author so I'd expect her story to be biased, yet if even a portion of the story she tells about her former husband, Harvey Keitel, is true, he's some piece of work!?

Quick read and her big push is for those suffering from depression (as she did for a time) to seek professional help through medication, therapy, or w
Suzan Satterfield
Nov 19, 2007 Suzan Satterfield rated it liked it
This is a light read and it's like listening to a friend tell you the story of her life. The author, Lorraine Bracco, played Dr. Melfi on the Sopranos, but much of the book is about her life before that point. It's a fascinating life, but she repeats her observations and life's lessons to the point that I began to skim over some parts (yeah, yeah...you said that already). The biggest revelation to me is that Harvey Keitel is really an imbalanced vindictive guy. Too bad, but I guess that shows ...more
Evett DiBianco
Feb 22, 2008 Evett DiBianco rated it it was amazing
Shelves: celebrity-status
Didn't think I was going to love this book so much. Just thought Lorraine Bracco was going to talk her role on the Soprano's, but it was so much more about her life and her struggles as a mom and wife. The end is so powerful...she makes me want to be a better woman and to make my dreams come true. :)
Joe Bartello
Dec 30, 2009 Joe Bartello rated it really liked it
Bracco lays her life bare in this really good biography from her childhood to her latest 'most famous' role in the Sopranos. Broken marriages and custody battles make up a good part of the story and if you are a fan of Harvey Keitel, you might want to give this book a pass. He doesn't come out as much of a star is this profile.
Joy
I love this book; checked it out from the library and liked it so much I bought it. She's had a very interesting life and talks about her battle with depression, her marriages, child custody fight, getting nominated for an Oscar for Good Fellas and playing one of the best TV shrinks, Dr. Melfi, on The Sopranos.
Sun
Jun 07, 2008 Sun rated it liked it
Autobiographical account that is strongest when recounting Bracco's relationship with crazed ex-partner Keitel. However, falls down when she tries to offer fluffy, optimisitic advice. A solid, easy weekend read. Interesting that the presence men around her is so dramatic and pervasive whereas Bracco herself is a background character in her own biography.
Joseph
Feb 17, 2011 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very frank & honest "baring-of-the-soul"-type autobiography. I like her even more, after having read it, and I already liked her quite a bit before. If this were more in keeping with my usual fare, I'd probably add a star—or at least 1/2. Recommended, for sure.
Carlo
Aug 04, 2007 Carlo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, non-fiction
Lorraine provides us with an insightful look into her own experience with depression and therapy. You don't need to be a fan to enjoy this book, but it's her celebrity that helps makes her account more human, thus accessible and relatable to the everyday person.
Kate
Jul 08, 2008 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lorraine Bracco, perhaps best known for portraying the psychotherapist on The Sopranos, gives her story of depression and how she came out of it. She has perhaps the best summary I've read simple facts of life and love at the end. "Jealousy is not love. It's control."
Nikki DiVirgilio
Aug 07, 2015 Nikki DiVirgilio rated it really liked it
I give it four stars for an easy read and engaging enough to keep me turning pages. But- it was a bit too superficial for my taste and the writing amateur. Isn't there are rule about cliches and exclamation points? If so this one broke them constantly.
Ellen
Dec 25, 2008 Ellen rated it really liked it
Very good book about Lorraine's life..sad at times. Kind of an abrupt change of style at the end, a little off but good just the same.
Luke A. Bunker
May 22, 2010 Luke A. Bunker rated it really liked it
Well-written, candid, and telling. A powerful and compelling story from a powerful and compelling woman.
Valerie F
Nov 12, 2007 Valerie F rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Sopranos fans
It was interesting to see the actress who plays Dr. Melfi, one of the more famous TV-shrinks, talk about her experiences with work, life, relationships, and especially depression.
Sara
Jun 28, 2008 Sara rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of The Sopranos
Terrific memoir from one of my favorites in The Soprano's cast. She comes across as warm & approachable, someone you'd like to have lunch with. What an interesting life!
Nancy Iraheta
Aug 06, 2007 Nancy Iraheta rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Depression
This woman not only portrayed a psychiatrist on the hit show, "The Sopranos" but was also facing depression in real life!

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! it's an inspiration!
Denise
Jul 24, 2012 Denise added it
if u like lorraine you must read this, shocking life and many battles, not at all what you would have imagined. Great photos too, loved it
Eileen Ybarra
Feb 07, 2014 Eileen Ybarra rated it really liked it
This is a fun and entertaining autobiography, I enjoyed her honesty and warmth which came through the narrative.
Niki
Oct 24, 2008 Niki rated it really liked it
Interesting book if you like autobiographies. She is an interesting lady with a surprising history. I liked the book alot and it read easily.
Mel
Mel rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2013
Karma
Karma rated it liked it
May 11, 2009
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2013
Glynis
Glynis rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Theresa
Jun 25, 2009 Theresa rated it liked it
Mara: think you'd like this book. A book written by an incredibly strong woman.
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Sopranos Family Cookbook: As Compiled by Artie Bucco
  • The Sopranos: The Book: The Complete Deluxe Edition
  • How I Write: The Secret Lives of Authors
  • 50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know (Gentlemanners Books)
  • California Dreamin': The True Story of the Mamas and the Papas The Music, the Madness, the Magic that was
  • The Unruly Life of Woody Allen: A Biography
  • The Ice Opinion: Who Gives a Fuck?
  • The Tao of Willie: A Guide to the Happiness in Your Heart
  • Her Mother's Daughter: A Memoir of the Mother I Never Knew and of My Daughter, Courtney Love
  • Just When I Thought I'd Dropped My Last Egg: Life and Other Calamities
  • Italian for Dummies
  • Papa John
  • Dream Lovers: The Magnificent Shattered Lives of Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee - by Their Son Dodd Darin
  • Patient: The True Story of a Rare Illness
  • The Prince of Providence: The True Story of Buddy Cianci, America's Most Notorious Mayor, Some Wiseguys, and the Feds
  • Madonna
  • The Full Ridiculous
  • Chocolate, Please: My Adventures in Food, Fat, and Freaks

“You can't change other people. You can only change yourself. Everyone's got problems. You learn from them, you live with them, you move on. It's choice you make if you want to have a happy life. Nobody's perfect. People are different and that's what makes them so interesting. You only get one father. The quicker you accept him for who he is, the better your life will be. Your father is who he is. Nobody can change that. Find your self esteem from the inside.” 27 likes