Start by marking “The Broadcast” as Want to Read:
The Broadcast

The Broadcast

On the day of the historic broadcast of The War of the Worlds by Orson Welles which triggered panic in many places it sounded so real, a family in the countryside fears for its life and also has to deal with strangers and neighbors coming in for help. The tension brings to the surface long suppressed emotions and conflicts and a violent reckoning in a dark stormy night.
Published October 1st 2010 by NBM Publishing (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Broadcast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Broadcast

Joy
Fears of an alien invasion, sparked by Orson Welles' "War of the World" broadcast, bring old grudges in a rural Indiana community to the surface in this graphic novel.
Aaron Brame
Jan 19, 2014 Aaron Brame rated it it was ok
The graphic novel tells the story of a small Indiana community on the night of the titular broadcast. In this town, a storm knocks out the power just as Wells's story is getting going, and the townsfolk are left to fend for themselves in the face of what they perceive to be an alien invasion.

It's got a little bit of Night of the Living Dead in it, as well as some of the hysteria of that Twilight Zone episode, "The Shelter." But in the end, this story doesn't have much to do with The War of the W
Ryan
Jan 19, 2014 Ryan rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Despite the description and the title, this isn't a graphic novel about War of the Worlds. That radio drama broadcast is a Macguffin that lurks in the background, but this is really more about the monsters within the human heart - paranoia, distrust, and hatred. The creators really want to focus on those things, and how stressful situations can reveal those monsters, but pairing it with that legendary broadcast creates a cool context for fans of OTR drama.

Another thing I really liked about this
Glen Farrelly
Jun 03, 2016 Glen Farrelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-books
Interesting story with some good characters, but the art really didn't work for me. I love what the feeling that the artist was trying to convey, but it was at the expense of being able to tell clearly what was happen and to be able to clearly distinguish characters. I've seen ugly graphic art before, but never have I seen any that prevented from conveying the story or message except this one.
Judy
Oct 30, 2013 Judy rated it it was amazing
Read it to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the "War of the Word's" broadcast (October 30, 1938). This is the first graphic novel I ever read. I did not realize that a graphic novel could convey as much substance and character development and plot line as a traditional novel, but this one surely did. I'm very glad I read this. I'll likely read more graphic novels because of this one.
Mike
Jun 23, 2011 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I liked how the author carried the story beyond the "War of the World" broadcast and the "alien invasion" to show the conflicts of some of the inhabitants of an Indiana town. The story demonstrates how under stress and fear our emotions reveal so much more than just a concern for the immediate crisis.
Kate
Jan 15, 2011 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Good story about a small group of families who hear Oroson Welles' War of the Worlds broadcast and are swept up in paranoia. Solid storytelling in both language and images. My only quibble is that the looseness of the drawings tended to be distracting. I would have appreciated a little more crispness and I think that would have complemented the story. I like the style, just not the pairing.
Rosa Hope Hobbs
May 28, 2011 Rosa Hope Hobbs rated it it was amazing
Set in Rural Indiana during the War Of The Worlds broadcast... The story was fast paced and realistic to the time frame. As the reader, one can't help but feel sucked into the story. Enjoyed this graphic novel and have actually re-read this one.
Brian
Jul 21, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This is an extremely well-written little story. The pacing is wonderful. My only complaint is that the art is a bit too muddled at times. I enjoyed the style, but if certain panels had been cleaner it would have come together a lot more for me.
Alex
Mar 12, 2013 Alex added it
i really though it was an interesting book i finished it peretty quickly because it was an awesome book i found marvins character the most interesing i give it 4 out of 5 stars i recommend reading it
John Jimenez
John Jimenez rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2014
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2012
P.
P. rated it did not like it
Nov 13, 2014
Len
Len rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Jesse Prevoo
Jesse Prevoo rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2013
Mitch Donaberger
A bit tough to chew on. Good though.
Steve
BL834
BL834 rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2011
Stacy
Stacy rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Eric Hobbs
Apr 21, 2011 Eric Hobbs rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Deanna
Deanna rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2011
Jenny Stark
Jenny Stark rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
May 22, 2011
Lance Eaton
Lance Eaton rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2010
Ardem
Ardem rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Clay
Clay rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Terry Mulcahy
Terry Mulcahy rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
  • BB Wolf and the Three LPs
  • The Golem's Mighty Swing
  • Salem Brownstone: All Along the Watchtowers
  • How I Made It to Eighteen: A Mostly True Story
  • Adventures of Dr. McNinja: Night Powers
  • Crogan's March (The Crogan Adventures #2)
  • Old City Blues
  • Spell Checkers, Vol. 1
  • The Zabime Sisters
  • Set to Sea
  • Red: A Haida Manga
  • One Soul
  • The Never Weres
  • Death and Taxes (The Sons of Liberty #2)
  • Noir: A Collection of Crime Comics